Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I'm not sure there are any important environmental impacts from future meat, given the way literally everything else has changed too.

Every other GHG source has been eliminated and they have literal weather machines, so that's not a problem. They can terraform planets too, and combined with other naturally supportive places, there's probably gigantic ranches with herds of cattle living quite naturally getting culled for slaughter by ranchers that live in orbit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
But the spot where Harris Ranch used to be, along I-5, still smells like poo poo.

Totally a new goon
Oct 9, 2019

by Cyrano4747

Sash! posted:

there's probably gigantic ranches with herds of cattle living quite naturally getting culled for slaughter by ranchers that live in orbit.

Never go full Ba’ul.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Epicurius posted:

It's not even implied. Riker outright states in one of TNG's famous "Future people are better than you." speeches that animals aren't 'enslaved' for meat and that all meat is replicated, thereby upsetting furry Gul Dukat. (No, really, the episode has Mark Alaimo playing some sort of alien dog man who's on the ship to negotiate with this lizard man, and then at the end, we find out he ate the lizard man. Early TNG was weird and pretty bad)

Why does this particular scene get referenced so frequently when people want to poo poo on first season TNG? It's funny and better than most of the rest of that episode.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Arglebargle III posted:

They would be in so much trouble if a real ambassador ate another one on their watch. What a shitshow.

Mission's still going better than Journey to Babel did. :colbert:

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Arglebargle III posted:

They would be in so much trouble if a real ambassador ate another one on their watch. What a shitshow.

Posting from the Mirror Universe: a TNG episode that runs like a discarded Orville plot

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Epicurius posted:

It's not even implied. Riker outright states in one of TNG's famous "Future people are better than you." speeches that animals aren't 'enslaved' for meat and that all meat is replicated, thereby upsetting furry Gul Dukat. (No, really, the episode has Mark Alaimo playing some sort of alien dog man who's on the ship to negotiate with this lizard man, and then at the end, we find out he ate the lizard man. Early TNG was weird and pretty bad)

That's Badar N'D'D.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Why does this particular scene get referenced so frequently when people want to poo poo on first season TNG? It's funny and better than most of the rest of that episode.

It's just odd and offputting. The ambassador plot is irrelevant to the main plot, and not particularly interesting and it ends with "Oh, one of the ambassadors are the other.", and you almost expect a laugh track, and then that's the episode.

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

what a humorous anecdote.

EvilTaytoMan posted:

Although there was one episode where Lwaxanna said she was going to program in a recipe into a replicator so it may be possible without a template.

I mean, if it already has the information for what every individual ingredient in the dish is gonna be, it makes sense you'd be able to tell it how to put them together. If it already has info for noodles, tomatoes, basil, parmesan, etc, you can tell it how to make your grandma's spaghetti without having to fly out to Bumfuck Four and asking her to make some for you so you can toss it in the imaging scanner or whatever.
This also means that, until someone tells the Starfleet Chef Association what a leola root or hair pasta is, nobody from Voyager will be able to ever recreate one of Neelix's dishes.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Picard clip up:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N8tdEKz_vFc

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Senor Tron posted:

I imagine most would be fine with it. It's similar to how labs working on meat substitutes nowadays eat a lot of real meat to compare.

That said, from what we know of the replicator killing anything shouldn't be required. Take live animal and scan it, since replicator cant create living things it will just replicate a dead version.
But I don't want a whole dead chicken, I want some chicken cacciatore. Presumably you would have to sacrifice a few animals at some point to get new info into the system, although even if Starfleet Culinary is pushing new recipes every four starmonths you have reduced the number of animals being killed by orders of magnitude. HOWEVER: An animal WAS killed at some point.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

It's weird to see the Frenchman speak French. Everybody knows he's British

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

Just scan an animal that died of natural causes, moral turpitude is now a non-issue.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I wonder if it’s frowned upon to order veal or foie gras meals through the replicator.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Nessus posted:

But I don't want a whole dead chicken, I want some chicken cacciatore. Presumably you would have to sacrifice a few animals at some point to get new info into the system, although even if Starfleet Culinary is pushing new recipes every four starmonths you have reduced the number of animals being killed by orders of magnitude. HOWEVER: An animal WAS killed at some point.

Chicken cacciatore starts off as a whole dead chicken.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

I heard Patrick Stewart was opposed to his Enterprise ready room having fish because he thought that having pets wasn't very star trek

But then the fish stayed and data had his cat and now he has a dog so i guess he never got close to winning that fight

If they got rid of the fish what were the dolphins supposed to eat?

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Who is Admiral Aken Bosch, and what is that old scoundrel up to?

big balls on number one

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

That's some rough fuckin' CGI.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Admiral Bosch posted:

big balls on number one

Timby posted:

That's some rough fuckin' CGI.

