Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

I hope FF7R doesn't evoke the same feelings I had playing the original, because I was in college and like, "fun combat but this story is incomprehensible and nowhere near as good as FF6"

I want them to do something new with it! I've played the original, and found it to be meh. Bring on the batshit insanity!

(also, FFXII's soundtrack is so good that I've played it in place of other games' music)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
FFXV has your pals Noctis, Gladio, Ignis, Prompto, Aranea and Lunafreya fight evil, with the help of... Jared and Dave.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

seiferguy posted:

FFXV has your pals Noctis, Gladio, Ignis, Prompto, Aranea and Lunafreya fight evil, with the help of... Jared and Dave.

I know people like to make fun of this, but I think it was intentional to show a division between upper class people from royal society versus commoners. There's also always matters of different nationalities and such. In our boring real world lameness, I'm still in a working environment where a boring white guy named Chris is working with someone named Aristocratis Fotakis.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Schwartzcough posted:

I know people like to make fun of this, but I think it was intentional to show a division between upper class people from royal society versus commoners. There's also always matters of different nationalities and such. In our boring real world lameness, I'm still in a working environment where a boring white guy named Chris is working with someone named Aristocratis Fotakis.

Prompto is literally defined by being common born so it isn't that

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
If you liked FF6 so much, why didn't you buy it back then?

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Luceo posted:

I hope FF7R doesn't evoke the same feelings I had playing the original, because I was in college and like, "fun combat but this story is incomprehensible and nowhere near as good as FF6"

Neither half of this statement are true.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

I can't believe someone would lie about going to college.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
This is the only college I need.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=foto7Wnefuw

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

TommyGun85 posted:

I always renamed Zidane to Ronaldo.

Lol

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

seiferguy posted:

I mentioned this earlier but I truly think FFXV was probably saved from some awful poo poo where Noctis and Gladiolus were the names everyone called them all the time. Theyw ere treated 100% seriously.

As it is, we have Noct and Noct Gar. I love that the bros call Gladiolus Gladio and his sister calls him Gladdy. It makes them and the story feel so much more organic and believable and makes them feel like real people. It wouldnt' be the same game at all if everyone actually called Him Noctis. They don't even call her Lunafreya much, just Luna. It's a small but essential piece for why FFXV works.

In any event, I'm finally wrapping up the last few sidequests and things I care about before heading to Altissia. Level 56.

I'm furious though because I had a shameful display against two Red Giants in this Castle dungeon that only opens at night. Dino led me there and it appears to be a Royal Tomb.But the key Cor gave me - the key he said would open all the tombs - doesn't let me in. And the game's helpful advice was "huh, a key must be needed." So I'll just look around the entire world for a key. I'm sure it'll turn up.

I've been very happy with FFXV's quest design so far. Finding things is bullshit but in terms of leading you places to get stuff I haven't needed a guide really. But here? I have no idea. Am I supposed to just drive around and hope something happens?

Similarly, Sania has vanished so I have no idea how to complete her questline. I did the Wyvern quest for her and now she's gone.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

This is art.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

NikkolasKing posted:

I've been very happy with FFXV's quest design so far. Finding things is bullshit but in terms of leading you places to get stuff I haven't needed a guide really. But here? I have no idea. Am I supposed to just drive around and hope something happens?

Similarly, Sania has vanished so I have no idea how to complete her questline. I did the Wyvern quest for her and now she's gone.

Not sure about the after Wyvern quest, you may not be able to go where she is yet. But the key needed for Costlemark Tower is postgame, and it's not the only place.

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

I did too go to college. :colbert:

Gologle posted:

If you liked FF6 so much, why didn't you buy it back then?

I, er, did?

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Feel free to ignore most things Gologle posts.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

seiferguy posted:

I loved how in Last Remnant, the hero keeps calling Lord David "Dave".

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

MonsieurChoc posted:

I loved how in Last Remnant, the hero keeps calling Lord David "Dave".

yo dave that was ace

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

This rules.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

AngryRobotsInc posted:

Not sure about the after Wyvern quest, you may not be able to go where she is yet. But the key needed for Costlemark Tower is postgame, and it's not the only place.

