Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Caufman
May 7, 2007
The best parts of every state are the un-humaned parts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Caufman posted:

The best parts of every state are the un-humaned parts.

Bit of a catch-22 though. If you go there you ruin it with your humanness.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

Facebook Aunt posted:

Bit of a catch-22 though. If you go there you ruin it with your humanness.

Yeah but then you are ruining it for everyone else and thats just the american way!

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Knormal posted:

Florida is great as long as you go far away from where all the people are and look at the cool alligators and iguanas.

For example check out this sassy boy.

actually, you should do us Floridians a solid and kill any iguanas you see, they're invasive.

Schlinky
Mar 12, 2009

...Too much drink.

MrUnderbridge posted:

We have a winner. :corsair:

Second and fourth grades, while Dad was in Vietnam. Naturally Grampa lived in a condo in Sunny Florida so we picked there instead of Tiny Town, Minnesota where the other grandparents lived.

The big plus was going to Cocoa Beach on the regular, and watching Apollos 11, 12 and 13 launch from a few miles away. Other than that, not a lot of entertainment options for kids.

Just wanted to say, ignoring all the Florida discussion, how cool this would have been (and is to me). You reminded me of a blog post recently done by a photographer who took shots of the Apollo launches:

Apollo 4 launch - source, plus the behind the scenes of making the shot

Apollo 8 launch - source and also the making of

(Guy also took shots of later Apollo missions, but I love those two images.)

I dunno, there's a part of me that gets really excited to hear stories like that, both from someone witnessing a historical moment and also sci-fi coming to life. So uh, thanks for posting I guess.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
waste of money and bad for the environment

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I knew a guy from Jacksonville. Suicidally depressed ex-military furry. Last I heard he'd started smoking weed full-time.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Randaconda posted:

actually, you should do us Floridians a solid and kill any iguanas you see, they're invasive.

I feel like if an animal can just walk north, it doesn't really count as an invasion and more of a range extension. It's not like pythons or cane roads where they've been introduced from overseas.

I remember from the 90s there was a series of Australian flash (shockwave?) games and one of them involved running over cane toads in a truck.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
More of a funny sound
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JSCmrHDq7GM

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Knormal posted:

Florida is great as long as you go far away from where all the people are and look at the cool alligators and iguanas.

For example check out this sassy boy.

Lol if you think this poo poo doesn't live like in your backyard here

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

https://twitter.com/whatrosasaid/status/951769344811266048

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHx4H6YrLgY

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Where we are going we won't need shirts
Pillbug

To the end there it reminded me of those cerebral palsy cats.

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.

MrUnderbridge posted:

...watching Apollos 11, 12 and 13 launch from a few miles away.

That's some serious street cred right there.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

I never knew Blake was his middle name. Now I'm mad that he could've been going by Bobby Bortles this whole time, a much superior name.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Elfface posted:

What's that Proc gen concert poster that also had a couple of real ones in it? All I remember is Colton Burpo was a real name.

I will never, ever tire of this image:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Chris Chris and Chris Del Chris sounds plausible

I mean major candidates are taking advice from a political podcast started by a bunch of guys all named Jon

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHchmWsrfUo

An old classic

cohsae
Jun 19, 2015

In the same vein, this one is long but it's worth it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EU2AIxkxiwg

cohsae has a new favorite as of 14:09 on Jan 16, 2020

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Pastry of the Year posted:

I will never, ever tire of this image:

I wish Cool Shirtman's scenes weren't cut from Death Stranding

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eTaqUrt1pQI

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Did anyone else half-expect the eyes to suddenly stare at the camera?

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Nap Ghost

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Chris Chris and Chris Del Chris sounds plausible

LOL forever that Colton Burpo does not sound plausible, but somehow is an actual person's real name.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

One More Fat Nerd posted:

LOL forever that Colton Burpo does not sound plausible, but somehow is an actual person's real name.

every now and then I wonder "what if they met" about Colton Burpo and Falcon Heene

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Schlinky posted:

I dunno, there's a part of me that gets really excited to hear stories like that, both from someone witnessing a historical moment and also sci-fi coming to life. So uh, thanks for posting I guess.

The coolest part (to me) was hearing g everybody around counting down from ten, then a bright spark moving silently upwards. We were across the lagoon, which was smooth as glass. Then I see this wave of choppy water zooming towards us. I was " What th..." and WHAM. It was the sound of the Saturn's engines making the surface dance. Loudest continuous sound I ever heard.

Thanks, Mom, for getting us up at 1 AM to get there!

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Beachcomber posted:

I feel like if an animal can just walk north, it doesn't really count as an invasion and more of a range extension. It's not like pythons or cane roads where they've been introduced from overseas.

I remember from the 90s there was a series of Australian flash (shockwave?) games and one of them involved running over cane toads in a truck.

the problem is that florida winters are typically juuuuuust cold enough to kill iguanas. except now, with global warming, they aren't, so their range is expanding. the florida fish and wildlife commission encourages maximal, kill on sight policies for green iguanas because they're pretty destructive to current ecosystems as well as human infrastructure

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

WHat kind of semiotics are these

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe

luxury handset posted:

the problem is that florida winters are typically juuuuuust cold enough to kill iguanas. except now, with global warming, they aren't, so their range is expanding. the florida fish and wildlife commission encourages maximal, kill on sight policies for green iguanas because they're pretty destructive to current ecosystems as well as human infrastructure

poo poo, Florida, do you want reptilians? Because this is how you get reptilians!

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

Val Helmethead posted:

Hello from someone who escaped West Palm Beach in 2002. It was hot and the people sucked, but the seafood and hispanic food of all varieties cannot be replicated in Pittsburgh.

Trump lives there now and we knew he was a fucknugget before he started running for president, but I guess the rest of the state didn't get the memo.

On a related note gently caress anywhere in Florida more North and West of it.

Yeah I’m there now and this is accurate.

It’s such a weird mix of people though:
-Cubans
-Afro-Caribbean folks
-New England WASPs and snowbirds
-Long island Jews
-Florida SALT LIFE rednecks
-bewildered midwesterners (I’m in this category)
-Ultra millionaires/celebrities
-Tons of addicts and homeless
-Space Industry
-The most Thai restaurants I’ve ever seen
-Donald Trump
-Surfers/hippies

All in like a 20 mile radius where they spend their days crashing into each other at high speeds on I-95.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Zzulu posted:

waste of money and bad for the environment

don't sign your posts

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

bar88537 posted:

Wasn't there a scene in the Big Short about this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mfu_iFS-UY8

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

zoux posted:

WHat kind of semiotics are these

Suspiria Fanclub Semiotics I think.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
https://i.imgur.com/yIl9pxH.mp4

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
https://twitter.com/wereville/status/1217629241619046400

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
My mom had an aunt that lived in Orlando back in the 50s, had a small farm and some chickens. The road she lived on was unnamed, and since everyone would just at things like "go about a quarter mile past [her name]'s street" eventually they just named it [her name] street.

The street's still there and from what I understand it's in a profoundly lovely part of town.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Baron von Eevl posted:

My mom had an aunt that lived in Orlando back in the 50s, had a small farm and some chickens. The road she lived on was unnamed, and since everyone would just at things like "go about a quarter mile past [her name]'s street" eventually they just named it [her name] street.

The street's still there and from what I understand it's in a profoundly lovely part of town.

Is that Thunder Thighs Edna St.?

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Dam I see you know your Orlando

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

zoux
Apr 28, 2006