Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
My dealer just mailed me one of those "we'd love to put you in a brand NEW M2" with a trade in offer of $41,047 on my 2019 :thumbsup:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flightless greeb
Jan 28, 2016

My uncle was actually the guy those offers worked on I think. He was in and out of a new BMW every 2-3 years, always bought, never leased. Will still never forgive him for trading in one of only 200 1Ms in Canada.

And I actually did test drive a GTI and measure it for cargo space and getting a ladder in there would be a real nightmare on the regular. I'll check out the IS300 though. And yeah the E46 Touring really is unattractive, same with the E60 Touring :(

An E91 is an idea, I used to have an E90 335i and I loved it but maybe weirdly I kind of want to buy a different platform than the one I already owned? Like I only have a finite number of cars I can experience owning in life so it seems a little silly to buy the same one twice? Idk maybe that's idiotic, altho it's also why I'm ignoring Audi B8 avants and all roads.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
i can't condone an E39 as a daily. i daily mine in the summer, but i work from home so it sees maaaaybe 4,000 miles a year. it is expensive, and it's a 20 year old car so poo poo is constantly just breaking or worn out needing replacement. it's a great car but not one on which to depend.

flightless greeb
Jan 28, 2016

Yeah I kinda feared that would be the answer. I shoulda bought one like 7 years ago when I last test drove one.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
as someone who daily drove an e30 for 10 or so years - it helps to have more than one, but you'll always be working on something

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

flightless greeb posted:

Yeah I kinda feared that would be the answer. I shoulda bought one like 7 years ago when I last test drove one.

in fairness mine is a m/// so a bunch of poo poo is probably both more expensive and worse to repair, but other than loving a wheel up really bad i don't think i've had any m/////////////////// specific poo poo break

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

Legit suggestion: Cadillac CTS wagon. RWD (edit: apparently there’s also an AWD model), dirt cheap, there’s even non-V unicorns out there that got Recaros, miles of space with the rear seats down. The hi-feature GM 3.6 V6 likes to rev and makes close? to 300hp and ought to be way faster and more agile than a e39. Srsly.

I think downsides include okayish GM interior (ps there’s different trim levels but I don’t know what they are), I think the V6 at one point may have been known for eating timing chains but I don’t know if the CTS wagons were afflicted by that.

FWIW I liked my -V wagon and not just for the power.

Edit: looks like there’s a “base” 3.0 V6 too. Ymmv. I think 2010-2014 are the years to look for. https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/a16580646/2010-cadillac-cts-sport-wagon-36-road-test-review/

Tremek fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Jan 17, 2020

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

do not buy the 3.0 v6, but i think it's a good idea provided you can stand the kind of chintzy GM-trying-and-failing-to-conceptualize-luxury interior

volvo wagon might be an option, the V70R was pretty good but they have some serious known issues.

flightless greeb
Jan 28, 2016

There's one of those for sale on my local Craigslist, guy wants $16k for it with 108k miles and the trunk won't stay open. Weirdly there's 3 different CTS-V wagons up for sale but definitely out of my price range.

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/cto/d/san-francisco-2010-cadillac-cts-36l/7047074902.html

I did have an '08 G8 GT and I did hate the interior lol

AND I found an' 06 V70R that needs a bit of work for 8k but everyone in the Volvo thread is saying I'd spend that much in maintenance a year so I'm thoroughly frightened off

flightless greeb fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Jan 17, 2020

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Lightbulb Out posted:

as someone who daily drove an e30 for 10 or so years - it helps to have more than one, but you'll always be working on something

i have yet to own a bmw that this didn't apply to :v:

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

Even more fun moneypit ideas:

- E60 535ix wagon, I think MeatPimp has one of these with boost turned up and it’s only broken like half the time,
- Ditch the S4 for a S4 Avant because S4 sedans are basically A4s
- Seconding the V70R because angle gears for for sissies
- W212 E350 wagon because they’re not exciting but are nice cars and I miss my e63s :/

Let’s wax philosophical for a moment: what really is a wagon anyway?

Along those lines,

- E70 X5M: if you’re going to go down the out of warranty rabbit hole and need hauling space, this is a great choice. They’re rocketships. Put the ladder through the rear hatch glass with launch control and impress your neighbors. I liked ours
- Cayenne Turbo: see above

Lower the last two (a lot) and it could be argued they’re very fast wagons.

Edit: I too had a G8 GXP and the VE Commodore interiors (Zeta platform I think?) don’t share anything with the 2nd gen CTS interior.

Tremek fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Jan 17, 2020

flightless greeb
Jan 28, 2016

I really hate the way the E60 looks and if they sold S4 Avants in the US I'd have one. Can't hack it with the crossovers sorry :(

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

flightless greeb posted:

I really hate the way the E60 looks and if they sold S4 Avants in the US I'd have one. Can't hack it with the crossovers sorry :(

What is a wagon if not a lowered crossover I ask you???