:hmmyes: :quagmire:

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

pospysyl posted:

If they got rid of the fish what were the dolphins supposed to eat?
You replicate some dead fish. I've seen marine mammals of all kind happily eat cold dead fish out of a bucket held by an ensign.

Organic Lube User posted:

Just scan an animal that died of natural causes, moral turpitude is now a non-issue.
That's what goes into the TKL Rations.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

the barclay of cetacean ops

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Maybe ST: Picard will just be episodes of Last of the Summer Wine with spaceships flying by every so often.

Three Men In A Hover Sonic Bath.

(This post is basically incomprehensible to anyone from outside the UK)

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
The Great British Bake-Off but it’s Picard vs a bunch of Borg

e: still hosted by Noel Fielding

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Absolutely Fabulous but with Troi and Crusher as the two drunken socialites. (Ezri Dax is the Saffron character.)

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

Powered Descent posted:

Absolutely Fabulous but with Troi and Crusher as the two drunken socialites. (Ezri Dax is the Saffron character.)

marina sirtis instead of troi and jonathon frakes instead of crusher and they p. much already did this

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

I know everyone here hates the way Clemens was acted, but I love Time's Arrow. (I'm rewatching TNG and just finished watching it.)

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

8one6 posted:

I know everyone here hates the way Clemens was acted

I rather suspect the opposite is true.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Beachcomber posted:

I rather suspect the opposite is true.

Yeah it was loving great

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

8one6 posted:

I know everyone here hates the way Clemens was acted, but I love Time's Arrow. (I'm rewatching TNG and just finished watching it.)

hah HOO hmmhmm

Cross-Section fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Jan 17, 2020

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Sash! posted:

I'm not sure there are any important environmental impacts from future meat, given the way literally everything else has changed too.

Every other GHG source has been eliminated and they have literal weather machines, so that's not a problem. They can terraform planets too, and combined with other naturally supportive places, there's probably gigantic ranches with herds of cattle living quite naturally getting culled for slaughter by ranchers that live in orbit.

Can they actually terraform planets? I thought that project got canned after most of the scientists were killed and it got turned into a WMD that disrupted the entire international community.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

There are a bunch of terraformed planets in Trek. None of them were done in five minutes from a single torpedo though.

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
That Totoro has an AR-15!

oh but seriously I posted:

marina sirtis instead of troi and jonathon frakes instead of crusher and they p. much already did this

Wait WHAT

8one6
May 20, 2012

Their First Contact commentary.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Insurrection commentary.

They're clearly having a few glasses of wine while they spend the whole thing joking with each other and giving the movie poo poo, it's fantastic.

If CBS wants to sell me All Access do a series where you give them a comfy lounge, an endless supply of wine, and make them watch the ten worst episodes of TNG.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Jan 17, 2020

8one6
May 20, 2012

MikeJF posted:

If CBS wants to sell me All Access do a series where you give them a comfy lounge, an endless supply of wine, and make them watch the ten worst episodes of TNG.

If you're going to do 10, you might as well finish out the first season since that's almost half anyway.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

SlothfulCobra posted:

Can they actually terraform planets? I thought that project got canned after most of the scientists were killed and it got turned into a WMD that disrupted the entire international community.

I never understood the point in terraforming in the Trek universe. M-class planets that require zero work are apparently more than plentiful and scattered all over the place, so why bother wasting all that time and effort? I mean maybe a place like Mars just for vanity and to say you can, but who the hell is living in that society and pining for a decades long project with minimal result?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Grand Fromage posted:

There are a bunch of terraformed planets in Trek. None of them were done in five minutes from a single torpedo though.

One DS9 episode has a terraformer, with a God complex that is apparently considered pretty standard for the profession.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I never understood the point in terraforming in the Trek universe. M-class planets that require zero work are apparently more than plentiful and scattered all over the place, so why bother wasting all that time and effort? I mean maybe a place like Mars just for vanity and to say you can, but who the hell is living in that society and pining for a decades long project with minimal result?

Convenience probably, Mars is right next door and doesn't need warp travel to get to in a reasonable time.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I never understood the point in terraforming in the Trek universe. M-class planets that require zero work are apparently more than plentiful and scattered all over the place,

Yeah but each and every one has a spooky anomaly, like a telepathic plant or a gas that makes you go mad or something

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Yeah but each and every one has a spooky anomaly, like a telepathic plant or a gas that makes you go mad or something

Most of them also tend to have intelligent occupants, too, because you can't spit in the Star Trek galaxy without hitting a sapient humanoid life form.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Big Mean Jerk posted:

To be honest the idea of the Federation terraforming marginal planets in the territory they control makes incredible amounts of sense as a like inspirational, ideological thing. You're bringing life to the universe itself, man! Building potential where it wasn't!