Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

kidcoelacanth posted:

First episode of Owl House was neat. I like that Luz isn't stuck in the Boiling Isles but chose to stay of her own volition.

Whoever said it was trying to be Gravity Falls and Star Vs. at the same time was on target. Luz is like Dipper and Mabel fused together. That's fine. I just need more Eda shoved directly into my veins. Every second she's onscreen is what I'm here for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
That first episode of that show was fun. I'll reserve judgement about stronger opinions.

Nestharken
Mar 23, 2006

The bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to make me tame.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Venture Bros is totally canon to Mystery Inc. The Groovy Gang fit in fine!

I've watched both VB and Mystery Inc. several times, and there's plenty of gags from both shows where I honestly can't remember which one they're from without looking it up.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
First episode of Owl House was... fine, decent first episode. Eda is great though, and the show definitely has some potential to grow.

MAN that brought back some memories.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

kidcoelacanth posted:

First episode of Owl House was neat. I like that Luz isn't stuck in the Boiling Isles but chose to stay of her own volition.

Surprised they went with the premise of "teen girl is sent to conversion therapy camp but doesn't and goes to Hell instead" except she's not (specifically) gay, just imaginative. Her mother's a really lovely person.

Good surprised, I mean. Good show.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Waffleman_ posted:

Like, seriously, a lot of H-B characters have more cultural cache for being referenced in 90s and 00s Cartoon Network stuff than their own shows.

To this day, I'm still not convinced the Blue Falcon and Dynomutt actually had a TV show of their own.

I'm pretty sure it was short-lived. A little surprising given the whole concept was 'What if we ripped off Batman and Scooby-Doo at the same time?'

I think the Globetrotters were fairly regular guest stars on Scooby-Doo before getting their own show briefly too. Come to think of it, I'm surprised they aren't part of the extended Shut Up And Jam Gaiden canon.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

New Owl House teaser, looks like it shows off more of the tone of the series:

https://twitter.com/DisneyTVA/status/1216438989919588352

Sneaksie Taffer
Sep 21, 2009

Open Source Idiom posted:

Surprised they went with the premise of "teen girl is sent to conversion therapy camp but doesn't and goes to Hell instead" except she's not (specifically) gay, just imaginative. Her mother's a really lovely person.

Good surprised, I mean. Good show.

There's a bit of a difference between being imaginative and a danger to yourself and others. The three inmates she helped weren't hurting anyone, but she was releasing spiders, snakes, and fireworks in school. Not going to fault a single mom for wanting her daughter to realize her actions are going to get her in trouble.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
And the mom is a nurse. That's hella hard work to also be parenting.

I enjoyed the first episode. Definitely gonna keep checking. I am super interested in Luz's arc, I mean, as pointed out she was also harming others with her actions instead of simply being different, so she probably has to learn the balance there... and she's lying to her mom about where she's at. That feels like something that'll come crashing down hard by the season finale.

Eda is the best.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
Just finished the second season of Infinity Train, and man this show is great.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Jesus, I remember watching Speed Buggy when it was first shown in the UK. (I'm old.)

Also stuff like Goober And The Ghost Chasers, The Buford Files, The Hair Bear Bunch, The CB Bears... I think the BBC must have just bought everything H-B made as it came out and shoved it on as filler in the after-school slot.

Small Strange Bird fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Jan 14, 2020

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy
From one show to the next. Just saw the first EP of Owl House. Now let me tell you why conspiracy head is the best character of the show.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Sneaksie Taffer posted:

There's a bit of a difference between being imaginative and a danger to yourself and others. The three inmates she helped weren't hurting anyone, but she was releasing spiders, snakes, and fireworks in school. Not going to fault a single mom for wanting her daughter to realize her actions are going to get her in trouble.

I dismissed that as cartoonish exaggeration. Metaphorically, you can see where I'm coming from.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

From one show to the next. Just saw the first EP of Owl House. Now let me tell you why conspiracy head is the best character of the show.

I'm like 90% that's the creator of the show, Dana Terrace (both het likeness, and literally her voice).

Case in point, her twitter profile pic:

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy

SomeJazzyRat posted:

I'm like 90% that's the creator of the show, Dana Terrace (both het likeness, and literally her voice).

Well there ya go. The more you know!

*shooting star flys across screen*

The world is a triangle!

Rahonavis
Jan 11, 2012

"Clevuh gurrrl..."