Yeah I think I found another one way earlier but I figured it was a bug. It was in that place behind the waterfall the kid sent us to earlier and I already got a Royal Arm from. I went there for a Hunt and found myself back at the end of the dungeon and the door was locked now. I dunno, maybe that's unrelated.

All I know is I have now fought so many Red Giants and done this cube puzzle so many times without actually getting anywhere that my brain is mush. Also in my last attempt the gane randomly teleported me out of the dungeon. I was fighting monsters in the block maze part and suddenly the screen goes white and I'm outside.

At that point I just turned the game off. This is the worst dungeon in the whole game by a million miles. It's done a heavy blow to my enthusiasm for the game to the point I'm tempted to just continue with plot and skip over looking for more bro moments at the various resting areas. I've gotten two with Gladio (racing and Liege of the Lake) and two with Prompto (talk with him at the hotel and striking a pose at the beach) and only one with Ignis (helping cook at camp).

I wanted to find more but after hours of this repetitive garbage, I dunno if I feel like it.

I probably will feel like it once I actually finish this awful dungeon.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 10:39 on Jan 18, 2020

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

This is insane(ly awesome).

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Wth 4 hours? You could load 7 battles in ff9 in that time

Mega64
May 23, 2008

The Gologle post is a reference to something, I forget what though.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
It's a comment Hironobu Sakaguchi made in response to a line somewhere in an interview that stated that for many players FF6 is their favorite game. I love it so much that I go out of my way to quote it, even though I lost the interview a while ago.

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013
did FF6 not have good sales?

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

TommyGun85 posted:

did FF6 not have good sales?
It had fine sales in Japan - in the west, it did middling numbers (by 2003, compare 2.62 million units domestic to 860,000 abroad), so Sakaguchi is always surprised to hear/see American fans talk about how much they love it.

Hogama fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Jan 18, 2020

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
Not watching anything that's 4.5 hours long but it started out strong

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Also Snes FF6 wasn't even released in Europe, so those "west" sales numbers are just North America

We finally got the garbage PSX port in 2002, a cool 2½ years after the US release

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

FF6 is the best in all categories of the pre-3D final fantasies (except for the combat system, FF5 has it beat but I think I'm biased because of Fiesta). Of the PS2 FFs, FFX is the best. I hated FF9 combat, FF8 is a beautiful mess, and FF7 is too much of a meme at this point for me.

FF14 is the best FF of all the FFs, though. Hell, Shadowbringers alone is the best FF (and my personal favorite RPG ever).

Nothing will beat Final Fantasy Tactics for me. But since it's not a part of the main series, it's just a beautiful one-shot for me.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So this is a bit random, inspired by listening to FFIX music in FFXV. They included Ipsen's Castle in the track selection and that has always been my favorite version of "A Place to Call Home" I was told many years ago these are "motifs" - songs that use the same basic melody or whatever the technical term is.

There are, to my memory, six motifs:
A Place to Call Home - Start up screen theme
Oeilvert
Chamber of a Thousand Faces - Theme for all the faces in Oeilvert telling us about Terra's history
Ipsen's Castle
The Four Mirrors - Plays when planning how to get to Terra
Terra

I might be missing one but not sure.

Anyway, just curious which is everyone's favorite? I might have to change my vote to Terra. Always forget how absolutely perfect it is in its beauty and tragedy and mystery and everything for setting the tone.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Veib posted:

Also Snes FF6 wasn't even released in Europe, so those "west" sales numbers are just North America

We finally got the garbage PSX port in 2002, a cool 2½ years after the US release

My crazy rear end friend IRL who loves the franchise and has played most for some reason has never got around to FF6 and doesn't get it. I don't legit press the dude because for some reason he gets in a right strop, like I am questioning his fan status for not ever having the chance to play it?

It is a legit black hole for some due to the console and time gap.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

SeanBeansShako posted:

My crazy rear end friend IRL who loves the franchise and has played most for some reason has never got around to FF6 and doesn't get it. I don't legit press the dude because for some reason he gets in a right strop, like I am questioning his fan status for not ever having the chance to play it?

