Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

mind the walrus posted:

That makes sense, albeit weird when I consider how young some of them seem. Then again viewing FFXIII and FFXV through the "otaku mid-life crisis" lens explains a hell of a lot

FFXV was made by one of the younger developers, hajime tabata (who previously directed type-0 and was probably a "fixer" for the disastrous parasite eve 3, which was mostly the fault of the same guy who made FFXIII), but he was only called in after tetsuya nomura spent almost ten years on the project with gently caress-all to show for it, partly because he's an atrocious manager and partly because SE kept taking him away from it to fiddle with more kingdom hearts crap

tabata was basically given a bunch of nomura's napkin scribblings and told to make them into a complete flagship game in ~2 years, and he delegated the project like an actual manager should, creating roadmaps, setting goals, and pulling in talent from outside SE's usual resource pool. the fact that they were able to ship anything at all was a miracle, let alone something that had that much charm under its obviously patchwork content

he then left the company to start his own. no reason was given, but i'm pretty sure it was because SE's upper management was trying to either wrest his control away from FFXV or just chain him to the property indefinitely so they could crank out more DLC for it (really, really bad DLC if the project notes are anything to go by), and he decided to just hit the Eject button instead

Oxxidation has a new favorite as of 19:42 on Jan 13, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Add on top of that the fact that they made the Luminous Engine or whatever it was called for the development of FFXV. Which is an entire ordeal of work on it's own.
A lot of resources went into just making that usable for a game proper, while it itself wasn't at a point where it was usable for the other teams in SE either.
Kingdom Hearts 3 was going to use that engine, until they ended up going with Unreal instead, and that released 2.5 years later.

Game engines are never ready until they've been used to make a couple games already. Developing a complex engine while making a game is almost always a recipe for disaster, resources wise.

It's very much the same kind of trap they stepped into with 13. New engine + massively bloated game and development, with no good way of recouping costs.

It seems like a lot of the bigger japanese studios are more comfortable running 3rd party engines nowadays though. Not that that'll help with project + development bloat.

SubNat has a new favorite as of 19:59 on Jan 13, 2020

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
For reference, FFXV and KH3 were both massively popular games and huge financial successes and there's nothing indicating FF7R won't be the same, if not higher due to the nostalgia, so maybe they got the right idea with these disasters.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Oxxidation posted:

SE's game development is a ramshackle disaster because nearly all the directorial and project management positions are filled by senior employees immune to consequences

Of course they’re immune to consequences, the American dev teams get thrown under the bus for having their games “underperform” despite selling insanely well.

Tomb Raider 2013 was one of SE’s best selling games and was a “sales disappointment” according to SE because they wanted it to basically fund FFXIV back when that was a complete trash fire.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Samuringa posted:

For reference, FFXV and KH3 were both massively popular games and huge financial successes and there's nothing indicating FF7R won't be the same, if not higher due to the nostalgia, so maybe they got the right idea with these disasters.

Citation needed. They weren't duds but I'd have a hard time believing either is propping the company up relative to their cost.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Brother Entropy posted:

type-0, can't remember what it was originally called when it was a part of the 13 saga

Final Fantasy Agito XIII.

ETA:

mind the walrus posted:

Citation needed. They weren't duds but I'd have a hard time believing either is propping the company up relative to their cost.

SE reported XV had broken even within the first 24 hours, and that along with Rise of the Tomb Raider, had increased their profits and revenue for that fiscal year by a good amount.

AngryRobotsInc has a new favorite as of 20:57 on Jan 13, 2020

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

mind the walrus posted:

https://www.siliconera.com/final-fantasy-xv-broke-even-development-costs-launch-day/

They were extremely profitable and to think that, just because there were complaints about it in the gaming community, it didn't sell well or is somehow a harbinger of doom for SE is foolish.

Here's the thing: SE is a company motivated by profits, not nostalgia. If they had a series that wasn't profitable, they would drop it in a heartbeat.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Ooh, I tried turning Quantum Theory down to easy for a rail-shooty part so I wouldn't die as fast and it does not work fyi. On easy it gives you an aim assist, so it snaps you to an enemy target. However, it doesn't do it to mines, so it actually only makes things equally hard for different reasons (as if you can shoot the mines the enemies die faster). I may not get past this part.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Der Kyhe posted:

Final Fantasy XII had that weird single player MMO-approach and a full expansion disk worth of content they never bothered to translate to anything else than Japanese.

