Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Flying Twybil
Oct 20, 2019

So what? You can't prove I posted that.
So Mana's a vampire? Makes sense. I'm in the same boat of being surprised that they actually bothered to give an explanation, especially one that has at least some sense to it.

The melon smashing thing is apparently a real thing, by the way. I had to look it up after seeing this update since this was also a minigame in RF:F. Apparently some part of its creation involves getting people to eat more watermelon...?

Also nearly that exact same conversation in the bath happens in RF:F as well. There's a reason why its not necessarily a favorite of mine in the series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

"Being a fangame and not bound to a rating, Pokemon Reborn is able to expand more on topics such as death and the extreme dangers Pokemon could pose. These topics...are treated with the respect such a subject deserves."

Let's throw a Medicham into a volcano and make it give the T2 thumbs up!
~Star Maiden Focus Voting: Round 2~

With the addition of Maiden 13 to the roster, it’s time to see where each of the Maidens stand in the eyes of the thread.

Just like last time, you should cast up to 6 votes for the Maidens that you like the best. The 6 Star Maidens with the highest votes will become the new Focus Maidens and will receive full bonding updates. The other 7 Maidens will just receive summaries of their bonding events.

In case you need a short refresher (check the Bonding Updates if you want detailed refreshers), here are rundowns of the character routes so far:

Alfie is a Star Child that was experimented on 30 years ago in order to artificially make her the Ophiuchus Star Maiden. Awakening as a Star Maiden causes her to experience a bunch of emotions that she’s never had before. She likes watching romance dramas in order to learn about love and also has a beef with a special White Impurity that is roaming the surface.

Arie has a secret room that contains “unspeakable evil” (according to her). Itsuki has been trying to find out what’s inside, but Arie is adamant that he not find out what’s in there. She also seems to be shouldering a lot of guilt for doing things like enjoying the Classmating ritual and talks about “resisting seduction”.

Collette loves bread and runs herself ragged in the name of her bakery. She found out that a rival bakery has opened just down the street from hers (it’s a big chain bakery instead of a mom and pop venture). She took Itsuki on an undercover mission to scope them out and now plans on hiring a part-timer to help her stay competitive. Also there’s some mystery woman/girl that hangs around Collette’s bakery for some reason (which Itsuki has not run into yet).

Farun is a traveler and doesn’t like the fact that she’s now pinned in one place because of the Star Maiden thing. She has a family and a home village, but she is very reluctant to talk about them and seems hesitant to answer letters that her parents send her. During the last event she was acting super weird and giddy, which user GeekTheMage is chalking up to being drunk off her rear end.

Femiruna was acting like a spoiled rich brat and tried to fire a servant because they brought her a food she didn’t like. Itsuki stuck up for the servant and put Femiruna in her place, which has caused her to become weirdly desperate to please Itsuki and change her bad behaviour. She started by forcing herself to overcome her aversion to carrots. We also learned that her family is emotionally distant. She also likes it when Itsuki is forceful or aggressive with her.

Lillith is known as a genius fortune-teller that is never wrong. Lillie does her best to gently caress that up whenever she is in control and enjoys tormenting and threatening customers. Lillith does her best to cover for Lillie and clean up after her pranks, because she still genuinely believes that Lillie is a good girl. Lillie later impersonates Lillith in order to screw with a customer and then chases after another girl that was flipping out at Lillith for a fortune that the girl didn’t like. Itsuki is trying to find a way to connect to Lillie somehow.

Mahiru tries to bond with Itsuki by taking a trip down memory lane. Itsuki and Mahiru discuss the time when Mahiru was young and got bullied at school, only for Itsuki to stand up for her. Mahiru asks Itsuki if he remembers a promise he made to her during an Autumn Festival, but he doesn’t. She then says to forget about it. After that, her route switches to her guilt over almost killing Itsuki with some curry she cooked for him. She takes up a job at the school cafeteria in an effort to improve her skills. Also, she seems to be very popular among the Star God Academy boys, as she keeps getting love letters.

Mirei likes to study and do research on Itsuki. She knocked him out and tied him up at first, but now seems content to just talk to him like a normal person. We found out that she created the Magic Communication devices that the world uses, but she also doesn’t seem interested in helping out anyone that asks her to improve on the range so that they can talk to family farther away. She also recently mentioned a secret room of her own that she goes to in order to refresh. Itsuki doesn’t know anything else about it beyond that.

Reone keeps doing physical checkups on Itsuki and eventually reveals that he looks a lot like her deceased brother, who is the one that actually wanted to be a doctor (not her). She also reveals that she used to be an underground street fighter in order to make a living on the street to support herself and her brother back when he was still alive. She beats the poo poo out of three guys that try to harass her at the bar and has become increasingly protective of Itsuki.

Ruka is a Tsukuyomi, someone that can supposedly read the minds of others by touching their foreheads. She can also supposedly tell whenever someone is lying just by looking at them. Neither of these powers seem to work on Itsuki (or Mahiru) due to being a God’s Gift. We learn that Ruka is an orphan and still works at the orphanage in an effort to be a big sister/caretaker to the other younger orphans. A young girl keeps returning to the orphanage without her shoes and Ruka wants to find out why, but the girl constantly lies to her because Tsukuyomi are not exactly liked by regular people. Ruka creates the “Maiden Club” in order to patrol the academy and find out what is going on with that girl.

Sue has a ranch of animals that she gives fantastical names to. She wants to be a zoologist (although what she actually wants is to be a veterinarian, according to the things she tells us). She finds an injured wolf in the forest and Itsuki helps her bring it back. When the wolf recovers, she and Itsuki go back to the forest to release it into the wild. At this point Sue reveals that she has some kind of abandonment issue which is why she doesn’t like getting close to people.

Tarua likes to run and is a Postal Worker with her boss and adoptive father figure “The Boss”. She constantly runs around at full speed, which causes her to miss houses and take longer for her deliveries than she should. During her last event, she had dropped a letter somewhere along her route and was devastated by it. Itsuki helps her track down the letter and she delivers it to the recipients who tell her it wasn’t a big deal.

Yuzuha paints the things she sees in her dreams and sleeps in a coffin. She doesn’t like going outside because she doesn’t want people to think she’s weird. She eventually starts having difficulty dreaming, so Itsuki gets her to go to a park for inspiration. Passersby comment on her being a weirdo when she drags along a coffin containing her art supplies. Itsuki helps her get home and comforts her.

So there you go. As I said, you can go back and flip through the more detailed events by looking in the Introduction Post for the “Bonding Update” updates.

Focus Maiden Voting: Round 2

The Flying Twybil posted:

The melon smashing thing is apparently a real thing, by the way. I had to look it up after seeing this update since this was also a minigame in RF:F. Apparently some part of its creation involves getting people to eat more watermelon...?

Also nearly that exact same conversation in the bath happens in RF:F as well. There's a reason why its not necessarily a favorite of mine in the series.

Yeah, I know the watermelon thing is real. It shows up a lot in other media as well as a quintessential "summer" activity. It doesn't surprise me that it's a marketing thing. That's how bacon and eggs ended up becoming a typical breakfast. Some American company in the 20's went to a doctor and basically bribed them to say that heavier breakfasts were more beneficial. That doctor wrote to a bunch of other doctors. Then suddenly "Bacon and eggs" are the new breakfast meal.

What is RF: F? I'm drawing a blank on that abbreviation right now.

Psycho Knight fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Jan 10, 2020

The Flying Twybil
Oct 20, 2019

Psycho Knight posted:

Yeah, I know the watermelon thing is real. It shows up a lot in other media as well as a quintessential "summer" activity. It doesn't surprise me that it's a marketing thing. That's how bacon and eggs ended up becoming a typical breakfast. Some American company in the 20's went to a doctor and basically bribed them to say that heavier breakfasts were more beneficial. That doctor wrote to a bunch of other doctors. Then suddenly "Bacon and eggs" are the new breakfast meal.

What is RF: F? I'm drawing a blank on that abbreviation right now.

RF:F is Rune Factory : Frontier. I probably should've just said that to start with, but I'm used to talking about it abbreviated and I forget a lot of people don't actually know the series.

It's part of the side series of Harvest Moon games that are somewhat more anime and also involve RPG combat alongside farming. Its a hedged in Wii sequel to a predominantly handheld series that made more than a few odd design decisions as part of its creation. Has a good soundtrack in spite of it, though.

I've never seen the watermelon thing in any other media, but then again, I don't have extensive experience with Japanese media.

AnAnonymousIdiot
Sep 14, 2013

So, I gotta ask. Is every Impurity nonsense we encounter just as perverted, as, or moreso than Mana?

AnAnonymousIdiot fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Jan 10, 2020

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

"Being a fangame and not bound to a rating, Pokemon Reborn is able to expand more on topics such as death and the extreme dangers Pokemon could pose. These topics...are treated with the respect such a subject deserves."

AnAnonymousIdiot posted:

So, I gotta ask. Is every Impurity nonsense we encounter just as perverted, as, or moreso than Mana?

Possibly? The only other ones we've seen so far have been the buff dude types (outside of the labyrinths I mean), but they seemed more interested in attacking citizens than creeping on them.

There's also the fact that Mana is the only impurity we know of so far with advanced intelligence. It's hard to tell if her skeeviness is because of being an impurity or just a personality thing (or maybe that mage/a God’s Gift influenced her). I guess we'll have to hope another intelligent impurity shows up so we can use them as a camparison. I was mostly spitballing on that connection.

RF:F is Rune Factory : Frontier. I probably should've just said that to start with, but I'm used to talking about it abbreviated and I forget a lot of people don't actually know the series.

I've never seen the watermelon thing in any other media, but then again, I don't have extensive experience with Japanese media.

Okay. I know of Rune Factory, but not of Frontier. RF is not in my wheelhouse.

Watermelon splitting/smashing used to show up a lot more (Ranma 1/2, Azumanga Diaoh, Katamari Damacy), but it has kind of dropped off. Could be because of how expensive watermelons are in Japan (making it not a relatable thing to young people). I think the only recent example of it I've seen was in Yu-Gi-Oh ARC V.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

This game somehow manages to be more sexually charged than Archer, which is impressive given that Archer has actual sex.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Uh oh. Do I use Ariadne thread or Goho-M?

