Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

the cover of the standard bluray is not only much nicer looking, but also more visually striking and more representative of the movie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nroo
Dec 31, 2007

Cacator posted:

I'm a sick gently caress who prefers Fallen Angels to Chungking Express so I'm really looking forward to a Criterion release of that.

:hfive:

Yesssss The Cremator loving owns

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Me You and Everyone We Know is worse than Tiny Furniture, imo.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Definitely in for The Grand Budapest Hotel (barely inches out over The Royal Tenenbaums as my favorite Anderson), Destry Rides Again, and The Cremator.

Worth noting that Army of Shadows is the first time they've brought back a Blu-ray into print without any changes. That makes it the first StudioCanal title besides Lola in the BRD Trilogy box to come back to Criterion since they went OOP en masse back in 2010-2012.

Kino Lorber also posted on the Blu-ray.com forums that Lionsgate re-licensed The Third Man, so it won't be coming back any time soon (though, that means it could get a UHD), but apparently Criterion has Le Trou and Peeping Tom.

Also, I think we can assume one of the next titles to go OOP is the silent King of Kings because I was somewhat expecting it to be announced in time for Easter, so it's probably going over to Flicker Alley (Lobster Films already released a French Blu-ray from a new 4K restoration).

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
Destry Rides Again is an all time great Western.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Kull the Conqueror posted:

Destry Rides Again is an all time great Western.

I'm curious just because I want to see Stewart and Dietrich in the same movie

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Gripweed posted:

the cover of the standard bluray is not only much nicer looking, but also more visually striking and more representative of the movie

Yea for me it's the one thing I'm not satisfied with when it comes to the Wes Anderson/Criterion relationship. He(or his brother?) does these doodles for each film and they've always used them for the covers but some work a lot better than others. Not sure why Moonrise Kingdom got a really nice digibook style packaging and all the rest get the standard Anderson doodle.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
Fantastic Mr Fox also has a non-doodle cover.

I like the doodles though and Rushmore is one of my favorite covers in the collection.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I'm not crazy about any of the doodle covers, but the Rushmore one is definitely the biggest improvement over the pre-Criterion cover

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Wes Anderson is just not for me.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Okay, cool.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Demon Seed is a loving trip.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Target.com has another “Buy 2, Get 1 Free” sale that not only includes Criterions, but the Bergman and Godzilla boxes, which are already discounted.

mpaarating
May 6, 2011

The Baddest Boi
I'm watching Rollerball for the first time via criterionchannel. Good lord this movie really goes off the rails 3/4 of the way through.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

yea ok posted:

Sorry, this video cannot be played while your device is connected to this external monitor.

if anyone having this problem still (almost 1 year after website made) if you put your mouse on the little trackbar thing now on the new video player as the page loads, the movie will play. idk why this only happens to me and only me, but maybe someone else out there has/had this same problem. gently caress you vimeo gently caress you critter channel!!!

MystOpportunity
Jun 27, 2004
Amazon has most Criterions buy 2 get 1, not sure for how long, but some fine deals.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

mpaarating posted:

I'm watching Rollerball for the first time via criterionchannel. Good lord this movie really goes off the rails 3/4 of the way through.

Yeah it's great!

Ratedargh
Feb 20, 2011

Wow, Bob, wow. Fire walk with me.
So Roma was definitely just the first in an extended relationship between Netflix and Criterion. The Irishman, Marriage Story, Atlantics, and American Factory will all be released at some point. Regardless of your feelings about these movies, I am glad they're getting physical releases.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Ratedargh posted:

So Roma was definitely just the first in an extended relationship between Netflix and Criterion. The Irishman, Marriage Story, Atlantics, and American Factory will all be released at some point. Regardless of your feelings about these movies, I am glad they're getting physical releases.

Source?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

https://twitter.com/netflixfilm/status/1220828780245073920?s=21

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Thanks. Really awesome news.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

The Other Side of the Wind was also confirmed on Facebook.

Also worth noting that it looks like Criterion branding is going to be used worldwide, not just for the US/CA/UK releases, in the case of Roma.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

No one's said it yet so gently caress YEAH MIRANDA JULY

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Aw we don't get ZPG in Canada in the 70s Sci Fi program.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
I just watched Double Suicide Japanese Summer on the criterion channel and goddamn I loved that. I’ve seen people compare Oshima to Godard before but this was def his most Godard. It’s dark and mean and funny in all the right ways.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

It's going away after the 31st, but everyone should check out Leslie Harris' Just Another Girl on the I.R.T..

Ratedargh
Feb 20, 2011

Tonight is the final night for the 70s Sci Fi series on the Channel...should I watch Mad Max, Logan's Run, or Soylent Green? I've never seen any of them.

Or should I say screw the Sci Fi set and watch Kes, which is also leaving.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Ratedargh posted:

Tonight is the final night for the 70s Sci Fi series on the Channel...should I watch Mad Max, Logan's Run, or Soylent Green? I've never seen any of them.

Why not all three?

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Ratedargh posted:

Easily mad max of those three. I haven’t seen Kes

Ratedargh
Feb 20, 2011

Iron Crowned posted:

Why not all three?

Pressed for time, can only fit one.

DeimosRising posted:

Easily mad max of those three. I haven’t seen Kes

Outstanding. Much obliged!

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Not sure if world on a wire leaves tonight too but I better finish it

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Ingmar terdman posted:

Not sure if world on a wire leaves tonight too but I better finish it

Any of the Fassbinder should stay for good.

rngd in the womb
Oct 13, 2009

Yam Slacker
Just started a trial for the Criterion Channel and saw that I just missed the Luis Bunuel collection. Fuuuuuuuuuuuck. At least I can watch more Dardenne bros and Suzuki flicks!

Ratedargh
Feb 20, 2011

Viridiana, Simon of the Desert, The Exterminating Angel, Belle de Jour, and Robinson Crusoe are all still available on the channel from what I can tell.

rngd in the womb
Oct 13, 2009

Yam Slacker
Sweet, thanks. I missed these, I was totally overwhelmed while scrolling down the movie list. It's loving fantastic that some of Abbas Kiarostami's movies and Krzyzstof Kieslowski's A Short Film About Killing are on this platform. I've been wanting to see them for a while.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

What are the odds that Criterion gets to make a blu of The Devils, taking into consideration that the BFI restoration was streaming on the channel in autumn?

It is my single most desired film release.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

What are the odds that Criterion gets to make a blu of The Devils, taking into consideration that the BFI restoration was streaming on the channel in autumn?

It is my single most desired film release.

CPL get on this plz

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

It just left but thanks to whoever recommended Just Another Girl on the IRT, that was a real treat.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Thirded! Made sure to watch it Friday night.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I was led to believe that Smiles of a Summers Night was a romantic comedy? The guy is tormented by his lust for his mother-in-law, who is younger than him. His father, Mother-in-law, and even the maid all know it and tease him mercilessly about it, leaving the guy in a constant state of humiliating arousal. Meanwhile, the father is torn between his lust for his young bride and the fact that he sees her more as a daughter than a wife. So they've never had sex. Which leaves his virginal wife, who also sees him as more of a father than a husband but still wants to have sex with him, terribly sexually frustrated. That's not a romantic comedy! That's a goddamn psycho-sexual semi-incestual nightmare!

And another thing. The back of the case says Smiles of a Summers Night is a Swedish movie, and also a "great erotic comedy". Which would lead any reasonable person to expect that there's gonna be a lot of boobs. But there are no boobs! Not a single boob in the whole 110 minutes.

2/5 stars