The upgraded version of FF12 is the one that got ported to PC/PS4/Xbone/Switch a couple years ago.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
The only thing dragging down Luigi's Mansion 3 is that they didn't have the balls to call it Hotel Luigi.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Morpheus posted:

https://www.siliconera.com/final-fantasy-xv-broke-even-development-costs-launch-day/

They were extremely profitable and to think that, just because there were complaints about it in the gaming community, it didn't sell well or is somehow a harbinger of doom for SE is foolish.

Here's the thing: SE is a company motivated by profits, not nostalgia. If they had a series that wasn't profitable, they would drop it in a heartbeat.
:allears:

Never change.

I did get the perception that those games didn't do very well, especially Stateside, and it would not have surprised me if the FF wing of the company were being underwritten by other less "prestigious" teams, or even just Japanese DQ sales, while some insane senior management ran their too-trendy youth culture fantasy sims.

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006
Canadian Santa Extraordinaire
In short,

But videogames

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

That’s why I don’t associate with Disney whatsoever

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
More like oldmouseless.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Leavemywife posted:

The only thing dragging down Luigi's Mansion 3 is that they didn't have the balls to call it Hotel Luigi.

Haven't played Monopoly in ages - do you need 3 houses or 4 before you can build a hotel?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

StandardVC10 posted:

Haven't played Monopoly in ages - do you need 3 houses or 4 before you can build a hotel?

Edit:the Pro-tier stat is never upgrade to a hotel. There's only so many houses and upgrading puts them back into the pool. But if you sit on a property with 4 you prevent them going back into the economy.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Okay then. They need to make one more Luigi's Mansion game before they can release Luigi's Hotel, because them's the rules. :colbert:

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

The true victory is to screw your more famous superstar brother out of a win based on an understanding of fundamental game limitations

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Luigi calling Mario just to be all "You're still a plumber, I've moved into real estate. Who's the loser now?"

Actually speaking mechanically, Mario is 5 nights at freddy's, Luigi is ghostbusters.

BioEnchanted has a new favorite as of 06:54 on Jan 14, 2020

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

SubNat posted:

Game engines are never ready until they've been used to make a couple games already. Developing a complex engine while making a game is almost always a recipe for disaster, resources wise.

Boy wait until you find out about Resident Evil 7.

And then re-using that engine for DMC5 and Re2make!

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Len posted:

Edit:the Pro-tier stat is never upgrade to a hotel. There's only so many houses and upgrading puts them back into the pool. But if you sit on a property with 4 you prevent them going back into the economy.

Definitely ruining someones day with this knowledge further down the line.

bewilderment posted:

Boy wait until you find out about Resident Evil 7.

And then re-using that engine for DMC5 and Re2make!

Haven't Capcom always been really good at engines?

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
this is the real monopoly knowledge: dont loving play it its never worth the time

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Tiler Kiwi posted:

this is the real monopoly knowledge: dont loving play it its never worth the time

If you play rules as written it's still a bad game but it ends fairly quick. The problem is that people play with all these house rules that don't do anything that make the game longer.

It wasn't until we played Megalopoly over the summer that I noticed the rule about when you bankrupt someone and that's a literal game changer.

quote:

BANKRUPTCY… You are declared bankrupt if you owe more than
you can pay either to another player or to the Bank. If your debt is to
another player, you must turn over to that player all that you have of
value and retire from the game. In making this settlement, if you own
houses or hotels, you must return these to the Bank in exchange for
money to the extent of one-half the amount paid for them; this cash is
given to the creditor. If you have mortgaged property you also turn
this property over to your creditor but the new owner must at once
pay the Bank the amount of interest on the loan, which is 10% of the
value of the property. The new owner who does this may then, at
his/her option, pay the principal or hold the property until some later
turn, then lift the mortgage. If he/she holds property in this way until a later turn, he/she must pay the interest again upon lifting the
mortgage.

So you can end up taking out another player but depending on where you stand that could start your own death spiral

Edit: phone posting so I don't know why the formatting looks hosed in the actual post but not my text box to type in

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Len posted:

Edit: phone posting so I don't know why the formatting looks hosed in the actual post but not my text box to type in

The text you're quoting has manual linebreaks, and (I'm guessing) they match up pretty well with where your phone would put linebreaks anyway on the editing screen, but the actual thread view has more or less space or uses a different font or something, so the line breaks no longer synchronise.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Started playing The Witcher 3 on PS4, thanks to the Netlix series, and God-drat I feel like I'm doing something wrong because combat is hard as gently caress.