They did sell S4 Avants here silly, my neighbor has one

https://www.cars.com/for-sale/searc...rt=price-lowest

Hell since we’re going down the road of truly awful ideas, manual W8 Passat wagon

Oooooh ooooh since you obviously love the VAG, 2010 A6 3.0T (supercharged) wagon. They’re rare but very nice

Tremek fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Jan 17, 2020

flightless greeb
Jan 28, 2016

I meant B8 since im scared of the timing chain tensioner issues on the B7. A 2010 A6 wagon would rule tho lol

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

BlackMK4 posted:

i have yet to own a bmw that this didn't apply to :v:

it wasn't even a bad thing per se - they're just old and if you have any sort of budget it becomes triage. i only had a couple tows over a lot of miles over that time.

I found it best to always keep them fixed but then i had too many and thats a different story

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
I watched a 'Top 100 car crashes of the decade' youtube the other day and all those "tall station wagons" (and other so-called safe options like SUVs and pickups) roll over at the slightest provocation while nearly every sedan/normal car-based vehicle featured in this compilation doesn't roll over no matter what happens to it. It's insane that wagons got phased out in this country only, while they are commonplace and desirable in Europe etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKFyUXXfLkY

(these are mostly minor collisions/weird fuckups and not serious injury situations)

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Passat wagon maybe? it's not really reliable but it's not worse than anything that is being suggested.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Wagons rule, I got my Dads e46 touring in the fall and I love it. I will forever hate cross-over/SUVs for taking the venerable wagon away from us.

flightless greeb
Jan 28, 2016

In all honesty I'm probably going to wuss out and get a like 2018-19 Golf Sportwagen like I was originally thinking for the 6yr warranty since being stranded by my work vehicle, while funny, is less than perfectly ideal

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

its a good car op but its not very big

flightless greeb
Jan 28, 2016

I measured it out at one point and it should still work if I maybe downsize the pelican

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Tremek posted:

Lining the pockets of an independent mechanic, or decomposing in the driveway/garage/street 50% of the time?

Wasn't the E39 540i like one of AI's Sweetheart Cars for a while there? I thought those were pmuch the most reliable modernish BMW outside of a 3 year lease on a new one

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

it's reliable in that poo poo doesn't really fail on it, but on the other hand it's 20 years old so stuff just requires replacement and a heavy dose of preventative maintenance

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

NumbersMatching320 posted:

Wasn't the E39 540i like one of AI's Sweetheart Cars for a while there? I thought those were pmuch the most reliable modernish BMW outside of a 3 year lease on a new one

I think e39 attrition has been pretty harsh. I only see a handful of them around these days.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Tremek posted:

Even more fun moneypit ideas:

- E60 535ix wagon, I think MeatPimp has one of these with boost turned up and it’s only broken like half the time,

Sweet christ, that was gone in April and I still have PTSD about it. The motor is beautiful, but needy. The rest of the car was a basket case, and it wasn't just mine, it seems endemic in the entire E6x line, and the wagons have some extra gotchas.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

meatpimp posted:

Sweet christ, that was gone in April and I still have PTSD about it. The motor is beautiful, but needy. The rest of the car was a basket case, and it wasn't just mine, it seems endemic in the entire E6x line, and the wagons have some extra gotchas.

Welp, thanks. There was a local one a few months back I was considering.

Are there any 2-3 year old, non-basket case wagons around these days? Mercedes maybe?

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

flightless greeb posted:

In all honesty I'm probably going to wuss out and get a like 2018-19 Golf Sportwagen like I was originally thinking for the 6yr warranty since being stranded by my work vehicle, while funny, is less than perfectly ideal

The awd sportwagen can be had for really good prices. Or they could a couple years ago anyway. I'm sure the years with the good warranty will be a bit higher in price.

flightless greeb
Jan 28, 2016

Yeah the warranty and LEDs all around is 18-19 so that's what I'm looking for. They were all over end of last year but it looks like VW managed to get rid of all of them since there are none for sale locally anymore.

Might end up buying a two year old used one and having it shipped in or something.

As far as non basket cases there's the F31 wagon, which is my stretch goal if I can talk a dealer down a few thousand from multiple states away (lol yea right). You can get a really nice M Sport for like 27k from 2016 or a regular one for like 23-25 or so. Apparently the N20 motor has potential timing chain issues before mid 2015 so I'm avoiding the earliest ones.

hitze
Aug 28, 2007
Give me a dollar. No, the twenty. This is gonna blow your mind...

gently caress it dude, I daily a E39 540i wagon :patriot:

User Error
Aug 31, 2006
My e36 M3 is my backup car for when the e30 is broken, works out great.

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

I bought my mom a ‘17 CPO SportWagen in May and it’s pretty beige.

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

User Error posted:

My e36 M3 is my backup car for when the e30 is broken, works out great.