Arie seems a lot less sheepish about all of the not-sex stuff than she initially seemed.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

BlazeEmblem posted:

Arie seems a lot less sheepish about all of the not-sex stuff than she initially seemed.
:thunk:

I mean, her character arc is pretty blatantly about how she's secretly into this kinda stuff and her embarrassment is half feigned and half embarrassment over how into it she is, because a "proper" lady isn't interested in all this "DEFINITELY NOT SEX, UNDERSTAND?" :ocelot::grin:

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

Commander Keene posted:

I mean, her character arc is pretty blatantly about how she's secretly into this kinda stuff and her embarrassment is half feigned and half embarrassment over how into it she is, because a "proper" lady isn't interested in all this "DEFINITELY NOT SEX, UNDERSTAND?" :ocelot::grin:

I think it has more to do with the fact that she’s a nun and believes that Star God gives a drat about whether or not she enjoys things.

I mean, yeah, I can understand where her worry is coming from. The people of Granvania know that sex leads to Impurities. Even if those Impurities are under control because of Star Offerings, I'm sure there's still a stigma about giving in to all forms of earthly desires, not just sex. Especially with the church.

Which, now that I mention... How can they not have a Priest or other religious leader in this game? CII had one as a major character but didn’t have much for him to do because Dusk was just something that happened as a natural part of the world. Weird choice to leave it out of this game despite having the perfect setup for one.

SSNeoman posted:

This game somehow manages to be more sexually charged than Archer, which is impressive given that Archer has actual sex.

I miss Archer.

I know it hasn't gone anywhere. The depression has just killed my interest in things I used to like. I think I’m 6 seasons behind at this point (Vice was the last one I watched fully. Not sure I would have liked the Noir one though).

BlazeEmblem posted:

I think the only thing holding her back are her personal faith beliefs. She is definitely stoked about a lot of things, but fights back the urge. Whatever she has in that room is the perfect example. If her route pushes past the "feeling guilty because of God" thing, then she's what Reone would be if Reone didn't have her weird brother hangup going on.

Edit: Forgot to mention, but I have a lot to catch up on this weekend so the Maiden Vote will probably be up until Tuesday or Wednesday (maybe even later). We've got one, possibly two, more story update(s) before the next slew of Bonding Updates, so there will be plenty of time to vote.

Psycho Knight fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Jan 10, 2020

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

Psycho Knight posted:

Sue reveals that she has an eight meter long pet snake named Skywood.

Collette loafs bread. That’s the basis of the first part of this event.

Tarua likes to run.

I love these 'first, let me do my character thing' things but mostly because I can just read the summary instead of having to suffer it directly.

Psycho Knight posted:

So here’s the thing I mentioned. Mahiru’s sprite was present for that scene, but she didn’t say or do anything. I’m not sure if one of her lines was cut, or if she’s just a weird placeholder to signify that the Star Maidens are in the area. The same thing happened at the end of the beach scene and I’m fairly certain it’s happened in other side “group” events as well. She just stands there… silently.

This is the same in base Conception, I can only agree it's probably 'placeholder to signify the Star Maidens are there' so Mana isn't saying 'everyone go take a bath' to thin air.

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

Polsy posted:

I love these 'first, let me do my character thing' things but mostly because I can just read the summary instead of having to suffer it directly.

This is the same in base Conception, I can only agree it's probably 'placeholder to signify the Star Maidens are there' so Mana isn't saying 'everyone go take a bath' to thin air.

I like not having to transcribe it. Especially Tarua. Her character arc is going nowhere. We're at Bond Level 2 (going in to 3) out of 5 and we're still getting events telling us that she likes to run and also works with her father figure/boss to deliver letters. That's all she ever does or talks about.

Good to know that this isn't another Mahiru personality swap thing. Still weird though.

And I'm sorry to the one lone Tarua fan out there somewhere that voted for her, but I promise you, you are not missing anything by only reading summaries. Her being a Focus Maiden and getting fully transcribed events would add nothing. It may seem like I'm simplifying her, but she really is that shallow of a character. I hate to say that, because I did a whole raving defence of Narika in CII after seeing people online call her a flat character, but I cannot see any depth to Tarua at all. My whole thing is looking through the cliches and tropes in these kinds of anime games and finding the good parts, but god drat, I can’t do it with Tarua. There's nothing to sift through. Unless her next two sets (the level 5 events are always reserved for resolution of the arc, so she essentially only has two sets left) of events establish some kind of subplot, then there is no saving her.

I usually stay neutral, but Tarua seems to consistently bottom out in these polls, so screw it. I want to get that opinion out there and off my chest.

Psycho Knight fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Jan 11, 2020

The Flying Twybil
Oct 20, 2019

Psycho Knight posted:

I usually stay neutral, but Tarua seems to consistently bottom out in these polls, so screw it. I want to get that opinion out there and off my chest.

I've been meaning to ask something, as I can't remember if you've mentioned it before, but what's with the "augh" thing in her lines?

Is it just a verbal tic, or something? I feel like I'm always missing the context regarding what it even is. It bothers me, and I don't know why.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice

I've been meaning to ask something, as I can't remember if you've mentioned it before, but what's with the "augh" thing in her lines?

Is it just a verbal tic, or something? I feel like I'm always missing the context regarding what it even is. It bothers me, and I don't know why.

I believe it was mentioned in an early update, but its exactly that. I guess it supposed to be something between an aw and an ow?

AnAnonymousIdiot
Sep 14, 2013

A thought occurred to me: Are these 'Seven Wonders' actually associated with independent attempts to deal with Impurities?

AnAnonymousIdiot
Sep 14, 2013

Ack, I'm doubleposting, but I may as well get this out now while there's a lull. Let's focus on each Sign's darker aspects and how they might apply to the Star Maidens. And maybe touch on how the Serpent Bearer fits with Alfie.

Arie/Aries - I'm more and more convinced that Arie's arc is about accepting her own Impulses, and having them play out. I don't have much else to comment on, so let's talk about the problem with Aries and their Impulses. They are a temperamental sign. Aries gets explosive and direct when they snap, yet it doesn't last very long, not when some other Impulse or cool thing comes along. See Arie's reaction when Itsuki wants to see the secret room. When you have an Aries who lets their Impulses run them, they get bossy and assertive, especially when they get denied. Not like Femiruna, like where it comes from a place of self-importance, but more because it's an itch that the Aries wants to scratch. The result can get messy if the Sign doesn't rein themselves in. Sometimes it's just not the time to do the cool thing they just thought up.

Tarua/Taurus - The two biggest things regarding Taurus at their worst are, their anger and their borderline hedonism. While Aries rage is like a shotgun going off, Taurus rage is like an earthquake. It's loud, destructive, physical, and terrifying. Also unlike Aries, there's no telling when the Taurus settles down once enraged. Thankfully, it takes a lot to make a Taurus see red, and most would prefer to plod on. The other problem they have is a want for things. Their love of a steady routine along with an appreciation for the things around them leads to a focus on having, hoarding, and indulging simply because it's the natural thing to do with the things they have. Whether these things are money, a cozy home, chocolate cake, cannabis, whatever they want, they want to have. And they struggle with the idea of what they have being taken away from them. Considering Tarua though, I think we're more likely to see the anger rather than materialism.

The Twins/Gemini - Gemini at their worst? Look at them!

Ruka/Cancer - I mentioned earlier that Ruka is approaching the darker part of Cancer's care and nurturing qualities. It's where those instincts start to smother and constrict the object of their affection. Sometimes the Cancer doesn't realize what they're doing. Other times they knowingly condition their charge to act in a certain way, whether it's self-serving or to correct behavior the Sign finds objectionable. Then we get to when their care gets demeaned or snubbed. Cancers care about how they care for others and being refused hurts them something fierce. That can curdle into resentment towards the people they care about, and themselves for caring for someone who didn't appreciate the Sign. Then again, we're looking more at what might happen instead of what is happening.

Femiruna/Leo - I've already touched on Leo's narcissism, self-awareness issues, and want for people around their orbit, but I'll say it again. Leos at their worst think they're the center of the universe and don't think anyone else around them matters. This is how you get an entitled man-child who doesn't understand or care to understand how the world works. They're the star of their own show and you'd better clap.

If I'm being honest, I've seen snippets of that aspect in the beginning, but that's been lessening as Femiruna's arc continues.

Mahiru/Virgo - Virgo starts to fray when the Sign locks themself in their head. It's when they make assumptions about their situation and other people instead of asking for clarification. They get passive-aggressive in their help and say nothing about what's bugging them. There's also the real possibility in trying to react to what everyone's doing that they burn themselves out and stew in their own disappointment. In fact, that might describe Virgo at their worst: perpetually disappointed in everything.

I see that a lot in Mahiru and in the many things she's trying, from the Seven Wonders to her other side projects.

Libra - The trouble with Cardinal Air is an analysis paralysis due to not wanting to get something wrong. Libra is someone who wants to keep their center and be sure about what's happening in front of them. They deliberate, find other points of view to the point where it can make them passive, and events and people move on regardless of whether or not the Libra has an understanding. By that point they do, safe things, things that won't get one person angry with the Libra. Collette has a lot of hemming and hawwing, and if you squint, maybe you can see the 'safe decisions' with Mirei.

Reone/Scorpio - I've said this before, and I'll say it again. Scorpios are intense in everything they say and do. And they read between the lines in what's being said and expressed. If the Sign comes to the conclusion you hate them or consider them a bad person, they'll act and react accordingly, whether or not you do think badly of the Sign. They can get judgy, they can get vindictive, and they don't care if you are uncomfortable around them. I worry when that happens to Reone, besides her usual behavior.

Sue/Sagittarius - Normally Sagittarius tend to be out of left field in their passions and in how they interact with people. They don't think how they, their actions, or words will be understood by others. They can get insensitive despite their compassion and best interests. They don't think they need to mince words, which could lead to people reaching the wrong conclusions about Sag. Sue and my struggling to understand her may very well be just that in action.

