Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Don't tip through the app as companies are very bad about actually paying those out to their employees.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Problem Sleuth
Apr 12, 2011

WELCOME TO THE NEW FUTURE

Smirking_Serpent posted:

AITA for not tipping UberEats drivers if they make me come outside?

For those of you who have ever ordered food via UberEats, you know that there's an option to select "deliver to door" or "pick up outside." The first several times I ordered through UberEats, I selected the "deliver to door" option and tipped the driver through the website/app, but I literally never had a driver bring the food all the way up to my apartment door. They always waited outside the building and called me to come down.

I suspected that they were just being lazy because they knew I had already tipped them, so eventually I decided to try not tipping through the website/app but instead putting a comment in the delivery notes that says, "$3 tip if delivered directly to apartment door." My suspicion proved to be correct because I immediately noticed a dramatic increase in the number of drivers who brought the food up to my apartment. About 50% of them were now doing it, so I kept my word and gave them $3 cash. The other 50% still called me to come down, so I just didn't tip them because clearly they didn't want it bad enough if they weren't willing to go in the building and up the elevator.

Last night my girlfriend was over and we ordered pizza through UberEats. Eventually I got a call from the driver saying he was outside, so I started to leave my apartment, and my girlfriend said, "Don't forget your wallet." I said, "I'm not tipping him because he didn't bring the food all the way up." She said, "That's kind of a dick move."

I completely disagree with her. If I'm ordering food for delivery, it's because I don't want to get dressed and go outside. Making me leave my apartment and go downstairs is the equivalent of delivering to a house but waiting at the end of the driveway so the person has to walk outside to get the food. Additionally, a tip is just that: a tip. Meaning something that is provided for going above and beyond, and refusing to bring the food up is the antithesis of exemplary service. Finally, the note I always include in my orders is very clear. It's not like it's a surprise to these drivers that they aren't getting tipped if they don't want to walk an extra few feet. Thoughts?

gently caress this guy. They don't get the tip until an hour after the delivery is completed. They're not being lazy because you already tipped them, you're just an unreasonable rear end in a top hat

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

Xenocides posted:

The family seems to hate him already and I have a suspicion the wedding funeral was put on that date with specific intent.

Is this what you meant to say? I don't think the funeral family knew about the wedding.

You might be right that the family already doesn't like him, because at least going by the text the OP didn't really do anything wrong, it's just a lovely situation. His girlfriend jumped pretty quickly to anger at him for simply realizing aloud that the two things are on the same day, but she's grieving so who knows where that comes from exactly. He missed an easy good response to her asking whether he'd rather be at a wedding, you're supposed to say you'd rather there were no funeral to go to and move on once you've made it clear that you're going to the funeral.

I don't really think there's a way to go to the wedding that day without being an rear end in a top hat unless the girlfriend wants to go too. It sucks because even if the relationship isn't that serious or doesn't lead to marriage, you can't leave her or the funeral to go to your good friend's wedding. There's even a Curb Your Enthusiasm episode about this.

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

Beachcomber posted:

I'm imaging someone giving a completely innocuous handjob and :roflolmao:

Just give a handjob on the tip

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

That is just terrible random timing with the wedding, mixed with grief emotions. When my dad died a year ago one of my cousins couldn't make it because his fiancee had just lost a relative, and another cousin went to a funeral in the morning for her husband's uncle (...I think, there was a lot of information going on) before driving all day to make it to our evening memorial service. People do what they've gotta do, and we were more focused on being thankful for the ones who made it than hating the ones who couldn't.

Anthony Rapp
Mar 29, 2004
Blame it on Cain, don't blame it on me.
Grimey Drawer

Problem Sleuth posted:

gently caress this guy. They don't get the tip until an hour after the delivery is completed. They're not being lazy because you already tipped them, you're just an unreasonable rear end in a top hat

I'm getting a pretty heavy "I CALMLY explained" vibe from this dude. Like that nerd who threw a fit over McDonalds not having cheese balls or some poo poo.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

MarcusSA posted:

What part of the story makes him an rear end in a top hat?

Immediately blurt out the clashing dates to his grieving girlfriend. Not seeing the clash coming. Thinking there's any chance of going to the wedding if he wants to stay with his gf. Not realising the relationship is already toast, like hell he has a future with his gf when her family are happy to use him as a punching bag.