SomeJazzyRat posted:

Speaking of profile pics/avatars, what is yours from Jazzy Rat? I know I’ve seen that before.

And my goodness Infinity Train Book 2 was awesome.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
It's from this artist, Sean ("cheeks") Galloway. Dude whose been working in the industry for several years now, notably as character designer on Spectacular Spiderman and storyboard artist on most of the recent Spider-man cartoons, plus storyboard artist on the mediocre Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes, and a few episodes of this thread's perennial favorite Scooby-Doo: Mystery Inc. (Thank you IMDB)

But I mainly came to know him from a contribution to a Super-Man anthology comic. And thus I took my avatar from one of his Superman artwork.

But yeah, I just think he's a dude who does a perdy drawin'. Dude's internet presence seems to be dying, except for an instagram (ew). Check him out if you'd like.
https://www.instagram.com/seangallowayart/?hl=en

Coatlicue
Sep 14, 2012

it doesn't matter
how fast or how far,
you're still runnin' like a fool
Anybody else watching Kipo on Netflix?
I'm only on episode 4 but its AMAZING.
The animation the music the characters, evrything is so fresh and surprising and funny.

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!

Coatlicue posted:

The animation the music the characters, evrything is so fresh and surprising and funny.

I loving am. I've been loving it. It's super energetic, and a lot of fun.

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

Coatlicue posted:

Yep. It loving owns. Fresh is exactly how I'd describe it, the writing is snappier, on-point and more honest than most cartoons recently, Studio Mir is doing some amazing work with a unique and modern art style and character designs, the soundtrack is really good and as a package there's just very little to complain about. Dreamworks and Netflix hit it out the loving park with this one.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Coatlicue posted:

Yea we binged the whole show last night. It's got such good voice actors - and I was shocked to hear Joan loving Jett - and really good music/themeing.
I don't understand why Netflix isn't pushing it more, we just kinda accidentally stumbled on it.

And I really like the episode names being film/show references. Beyond the Valley of the Dogs and Twin Beaks and etc.

My only issue with the whole thing was when they visited her smashed bunker and it looked like it was only on the surface and really tiny, but it's not? It was proper strange.

Coatlicue
Sep 14, 2012

it doesn't matter
how fast or how far,
you're still runnin' like a fool
Yeah I've never been able to figure out why Netflix does not promote its own content more effectively. This ought to have been a notification for me given the amount of fantasy and animation I watch, but nope, hidden down in the feed.

I had no idea that was Joan Jett doing the voice acting but LOL her delivery was great.

-love the fight and chase scenes with the frogs. I don't know how they get the toungue propulsion to look so organic and menacing at the same time.
- it's interesting how we get tiny scenes from Mandu's point of view. I bet there is a pay-off for this at some point later this season.
-the Timber Cats. So great how the show commits 1000% to their lifestyle. All the little background details of their home, legends, dress, names, sayings, etc. are hilarious and yet fitting. In a lesser show the premise of cats that are also lumberjacks would be out of jokes in 2 minutes, but it Kipo pulls it off flawlessly.

Can't say enough good things about this show.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

The voice actors are great. Her dad is Sterling Brown, Dan Stevens is the villain and etc.

It also ends in a way that says there's definitely more but if that'll happen who loving knows because I can't imagine many people watching it. Barely has any engagement on IMDB too. It just feels like it costs so much money and they've just...left it.

Taear fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Jan 17, 2020

mystes
May 31, 2006

Coatlicue posted:

Yeah I've never been able to figure out why Netflix does not promote its own content more effectively. This ought to have been a notification for me given the amount of fantasy and animation I watch, but nope, hidden down in the feed.
It seems like for some reason it can take a week or two for new shows to start getting promoted, but I'm not sure if this is a bug in their recommendation algorithm or something they do intentionally to see how much organic interest there is in the show before they start promoting it or something.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
If Kipo gets a second season, I'm hoping to see all of her powers manifesting at once. Just going full were-leopard as she tears Scarlemagne's palace apart.

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

Just watched ep 5 of Kipo and holy poo poo I'm pretty sure Mandu literally says "what the gently caress" in pig noises after seeing Kipo's eyes turn back human after they beat the wolf pack lmao. That was literally my reaction too but I actually had to rewind because I couldn't believe they actually put that in. Maybe I'm just hearing things I wanna hear but I swear it matches up almost perfectly. It's subtle enough that I could believe nobody really noticed and they got away with it.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

mystes posted:

It seems like for some reason it can take a week or two for new shows to start getting promoted, but I'm not sure if this is a bug in their recommendation algorithm or something they do intentionally to see how much organic interest there is in the show before they start promoting it or something.