Farun/Capricorn - I've mentioned a while back that Capricorns focus on appearances, and I think I may have found the problem with Farun. She's trying to find the character that makes Itsuki trust and confide in her, and will not break that character for anything. This is a normal hurdle for the Sign. Capricorns like to be authoritative and respected and only talk about things that make them feel like the one who has their act together. I've said they don't intend to bottle up their feelings, but when they cannot express something on their terms, well they don't express it at all. At their worst, they get cagey, and not want to confide anything while hoping you may confide in Capricorn.

Aquarius - Getting locked in your head can cause a spiral where everyone doesn't understand you, and you don't understand everyone. That is something the Aquarius can fall into if they're not careful. Sometimes you get people of this sign who play up their weird tendencies or exaggerate their behaviors just for kicks. They'll do anything to mingle with others if they cannot bring themselves to communicate. Collette is trying to explain things, but there are personal things she's keeping secrets; that's fine. Mirei may be learning, but considering things with Alfie, she still has a long way to go.

Yuzuha/Pisces - I've mentioned it previously. Their biggest danger is if a Pisces gets too caught up in their own fantasies, they might stop paying attention to the real world. Or worse, they might prefer their dreams to reality, and be upset when they're taken out of their dreams. Alternately, they start treating people in the real world like their dream counterparts, which gets confusing at best, and uncomfortable at worst.

Ophiuchus/Alfie - Compared to the other Signs, Ophiuchus is going to be an exception. A curveball in describing the Sign itself is that the Serpent Bearer has no element, nor category, nor a planet, not even an opposing Sign like the other Twelve. Some look at this and go with the idea people born under Ophiuchus would be unique compared to others. That said, there are consistent personality Traits. I've touched on the traits in an earlier post but I'll expand on that. By nature, the Serpent Bearer is curious and driven to find answers to the questions that come up in their lives. In fact you could say they want to know everything about the world around them from day one. Unlike Aquarius though, Ophiuchus is more intuitive and less impartial. The Sign's more likely to hold onto preconceptions even as they explore their world, keeping a sense of mystery to their preconceptions; the Sign believes in following a narrative. They also can dither and put off things due to trying to understand something before doing it.

Anyway, that's kinda Alfie to a T right there. Can't really imagine an arc or hurdle for the Serpent Bearer, but considering how there are fewer events for Alfie, pondering the Sign's problems might be a moot point.

AnAnonymousIdiot fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Jan 12, 2020

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

Ashsaber posted:

I believe it was mentioned in an early update, but its exactly that. I guess it supposed to be something between an aw and an ow?

Yeah, it's a stupid vocal tic of hers that she does way way too often.

I never actually listen to her whe she does it because I quickly learned to tune it out. The Japanese voice acting also probably has a different sound compared to English. I'll check it out when I get to work on the next update and let the thread know what it sounds like.

AnAnonymousIdiot posted:

A thought occurred to me: Are these 'Seven Wonders' actually associated with independent attempts to deal with Impurities?

Very doubtful. We've already debunked the majority of them and they've largely been stupid crap. The Toilet Fairy thing gave us some random backstory on Mana and Narc is definitely hiding something which I'm sure will gently caress us later down the road, but the others have just been teenagers being stupid. I'm sure the King's Age rumor will turn out to be something stupid as well, like Shang just resembling an ancestor and people attributing it to him being immortal or something.

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

Thread Input

Hey everyone. I just finished recording the next labyrinth and story section. I've got a lot on my plate school-wise for the next few days, so I'm not sure when the update itself will be done.

Nothing's wrong with that (other than a possible delay), but a different matter came up during recording that I'd like some input on.

Here's the deal. So far I've unlocked all the events in the database for 2 of the (I assume) 4 "Seasonal Events". Specifically, I'm talking about the events that Mana keeps dragging us to Shang about when we hit Floor 10 of a Labyrinth (Cherry Blossom Viewing, Starmas, etc.), not the other seasonal events that Mana has been forcing us in to (Star Maiden Camp, Sports Festival, etc.).

All these events have so far played out the same way (I don't have all the Cherry Blossom events, but nothing out of the ordinary has happened in the ones I do have unlocked). However, just now when I was recording the event that Mana brings up mid-way through the Autumn Labyrinth (a Japanese Festival style thing), I discovered that some of the Maidens get special things for their version of the event. Namely:

-Arie, Mirei, Collette, Femiruna, and Farun show up in their events wearing unique Yukata (it's not just a generic pattern/colour that the devs slapped on each of them, surprisingly)

-Collette (and only Collette) gets a unique CG for some weird reason (One of the members of the development team must have had a thing for her or something)

-Alfie doesn't get a Festival Event at all (although she does get a Starmas event I think)

Here's what I want input on. Based on the way that polling is currently going, most of the girls that get a unique something in their Festival Event will be part of the Focus Maidens anyway. Collette is almost assuredly not going to make the cut at this point (she's behind by 18-20 votes or something like that). So how would you guys prefer that I handle situations like this? Keep in mind that there may be specialty scenes or costumes for the Cherry Blossom Viewing that I just haven't run in to yet, and there may be special things for whatever the Summer Event is (it's probably going to be beach/bikini related, knowing this game). Here's the choices:

1. Stick to Focus Maiden polling regardless of any costumes or scenes. "You gave the thread the power to decide, so the thread's decisions are final in all aspects of the LP!"

I'll show off only the Focus Maidens full seasonal events and just summarize everyone else's.

2. Do Full Events only for the Star Maidens that have unique CGs/costumes, ignoring whatever position they got in the last poll. Summarize the rest (Starmas will have to follow Polling, because nobody has unique CGs/costumes for that event). "We're only interested in unique stuff or in moments that Spike Chunsoft felt like putting extra effort into."

3. Show off everyone (the events are about the length of a Main Bonding Event, maybe a tiny bit shorter). "The fans of Maidens that don't make it to Focus Status deserve at least something!"

They are only one-time events (In terms of this LP anyway), so I don't mind making an exception on the Focus stuff in this case.

4. Don't bother with them at all, just show screenshots of the CGs/costumes. "We're already knee-deep in Bonding Updates as it is. We'd like to make story progress at some point in 2020."

I won't hold a poll or anything. I just want to see the general feeling of the thread.

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

I would prefer 2 or 3. I am against 4.

Balache404
Aug 2, 2018

Option 2 seems like the best choice personally. It gives us something unique and different to see, lets some less popular maidens get some screen time, and doesn't seem like much extra work in relation to what you've already been doing.

OOrochi
Jan 19, 2017

On my honor as the Dawnspear.
I lean toward 2 personally.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Yeah let's do 2. If S-C isn't putting effort into dialogue, we don't need to read it.

The Flying Twybil
Oct 20, 2019

I'll say for 2 as long as it's not too much work for you. If SC put effort into something, then it's worth a look to see how badly they tripped on themselves in doing so. Or, you know, the miracles where they don't.

Take as much as time as you need for the updates, there's no rush if you've got other stuff on your plate presently.

booksnake
May 4, 2009

we who are crowned with the crest of wisdom
Echoing 2, too.

twotootwoo

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Uh oh. Do I use Ariadne thread or Goho-M?

Option 2

After spending 5 minutes writing and rewriting this next comment, I decided to just make it brief:

Collette is bad and I am creeped out by the thought that she may be the favorite character of one of the developers.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Sure, let's go with option 2.

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

Seems like 2 is the general consensus. I'll go with that.

Just keep in mind that there is a chance that this festival event is the only one with unique stuff in it. Like I said, Star God Christmas had nothing unique to certain ladies from what I recall. I'll blaze through Blossom viewing tonight and see if something stands out there.

BlazeEmblem posted:

Option 2

After spending 5 minutes writing and rewriting this next comment, I decided to just make it brief:

Collette is bad and I am creeped out by the thought that she may be the favorite character of one of the developers.

The true sign of developer bias towards Collette will be whether or not there are any unique CGs for other maidens in the other Seasonal Events. It's super weird that she is the only one who got a CG for the festival (and there were none for anyone during Starmas).

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

Update IX (Dungeon): I’ve been battered, but I never bruise. It’s not so bad (Dungeon)
Song Title Reference: Ordinary Day by Great Big Sea

Note: I intended to do another Boss Fight video for this dungeon, but I found out while typing the update that the audio didn't record for some reason. I'll put one together for the next Labyrinth. The battles aren't particularly interesting, but I do want to show off each batch of Star Child Teams at least once.

We did our catching up with the new Star Maiden, Alfie, but we’re not going to follow that up with another batch of bonding updates. This update will mark our third Star Offering and we’ve already burned through 2 out of 5 sets of bonding events. The story is also moving at a suspiciously fast pace, so I’m starting to think that this game is incredibly front loaded with its content. Wouldn’t be surprised if Star Offerings 5-11 end up zipping by without anything of note happening.

With that said, we do still have something to look at when it comes to the Star Maidens. Alfie’s introduction triggered another Focus Maiden Vote and the thread has made some notable changes.

Alfie managed to just barely pry away first place from Arie (by a single vote), which doesn’t come as much of a shock considering the generally positive reception she got from the thread. That’s not to say that Arie’s popularity has waned at all. Both Alfie and Arie were the only Maidens to break 30 votes (39 and 38 respectively).

The rest of the Top 6 all had over 20 votes each and were only separated by 1 or 2 votes each. Femiruna managed to secure the third place spot, no doubt spurred on by her swift and determined efforts to improve her spoiled behaviour. Ruka gained a little ground and moved up two spots from the last poll. Farun and Mirei also stayed in the Top 6, although they both slipped in support. Farun dropped from a tie for third to coming in fifth. Mirei definitely did something wrong in her events, because she dropped from second to sixth.

The biggest changes happened in the Bottom 7. Mahiru slipped two spots out of the Top 6 after having previously scored fifth place. I guess the novelty of her personality-flip weirdness has run its course. Yuzuha maintained the same position she had last time, so there’s nothing to comment on there. Reone… oh, poor poor Reone. Reone had been tied for third place and now finds herself all the way down in ninth. Not even a solid ninth, a tie for ninth. Her creepy brother complex absolutely destroyed her support, even as the thread learned that she used to be a badass underground pit fighter or something. Joining Reone in ninth, we’ve got Sue. Sue’s fall from grace really surprised me, because she only missed out on Focus Status in the last poll due to RNG. Personally, I thought for sure that the heartwarming and emotional events she’s been having would have easily propelled her to Top 6, but I guess the thread thought they were just sappy garbage.

