Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

tarlibone posted:

Listen, dipshit. It's not like there's not a video clip proving that "Malcom" is the right spelling. So, maybe check things out before you open our mouth?

My guess is that in the second book, published right before the Great Sentient Jellyfish & Squid Invasion of 2042, will have a blurb about that episode where they say "yeah, it's supposed to be 'Malcolm,' but we hosed up and it was too late to fix it, so we went with it."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

My guess is that in the second book, published right before the Great Sentient Jellyfish & Squid Invasion of 2042, will have a blurb about that episode where they say "yeah, it's supposed to be 'Malcolm,' but we hosed up and it was too late to fix it, so we went with it."

The Venture Bros reboot will be near identical but feature Inklings.

...actually, a lot about the story modes is starting to make sense when you put it that way...

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

the real reason the monarch was mad was because rusty said it with the silent L

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

TK-42-1 posted:

the real reason the monarch was mad was because rusty said it with the silent L

I just must say (perhaps repeat) that I loved Rusty's reaction there.

Think about the lifetime of neverending, intense, batshit insanity that led to that "(Pfft.) Malcom?" He's standing there with some of his dad's former superhero friends, his dad--long known to be dead--is in the PROBLEM... at least his head is... and his archenemy shows up, ready to wreck havoc upon a situation that can only be described as several separate havocs years in the making and already in progress... things are blowing up, all hell's about to break loose, and even the Über driver bolted... and confronted with all of this at once, the only thing worth a comment from Doc was the Monarch's suddenly revealed real first name.

gently caress Young Sheldon. I want The Rusty Venture Show, except it's the actual story of his life, not Jonas's sterilized version of it.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I love the bit where Hank says to Dermott that the most insane lies he can come up with work perfectly on Doc because their real life is so insane that he can't meaningfully tell the difference.

sanko
Sep 11, 2001
Lies.

tarlibone posted:

Listen, dipshit. It's not like there's not a video clip proving that "Malcom" is the right spelling. So, maybe check things out before you open our mouth?

good catch, tarlibone!

the korean animation studio is notoriously bad at all kinds of small details, including written text. jackson and doc hammer have mentioned numerous examples in the dvd commentary, so i wouldn't consider a typo slipping by in a briefly seen heads-up display an impossibility. is the monarch's given name mentioned in the art book?

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Also names are stupid and spelled however the parents want. My cousins are named Justen and Romy (rhymes with Tommy).

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Phenotype posted:

Also names are stupid and spelled however the parents want. My cousins are named Justen and Romy (rhymes with Tommy).

this is an act of parental aggression

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

sanko posted:

good catch, tarlibone!

the korean animation studio is notoriously bad at all kinds of small details, including written text. jackson and doc hammer have mentioned numerous examples in the dvd commentary, so i wouldn't consider a typo slipping by in a briefly seen heads-up display an impossibility. is the monarch's given name mentioned in the art book?

IIRC there's some cases where they specifically asked to animators to include deliberate errors in animation (in tribute to Johnny Quest) and they didn't get it and animated it correctly.

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I'm also kind of looking forward to the war between the Guild and the Peril Partnership. Villain vs. villain is always interesting.
Wasn't that ended with the death of the Creeper ? Or did I misunderstand that ?

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I love the bit where Hank says to Dermott that the most insane lies he can come up with work perfectly on Doc because their real life is so insane that he can't meaningfully tell the difference.
Buddy, have you seen contemporary American history?

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I'm also kind of looking forward to the war between the Guild and the Peril Partnership. Villain vs. villain is always interesting.

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011

Phenotype posted:

My cousins are named Justen and Romy (rhymes with Tommy).
Well for that last one, the parents may have just been fans of french and german cinema.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Mr. Lobe posted:

this is an act of parental aggression

Gotta make sure your kid is googlable these days.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

X_Toad posted:

Pretty sure Red Death's killing/almost killing Blind Rage might have escalated things.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

god drat i love the villain names in this show

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
The Lady Bird riff on Ladyhawke just gets me in very dang time.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Doublepost

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

feedmyleg posted:

The Lady Bird riff on Ladyhawke just gets me in very dang time.

I didn't even think about that that. I just thought lady bird because her nickname was Lady Bird.

Edit: though now that I think about it, it would have made more sense for her to turn into a lady bug (sometimes called ladybird bug) since Lyndon turned into a bee.

Cojawfee fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Nov 3, 2019

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

feedmyleg posted:

Gotta make sure your kid is googlable these days.

