Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
That game looks pretty trash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

400% increase from release date till when? Hey polygon do some drat research.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
It's still anecdotal but I don't think you need to look much further than the steam thread to understand there's a huge part of the market that isn't interested in a game as much as the potential of being able to play that game some day. If you go ahead and get that playing out of the way with a demo, why buy it, you're already basically done with it by just trying it.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Steam's refund policy makes it pretty moot anyways.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
On the other hand, RE2 Remake was kind of like "Hey guys, you might normally overlook this because our previous entries have been kinda lovely, but this is actually insanely good! See for yourself!" and then everyone bought it

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

ZearothK posted:

I think one case where the stunt legitimately worked was with Darkwood, which appears to have a pretty decent number of buyers from the amount of Steam reviews. It does help that Darkwood is an excellent game, though.
Well, it won't help you much if people download your game just to find that actually, there probably a good reason why nobody was willing you money for it. That's certainly true.

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

On the other hand, RE2 Remake was kind of like "Hey guys, you might normally overlook this because our previous entries have been kinda lovely, but this is actually insanely good! See for yourself!" and then everyone bought it
No, that was RE7. By RE2make, people already knew that Capcom was good again.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

I'm one of the three people who bought Lawbreakers and I thought it was really fun. :smith:

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

StrixNebulosa posted:

so omg, Recore is literally 3D Megaman. You're a lady exploring a failed(?) space colony planet with her robot dog friend, You shoot robots with charged shots, have a dash, and look for powerups and parts. I'm in love with it already.

I know the steam reviews say it involves backtracking and has some other issues, but the intro area was fast and smooth to play and I got to pull robot cores right out of them with a silly tug of war minigame so I'm already hooked.

Yeah, I liked the game enough. It dragged in some places and load times were frustrating, but not bad.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

pseudorandom name posted:

These "Indie devs discover that they should market their game" stories will never stop being funny in a very sad way.

Det_no posted:

Yeah, I'm not exactly surprised that it didn't make an impression when the trailer is extremely bad and the game has an obnoxious CRT border effect that doesn't seem to fit the game at all and makes it really hard to look at even beyond its other shortcomings. And on top of that it's a low-budget entry into an absurdly overcrowded genre.

threelemmings
Dec 4, 2007
A jellyfish!

Black Griffon posted:

I'm one of the three people who bought Lawbreakers and I thought it was really fun. :smith:

It's ok, I actually enjoyed Brink. We all have our faults.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Hey, heads up: if you use Windows 10 update it now, it has a problem so bad the NSA reported it.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Thanks for the warning. My notebook already had the update queued up. I guess it's too late for my desktop.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

the new slay the spire character is really cool.

Det_no posted:

yeah it came up in my discovery queue and i just passed by it because it just looks like a worse nuclear throne

Traveler
Sep 13, 2006

No Wave posted:

Are there any games that rip off the mechanics of Catherine? I feel like it could be total crack if the difficulty were toned down. The final stages that are all about speed and not hard puzzles were really enjoyable, like Tetris Attack levels of fun.

Kurushi/Intelligent Qube is like a PSX predicessor to Catherine

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Cardiovorax posted:

No, that was RE7. By RE2make, people already knew that Capcom was good again.

To be honest I thought RE7 sucked. It's one of those games that I just don't understand why people like it. Perhaps if I played it in VR I would feel differently. To me it felt very "video-gamey" and it was impossible to suspend my disbelief in any way.

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Jan 16, 2020

Anthony Chuzzlewit
Oct 26, 2008

good for healthy

StrixNebulosa posted:

so omg, Recore is literally 3D Megaman. You're a lady exploring a failed(?) space colony planet with her robot dog friend, You shoot robots with charged shots, have a dash, and look for powerups and parts. I'm in love with it already.

I know the steam reviews say it involves backtracking and has some other issues, but the intro area was fast and smooth to play and I got to pull robot cores right out of them with a silly tug of war minigame so I'm already hooked.

Recore was fine and fun enough. One thing I'd say: if you stop having fun, feel free to stop rather than pushing through to the end. There's no payoff whatsoever. The ending just sets up a sequel that will never come.

Edit: also IMO blue core guy in the dog body has the best special attack. Eventually he blasts that laser in a full 360 degree arc that does huge damage to everything. :hellyeah:

Anthony Chuzzlewit fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Jan 16, 2020

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe

StrixNebulosa posted:

Hey, heads up: if you use Windows 10 update it now, it has a problem so bad the NSA reported it.

Well, poo poo. Mine autoupdated last night.

Has anyone played Bloody Spell? I'm on a Soulslike kick and it's currently at 60% off. The game play looks fun, but thin

It also looks horny as gently caress in a cheesy, Jim Wynorski kind of way, which is usually a sign of a poo poo game, so I'm still kind of iffy on it.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

oh sweet, i finally caught an atelier sale. inject the anime directly into my veins thank you

Trickyblackjack
Feb 13, 2012

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

To be honest I thought RE7 sucked. It's one of those games that I just don't understand why people like it. Perhaps if I played it in VR I would feel differently. To me it felt very "video-gamey" and it was impossible to suspend my disbelief in any way.