Collette, Lillith/Lillie, and Tarua rounded out the bottom. No surprises there.

Moving on from that (since it won’t be relevant for a while), we’ve also got new Star Children to introduce. Our previous teams did great work, but they are physically incapable of keeping up with the enemies due to their low level caps.

First up is Team A(wful) 2.0, which consists of Alicia the Magic Knight (Mother: Mirei), Roy the Paladin (Mother: Reone), Olivia the Berserker (Mother: Lillith/Lillie), and Amelia the Sage (Mother: Alfie).

What you see with Team A(wful) is basically what you’re going to get with the other two teams. There’s a Magic Knight and a Sage on all three teams, so the stat spread and skill availability will be very similar. That said, each team does still have their own personal strengths.

Team A(wful) is very heavy on physical defence and can also dish out the damage (both physical and magical). Speed and Magic Defence are fairly lacking, while their luck is downright horrid.

Team A(wful) has a standard assortment of skills, largely due to the presence of Alicia and Amelia. In terms of skills that are unique to Team A(wful) 2.0, we’ve got Rite of Auras which deals damage and also casts a general defence boost at the same time. Team A(wful) also has Cyclone, which is a Wind element spell that will come in handy for the upcoming Labyrinth. Outside of some unique attack skills which don’t especially stand out, they also have Paladin Wall, which is a 30% Defence boost.

Team Psycho Knight was actually built by Commander Keene. There were only two suggestions from the thread for Team C. Commander Keene had suggested Team Give Psycho Some Goddamn Magic, but RNG went with the other suggestion. However, I thought Commander Keene’s idea was better than what I had in mind at the time, so I decided to repurpose it for Team B.

We’ve got Magnus the Sage (Mother: Arie), Luna the Blacksmith (Mother: Mirei), Riko the Ranger (Mother: Farun), and Natasha the Magic Knight (Mother: Femiruna).

Commander Keene’s team building was on point, as Team B is the powerhouse of the current batch of Star Children. They have a similar stat spread to Team A(wful) 2.0, but without the loss of Speed. They have the lowest HP of the teams, but their MP beats out Team A(wful).

That MP is helpful, because Team Psycho Knight (as built by Commander Keene) is the only team with Shine (Light-based magic attack). Shine is incredibly useful against the Micros enemies (those floating eyeball monsters) and Team PK’s great magic attack makes it even better. They can reliably one-shot Micros enemies by themselves, which is a big help since those things had been the bane of our last group.

Anyway, I should note that despite me using the team that Commander Keene put together, Team B is still Team Psycho Knight. That means I’m still beholden to the rule that I slot in any other players’ Star Children which randomly appear at the Inn. This team is the powerhouse right now, but that could quickly and horribly change at any moment of the RNG’s choosing.

Also, you may have noticed that both Riko the Ranger and Roy the Paladin have Star Icons in their character portraits (they will also have stars underneath their character models in the dungeon). This signifies that they are "Genius" Star Children. Genius Star Children are rare occurrences during Classmating. You'll know right away if you got one because the Matryoshka will have stars floating up from it during the "birth" cutscene. Genius Star Children automatically have a level cap of 99, regardless of what your bond level is with the Mother Maiden. Roy was actually born just before the previous Labyrinth. I pulled him off the bench when Paladin was chosen for Team A(wful). It's nice to be able to keep one of your favourite Star Children with you all the way to the end of the game, but it's not particularly helpful for the purposes of this LP. Level Cap or not, Roy and Riko will be set free once the next Team Vote comes around.

Team C will be known as Team Canada 2.0 this time. User Balache404 submitted an updated version of the team they suggested during the first vote which didn’t get chosen. RNG was kinder to us Canadians this time around.

Team Canada 2.0 is made up of Alberta the Lancer (Mother: Reone), Nunavut the Sage (Mother: Amelia), PrEdward the Magic Knight (Mother: Farun), and Manitoba the Archer (Mother: Arie). Not sure why Balache went with an Archer instead of a Hunter, but whatever.

Not much to say about them in terms of stats, as they are the same as the other teams. They do have the best TEC stat though, so they will probably be a bit more capable of scoring criticals.

Team Canada 2.0 is the only team with an attack skill that greatly boosts the Chain Drive gauge (Temple Chain), so that will come in handy during certain boss fights as well as against Sagitta enemies. They also have a skill called Ranged Lance which gives them Penetration, which bypasses enemy defence. In terms of spells, Team Canada 2.0 has the widest variety. They have Fire, Earth, and Ice spells, including a specialty ice attack called Icicle Fang which has a high chance of inflicting Seal. Their stats might be a little lacking compared to the other teams, but they definitely have the most diverse move pool.

Users Ashsaber and Commander Keene commented on the suggestion of Team Give Psycho Some Goddamn Magic by suggesting that my constant whining about the lack of magic power in the thread teams would come back to bite me, perhaps when the thread created nothing but magic casting teams and I found myself entering a dungeon containing high magic defence enemies where I would need physical teams.

:argh: Didn’t count on the thread giving me the best of both, did ya?!

Now for the inevitable moment where I enter a dungeon with incredibly fast enemies that are able to run circles around these teams. It won’t happen this time, but I’m sure it’ll happen eventually. Karma is funny like that.

Anyway, after running around for an hour or two and getting the new kids leveled up to what you see above, we turn our attention back to the story. It’s currently Summer and we’ve already been to the Spring and Winter Labyrinths, so that means we’ll have to tackle Autumn.

The Autumn Labyrinth is very… desert looking. I kind of thought the dusty/ruins look would be more of a summer kind of thing, but okay.

We’re going to skip right past Floors 1-5 because there is nothing of interest there.

Well, nothing of interest outside of Team PK wiping the floor with Micros with Shine. For comparison, Itsuki and the other teams can only hit them for about 2000-3000 damage.

There is also a new enemy type starting on Floor 3-4, but there’s not really anything to say about them. They might be a bigger threat once we’ve reached Floors 10-15, but at the moment they don’t even approach the level of nuisance. Cool design though.

That thing really needs to go on a diet…

He’s not fat, Mana. He’s just got very broad shoulders. Shoulders that he plans on using to ram us to death.

Doesn’t seem like he can move very well. We could probably dodge around him pretty easily.

But you have to defeat it to move forward. Itsuki! Go show it what a proper diet can accomplish!

You know the deal. Monoceros is the type of enemy that we’ll be seeing a lot of from this point forward (at least in the Autumn Labyrinth). Like the bear enemies, they have no magic offence at all. They like to ram you and that’s really it. Thankfully, I now have some magic offence at my disposal, so Monoceros winds up dead before it can even get a turn.

Team A(wful) shows us something that sets them apart from the other teams. Thanks to Roy and Amelia, Team A(wful) has Wind-element attacks. A lot of enemies in the Autumn Labyrinth are Earth-element, so Team A(wful) is going to be putting in work here.

After killing Monoceros, Mana informs us that the Twilight Labyrinth is up ahead, then yanks us out of the dungeon and back to the world map. Nothing else happens, so I turn right around and head back in.

All the same enemies are present for the next few floors. That new skeleton man enemy is here and still boring, Bootes and their various palette swaps, and generic versions of Monoceros. There’s also a fire element version of the Fornax enemies (floating skulls with spine tails), but Team Canada 2.0 handles them without breaking a sweat by weaponizing their natural Canadian abilities to shoot ice out of their hands. :canada:

Also, a new trap type! Yay! I sure was looking forward to this! Panic Traps start showing up in the Autumn Labyrinth. Thankfully, all three teams have the ability cure status effects, so as long as one of them manages to dodge the trap then we’re golden.

I make sure to carry Maiden’s Slap items for the times when everyone gets hit by it.

:cripes: Or for the times when the game decides to be a total loving rear end in a top hat and stick multiple floor traps right next to each other. Yes, this is the same room as the last screenshot. I rounded the corner from that first trap and ran straight into this one. You can see that Riko’s text box from the previous trap hadn’t even disappeared yet.

Are these similar to what you’d call angels on Sora?

I don’t remember angels being depicted as this… creepy… Wait, now is not the time for this!

I was just trying to relieve some tension for you. But we’re good now! Go, Itsuki!

Aquila is our Floor 10 boss. Just like with Monoceros, this is an Earth enemy, which means Team A(wful) is about to embarrass it.

Aquila is backed up by two Fire-type Fornax (actually called Fergaras). Team Canada 2.0 and Team Psycho Knight will deal with them as they both have Ice attacks. Itsuki just helps out with general damage dealing.

Not much to say about this fight either. Aquila lasts longer than Monoceros did, but that’s only because it has helpers. Team Canada 2.0 actually hits it with Poison early on, so it winds up eating about 2000 HP in poison damage throughout the fight. If it weren’t for the momentary distractions, Aquila would have been dead within the first round.

I was a little worried at first when I saw that all three teams were basically identical and none of them were particularly fast, but goddamn if their overwhelming offence isn’t putting my mind at ease. Don’t really need to worry about things outrunning us when we can kill them in one or two hits.

That said, their Magic Defence is nothing to brag about, so karma has an opening to punish me for my arrogance sometime down the road.

After beating Aquila, Mana once more drags us out of the dungeon. It’s time to introduce another “Seasonal Event”. I’m referring to the events that Mana is told about (like Cherry Blossom Viewing and Christmas), not the pre-established events that Itsuki is forced into (like Star Maiden Camp or the Sports Festival).

Hm… Speaking of the Autumn Labyrinth… I heard from Mahiru that on Sora, there’s a country called Japan…

Yeah, that’s right.

So I wanna ask you… How about we recreate this festival from Sora?

Why would you want to recreate a Japanese festival here in Granvania?

Because it sounds like fun. That’s all.

Man, just how culturally barren is Granvania? Do they have any events of their own?

