Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit
Peter Stormare in Constantine will always have my vote when it comes to Satan lists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
I saw Angel Heart for the first time just a few weeks ago. I know it's generally well regarded but I just don't think I like Mickey Rourke in anything but The Wrestler. He's really distracting to me.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Gotta pitch it to Jack Nicholson for showing Satan's more domestic side.

Special mention: Dave Grohl.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Drunkboxer posted:

I saw Angel Heart for the first time just a few weeks ago. I know it's generally well regarded but I just don't think I like Mickey Rourke in anything but The Wrestler. He's really distracting to me.

I like young Rourke, he’s so clearly doing a young Brando in all his stuff, it’s awesome. I really dig him in Pope of Greenwich Village and Year of the Dragon.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Angel Heart has some really nice atmosphere to it as well. The movie is good, I liked it, but all you ever hear about is De Niro. Or if you're discussing great De Niro performances someone will inevitably say "if you want a great De Niro performance that's different from all the other ones, watch Angel Heart", but I was underwhelmed.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Pretty sure Vincent Price and Christopher Lee have both played Satan as well

Permotriassic
May 29, 2007

Feed me and tell me I'm pretty
It's absolutely not horror per se, but I'm gonna throw a solid vote in for Ray Wise in the show Reaper. Dude is just incredibly smooth and is having the best time that a hell spawn can have.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Hollismason posted:

Pretty sure Vincent Price and Christopher Lee have both played Satan as well

I honestly don't think so. Occultists and High Priests, yeah, but not the Big Man himself.

My favorite Satans are Victor Buono in The Evil and Robert Picardo in 976-Evil.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

M_Sinistrari posted:

Robert Picardo in 976-Evil.

I guess I need to see 976-EVIL now

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Moffat's Dracula

So I was going to write this whole big thing about episode 2 like I did for 1

Then I got a chance to see 3 and did so. What a loving disappointment. Like before I saw 3, I had so many things to say about 2. Now having seen 3...what is the point? I just, I can't even care now. 3 didn't even have the common courtesy to be hot goofy rear end silly poo poo. It has one really good bad moment, and then the entire rest of the episode is loving nothing and they do nothing with it. It's such a deflating thing that I can't even criticize the second episode and get upset about the first anymore. They're both pretty lovely, but 3 I had high hopes for being Hot Garbage.

Instead it's just Moffat Moffating as hard as Moffat can Moffat. It's also one of the least gay Dracula tellings ever, which is pretty impressive. What tepid trash this is, listen to the music it makes.

What really says it all is this. This is how much moffat cares about his own story.

Episode 1: Vampires cannot kill themselves or be accidentally killed. They must be killed by some one else.

Episode 3: This is still true, but Dracula kills himself.

The only thing of note is that the whole mess comes off as Moffat's lovely fanfiction of the Hammer Dracula series, only nowhere near as good. And that's saying something when most of those films are such travesties that Christopher Lee refused to speak in one!

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
I always forget Jessica Harper is in Phantom of the Paradise and I can't help but smile when she shows up.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Iron Crowned posted:

I guess I need to see 976-EVIL now

It’s a solid freshman directorial effort from Robert Englund. The overtly satanic stuff used to freak me out as a little kid, and the poker scene is still pretty good.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
I always liked Mark Pellegrino in Supernatural as Lucifer. Dude is creepily weird, evil, but at the same time he's got a playful personality and somehow can still come across as a decent guy considering he's the epitome of evil incarnate.

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit
There's a Color out of Space movie with Nic Cage and they're doing Dunwitch Horror ? How did I not see anything about this until now :dance:

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

I always liked Mark Pellegrino in Supernatural as Lucifer. Dude is creepily weird, evil, but at the same time he's got a playful personality and somehow can still come across as a decent guy considering he's the epitome of evil incarnate.