But yeah the going to the bathroom to post on reddit while his gf has the biggest crying episode yet is tv sitcom level stuff.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Bruceski posted:

That is just terrible random timing with the wedding, mixed with grief emotions. When my dad died a year ago one of my cousins couldn't make it because his fiancee had just lost a relative, and another cousin went to a funeral in the morning for her husband's uncle (...I think, there was a lot of information going on) before driving all day to make it to our evening memorial service. People do what they've gotta do, and we were more focused on being thankful for the ones who made it than hating the ones who couldn't.

Have you considered the possibility that your family is cursed?

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

Knobb Manwich posted:

Immediately blurt out the clashing dates to his grieving girlfriend. Not seeing the clash coming. Thinking there's any chance of going to the wedding if he wants to stay with his gf. Not realising the relationship is already toast, like hell he has a future with his gf when her family are happy to use him as a punching bag.

But yeah the going to the bathroom to post on reddit while his gf has the biggest crying episode yet is tv sitcom level stuff.

None of that is being an rear end in a top hat, it's just being a little young and socially inept.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

therobit posted:

Have you considered the possibility that your family is cursed?

Another cousin's husband's mom died a couple of months later. It was not a good Winter to be around us.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

Sorry dude, I can't be quoting any more of your posts, in case the curse is effective even with people you interact with online.

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

My boyfriend (27m) has a phobia of beans and won't let me (27m) eat them, is he being unreasonable?

quote:

The title says it all really. I've been with my boyfriend for about two years now, and since we got together I've known about his phobia of beans. He explained to me that he can't stand the sight of them, and just seeing them on someone else's plate is enough to make him heave. Because of that, I've never eaten beans while I've been around him.

This week, however, I mentioned offhand that I had a burrito for lunch at work that had beans on it, and that started an argument. He says I knew how he feels about beans, and he thought I knew that he'd have an issue with me eating beans even when I wasn't physically with him, and that in his eyes it's almost like I cheated on him. I'm pretty sure he was mostly joking with the last part but still, he was actually really upset/freaked out when I told him and he's asked me never to eat them again.

I'm just a bit at a loss about what to do. He's not a controlling person, but I feel like telling me I'm outright not allowed to eat something even when he's not there is a bit unreasonable. How do I approach this, do I speak to him, do I concede and not eat them, or do I just eat them in secret?

If you made it this far thank you for reading, I can't believe I even just typed all of this out. Any help would be much appreciated!

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Thinkin bout those beans is now thoughtcrime

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib
I'd rather be single than beanless.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

leggo legumes

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

DemoneeHo posted:

My boyfriend (27m) has a phobia of beans and won't let me (27m) eat them, is he being unreasonable?

I desperately want to know where chickpeas stand for this guy. Are chickpeas allowed, while garbanzo beans are forbidden?

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

DemoneeHo posted:

I am getting strong vegetable rapist vibes here.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

DemoneeHo posted:

r/relationships: My boyfriend has a phobia of beans

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Problem Sleuth posted:

gently caress this guy. They don't get the tip until an hour after the delivery is completed.

What does that matter? Can they not read?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

DemoneeHo posted:

Beans beans the magical fruit they'll make your dumb rear end boyfriend disappear!

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

AITA for deglazing my skillet with white wine when making dinner for an ex-alcoholic?

My husband and I have known Jessica since college (about 10 years), and her husband Tim since they met (about 5 years), so we're really good friends. When they started dating, Tim was still drinking alcohol. He didn't drink it to the point of loving up his life, but he would drink almost every day, and it started to affect his health, so 3 years ago he stopped drinking all together.

Anyway, we all had dinner at our place, and while my husband and I were in the kitchen, putting dishes away and taking out dessert, Jessica came to help us. On the counter, she saw a bottle of white wine, looked a bit confused and asked "didn't you have red wine at dinner?" (Tim told us ages ago that he doesn't mind if we have alcoholic drinks in his company). I said that we did, I just used a bit of white wine to deglaze my skillet while cooking. She immediately started shouting stuff like what the gently caress is the matter with me, putting wine in an alcoholic's dinner.

I said I used the tiniest amount and the heat was so high that the alcohol evaporated. She wouldn't stop shouting, so her husband came to the kitchen as well, and she told him what happened. He seemed confused so I asked him if he'd tasted any alcohol in the dinner, and he said no. Jessica said it doesn't matter that he didn't taste it, it was still there. In the end, they left.

I texted her the next day to say I was sorry, and that I didn't realize it would be such a problem since you can't actually taste it, but that in the future, I won't use wine when cooking. She texted me that her husband felt sick after dinner and she doubts they will be coming over to our place again. That was the last thing she told me. My husband thinks she might be lying about Tim being sick because he thinks we'd already had the same dinner once before, but neither one of us can remember. Regardless of that, we're not sure if it was an rear end in a top hat thing to use wine when cooking for someone who is sober.