Itsuki, won’t you help? It’s for the people!

Well, I guess it couldn’t hurt. We can tell Shangri-La about it and see what he says.

I knew I could count on you, Itsuki! We can totally enjoy these festivals in Granvania too. Let’s ask the king to make this Autumn Festival more widespread!

*Going straight to the Palace, because apparently this just cannot wait until the Star Offering is in place*

~Palace Throne Room~

All right. Then let us host this Autumn Festival in our nation. It appears correcting the Star Chaos will take longer than anticipated.

Narcisstes, I trust you will arrange for the people to attend this festival every autumn.

Understood, Your Majesty. Itsuki, do teach me about this festival from your world. If you can tell me which parts are the most exciting, that would be helpful.

It’s mostly about getting together with friends and going around to the different shop stalls.

Let’s discuss this in more detail later.

We are about to move into Autumn (in-game I mean), so I’ll show off the Autumn Festival events during our next break. Spike Chunsoft decided to inject a random shot of effort into the Festival event for some reason or another, so I had to get input from the thread on how to handle showing it off. More on that when the time comes, though. For now, let’s cap that Labyrinth.

Speaking of, we’ll be tackling the Libra Labyrinth this time. Mainly because… uhh… at the time I recorded this we were still going by the previous Focus Maiden order and Mirei had been in second place and Arie’s Labyrinth was already finished…

I didn’t have a justification for this, okay? We were already in the Winter Labyrinth and Autumn isn’t for another 8 months. Also it’s currently Summer in the game so we can’t go to the Summer Labyrinth because the enemies are getting a BS boost to their stats. This is the best I could come up with.

The Libra Labyrinth is very… Mirei. I sort of wish they had taken this a step further and made the doors more futuristic/scientific looking, but what are you gonna do?

Lower-tier Aquila now join the cast of regular enemies. There’s nothing else to talk about on that front just yet. However, I did pick up a new “book” in this section of Labyrinth. I wound up getting two copies of “Book of Hidden”. This brings our total to 6 unique book items out of the 9 I think we need. We’re two-thirds of the way to getting one of the remaining Star Child classes. This is probably the most difficult one, as it relies entirely on RNG. You need all 9 of the books and they only appear randomly in treasure chests within dungeons. Getting multiples of books you already have is also possible (as you can see above), making it even more of a pain in the rear end to get the last few that you need.

The rest of the dungeon goes by without anything of interest happening. All the enemies are ones we’ve already seen before or that were introduced earlier in this dungeon. We got Aquila-type enemies, the fire Fornax, those skeleton guys, Bootes, Monoceros-types, you know the deal. We don’t get any fancy new equipment (at least, nothing that outclasses the stuff I picked up from the Spring Dungeon while training the Star Children). Itsuki is using an upgraded version of the sword “Second Out”, which he got almost immediately after the last Labyrinth. It’s fairly boring as far as swords go (the description calls it a great sword).

Other than that, the Star Children teams have picked up a few more levels. Some of them are starting to break into the 40’s, while others have only just barely gotten to the 30’s (Sages seem to level up slower than the other classes. Maybe because they are more advanced).

Whoa… that’s a different design than what I’m used to. Creepy.

We must defeat it and enshrine the Libra Star Offering! Let’s do this! This is Furiae of Libra. It’s a Dark element Impurity God!

Dark? HA! You poor sack of poo poo, you are about to get blasted.

It’s pretty good with magic attacks, so watch out for those!

Furiae is not going to have a good time in this fight. It has well-rounded stats and if we were still rocking the previous Star Child teams then it would have been a difficult fight. It has 2 Dark Craters as helpers, but they don’t have any healing spells. Not that it matters. They are Dark Element—

And Team Psycho Knight is all about Dark Elemental enemies.

Furiae itself is still dangerous, don’t get me wrong. Dark Element spells still hurt like a bastard since our Star Children teams have the four base elements as their defence and Dark is super effective against those. If this battle was a marathon then it would be a lot more problematic.

But it’s not a marathon. Thanks to our Star Childrens’ insane damage output, this battle is a sprint. Dark Crater A is already dead by the time that Furiae makes its first move. Dark Crater B uses its only turn in the entire fight to defend and then promptly dies when Team Canada 2.0 kicks its poo poo in.

By the time that Furiae has wasted its next turn trying to move into attack position, both of its helpers are already dead and Itsuki/Team PK are taking the fight straight to the boss. Team Canada 2.0 is the only team to have taken damage by this point, which Team A(wful) rectifies by casting Extra Heal and fully healing the team.

Furiae gets a solid hit in on Itsuki that would have killed him if Furiae was able to immediately follow it up, but it has no such luck. I heal up Itsuki and have the teams use some skills which buff up their defences a little (although this is completely unnecessary). Furiae uses its last turn to cast Curse on Team Canada 2.0. Team Psycho Knight then shaves another 6,000 HP off of its HP with Shine, Team A(wful) brings it down to near death with 3,000 damage of their own, and then Itsuki/Team Canada 2.0 finish the job.

This fight went much better than the last Labyrinth boss. Granted, I lucked out because the Libra Labyrinth wound up being custom made for this new batch of Star Children. They all had the right elemental attacks needed to blitz their way through all types of enemies with little hassle. Then the boss turned out to be of an element that the strongest Star Child team was great against.

I’m sure the good times won’t last, but for now, I’m loving this overwhelming power the thread has gifted me.

Psycho Knight fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Jan 25, 2020

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

Update IX (Story): I’ve been battered, but I never bruise. It’s not so bad
Song Title Reference: Ordinary Day by Great Big Sea

After the boss, Itsuki walks up to the big bolt in the floor and does the thing where the Star Offering is replaced or whatever. Mana then says that the number of impurities in the Libra Labyrinth will decrease. You’ve seen it before.

~Stardust Labyrinths~

Things are going as usual back on the surface as well. Still a bunch of shaking and roaring from whatever horrible monstrosity is lurking underground/deep in the Labyrinths.

Dammit! It keeps getting worse!

Guh! I can’t stand this.

*The shaking finally subsides after a second or two of Itsuki and Mana standing there*

So this is because of the Ophiuchus Labyrinth, right?

We need to report this to Nar.

~Palace Laboratory~

Nar! Nar, you here?!

It was such a loud noise, how did you not notice?

I’ve been pulling all nighters for a while now. But thanks to that, I finished deciphering the ancient texts.

Really?! What did you find?

Ah… We’ll discuss that at the conference later. Itsuki, you will be joining, won’t you?

Of course I will. It’s sort of important.

The conference is tomorrow.

*And then Narc disappears off screen. Either he wandered off or he dropped where he stood and fell asleep*

I should go back to my room and get some rest too. I’m really worn out.

Yeah.

~Inn: Itsuki’s Room~

Ugh… So tired… Maybe it’s better that Narcisstes is waiting until tomorrow to explain what he found out… Anyway, goodnight Mana… Sleep time…

Y-You’re too… heavy!

Ah! What the hell was that?!

Ooo, seems like there’s someone else under the covers. Fuehe, gettin’ down to business this early? You’re a brave one… Wait… Mahiru?

Why the hell are you in his bed?!

Why the hell are you in my bed?!

W-Wait, what? Oh… I must have fallen asleep here. I-I wasn’t trying to wait for you in your bed or anything.

*sigh* I know… I know… You’re here because you wanted to talk to me about something, right?

Yeah… I need a favor. When I came in here, it was empty. I got sleepy while I waited…

Looks like you’ve been pretty tired lately too.

Anyway, there’s something I need your help with, Itsuki.

What is that supposed to be?

It’s to celebrate the feats of God’s Gift. I hear the alcohol will be cheap.

Oh, AWESOME. More Underage Drinking PSAs are on the way. God drat was I really missing those. So much.

The tavern is going to be much busier than usual tomorrow. So can I get you to help out?

Uh… I’m not… Isn’t there someone else you could ask? I’ve never done that kind of work before.

Lillith will be helping too.

I’d be worried too.

Same here, but not for the reason as you two.

*More shaking starts happening*

Another earthquake?!

Again?! Why?!

*The shaking then subsides after a few seconds*

How often has this happened now? It’s getting annoying…

It’s probably going to keep getting worse as I keep going into the Labyrinths.

Anyway, are you going to help out at the tavern?

Sorry, but I’m going to pass. I’m not exactly welcome among the townspeople right now…

You’re still brooding over that?

*sigh*…If that’s what you want to call being blamed for all of this world’s problems, then sure. I’m brooding. Whatever you want to call it, I’m still not going.

Sorry I bothered you when you’re so tired.

Sorry, Mahiru…

I know how you feel, Itsuki. Those people annoyed me too.

A tiny bit tone deaf with that comment, Mahiru. You might be a God’s Gift too, but that rear end in a top hat was specifically singling out Itsuki while saying that the Star Maidens were faultless. Maybe this would have landed better if there had been any indication that the people in Granvania were lumping Mahiru in with Itsuki as well.

The reason I bring this up is because trying to pull the “I know how you feel” card with any of the Star Maidens is usually the worst option, despite the fact that Itsuki is also an orphan and relates to loneliness.

Oh, and one more thing.

If you do… Oh, I can’t even begin to describe what I’d do…

I’m not going to tell anyone, Mahiru. Besides, you’d better make sure that you don’t go crawling into my bed like that again. This is my room.

No.

*Mahiru then leaves*

…Mana, can you wake me up when it’s time for the conference? I’ve got a feeling that I’m not going to be waking up on my own between now and then.

*Itsuki then flops down and passes out on the bed*

Oh, that Mahiru… If it weren’t for me, would she have gotten dirty with God’s Gift?

Yeah, Itsuki sure looks like a man capable of getting down and dirty. I’m sure his lifeless husk would have been all over Mahiru if she had made a move.

Shut up, Mana.

~Palace Throne Room~

The reason I gathered everyone here today… is because we have new reports on the Ophiuchus Labyrinth. I have deciphered the content of the ancient texts… and discovered a rather critical part. There is a “13th Phantom” in the Ophiuchus Labyrinth.

No duh. You think the Labyrinth that caused the Star Chaos is just sitting empty?