I know someone who took her husband's last name solely because it was more SEO-friendly than hers. Silicon Valley is a hosed up place.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Pretty sure Red Death's killing/almost killing Blind Rage might have escalated things.

It depends. Good chance with Blind Rage they're grateful for getting rid of the guy.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

I’m doing a rewatch and just now realized Gary goes full Rob Liefeld when he adopts the 2 ton 21 getup which is hilariously appropriate

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Was there some episode where characters are discussing mad men and somebody says "that so and so (knowing very little of the show, I'm stilling betting it was pete campbell) is such a weasel" or is that some other cartoon or tv show?

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
No. Sorry.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Milo and POTUS posted:

Was there some episode where characters are discussing mad men and somebody says "that so and so (knowing very little of the show, I'm stilling betting it was pete campbell) is such a weasel" or is that some other cartoon or tv show?

Downtown Abbey? “Lady Violet, you are such a delicious bitch.”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vW2srK6zETw

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Mr. Nice! posted:

That's not it and it's probably not this show but I love how quickly they turned on Al

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Mr. Nice! posted:

I still love how the Guild is interwoven with real-world celebrities to the point where arching Al from Home Improvement seems plausible.

...come to think of it, Tim might basically be a lower-budget version of Rusty given how dangerously his inventions often backfire.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
Yeah, I could see Rusty selling out his drug dealer buddies for reduced prison time then going on to be a minor avatar for Walt Disney.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I just rewatched the entire series for like the sixth time this year. I have no idea why but it’s my go-to when I need something on in the background... and then I end up actually paying attention every single time.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

I was listening to Ashes to Ashes and just now, after 17 years, realized that The Action Man is yet another David Bowie reference.

fake edit: Though I guess this was in the artbook and I forgot.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Though Action Man is also an existing franchise, more or less the British counterpart to GI Joe. Back as a kid in Australia he was on an extreme sports kick, I had the go-kart.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
The whole intro to the Major Tom episode (the "ghost pirates" that are neither ghosts or pirates) is a combination of Ashes to Ashes and Space Oddity lines (with the spaceship being named the TVC15 as a bonus).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-aqvIU1dkD8

Mega64 fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Jan 9, 2020

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I really wish they'd do some shorts set pre-S3 finale of 21 and 24. Killing 24 was a great idea and it did a lot for 21's character, but I had the episode where they infiltrated Spider Skull Island on before and I really miss that whole dynamic.

Plus, you know, something to make the giant wait between seasons more bearable. Man I need some more of this show.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Them doing more content just makes the main content take longer. Also, I think they killed off 24 because doing his voice was too taxing or something. It sucks because that was my favorite duo.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Another reason I need more of this show is apparently due to the runtime of all the seasons (plus the 15 seconds or so of ads the Adult Swim app inserts in between episodes), the Marathon stream is a multiple of 24 hours.

I've become accustomed to putting on the marathon stream with the sleep timer on my TV when I go to bed, but since they put the latest season in the marathon, only a small subset of episodes end up coming up in the stream.

The total runtime of Venture Bros with specials is 1day, 5 hours, 42 minutes. So, with the commercial breaks and general stream buffering, it's probably almost exactly 30 hours (15 seconds of ads per 85 episodes is 21.5 minutes). So it essentially cycles every 5 days with just a tiny bit of drift.

Basically, you see the same 5 episodes over and over for about a month until things have drifted far enough to start hitting a different 5 episodes.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I really wish they'd do some shorts set pre-S3 finale of 21 and 24. Killing 24 was a great idea and it did a lot for 21's character, but I had the episode where they infiltrated Spider Skull Island on before and I really miss that whole dynamic.
The Dark S-7 Maneuver

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

DACK FAYDEN posted:

The Dark S-7 Maneuver

That's what a dark S7 is?

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

Surely that dynamic is the remit of Watch and Ward, now, right? I mean, there's a half dozen duos that are voiced by both of the creators for this sort of thing, but semi-competent minion duo is surely Watch and Ward.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

LashLightning posted:

Surely that dynamic is the remit of Watch and Ward, now, right? I mean, there's a half dozen duos that are voiced by both of the creators for this sort of thing, but semi-competent minion duo is surely Watch and Ward.

If they killed 24 because his voice was hard to do, I can't imagine Watch and Ward would be a better substitute.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

LashLightning posted:

Watch and Ward are more semi-competent bureaucrats than minions. It's a subtle but important distinction.