Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

HEY GUNS posted:

this was one of three wars they had going on at the time, how well could you have done in their place

Let me just check my Spain WC map in EU...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

SlothfulCobra posted:

I don't know, I think anyone who was anyone in Mexico knew that Mexico didn't have a ghost of a chance in an invasion of the US. This thread has gone over how much industrial power America had compared to the whole of Europe, well Mexico had experienced that firsthand. Not just with the Mexican American war, but the fact that everybody in Mexico would go to America for guns when they wanted to get something military done. Unless Germany was willing to fund and supply the bulk of the invasion force while they were busy with the rest of the war.

To me, the Zimmerman telegram serves mostly to highlight how poorly the US/Mexico relationship particularly, and North America generally was understood by European diplomats at the time. It seems to me that they assumed that the realities of European power politics probably existed everywhere, and tried to apply the exact same strategies that had gotten everyone into WWI in the first place.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
To be fair to the Germans it seems to me more like a Hail Mary - the unrestricted submarine warfare campaign and the huge amounts of arms and money going from the US to the allied powers meant US entry into the war seemed inevitable. Given that you might as well try and get the Mexicans to do something stupid on your behalf since the situation probably isn't getting better any time soon.

Like the Pearl Harbor attacks though there was probably an overestimation of how willing the US was to actually go to war, and the direct provocation of the Telegram sealed the deal when otherwise convincing the American public wasn't a sure thing.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

MrYenko posted:

To me, the Zimmerman telegram serves mostly to highlight how poorly the US/Mexico relationship particularly, and North America generally was understood by European diplomats at the time. It seems to me that they assumed that the realities of European power politics probably existed everywhere, and tried to apply the exact same strategies that had gotten everyone into WWI in the first place.

It wasn’t that bad. The US imported a ton of labor with the Bracero program.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

How much did the Monroe Doctrine actually matter?

MikeCrotch posted:

To be fair to the Germans it seems to me more like a Hail Mary - the unrestricted submarine warfare campaign and the huge amounts of arms and money going from the US to the allied powers meant US entry into the war seemed inevitable. Given that you might as well try and get the Mexicans to do something stupid on your behalf since the situation probably isn't getting better any time soon.

Like the Pearl Harbor attacks though there was probably an overestimation of how willing the US was to actually go to war, and the direct provocation of the Telegram sealed the deal when otherwise convincing the American public wasn't a sure thing.

It makes so much tactical sense to pre-empt what looks like an "inevitable" attack, and yet just like with Japan, history looks unkindly upon the idiot who moves first and turns a possibility of war into a certainty. Thus, the ancient and ridiculous art of fishing for a casus beli.

The current US government is pulling that kind of supposedly preemptive attack bullshit, and it's still a horrible awful thing to do, with nebulous justification at best.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

SlothfulCobra posted:

How much did the Monroe Doctrine actually matter?

It mattered at least in that it prompted USA to occupy Haiti for almost 20 years.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I think the Monroe Doctrine is basically formalising a natural inclination of big powerful states to be assholes to small states in their vicinity. I don't think it as a specific doctrine is that big of a deal.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I don't see any goddamn Englishmen around so I guess it worked pretty good

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Fangz posted:

I think the Monroe Doctrine is basically formalising a natural inclination of big powerful states to be assholes to small states in their vicinity. I don't think it as a specific doctrine is that big of a deal.

Yeah, I think it was pretty well understood to be America proclaiming itself to be a colonial empire with its range of satellite states.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

zoux posted:

I don't see any goddamn Soviet subs around so I guess it worked pretty good

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Well here's the thing about submarines

Diabolical!

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

zoux posted:

Well here's the thing about submarines

huge if true

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

HEY GUNS posted:

huge if true

The sea is indeed large, yes.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
wouldn't it be easier to hide the subs in a cave in Tibet or in the Gob desert, where nobody is looking for them

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

Nenonen posted:

wouldn't it be easier to hide the subs in a cave in Tibet or in the Gob desert, where nobody is looking for them

I think I read that in a Clive Cussler novel.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Nenonen posted:

Gob desert

C'MON

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

gobs_program2.exe posted:

newk newk newk newk newk newk newk newk newk newk newk newk newk newk newk newk newk newk newk newk newk newk newk newk newk newk newk newk newk newk newk newk newk newk newk newk newk newk newk newk newk newk newk newk newk newk newk newk newk newk newk newk newk newk newk newk newk newk newk newk newk newk newk newk newk newk newk newk newk newk newk newk newk newk newk newk newk newk newk newk newk newk newk newk newk newk newk newk newk newk newk newk newk newk newk newk newk newk newk newk newk newk newk newk newk newk

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

zoux posted:

I don't see any goddamn Englishmen around so I guess it worked pretty good

Check out Belize's history and location.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

feedmegin posted:

Check out Belize's history and location.
There is salt water and Mexico between us and them; the Englishman's malign power cannot cross salt water, so he seeks other ways

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Nessus posted:

the Englishman's malign power cannot cross salt water, so he seeks other ways

These would be famous last words, if they were in English.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Really a domesticated cat is a much better source of food than a feral one. Think of how silly you'd look trying to chase down a wild cat.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Cythereal posted:

Yeah, I think it was pretty well understood to be America proclaiming itself to be a colonial empire with its range of satellite states.

This was made abundantly clear when Bolton was using it as a justification for meddling in Venezuela during the last coup attempt.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Wait, Bolton invoked the Monroe Doctrine in 2019

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Starting to think the Bolton fella might be a cock

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Nenonen posted:

Elon told me submarines are best used in Thai caves

FrangibleCover
Jan 23, 2018

Nothing going on in my quiet corner of the Pacific.

This is the life. I'm just lying here in my hammock in Townsville, sipping a G&T.

Nessus posted:

There is salt water and Mexico between us and them; the Englishman's malign power cannot cross salt water, so he seeks other ways
I think the Englishman's malign power can only cross salt water. We're terribly good at it.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

HEY GUNS posted:

sabotage can be done without talking to anyone, at which point they tell you they're a german spy

Could this be where "if you ask an undercover cop if he's a cop, he has to say yes or everything else he does is illegal" comes from???

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

zoux posted:

Wait, Bolton invoked the Monroe Doctrine in 2019

Yeah, it ruled (from a historian's perspective.)

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Trin Tragula posted:

Could this be where "if you ask an undercover cop if he's a cop, he has to say yes or everything else he does is illegal" comes from???
if you ask an undercover german if he's a german, he WILL tell you

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Trin Tragula posted:

Sounds like a reference to the German saboteurs during WW2? A group of elite and highly trained saboteurs secretly landed on the East coast, whereupon they immediately ditched their weapons and went to New York to party away their operational budget. And they would've have gotten away with it except for their leader decided to turn them in to the FBI! It took a few attempts and a field trip to the cached explosives before the FBI believed him, though.

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.
The executed everybody but the guy who turned them in. They gave him life in prison. They may have been Nazi saboteurs, but I always thought that was a bit of a dick move.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Captain von Trapp posted:

The executed everybody but the guy who turned them in. They gave him life in prison. They may have been Nazi saboteurs, but I always thought that was a bit of a dick move.

Super dick move! But that's war for you, I suppose.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

"should have just followed the mission god drat"

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

Captain von Trapp posted:

The best part is that the FBI trumpeted it as a triumph of anti-espionage work, when in reality they didn't pay any attention until the guy literally walked into the FBI building in DC and dumped $83,000 in cash on a desk to show that he was telling the truth.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Hoover bought himself another dress for a job well done

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

FMguru posted:

The Tuchman book is a really good, short read.

It's honestly one of the top ten history books of all time. Most of her stuff is pure gold, you should read more Tuchman than you have.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

mllaneza posted:

It's honestly one of the top ten history books of all time. Most of her stuff is pure gold, you should read more Tuchman than you have.
I’ve always enjoyed her work, but also wondered how her work is viewed by modern historians. Does it hold up well? Guns of August very much kicked off my interest in WW1, and even if it isn’t a perfect history, igniting an interest is worth something.

Her one about the gilded age (A proud tower?) is really good as well.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

sullat posted:

Super dick move! But that's war for you, I suppose.

We made up for it with all the fun we let the German POWs have in Phoenix.

https://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/news/flight-from-phoenix-6418278

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EggsAisle
Dec 17, 2013

I get it! You're, uh...
IIRC, someone asked one of the WW1 regulars what they thought of Guns of August a few threads ago. The answer was something like "it's decent history, but be aware that a lot of scholarship has been done in the 50+ years since its publication so it shouldn't be taken as authoritative".