I'm still low level, only 4 (also found like 3 or 4 shrines for the extra skill points,) but I'm still easily dying to, like, a pack of 3 wolves.

I am trying to do mob-management, but I feel like there is massive input lag, or something. I try to dodge/roll, but it doesn't happen half the time, or I feel like it happens way later than when I push the button ("way later" feeling like a second, but it's probably only like .25 second.)

But honestly, the biggest issue is I just am not doing enough damage. Should I have better equipment by now? I've upgraded both swords to newer ones I've found maybe twice but there weren't HUGE jumps in damage, maybe the new range is only like 10-15 more than the starter set?

I'm using oils when I can, as well as signs, potions, and bombs, but I feel like I'm wasting bombs for low-level mobs. I know they refill with a meditation so long as I have the right alcohol, but now I'm running out of alcohol if I have to meditate after drat near every fight.

It took me over a dozen tries to finish that drat werewolf quest because he was just healing so much faster than I could dish out damage, and I had to bring the difficulty down to the second lowest setting. Right now, I'm keeping it there...I don't want to go to the lowest, because I want SOME challenge, but to quote Lisa Simpson:

And then on top of it load times for a saved game feel like they take forever on PS4...I timed it, and it's only like a minute and a half to two minutes, but the last couple games I've played (FC5, RDR2) don't have nearly as long a load time (with the exception of the initial load time when you first start, especially for RDR2.)

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

DrBouvenstein posted:

And then on top of it load times for a saved game feel like they take forever on PS4...I timed it, and it's only like a minute and a half to two minutes, but the last couple games I've played (FC5, RDR2) don't have nearly as long a load time (with the exception of the initial load time when you first start, especially for RDR2.)

The load times are why I haven’t really played much at all on my PS4 lately. I had been barely tolerating them as it is, but then I got a laptop with an SSD in it and it became unbearable by comparison. Going from 5-10 second load times to 2+ minute for some bigger titles, especially stuff like Yakuza, it was just too much. The PS5’s SSD and backwards compatibility has me pretty excited though.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

The load times are why I haven’t really played much at all on my PS4 lately. I had been barely tolerating them as it is, but then I got a laptop with an SSD in it and it became unbearable by comparison. Going from 5-10 second load times to 2+ minute for some bigger titles, especially stuff like Yakuza, it was just too much. The PS5’s SSD and backwards compatibility has me pretty excited though.

Yeah, I regret not upgrading my PS4 to an SSD when I got it, but I chose bigger storage space over speed. To be fair, I've downloaded a TON of games (thanks to when PS+ had decent free games,) and I haven't had to delete anything yet.

But yeah...I'd happily delete games I haven't played in 3+ years to get fast load times.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Just put the data on an external (spinning rust if necessary) drive once you're done with a game, that hassle is worth it to me. Sure SSDs in current consoles might not be utilized perfectly because of overhead and other stuff, but for loading times of open world titles they're still really good.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Most games don't benefit much from a SSD on the PS4.

Witcher 3 in particular is about 20% faster but the load times are still nearly a minute.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

DrBouvenstein posted:

Started playing The Witcher 3 on PS4, thanks to the Netlix series, and God-drat I feel like I'm doing something wrong because combat is hard as gently caress.

Witcher 3 starts out really hard, before you get some skills, levels, and equipment under your belt. And that werewolf quest is a giant pain in the rear end because of its healing factor.

Remember that there is a difference between dodging away from an attack and rolling away. The rolling in particular does have quite a bit of lag, and once I stopped using it things became easier.

What skills do you have slotted in right now?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Aphrodite posted:

Most games don't benefit much from a SSD on the PS4.

Witcher 3 in particular is about 20% faster but the load times are still nearly a minute.

The PS4 is basically crippled by architecture on that one- you can see load time drops by putting a same-speed HDD into an external enclosure and using it through the USB port. I think the pro is supposed to be better about that.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Do you remember the good old days when the whole point of consoles was they were a thing you just played games on? No loving around with hardware to decrease loading time, no updates or installation of software. Just put disc/cartridge in and play.