What differentiates this phantom from the Impurity Gods?

According to the texts… The 13th Phantom is the harbinger of Impurities unto this world. As well…

In other words, to calm the “Star Chaos”… We must prevent the revival of the 13th Phantom.

Sounds easy enough. Run in to a Labyrinth and kill the biggest thing there. No different than what we’ve been doing so far.

Oh, right, the Ophiuchus Labyrinth isn’t a secret anymore by the way. We had to keep that secret from the other Star Maidens for all of 1 Labyrinth.

This game really seems like it’s blowing its load early. The database doesn’t have a ton of open spots left in the “Main Events” section. I’m getting the feeling that the main plot is going to completely dry up once we’ve been through the Summer Labyrinth for the first time. It sort of feels like we were meant to clear the labyrinths season by season, which would space out the story more, but Mana clearly told us that we should be switching labyrinths. So… :shrug:

We only learned of the existence of the Ophiuchus Labyrinth the other day. Isn’t our duty to simply enshrine its Star Offering?

We didn’t tell you because these facts were only mentioned in the ancient texts. It’s existence was mere fable until now.

Wait, so does that mean… You found out where the Ophiuchus Labyrinth is?!

After the earlier earthquake, it appeared apart from the Stardust Labyrinths. A reading of an even more powerful Impurity has been detected from within. The Star Search Energy proves it is not within the other labyrinths.

Oh, great. I like the sound of that. Starting to get flashbacks of the 25 floor final dungeon of CII.

It may very well have to do with the impending revival of the 13th Phantom.

So that means my job isn’t finished after enshrining the 12th Star Offering?

Correct. Doing so would only be a temporary solution.

Granvania sucks.

I can’t believe this…

You must stop the revival of the 13th Phantom at all costs.

But the Star Energy reading comes from even deeper than the other labyrinths. The entrance to that level still hasn’t been found yet.

Our task for now is to find that entrance. Itsuki, until then… you must enshrine the Star Offerings as initially planned.

We will notify you of any information we receive. I’m sure your mind is fraught with worry, but you must overcome this.

Meeting adjourned.

So in summary: We have learned basically nothing new. We already knew there was an Ophiuchus Labyrinth and the fact that there is some strange super monster down there is nothing surprising considering that the thing keeps roaring every time we pop in a Star Offering.

Great work, team.

~Star God Academy Hallway~

Hm? Some people are fighting.

Looks like Reone and Mirei.

This sounds juicy! Let’s take a look!

*Shifting over to Mirei and Reone*

Why did you keep quiet about something so important?!

We already discussed this. The existence of that labyrinth was not proven.

Neither of those things gives you the right to classified information, Reone. Just because you work in the SIS Building’s cafeteria doesn’t mean that your friend in MI6 is obligated to tell you everything about national security. In terms of Security Clearance levels, Reone is maybe one level above the other Star Maidens, at best.

I didn’t want to agitate you all with unproven theories.

Did you really think that would cause a panic?

Reo, just stop right there.

Mana…

Especially since you have such a strong sense of responsibility.

”Also because you are a notable alcoholic that frequents bars and therefore can’t be trusted with sensitive information.”

When the mission gets harder, you’ll face even greater pressure. Mirei understood that.

Apologies, Reone… In retrospect, I should have at least told you.

Mirei also can’t be trusted with sensitive information to be honest, but she’s got a top level job in government so I guess there’s no helping that.

Must be nice to have good friends like that.

What? What’s embarrassing about that?

*And then Narc arrives*

Hello, all. Heading to the tavern?

What are you talking about? Now isn’t the time for drinks.

That’s not what I meant. I heard from Mahiru that Farun’s tavern will be quite lively today. Our friends require assistance. Are you sure you don’t want to help them?

I am, but Itsuki is probably going to insist otherwise.

…I guess we should.

Yeah.

Reone and Mirei, you should go as well.

But I still need to analyze the labyrinths…

The Impurities of the new labyrinth will be stronger than ever.

That’s also an important duty as a Star Maiden.

I think figuring out more about the super labyrinth is higher on the priority list, Narc. We haven’t even found the entrance to the drat place yet. There’ll be plenty of time for hanging out with Mirei later on.

Mirei, shall we go? I do feel like having a drink.

We’re not going as customers. I thought we were going to assist.

Don’t be a buzzkill. Let’s just go. Mirei, Itsuki.

*And so they did, for some reason. Honestly, I’m still of the mind that the citizens of Granvania can go gently caress themselves. They haven’t shown themselves to be very deserving of parties and celebration so far*

~Granvania Shopping Center~

To the tavern that Farun works at.

They keep saying “Farun’s tavern”, which I think is a tiny bit misleading. Just a reminder: Farun doesn’t own or operate that tavern, she just works there occasionally. I know that “Farun’s tavern” can imply that it’s the tavern which Farun works at, but the usual connotation of the apostrophe “s” is ownership.

Augh… Mahiru asked me about that yesterday! But I’m busy with my deliveries, so I can’t go! Sorry, Itsuki!

It’s fine, Tarua. Good luck on your deliveries.

I’m sure we’ll find a way to manage not having the least popular Star Maiden with us.

Augh! I’ll do my best! Give Mahiru my regards!

I will. Make sure to be careful on your route. Don’t hurt yourself.

See ya later, everyone!

*And Tarua takes off… She likes to run you know. That’s her thing. Also, her hair/horn things move around a lot in this scene… are those actual ears?*

She’s full of energy, as always.

Oh? Did you all come here to help?

Yeah. I changed my mind. Sorry about that. I think I was just tired and stressed out yesterday.

Nice to see that Itsuki is getting out of his funk. Let’s hope some other jackass in Granvania doesn’t come along and ruin that.

No, Mahiru. Nobody else knows. Relax.

~Tavern~

Welcome!

Actually, I’m pretty sure Narcisstes was the one that… whatever. This is Mahiru I’m talking about. For all I know there was some kind of cut dialogue where it’s mentioned that she got Narc to rope Reone and Mirei into things or otherwise popped up and did it herself.

I’ve been waitin’! Ya brought two today!

By the way, what’s with the banner out in front?

What ‘bout it?

God’s Gift and Star Maidens are meant to be sacred! You just ruined it all!

I… Hold on, that was Mana saying that, right? Our Mana? The one that unceasingly makes skeevy comments about the Star Maidens and Itsuki? That Mana?

Oh, please. I don’t wanna hear that from ya, Mana. Who cares ‘bout that? Business is boomin’ right now. I thought it was a great line to draw in the crowds!

By the way, where’s Lillith? Isn’t she helping out here?

Yeah, ‘bout her… Look over there.

You shouldn’t go outside today. Though, I guess it’s too late for that, hahaha.

She just started tellin’ fortunes. Please help me out! It’s too busy right now! My eyes’re ‘bout to spin with how busy it is!

You should be happy that business is booming.

Why? It’s not her business. Unless it actually is and this has just been a massive translation fuckup that completely changed Farun’s backstory and made her out to just be a temp worker.

Why, thank ya.

Well, I’ll let you take care of this. I’ll go outside to draw in customers.

*Mahiru leaves*

Farun, what should I do?

Can I ask ya to help in the kitchen?

*Mirei zips off*

I don’t like how happy Mirei looked about that.

…Hm? Does Mirei know how to cook?

Let’s hope so, because she’s doing it.

Reone, can ya come with me to serve alcohol?

You got it. I know all about alcohol.

*Reone takes off. I really question Farun’s choices of jobs for the other Maidens*

Aw right, everyone, let’s do this!

Is there anything for me to do?

Oh, you’re a guest today, Itsuki.

Wait, but Mahiru asked me to help out.

Hm… But what should I get ya to do?

Dammit, Mahiru… *sigh* Well, I’m here now, so I would rather help out if possible.

Aw right… Oh, I know! Itsuki, can I ask ya to be the bouncer? People sometimes have a little too much fun when they drink. Trouble arises pretty easily.

Aww yeah!

I want ya to mediate those situations. Can ya do it?

I’ll do what I can. What should I do during the peaceful times, though?

Whatever ya want!

Comin’!

*And then Farun takes off*

Whatever I want huh… Not a helpful suggestion. Starting to think I really should have passed on this.

Just wait and see for now. How about you chase Farun’s cute little butt around?

[Customer B]: Hey, Dr. Reone! You’re working here too?

I just felt like drinking today.

[Customer B]: Oh, you. If a Star Maiden asks, I gotta oblige.

Haha… It really is the Star Maiden Exhilaration Day. I can give a little extra something for the customers who treat me. What do you say? Want a little something from me…?

Oh god, she’s already drunk. It’s been 2 minutes!

[Customer B]: Woohoo! Wh-What’ll ya do for me?

Treat me to a drink and. I’ll. Tell. You!

[Customer B]: One round’a drinks for the lady!

She won’t be able to do her job properly.

Reone, can I have a word? Why are you acting like a customer when you’re supposed to be helping out?

I am helping out. I’m contributing to the tavern’s sales, aren’t I?

You’re getting drunk, is what you’re doing. Can’t you at least try and practice moderation?

I know, I know. Are you that worried about me?

Yes. You got wasted during that welcome feast at the palace and had to be dragged off.

Haha… You remembered that? How embarrassing…

Anyway, just don’t get too crazy…

Well then, time to resume my “assistance.”

[Customer B]: H-Hey, Reone, what about that “little something”?

It’ll be a surprise next time you’re in the hospital.

[Customer B]: But my health’s the only thing going for me! I don’t need to go to the hospital.

Don’t worry about it, dude! Reone is going to stay the same age for the next 120 years and eventually your drinking will lead to liver complications that’ll land you in the hospital. It’s all good. It’ll just take a while for you to cash in that reward. Also you might be dying when it happens, but whatever.

Oh, too bad.

*And Reone disappears off screen… somewhere. Her portrait moves to the left side of the screen, as if she walked right past Itsuki, so hell if I know where she went. She’s supposed to be at the bar*

Guess we can’t rely on Reone. Maybe we should force Lillith to help out.

Better than watching Reone get drunk again.