Problem Sleuth
Apr 12, 2011

WELCOME TO THE NEW FUTURE

SilvergunSuperman posted:

What does that matter? Can they not read?

I may be mistaken, but I believe that means that uber eats drivers don't know whether they've been tipped until an hour afterwards. Which means the guy's justification of "they're being lazy because they've already been tipped" is not even possible. Personally I think he already believes they're lazy and don't deserve three bucks and is looking for an excuse but who knows, he may just be stupid.

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

This world looks very scary....

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

You know weddings are planned months in advance, unlike funerals, right?

Yes, that was a typo but I could see mom in this scenario putting the funeral where the wedding already was.

In a darker take she timed the poisoning of her husband to try to ruin her daughter’s relationship as a side-benefit but that seems unlikely.

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard
Do you have to tip a stripper you already gave a handjob?

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib

Uncle Enzo posted:

Do you have to tip a stripper you already gave a handjob?

Yeah dude, you need the money when you blow your wad.

ScentOfAnOtaku
Aug 25, 2006

I have no control, I just keep eating, and eating.

Xenocides posted:

In a darker take she timed the poisoning of her husband to try to ruin her daughter’s relationship as a side-benefit but that seems unlikely.

Now you're thinking with gas.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

Smirking_Serpent posted:

AITA for deglazing my skillet with white wine when making dinner for an ex-alcoholic?

My husband and I have known Jessica since college (about 10 years), and her husband Tim since they met (about 5 years), so we're really good friends. When they started dating, Tim was still drinking alcohol. He didn't drink it to the point of loving up his life, but he would drink almost every day, and it started to affect his health, so 3 years ago he stopped drinking all together.

Anyway, we all had dinner at our place, and while my husband and I were in the kitchen, putting dishes away and taking out dessert, Jessica came to help us. On the counter, she saw a bottle of white wine, looked a bit confused and asked "didn't you have red wine at dinner?" (Tim told us ages ago that he doesn't mind if we have alcoholic drinks in his company). I said that we did, I just used a bit of white wine to deglaze my skillet while cooking. She immediately started shouting stuff like what the gently caress is the matter with me, putting wine in an alcoholic's dinner.

I said I used the tiniest amount and the heat was so high that the alcohol evaporated. She wouldn't stop shouting, so her husband came to the kitchen as well, and she told him what happened. He seemed confused so I asked him if he'd tasted any alcohol in the dinner, and he said no. Jessica said it doesn't matter that he didn't taste it, it was still there. In the end, they left.

I texted her the next day to say I was sorry, and that I didn't realize it would be such a problem since you can't actually taste it, but that in the future, I won't use wine when cooking. She texted me that her husband felt sick after dinner and she doubts they will be coming over to our place again. That was the last thing she told me. My husband thinks she might be lying about Tim being sick because he thinks we'd already had the same dinner once before, but neither one of us can remember. Regardless of that, we're not sure if it was an rear end in a top hat thing to use wine when cooking for someone who is sober.

The hell? Pretty sure nice restaurants use wine in cooking too and it doesn’t cause anyone to relapse

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
Ooof, he was the best man too, that makes it even shittier. Having unexpectedly lost my father and having been a bit mad with grief at the time, I still think the gf was a bit overdramatic, and the mom was a bitch, and that they could have had the funeral on Fri or Monday. Then again I have the emotional depth of a teaspooon so what the gently caress do I know

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

goethe.cx posted:

The hell? Pretty sure nice restaurants use wine in cooking too and it doesn’t cause anyone to relapse

Had a similar situation in a restaurant job once. We made our own sauces and put them in liquor bottles with labels taken off because, hey, recycling. Dude threw a big fit about us trying to get him to relapse. The sauce was black and in a vodka bottle.

Some folks just want to start poo poo.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Defiance Industries posted:

Had a similar situation in a restaurant job once. We made our own sauces and put them in liquor bottles with labels taken off because, hey, recycling. Dude threw a big fit about us trying to get him to relapse. The sauce was black and in a vodka bottle.

Some folks just want to start poo poo.

Some people in recovery end up relapsing at the slightest hurdle and someone else feeding you alcohol against your will is like the best possible excuse for "I lost my soberity i might as well enjoy it" after a crazy multi day bender.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

pentyne posted:

Some people in recovery end up relapsing at the slightest hurdle and someone else feeding you alcohol against your will is like the best possible excuse for "I lost my soberity i might as well enjoy it" after a crazy multi day bender.