I dunno - I never see any promotion for Dragon Prince or Hilda. (just as some other similar examples)

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Just watched the first episode of Thundercats Roar and people need to chill the gently caress out. It’s not great but it’s not the second coming of Johnny Test either. It’s harmless, if mildly annoying and is actually kind of cute and charming in places (mostly in the art, strangely enough). Mostly it needs to calm the gently caress down and stop expositioning constantly, which hopefully it can do now that everything and everyone are established.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

And it's not like we didn't get the Thundercats show they all wanted a few years ago. It just got cancelled because nobody cared.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Honestly I wouldn't be surprised if in like 10 years we found out that Netflix was a giant money laundering scheme or something, cause that would explain so much about how that company seems to be run...

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
Oh dang, I heard of Kipo a while ago, it just immediately fell off my radar. Cool to know that it's good.

I heard about it from animator Toniko Pantoja, who did some animation/design work on the show. I was turned onto them trying to find out more for a pitch they created called Dream Bandits.

Please note, kinda rough (especially the voice acting), but the imagery is captivating.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lg-MNYQ_HSs

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Solid second installment to Owl House--I admit I did not see a Love Can Bloom reference coming.

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

Ruflux posted:

Just watched ep 5 of Kipo and holy poo poo I'm pretty sure Mandu literally says "what the gently caress" in pig noises after seeing Kipo's eyes turn back human after they beat the wolf pack lmao. That was literally my reaction too but I actually had to rewind because I couldn't believe they actually put that in. Maybe I'm just hearing things I wanna hear but I swear it matches up almost perfectly. It's subtle enough that I could believe nobody really noticed and they got away with it.

That's totally what she said.

Oh God, I just got the Carl Sagan reference in that same episode.

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

I massively enjoyed Kipo and am really hoping they already have 20ish eps in the can and are just waiting to drop the second set... otherwise it's going to be a long wait for season two.

Something I love about the Kipo is that they invest in the characters, critters, concepts, etc that are shown and make use of them throughout the series. The Megabunnies could have been a single throwaway joke in episode one, but they turn up a number of times throughout. Same with the Mod Frogs, etc. The show feels invested in its world and its storytelling, weaving everything together episode to episode. They make good use of their 22 minute episode -- managing to both be pretty dense, but also able to take moments to breath here and there and not always be in a rush.

It's also not afraid to get *dark* at times... (ep9/Wolf's backstory) Wolf's "mom" raising her to be "prey" for the pack was pretty bleak. Pretty sure the wolfskin she's wearing is "mom" -- yow.

For folks on the fence, a short clip regarding Megabunnies from episode one...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-aXNlAEUo8

Youtube Playlist "Season One Mixtape" has soundtrack goodness:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLnoIi4YKKKd8r8VM6WPHRV5DBlEg58Y-9

Quinton fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Jan 18, 2020

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
Kipo was a great watch. Scratched a lot of ATLA season one itches. I hope we get the next batch of episodes very soon.

Re: Scarlemagne, what a delightful villain. He's Dr. Zaius without any kind of moral compass. They tease out just enough of his backstory to make you both sympathize and hate him. His plans also work pretty well, with believable successes and failures. More, please!

I think the biggest laugh was Benson and his newfound love at first sight with the bishie bubbles and music going on. The fact that it was mutual made it even funnier.

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

I wish Kipo had been post-apocalyptic humans vs giant monsters and not an animal-people show. Really couldn’t get into it after the frogs showed up, which is a shame because the art direction and colors are beautiful and the music was great.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Kipo is loving fantastic.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Regarding Kipo.

It's about a young kid going out into the wilderness and befriending odd traveling companions and a bunch of animal monsters, all so at the end she can meet someone called Professor Oak.

The show's Pokemon, except the animals are the ones who want to collect'em all.

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Jan 19, 2020

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Everyone go watch Kipo! It's really good.

By episode 3, I like the characters, the crazy world, the chill music, the voicecast and the pretty animations.
and I just love how positive Kipo herself is.

EDIT: And... Finished. Good show.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Jan 19, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Watched both seasons of Infinity Train over the past couple days and god drat that’s a fantastic show.

Also started watching Kipo because of this thread and that’s very fun