*Over by Lillith*

[Customer C]: T-Two at once? Wh-What should I watch out for?

Well… Let me try to tell that fortune…

*Farun comes flying across the screen*

[Customer C]: Whoa! My clothes are drenched in booze!

So despite Farun saying “That was close”, she actually did spill booze all over that guy.

Sorry, sir! Lemme wipe ya down with this towel!

[***]: *rub rub* *rub rub*

[Customer C]: Wow, the tavern’s signature girl is touching me all over… Ugh, blegh! What’s that smell?!

Oh, I’m sorry! I used the same rag I wiped some spilled milk with!

Oh god, why would you keep carrying that around with you?!

[Customer C]: Th-This is terrible! That stench is all over me! I better go home and change!

Um… The reading says to watch out for the dancers at the tavern. Hm? Sir? Where’d he go?

He went home. Your reading was right on the money, but…

Seems like it’s too late anyway.

Did you want your fortune told?

Sorry, but I’m going to pass.

Don’t be shy. I’ll make it free for you just this once.

I’d rather not know about my future.

What?! There’s nothing you want to know about? Itsuki, do you not have any worries in your life? Though, I guess that’s expected of the great God’s Gift.

It’s not like that. It’s more like I have so many worries that I’d rather not make them worse by getting ominous warnings.

Oh, really?

Then why not help out at the tavern?

Yeah, Lillith. Stop with all the fortune-telling and help out with the tavern. Start being nice and flaunt your sex appeal to the customers.

Please don’t.

Uh-oh… Ack! Watch out!

NO! DON’T DO THIS, GAME!

:negative: Son of a bitch!

Looks like she flipped at the worst possible time…

Mana! Where are my snacks?! I need my snacks to go with booze! Hurry up and bring ‘em!

Oh, quiet. I don’t have any booze or snacks for you!

What? No reminder for Lillie that she’s not old enough to drink? Nothing at all? gently caress you, Conception Plus. You constantly do it to Itsuki, but when Lillie talks about it you stay silent?

Look at all the other customers enjoying themselves…

You’re here to help, Lillie.

Official Itsuki calls her “Lillith” here. Even the translators can’t keep the two of them straight.

So? Tch… Fine, I’ll tell you all a nice story!

[Customer A]: Hm? What’s going on?

[Customer B]: Lillith is gonna say something funny!

[Customer A]: Awesome! Stop playing pranks and entertain us!

The customers I can sort of forgive, because I don’t think the Lillith/Lillie twin personalities thing is common knowledge.

All right! Perk up your drat ears and listen! You all know what a Star Offering is, right? You know how that’s made?

Huh, that’s actually something I’m curious about. You may proceed, Lillie. Just this once.

[Customer A]: Not… really, no.

[Customer B]: Hey, I know. You create it with Star Energy, right?

That’s right. But, do you know the materials used in it?

[Customer A]: Well, what is it?

That Lillie… Is she really going to say it?

What? What’s wrong?

Huh? You have to use something for it? What?

Stop it! You can’t say that here!

Just who do you think I am, Reone?! You think you can stop me?!

Lillie, stop!

*The screen then slowly fades to white for a moment and I guess some time passes*

Looks like most of the customers are gone.

What the gently caress are… Nope, never mind. I think I’d rather not know considering the reaction it caused.

Um… I’m so sorry Lillie caused you trouble…

You mean the things I've been carrying around the labyrinths are made of… that?

I know it’s surprising, but it is indeed true.

Settin’ that aside, we’ve got nothin’ to do now.

Maybe I should go check in on the kitchen, then.

*We go to check on Mirei*

Itsuki, what happened?

Uh, yeah. Some things were revealed that probably should have stayed secret… The point is, there aren’t many customers here anymore. Anyway, is there anything I can do to help you?

We have fewer orders, so I have nothing to do either. I was just about to try making this recipe I created for some snacks. I’ll serve it to all the customers once I’m done.

Oh, well that sounds good. I hope I can try some.

I’ve already finished researching the tavern’s food and equipment. All that’s left is to present the results of my research in the name of cooking. Spirit of fire, burn your being to give me your crimson soul.

Watching mages cook makes it look so grand…

Is she cooking, or is she summoning Captain Planet?

What exactly are you making, anyway?

Only the Star God knows.

poo poo! Everyone take cover!

Mirei, are you all right? Something really stinks in here.

Hey, what’s this smell? I can smell it all the way out here!

Hm… Perhaps I made a mistake in the seasoning proportions…

Way ahead of you, Mirei.

Wait, what?

*The screen goes white again and I suppose another tiny time skip happens*

Oh, this is gonna be bad… The entire tavern smells worse than a pigsty…

Now all the customers are gone…

What’s with this awful smell…? Hey, where’d all the customers go?

You’re all colossal screwups. Now go home.

Phew… Things rarely ever go your way.

Mahiru, don’t let it get you down. Nothing ever goes well the first time.

Mirei, was that an invitation to highlight your blunder?

Pot calling the kettle black, Reone.

What do you mean? The legendary God’s Gift said after his 100th failure…

That God’s Gift was a loser.

The legendary God’s Gift?

The God’s Gift who saved the world 1,200 years ago.

He’s like you, Itsuki.

But he…

Oooh… :smith:

You mean he went back to his own world, right? Itsuki, it really does sound like we can go back once we fulfill our mission. Good luck! You’re the legendary God’s Gift now!

Well, I don’t know about legendary, but I’ll definitely do my best to try and follow in his footsteps.

…Ehhhh, yeah. So despite Mahiru and Itsuki’s newfound optimism, we probably know what the real fate of this “Legendary God’s Gift” is. “Never heard from again” almost never means “Everything went great and the hero just didn’t feel like going back to reunite with his friends or say goodbye or anything like that.” No way in hell that he beat the 13th Phantom and just went back to Sora.

Either Legendary God’s Gift died fighting that thing, or we’re going to discover that he was turned into the new 13th Phantom, like some kind of Final Fantasy X deal.

~Inn: Itsuki’s Room~

Oh, hey Shang. Weird to see you here.

I must speak with you.

Why’d you come without any of your guards?

Mana, leave us for a while. This is a rather personal matter.

All right. Just holler when you’re done.

*Mana leaves*

So… what is this about?

:aaa: Wow, just gonna drop that out of nowhere, huh?

Wait, so you’re a God’s Gift?

That’s right. I was summoned to this world 100 years ago and saved it.

But… if you’re still here… Wait, why didn’t you go back to Sora?

I told you before. I love this world. I left my regrets behind in Sora.

Why the hell would you want to leave Sora and come to this place? Granvania sucks.

Oh… riiiight. 100 years ago. World War 1 had sort of been raging for the past four years and killing over 20 million people and wounding another 20+ million on top of that. Also World War 2 would break out 20 years later and kill another 70+ million, making "The Great War" look like a skirmish by comparison.

Also, user Skylight reminded me that the Spanish Flu was also raging around the same time, which ended up killing 40+ million people on its own...

Never mind, you made the right call, Shang.

I see… Hold on, does that mean you can also make Star Children?

I’m glad they put this in to erase any possibility of even a theory that this could be an alternative in case something happens to Itsuki. If there was even a possibility that Shang could do the Classmating ritual with the current Star Maidens, that would be incredibly creepy, even by this game’s standards. Maybe not so much Mirei or Reone, but definitely Tarua/Collette/Lillith/Lillith/Yuzuha.

Itsuki, I…

What’s wrong?

No… That is all I wished to say. That we are both from Sora. I must take my leave now.

*And Shang makes a quick exit. Mana then returns*

You two done?

Hey, Mana? Do you love this world?

Well, I definitely don’t hate it.

I’m not sure… Probably not…

I see… You don’t really like Granvania, huh?

It’s not that… I promised Mahiru that I would get her back home, and I also owe her family a lot. They took me in after my parents died in an accident. I don’t feel like I’ve repaid them yet.

I see… That’s unfortunate. The king would have loved if you stayed behind after your mission.

Why is that?

And that’s it for this scene. That… uh… that was definitely something. Shang originally being from Sora isn’t a huge shock, but it is still kind of surprising that he would just come right out and say it like that. I also feel kind of bad for him considering the world he escaped from and the fact that he’s forever a stranger in this world, despite how much he loves it. I mean…

Wait a second… 100 years ago? Do God’s Gifts also get the immortality thing that the Star Maidens get? Or is Shang immortal for other reasons? There’s no way he’s 115+ years old on a natural lifespan.

Oh well. Questions for later. Next time: Ugh... yeah, Mahiru is going to drag us along for more rumor hunting. Also we take a break from the story and spend several updates doing Bonding stuff and also seasonal events.

Psycho Knight fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Jan 25, 2020

The Flying Twybil
Oct 20, 2019

I don't think Sue is really that bad, its just that her events are rather...plain, I guess? Compared to the other options available, it just doesn't seem like I'd be getting any more than what the summaries already give.

I kinda figured Alfie would hit near the top somehow, especially since we have a much different view of Arie compared to what we had when we first voted. I didn't expect her to take 1st, but what can I say?

Femiruna was also expected, given Reone's complete U-turn.

I'll admit this time I actually voted for Yuzuha, though I can't really remember why. I think it was because she was one of the least offensive at this point.

What I was not expecting was for Tarua to steal last place from Lillie. That's no mean feat.

---

In regards to the actual update, I'll honestly say that if the WW1 theory about Shang is real, I'm impressed that part of this game's lore makes sense for once.

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

I don't think Sue is really that bad, its just that her events are rather...plain, I guess? Compared to the other options available, it just doesn't seem like I'd be getting any more than what the summaries already give.

I kinda figured Alfie would hit near the top somehow, especially since we have a much different view of Arie compared to what we had when we first voted. I didn't expect her to take 1st, but what can I say?

Femiruna was also expected, given Reone's complete U-turn.

I'll admit this time I actually voted for Yuzuha, though I can't really remember why. I think it was because she was one of the least offensive at this point.

What I was not expecting was for Tarua to steal last place from Lillie. That's no mean feat.

---

In regards to the actual update, I'll honestly say that if the WW1 theory about Shang is real, I'm impressed that part of this game's lore makes sense for once.