If seeing a bottle that previously held alcohol used for something else or learning that there was a tiny bit of white wine in a sauce, but not enough to taste sends someone over the edge, they were about to fall off the wagon anyway and looking for an excuse.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

Problem Sleuth posted:

on the one hand - I used to drive for Doordash and they make it pretty clear if you don't go up to the door you're not completing the delivery. You're not supposed to be making people go outside unless you absolutely can't get in.

on the other hand, parking and going to the door in what was mostly apartment buildings or complexes took a crazy amount of time for a job where I just barely made minimum wage and where 95% of the time people don't tip bc they already feel like they're paying a bunch for the delivery fee, and I was a sucker for being as devoted and kind as I was. I should have made more people loving walk for it like all these other drivers have figured out - just get the food out of your hands ASAP so you can take another run and maximize profits. It's not worth it to go 'above and beyond' as a delivery person.

EDIT: also getting a parking ticket vaporizes your profits for the day so it's not worth the risk.

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Jan 17, 2020

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
In the comments it's revealed that wine lady's boyfriend regularly poors himself entire glasses of vanilla extract claiming to love the taste. She hasn't figured out vanilla extract is 35% ABV. He also uses lots of Listerine.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer

goethe.cx posted:

When I lived in Germany, I couldn't enjoy anything with cream in it like cakes or donuts. It all tasted like cleaning fluid to me. It took me a long time to realize there was alcohol in the creams. No one else seemed to notice, but I don't drink, so the taste is very noticable to me apparently.

I have never noticed something tasting like alcohol if it's cooked off.

I hope that a lot of these stories end up with people pulling up out of their spiral of stupidity in the end.

Edit: I wonder how many people trying showing their Reddit threads to the involved parties when they get a NTA ruling.

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib
The ex alcoholic didn't have a problem, the ex alcoholics wife who is trying to keep his poo poo together had the problem.

I can understand that, the whole protective thing, because he's always going to WANT to drink and if my experience of alcoholics is true, any excuse at all can bring about a relapse.

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

ScentOfAnOtaku posted:

I'd say it was a hard decision, all the way up to them acting like assholes about it.

Now I'm wedding all the way.

Yeah I would have told the mom to stop taking her anger out on me and bringing her daughter into it because I’m not “happy” to go to a funeral (...?). And if they acted like assholes about it and still told me to leave I’d assume I’m single at that point. Because there’s no real coming back from the daughter convincing herself that I’m a giant turd for having an “oh no” moment when hearing I get to cancel major year-spanning once in a lifetime plans to go to a funeral.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

cumshitter posted:

In the comments it's revealed that wine lady's boyfriend regularly poors himself entire glasses of vanilla extract claiming to love the taste. She hasn't figured out vanilla extract is 35% ABV. He also uses lots of Listerine.

loving what aaaaaaaa

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

dudeness posted:

I'd rather be single than beanless.

For real this dude is going to die alone

Beachcomber posted:

I desperately want to know where chickpeas stand for this guy. Are chickpeas allowed, while garbanzo beans are forbidden?

lol i badly want to know this answer to this

pentyne posted:

If you're cooking coque au vin or something then yes you'll have a considerable portion of alcohol left over but throwing a teaspoon of wine into a hot pan isn't really going to leave any alcohol behind. If she hadn't made a big deal over it then he wouldn't have even known that alcohol had touched the pan because ultimately there wasn't a detectable amount left in the food, a fact that he even acknowledged

Evil Willow
Apr 26, 2007
Bored now...
AITA for refusing to go to my cousins wedding because she’s making guests pay to enter?

quote:

i’m a 19 year old student, i don’t have a lot of debt, but i can’t be throwing my money around like i’m rich. i have a cousin (26) her wedding is on sunday, we’re not really close, but we do have an okay relationship.

she made an announcement this week saying that she’ll be charging 50 dollars for every guest who’s coming. she said that they can venmo her the money so there won’t be no problems and everyone who paid will be added onto the “exclusive guest list” which basically means you won’t have to wait in line while other guests pay.

once i read this, i was shocked. i responded asking why and she said she wanted to get the money she spent on her special day back. i told her i wouldn’t be able to come because this was outrageous and that i wish her well on her special day. she contacted my aunt and my aunt called me cheap and rude. my parents offered to pay for my entry, but i refused.

now everyone thinks i’m being ridiculous and cheap, AITA?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Does the OP say whether or not there's an open bar? I think that really makes or breaks the $50 entry fee.