It is a legit black hole for some due to the console and time gap.

It’s okay to like bad things but I legit don’t get playing 2 or 3 and not 6.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
I cannot remember if it was on the same disc set he bought or not back then.

I did suggest it to him to get on the PSNetwork but the 3D sprites ugh.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

FF is easily one of my favourite series but I still haven't played 5 or 6

I think I was really hoping for remakes of both of them back when 3/4 DS came out (that was my first time playing IV and I loved it) but I guess they went the mobile port route instead

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
There's no wrong way...

*eats Reese's peanut butter cup*

...fa pway Fimuh Fannafee.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

NikkolasKing posted:

So this is a bit random, inspired by listening to FFIX music in FFXV. They included Ipsen's Castle in the track selection and that has always been my favorite version of "A Place to Call Home" I was told many years ago these are "motifs" - songs that use the same basic melody or whatever the technical term is.

Oeilvert
Chamber of a Thousand Faces - Theme for all the faces in Oeilvert telling us about Terra's history
Ipsen's Castle
Terra

Anyway, just curious which is everyone's favorite? I might have to change my vote to Terra. Always forget how absolutely perfect it is in its beauty and tragedy and mystery and everything for setting the tone.

There's also Rose of May, which is my favorite but I also love Terra.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

NikkolasKing posted:

Oeilvert
Ipsen's Castle
Terra

It works even better because, besides the title screen, they all play at places revolving around Terra, since Oeilvert and Ipsen's Castle were places at Terra that popped up after Gaia accidentally ate Terra due to the Terra people's incompetence.

Thus they put Garland in charge and his solution was to make a bunch of Gokus until things worked out somehow. And I guess they did, so success!

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Also it's official that if you haven't played FF6, you're not a true FF fan.

Tell your friend that he can have his FF cred back if he can write 500 words on the key gameplay differences between Terra and Celes.

Or 500 words on erotic Sabin/Cyan fanfiction, I'll accept either.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Help Im Alive posted:

FF is easily one of my favourite series but I still haven't played 5 or 6

I think I was really hoping for remakes of both of them back when 3/4 DS came out (that was my first time playing IV and I loved it) but I guess they went the mobile port route instead

This summer play a fiesta for FFV. V without fiesta can either become pure decision paralysis or a cake walk. Too many jobs and the right combos break the game wide open. In my opinion, it's as breakable as VIII but just harder to figure out blind.

Fiesta helps both issues by giving you only four jobs to use. Also it's fun.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

It took me a long time to play FFVI and even longer to actually be bothered beating it. The hype put me off for a long time, much like the Nu Persona hype. And in all these cases, I was wrong to be so skeptical about the universal love and adoration these games receive. FFVI deserves all its praises.

Of course it's so braindead easy i needed Brave New World to motivate me through it but ya know that's just my brainworms. Granted, I think everyone finds FFVI one of the most simplistic and easy games in the series. The "everyone can do everything" trend started here and it's a bad trend that does not stand the test of time.

In FFXV news, just got to Chapter 12. They really need to drop this chapter scheme for FFXVI. It's FFXIII so let's have 13 chapters. It's FFXV so let's have 15 chapters. Sure Chapter 11 is thirty minutes long but ya know, we need fifteen chapters goddammit.

I said it before but this game really deserves a sequel or at least a prequel. There's so much to do with this world and the game absolutely leaves you wanting more.

I've head all the bad things about the Ardyn DLC and the books but why did they cancel the new DLC? FFXV is the second best selling FF ever not counting reeleases. It was obviously a huge commercial success. So why are they releasing mobile versions and Pocket Editions but no more story DLC? I can't believe it was to preserve the integrity of the plot. I mean, that is a nice thought, but I doubt it.

No spoilers please as I know nothing of the Ardyn, Gladio or Ignis DLC. Those are areas in the story I'm completely in the dark about. I barely even remember anything after Altissia.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 11:04 on Jan 19, 2020

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Ive only beaten FF6 as Awful Fantasy, because I find actual FF6 pretty boring

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
I love ff6 but my clearest memory of it was when I was a freshman high schooler and arguing with a senior about it being called ff6 vs ff3