I mean, Tarua got dead last in the previous poll as well, didn’t she? As lovely as Lillie is (not so much Lillith), at least things happen in her events. Tarua just likes to run and deliver letters. That's it for her so far. She's also the most childlike of the maidens in terms of personality and actions.

I get that not much happens in Sue’s events, but they were pretty tearjerking at times, so I thought that would win her points.

As for the Shang thing, keep in mind that the timing only works out this well in Plus. In the original PSP game, the date on Itsuki’s phone in the opening is 2012 (the year of the original game's release). 1912 and earlier wasn't a particularly bad time in history. The only big war was the Second Anglo-Boer war, which was a regional conflict in South Africa involving the British Empire. There were some natural disasters and such, but nothing on the level of horror as a World War.

Obviously Shang is referring to some kind of personal issues when he said he left his regrets behind in Sora. But the timing in Plus just works out so well as an excuse for why Shang would want to escape Earth for another world.

Psycho Knight fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Jan 16, 2020

Skylight
Nov 25, 2011

DIE TO THE DEATH!
SENTANCE TO DEATH!
GREAT EQUALIZER IS THE DEATH!

Psycho Knight posted:

But the timing in Plus just works out so well as an excuse for why Shang would want to escape Earth for another world.

As icing on the "get me off this planet NOW" cake, there was also the flu pandemic around that time, so...yeah, agreed.

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

Skylight posted:

As icing on the "get me off this planet NOW" cake, there was also the flu pandemic around that time, so...yeah, agreed.

poo poo, I forgot about the Spanish Flu! That was another 40+ million people dead. That's like 10% of the world's population gone within a four year span.

Man, 1914-1919 was not a fun time to be alive.

Psycho Knight fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Jan 16, 2020

AnAnonymousIdiot
Sep 14, 2013

I had a feeling that the King had something God's Gift-related; didn't think he'd actually BE one... What I wanna know though is why'd these people make the last God's Gift king? And why this had to be treated as a secret?

Also Ophiuchus wants to be heard methinks.

Balache404
Aug 2, 2018

Psycho Knight posted:

Not sure why Balache went with an Archer instead of a Hunter, but whatever.

DAMMIT! That's what I get for having to refer back to class names while writing comments.

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

AnAnonymousIdiot posted:

I had a feeling that the King had something God's Gift-related; didn't think he'd actually BE one... What I wanna know though is why'd these people make the last God's Gift king? And why this had to be treated as a secret?

That bothers me too. A monarchy is generally not something you just wander up and take control of. What happened to the previous king/queen? Was Granvania a republic or something and Shang just declared himself king once he had saved the world? If the people made him king out of gratitude, then why didn’t the other God’s Gifts get made into kings? There's one of them every 10 years after all. I'm sure that one of them would have been keen on staying in Granvania. Shang can't be the only one.

He answered one question, but it's opened up a whole other box of mysteries.

Balache404 posted:

DAMMIT! That's what I get for having to refer back to class names while writing comments.

I kind of figured that it was a mistake, but I have to take the teams as they are given to me. Tinkering with peoples' suggestions would be in bad form.

It's fine though. It's not like Manitoba the Archer is dragging the team down like Natasha the Magician did. He's leveling quicker than a Hunter would, so he's kind of offsetting his Base Class status.

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

It's a goddamned Dragon Diamond situation, isn't it? They're riffing on the "idols don't poop" trope with the Star Offal-ing. gently caress this stupid game. :v:

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

If Shang was about Itsuki's age when he was kidnapped "called over" to Granvania to fix Star God's fuckups, he'd have been born in the mid-late 1890s, like 1895 or so. Maybe he's a war orphan from the first Sino-Japanese war? Not as world-shaking a conflict as the first WW, but on a personal level, if he had no family to go back to, a world where he was regarded as a hero might be appealing.

Also, while I could see Shang living to 115+ (I think the oldest human being on record was something like 126?) he definitely wouldn't look like a grumpy middle-aged businessman without some source of immortality. Looks like maybe if Itsuki decides to stay behind, he'll have some time to keep the current batch of Star Maidens company while they sit out their 120+ year lifespans.

AnAnonymousIdiot posted:

Also Ophiuchus wants to be heard methinks.
I just think it's been long enough now (100 years) that most of the people who knew their king was a former God's Gift are dead of old age and it's just kinda been forgotten. Remember the rumor that Shang was 120? Turns out it's true.

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

Raitzeno posted:

It's a goddamned Dragon Diamond situation, isn't it? They're riffing on the "idols don't poop" trope with the Star Offal-ing. gently caress this stupid game. :v:

Unfortunately that's the only bodily 'material' I can think of that would gross people out and get them to leave a bar like that. My mind immediately jumped to hair at first, but that wouldn’t cause a reaction like that.

A reminder that I still hate Lillie. Now let's pretend that we didn't just read about the suggestion that Star Offerings are made from Maiden... materials... of any sort.

Commander Keene posted:

If Shang was about Itsuki's age when he was kidnapped "called over" to Granvania to fix Star God's fuckups, he'd have been born in the mid-late 1890s, like 1895 or so. Maybe he's a war orphan from the first Sino-Japanese war? Not as world-shaking a conflict as the first WW, but on a personal level, if he had no family to go back to, a world where he was regarded as a hero might be appealing.

Also, while I could see Shang living to 115+ (I think the oldest human being on record was something like 126?) he definitely wouldn't look like a grumpy middle-aged businessman without some source of immortality. Looks like maybe if Itsuki decides to stay behind, he'll have some time to keep the current batch of Star Maidens company while they sit out their 120+ year lifespans.

I just think it's been long enough now (100 years) that most of the people who knew their king was a former God's Gift are dead of old age and it's just kinda been forgotten. Remember the rumor that Shang was 120? Turns out it's true.

That period of history is just full of horrible garbage on the part of humanity. So many brutal terrible things pop up in that timeframe.

That also raises the question of whether Star God only nabs people from Japan. There hasn’t been any suggestion of it so far and Mana seems to have no idea what 'Japan' is despite no doubt partnering with several God’s Gifts. There's also the fact Mana says she was brought out of the Labyrinths 100 years ago and then spared and protected by a God’s Gift, meaning Shang, which explains why she serves him. If Shang was Japanese, then you'd think he would have told Mana about his home at some point, especially if he is supposedly lonely and Mana was around willing to lend an ear.

Then there's his name, Shangri-La, which is the name of a fictional utopian city near Tibet from the novel Lost Horizon. I doubt that's his real name, so maybe he took it up after being inspired by the book? Meaning Shang is British or from some other English speaking country? Except Lost Horizon was written in the 30's, so where the gently caress would Shang learn that name 10-15 years before Lost Horizon was even created?

(Yes, I know the writers just gave him that name because of its meaning and it sounds cool and they didn't put any actual thought into it being part of his backstory. I'm theorizing about a better written version of this game that exists in our collective unconscious, okay?)

Then there are further questions raised by all this that I thought of this morning. Why is Shang lonely? What happened to the Star Maiden he worked with back when he was a God’s Gift? That was 100 years ago and Star Maidens are supposed to have 120 years of agelessness. Did she die the moment that her powers faded when this Star Chaos thing triggered? Shang doesn't look like a man that is in mourning or anything (the current Star Maidens only came into being a month or two before Itsuki and Mahiru arrived). Plus, nobody else has mentioned anything about there being a woman that Shang used to be friends or lovers with who suddenly passed away. Maybe they had a falling out? Did she choose to leave for Sora when Shang decided to stay in Granvania?

Dammit, Spike Chunsoft! You create so much material to work with in these games and then proceed to do absolutely nothing with any of it. :negative:

Psycho Knight fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Jan 16, 2020

AnAnonymousIdiot
Sep 14, 2013

The anthropologist in me guesses that God's Gifts and Star Maidens over time create bloodlines that make up the nobility of this horrifying realm. That and whatever culture this world has may be influenced by what said God's Gift passes on during their stay. This of course assumes God's Gifts choose to stay in this world and settle down.

But this and other guesses at world building are distractions from the existential horror that the writers are trying to distract us from with juvenile fantasies and irony pretending to be comedy. The setting is unsettling to live in when you think about it; humanity's base urges created monstrosities that live underground for Star God's sake. I still worry that repeated Classmating might radically alter the psyches of all participants over time. And I wouldn't be surprised if the offering is a metaphysical engagement ring to convince the Impurity God to let up once they are beaten to a fine black mist.

This game paints a dark and disturbing picture about how the world works.

AnAnonymousIdiot fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Jan 16, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

Psycho Knight posted:

Actually, I’m pretty sure Narcisstes was the one that… whatever. This is Mahiru I’m talking about. For all I know there was some kind of cut dialogue where it’s mentioned that she got Narc to rope Reone and Mirei into things or otherwise popped up and did it herself.

Interestingly there is an edit just before here but it doesn't make this line better, it makes less sense if anything.

After Tarua says she has to go (actually she says 'I'll definitely help out next time' but it's inconsequential either way)
- Reone shows up and tells Tarua to make sure she looks where she's running, so she doesn't run headfirst into a wall like the last time
- Tarua says 'yeah, I know' and runs offscreen, followed by the sound of shattering glass
- Mirei then shows up to say 'She never learns'
- Tarua reappears to say 'Ha ha, at least it wasn't a wall this time', then runs off again.
- then Mana finally gets to say 'She’s full of energy, as always', then end scene

Mahiru never appears here and Reone and Mirei are clearly still with Itsuki, so Mahiru definitely isn't responsible for anybody being there.

Psycho Knight posted:

Why? It’s not her business. Unless it actually is and this has just been a massive translation fuckup that completely changed Farun’s backstory and made her out to just be a temp worker.

Yeah, no mistakes here, all the previous lines about her just being a helper and the boss letting her do whatever exist. I guess it saves them creating a new 'tavern owner' character or whatever but it's still weird.

Psycho Knight posted:

You’re here to help, Lillie.

Official Itsuki calls her “Lillith” here. Even the translators can’t keep the two of them straight.

The name is actually correct here but it should be "Lillith came here to help [so you should too]"