Christ, I feel old.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Switch comes pretty close if you stick to physical cards, they have updates obviously, but a good percentage are added content so I don't mind.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Sunswipe posted:

Do you remember the good old days when the whole point of consoles was they were a thing you just played games on? No loving around with hardware to decrease loading time, no updates or installation of software. Just put disc/cartridge in and play.

Christ, I feel old.

They still are, for the countries where building your PC or other such stuff is comically expensive. You get the system, put it online and play stuff, update poo poo non-withstanding.

EDIT: Or for those people who have no loving idea on how PC systems and their capabilities correlate. So most of the people, none of the SA Forum Goons.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Sunswipe posted:

Christ, I feel old.

The PS4's lovely drive is kind of a good compromise. It kept the price of the console low and made it approachable for all crowds. If you're not really into games, you won't really mind the load times because you're used to them, and probably not playing too many of the ones with tons of loading. If you're into games, you have a few ways to spend some extra money to speed things up without increasing the buy-in price by 1-2 hundo. Would have been a lot more to put an SSD in a PS4 at release, those drives used to be crazy expensive.

I've been a PC gamer since I was a kid, though, so I have always liked dicking around with hardware. I did my first computer upgrade (with lots of help from my dad, obviously) when I was five. I once cut a hole in the side of a computer with a bandsaw to run in cables for a secondary PSU because of how my frankencomputer needed to have the manufacturer original PSU to run the motherboard. Tweaking stuff is a fun puzzle to me.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Sunswipe posted:

Christ, I feel old.

Sure, but it meant permanently unpatchable errors and unchangeable hardware gripes.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Morpheus posted:

Sure, but it meant permanently unpatchable errors and unchangeable hardware gripes.

Even the N64 had a RAM upgrade available for purchase, so even in the good old days consoles had some tweaking to them.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

The real problem with the PS4 hardware is the godawful wifi card. I swear I got much better speed on my PS3 than on my PS4 set up in the same place. I ended up having to hardwire the thing.

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Even the N64 had a RAM upgrade available for purchase, so even in the good old days consoles had some tweaking to them.

drat, I was about to say that that RAM pack only worked for three games, but it was only required for three games: Donkey Kong 64, Perfect Dark, and Majoras Mask. Apparently there was a fair 30 or 40 games that could optionally use it, which I didn't know. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nintendo_64_accessories#Expansion_Pak_(NUS-007)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
So I've started playing Far Cry Primal and I think it's finally dawned on me what my least favorite part of the series is: the over-reliance on hosed uP dRuG tRiPs as a significant element. They made sense in 3, because that game was explicitly going for an Alice in Wonderland thing. It's dumb and obvious, but there was at least a reason for it and they did actually have a few meaningful moments. Meanwhile in 4 they served no purpose whatsoever other than to vaguely justify the magic potions you can craft in these games and were attached to the definitively worst characters in the franchise. Even worse, they were redundant - 4 had its own weird magical Shangrila mythology sections that could've easily fully taken their place. And of course, hallucinatory drug bullshit plays a critical role in 5, much to everyone's chagrin.

In Primal it's less bad, because it's framed as caveman spiritualism type stuff, but even then they can't help themselves by A) making the start of every trip sequence have the medicine man do some kind of wacky move, like appear over and over from different angles as your character passes out or laugh creepily in your face* as your view fuzzes out, etc. (after feeding you wAcKy and gross potions, natch) and B) the visions end up using the same recycled broad strokes from every previous drug trip in the series. Waves of enemies but you have some kind of super power or are borderline invincible? Check. Thing big, big thing moves, big thing attacks you? Yyyyup. Incredibly unsubtle imagery? Of loving course. I kind of liked the first vision, where you chase down a spirit owl to gain your first animal companion, but even that throws in some janky flying sequences derived from previous stuff.

*This stock over the top "Far Cry Character" personality also reads as a great deal more uncanny in this game. Despite trading in the same schlocky violence as the rest of the games, the fundamental tone of the game is markedly different, so every character being a broken human being in a world gone mad doesn't quite work...because the world hasn't really gone mad? In general the game seems to struggle with maintaining its tone much more than the other games. This extends to the tension between attempts at simulationist survival mechanics and trimmed down user-friendly crafting, not to mention scads of menus and subsystems drawing attention away from the immediate natural world.

John Murdoch has a new favorite as of 03:28 on Jan 17, 2020