He's fine but imo he kinda gets overshadowed by Death. The guy who plays Death was so good, he was really the one that I would always hope might show up every time the Winchesters got into a jam.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

ZZZorcerer posted:

There's a Color out of Space movie with Nic Cage and they're doing Dunwitch Horror ? How did I not see anything about this until now :dance:

I posted about it a couple days ago, it’s fun. If you’re a Nic Cage fan it’s got some top-tier scenery chewing from him

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

The best Satan is John Glover in Brimstone. That show is maybe 10% horror but holy moly was he born to play that role.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWIf3y_oo6Y

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Jan 18, 2020

doctorthefonz
Nov 17, 2007

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Seconded

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Thirded

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I like when the devil showed up as a pair of big sexy lips in Wes Craven’s Shocker.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7xDP5TkmIM

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

https://twitter.com/AllyiahsFace/status/1217951264392257536

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Well, looks like we're getting a new entry to the Demons franchise.

https://www.dreadcentral.com/news/316785/demons-director-star-reteam-for-new-film-closely-tied-to-original/

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Burkion posted:

Moffat's Dracula

Yessss Dracula claims another

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I hope they call it Demons 3.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

ruddiger posted:

I hope they call it Demons 3.

I hope they count all the semi-official ones and call it Demons 8.

So far we have:

Demons
Demons 2
Demons 3 (The Ogre, The Church, and a couple of other flicks)
Demons 4 (The Sect)
Demons 5 (Mask of the Demon)
Demons 6: De Profundis (aka The Black Cat)
Demons 7: Inferno (aka Dark Tower)

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Andrew Divoff played Mephistopheles once, he should at least be in consideration.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
My Horror Movie Satan is Clarence Williams III

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Andrew Divoff played Mephistopheles once, he should at least be in consideration.

I'd argue that the djinn in Wishmaster should count, since they were also called Shaitan, which is close enough. Plus it's a good movie and he's good in it.

Kinda poo poo about answering his emails though.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

TheBizzness posted:

My Horror Movie Satan is Clarence Williams III

His unhinged rant about "The poo poo" is an all-time classic performance. Seconding this.

Also bought The Lighthouse on a whim. What an uncomfortable movie. I love it. It's like the most tense movie ever. Also great tension breaker with the
"Your god drat farting!" rant.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Hell yeah Frank Welker the best cinematic Satan.

SecretOfSteel
Apr 29, 2007

The secret of steel has always
carried with it a mystery.

As for best Satan, how about that childrens claymation where Satan just casually pops up for a chat with a couple of kids (as you do). Well, if not the best then surely the most unexpected...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4pKFaF41mk

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

SecretOfSteel posted:

As for best Satan, how about that childrens claymation where Satan just casually pops up for a chat with a couple of kids (as you do). Well, if not the best then surely the most unexpected...

i think this wasn't heaaaaps a childrens animation but yeah. top ten satan depiction

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets

SecretOfSteel posted:

Satan's nephew! :eng101:

That whole sequence is still great though.

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Can I ask ya somethin', Padre? When I was kickin' your ass back there... you get a little wood?

Permotriassic posted:

It's absolutely not horror per se, but I'm gonna throw a solid vote in for Ray Wise in the show Reaper. Dude is just incredibly smooth and is having the best time that a hell spawn can have.

Ray Wise was easily the best thing about that show, even when the rest of it started going to poo poo. Loved how he could go from affable to sinister on a dime.

HeavingGirth
Oct 6, 2014

I saw a friend recently post about a movie called VelociPastor on prime and I think I need to give that a go for stupid name alone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Nyb0GqAjKM Here's a trailer at least.

I'm hoping to catch up on some movies in general this weekend, hoping for that Universal Soldier referenced a few pages back, Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, and VelociPastor.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Does Hy Pike count as a Devil? I mean, his son is

THE DEVIL'S SON! dun dunna dunnah, dun dunna dunnah...

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Alehkhs posted:

Satan's nephew! :eng101:

That whole sequence is still great though.

If Satan's relatives count than this discussion is already over:

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
yeah Satan's relatives count for sure, I just want the devil portrayed as a tempter or manipulator more than a pitchfork and horns type of fellow. The Lucifer comic books are some of my favorite media ever. Thanks for all the suggestions everyone!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
My favorite devil-adjacent-type-character is Clancy Brown as the preacher in Carnivàle

gently caress what a great show, everybody go watch it