I think many felt it was a good return to B-movie horror of classic RE after the unfocused mess of RE6, with a fresh take to boot with the new perspective. But the RE series was always quite "video-gamey" imo, with magic healing herbs and weird convoluted locks blocking progression and giant animals and stuff. And then before you knew it you were suplexing Spaniard peasants in the 1800s as Leon "2kool4skool" kennedy in what is considered a legit masterpiece.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Trickyblackjack posted:

I think many felt it was a good return to B-movie horror of classic RE after the unfocused mess of RE6, with a fresh take to boot with the new perspective. But the RE series was always quite "video-gamey" imo, with magic healing herbs and weird convoluted locks blocking progression and giant animals and stuff. And then before you knew it you were suplexing Spaniard peasants in the 1800s as Leon "2kool4skool" kennedy in what is considered a legit masterpiece.

I'm not doing a good job of explaining why I didn't like it. Just that for some reason I like pretty much every RE game except 6 and 7.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
I'm in a weird spot where I know I liked 7 a lot while I was playing it but I've also forgotten most of what happens during the game and have no desire to play it again (when I usually want to play my favorite RE games a million times). I wasn't even like hosed up while I was playing through it or anything, it's just, outside of a few segments (first boss fight in the garage, the birthday party) it's completely slipped out of my mind. I think I enjoyed it but not really for the same reasons I enjoyed any other RE games.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

I always wondered if RE7 started life without the mold guys- all of the places where it shines involve the Redneck Mr. X Family, and I think it'd go a long way towards tightening up the experience if it was just, like, four 2-hour mazes with a single family member patrolling each area while you sneaked around and sacrificed resources when they trapped you in a dead-end or crap.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
I don't like RE7 either, and it's mostly due to it trying to not be campy. There's still absurdity there, but rather than embracing it, RE7 tries too hard to play it straight. They listened to the fans too much and tried to make a serious horror game, but those are loving boring. Resident Evil always pretended to be horror, but slowly abandoned that veneer over the course of each game until it became absolutely hilarious.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

A "serious horror game" in which one of the insane rednecks gets into the a car and starts trying to ram you while still in the garage.

If that's not embracing ridiculousness, then I don't know what is.

Orv
May 4, 2011

K8.0 posted:

I don't like RE7 either, and it's mostly due to it trying to not be campy. There's still absurdity there, but rather than embracing it, RE7 tries too hard to play it straight. They listened to the fans too much and tried to make a serious horror game, but those are loving boring. Resident Evil always pretended to be horror, but slowly abandoned that veneer over the course of each game until it became absolutely hilarious.

This feels mildly revisionist. Not that early RE doesn't have some absurdity but it definitely went more straight-laced than not in the early days.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

"Tried to go straight-laced" is probably a better description. It was the 90s.

Orv
May 4, 2011
I mean, yeah. There is a certain level of violent camp that only FMV can provide.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
RE7 is great. Especially for how authentic the level designers made the "old house filled with junk" feel. I've visited houses like that myself, minus the mold zombies and death traps.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

ponzicar posted:

RE7 is great. Especially for how authentic the level designers made the "old house filled with junk" feel. I've visited houses like that myself, minus the mold zombies and death traps.

Intentional death traps.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Obit. Chris Redfield, 1986-2013. Crushed to death beneath a pile of bewilderingly assembled ceramic dolls.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

K8.0 posted:

You literally staple your hands back on when they get cut off by a chain saw.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Uh no, they don't play 7 dead straight because Jack Baker is intentionally hilarious while still being intimidating. Like I don't know how you can not recognize that 7 just revels in its camp.

"NICE CAR, ETHAN!"

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
I loved 7 because of how ridiculous it got. But having played 1 a 2 remake and 7, I don't enjoy leaving the starting levels. For me RE games are the best when you run around the starting locations (police station or house).

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

lordfrikk posted:

I loved 7 because of how ridiculous it got. But having played 1 a 2 remake and 7, I don't enjoy leaving the starting levels. For me RE games are the best when you run around the starting locations (police station or house).

It's weird how in my head the entirety of RE2 takes place in the police station, even though that's like barely half the game.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

You have a goddamn chainsaw duel in RE7. It's campy.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Jack even says "Groovy" when he picks his one up

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Nothing tops giant Napoleon baby robot chase

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

I think what jars people is that the tone in RE7 isn't consistent. There are extended stretches where nothing is funny or goofy and you are expected to be engaging seriously with the characters.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

RE7 also has a DLC where you punch mold monsters, throw spears at alligators and suplex a swap monster.

It absolutely is camp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Yeah so does Nic Cage in Mandy. You going to say that is campy too?