My E36 M3 is the backup car for our E91 and Honda.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.
[quote="ThirstyBuck" post="""]
[...]backup car [...] and Honda.
[/quote]

So your e36 is just a summer weekend fun car right?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

flightless greeb posted:

Yeah the warranty and LEDs all around is 18-19 so that's what I'm looking for. They were all over end of last year but it looks like VW managed to get rid of all of them since there are none for sale locally anymore.

Might end up buying a two year old used one and having it shipped in or something.

As far as non basket cases there's the F31 wagon, which is my stretch goal if I can talk a dealer down a few thousand from multiple states away (lol yea right). You can get a really nice M Sport for like 27k from 2016 or a regular one for like 23-25 or so. Apparently the N20 motor has potential timing chain issues before mid 2015 so I'm avoiding the earliest ones.

Does the track package/sport package make the steering better? The poverty spec Rental 320 I had in South Africa felt soulless.

Modus Man
Jun 8, 2004

Soiled Meat

Residency Evil posted:

Welp, thanks. There was a local one a few months back I was considering.

Are there any 2-3 year old, non-basket case wagons around these days? Mercedes maybe?

I have been eyeballin 2014+ Mercedes E350 wagons. Look for the ones with the sport package, they ride about an inch lower, and look for the one with the amg appearance package. Very good looking family hauler. I have no idea about reliability or running costs but the higher mileage ones are dropping down to into the $20k-$25k range recently.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

My dealer just mailed me one of those "we'd love to put you in a brand NEW M2" with a trade in offer of $41,047 on my 2019 :thumbsup:

Lol they're just trying to clear stock of the '20s because they know that anyone truly in the market for one of those cars knows that allocations are closed for standard comp pack f87s and given how bad the new 2 looks and no M has been formally announced, to my knowledge, anyone who has the money and has any intention of buying one instead of waiting for CS'es that will be produced on the M3/4 CS line starting in March through the end of the year has already purchased.

I do lust for the CS seats though...Vader stripe. And while I don't care for the alcantra, doing away with the center console storage and that stupid sliding door, moving the USB outboard to where its not in the way....MMmmmm I'll be in my bunk and hoping to find one being parted out this summer.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

flightless greeb posted:

do not get the sunroof on the alltrack. also i don't think the manual AWD sportwagen came with LEDs in the front. for DRLs yes, for main bulbs no.

flightless greeb
Jan 28, 2016

Residency Evil posted:

Does the track package/sport package make the steering better? The poverty spec Rental 320 I had in South Africa felt soulless.

I think the M Sport pack is just an appearance thing, some different trim and a nicer steering wheel (why I want it). There is a suspension upgrade you can find but it's exceedingly rare. I think I've only seen two cars equipped with it and I've been looking at them since September.

Re VW yeah I know to stay away from sunroofs and I think I found a website that sells replica Golf R LEDs which would be cool.

Interesting about the 2014 MBs. The only ones I was able to find in that price range seemed like they were much older.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

do not get the sunroof on the alltrack. also i don't think the manual AWD sportwagen came with LEDs in the front. for DRLs yes, for main bulbs no.

only the top end trim has the LED headlights, which also have the sunroof

we have a 2019 SEL and they fixed the headliner leak and now its been fine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

flightless greeb posted:

I think the M Sport pack is just an appearance thing, some different trim and a nicer steering wheel (why I want it). There is a suspension upgrade you can find but it's exceedingly rare. I think I've only seen two cars equipped with it and I've been looking at them since September.

Re VW yeah I know to stay away from sunroofs and I think I found a website that sells replica Golf R LEDs which would be cool.

Interesting about the 2014 MBs. The only ones I was able to find in that price range seemed like they were much older.

Here's the brake breakdown: https://www.bimmerworld.com/About-Us/F30-M-Sport-Brakes/ On the 335 at least, you get much needed larger brakes. I've commented before that I don't really like my Dad's 335 with the standard brakes.

Also in comparison to my car, I had a loaner 2019 440xi while I got a new radiator under warranty. My '15 335 has the variable steering, and I got used to it after a few weeks. The VSS on the 440 was different, it was much easier under 5mph, and MUCH harder above 35ish mph. The range in between felt average. The dynamic suspension and M Sport wheel on the '19 were more or less the same as my '15.

After buying the xDelete on black friday and dicking around with three ethernet adapters, I've determined the Pixel won't let you do poo poo to configure a wired ethernet adapter, and have finally sucked up and bought the stupid MHD wifi adapter. Now that it's finally snowing in PA, it's a brilliant time to turn off two wheels. When it arrives.

They sent me one of those "Lets get you into a 2020 M340xi!!!" emails too. Thanks guys. Also, you'd think someone would try to pair that to a similar car, the closest thing they'd have to mine is the M2, since that's about the only car on their lot with a stick. The kicker is that they don't even have any 340s in stock!