Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

RIP Jerry/Garry Gergich

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Gaybies nomination: Worst "A Thing Happened" Cartoon

(I'm gonna keep calling it that until folks come to a decision :) )

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

I call it 'political cartoon art'.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

And we intend to peel slowly and see.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

Gaybies 5ever! Aren't these like just for us? Why should we change when everyone else sucks?

Syfe
Jun 12, 2006

I love that he had to make the donkey a woman, even though the art display was a made by a guy.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

I hadn't realised that Holbert was the one who gave us Skull-Donkey.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
When did Lester update his signature?

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

RodShaft posted:

Gaybies 5ever! Aren't these like just for us? Why should we change when everyone else sucks?

Because we suck too, and I've always felt like the name "gay abortions" was a touch edgelordy

The Sours or the Sickos would be fine. And, yeah, once Tinsley finally finishes what he's started I think the Tinsley Memorial Awards for Awful Political Cartooning would be a fitting tribute

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

There is nothing edgelordy about this art. :colbert:

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Kaza42 posted:

The group call themselves "Reactionaries" and "Neoreactionaries".

Hard to believe, but somehow true.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

I'm glad not to have known that, but thank you.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Ambitious Spider posted:

When tinsley eventually passes it might be appropriate to name after him

“Dead Ducks” seems just as fake edgy to be honest.

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011
I belong here. I contain only inanimate objects. Nothing is amiss.

Somfin posted:

Because we suck too, and I've always felt like the name "gay abortions" was a touch edgelordy

If you don't know Smartephant and the rear end then it's easy to mistake for meaning "these cartoons are so bad they're abortions" and the gay part as pejorative. Because it's how we've always done it is a dumb reason to keep a name, and Whiskey Sours is as good as any. Or the Blood Gates. Annual Opening of the Blood Gates, Bloodies for short.

We'll always still have Smartephant and the rear end.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

In that some people loudly said it was useless but it ended up being worth a lot?

Cloud Potato posted:

Stephen Collins:

Hmm, I have been meaning to watch Succession.... or Lovejoy.

Tnega
Oct 26, 2010

Pillbug

I Am Just a Box posted:

If you don't know Smartephant and the rear end then it's easy to mistake for meaning "these cartoons are so bad they're abortions" and the gay part as pejorative. Because it's how we've always done it is a dumb reason to keep a name, and Whiskey Sours is as good as any. Or the Blood Gates. Annual Opening of the Blood Gates, Bloodies for short.

We'll always still have Smartephant and the rear end.

If we wanted a name for the awards that is even less comprehensible than "gaybies", might I suggest the Thorsberg Bronze Quill awards for cartooning excellence?

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
Like "Oscar" or "Tony," you could just call them "The Geralds."

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
If it makes others uncomfortable it should be changed. Tradition and in-jokes are second to people

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...
Yeah, I can definitively understand how it sounds to someone entirely unfamiliar with the in joke. The good news is we have a giant list of equally unfunny in jokes to choose from.

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
The Whisky Sours Awards, or Sours, works for me

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)
The Awards Formerly Known as the Gaybies.

Both arguments are pretty good and I do so enjoy that gay abortions panel very much. Being gay and hearing it used as the pejorative is annoying at best and anxiety inducing at worst. The current name is obviously easy to misinterpreted and very very esoteric. I'm worried that calling it the Whiskey Sours could be more a dishonor to one of our most beloved poltoonist, but with his blessing it could be a fun way to honor probably the most honest of them.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
What, no pants on the ground award? Actually that dumb cartoon is miles better than most of what gets posted here. I retract my question.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
The Debts. Little Debties.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

Nameless Pete posted:

Like "Oscar" or "Tony," you could just call them "The Geralds."

This is good.

E: It's good because much like the Tony and Oscar awards, it's a nickname for a much more formal name so you get the best of both worlds. You can call it officially the Gay Abortion Award For Artistic Excellence in Journalism or whatever, but the commonly viewed thread title can be "the Geralds" so as not to disturb any casual forum readers unfamiliar with the context.

E2: yeah, that vvvvvvvv

wizzardstaff fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Jan 19, 2020

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

World Famous W posted:

If it makes others uncomfortable it should be changed. Tradition and in-jokes are second to people

No, it's about heritage, not hate!

Seriously, though, I think it's fine to keep the title to use amongst ourselves in the thread, it's just the public-facing title that should probably be changed.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Jurgan posted:

No, it's about heritage, not hate!

Seriously, though, I think it's fine to keep the title to use amongst ourselves in the thread, it's just the public-facing title that should probably be changed.

For what it's worth, whatever decision the thread comes to, I'm still going to collect nominations with the "Gaybies" name - no worries there.

I've asked Stan Kelly on Twitter what drink he thinks should represent the worst of cartooning (whiskey sours clearly represent the best!). I'll report back if I get a response.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
“Latest Fad”

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost
The Mikeys, after Ramirez or Lester, pick one.

The Brucies, after Tinsley.

The Teddies, after Rall.

The Bennies, after Garrison.

The Tinas, after Norton-Garrison.

For older thread in-jokes, the Weathervane Awards, the Crack Bongs, or the Backpacks could work.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Cum pass or pants on the ground

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

"Gay Abortion Awards" was absolutely meant to offend people. Just not LBGTQ+, but rather lovely cartoonists. If you're not on the in joke then yeah it can be offensive.

However it's for that reason that I can't reccomend we name it after someone or anything like a normal award. If you just happened by a phrase like "Garrison won a Tinsley award this year" then you'd still need to be in on the joke. Otherwise someone won't think it's a bad thing, and someone like Garrison would probably be proud to win a Tinsley. But winning a "gaybie" would immediately be off putting to poo poo bags like him and that's good.

You'd always need to qualify the title with the "worst cartoons of the year" or even stuff like whiskey sours wouldn't annoy them.

I would vote for something that would still convey a negative message to them. Like poo poo eating scumbag award winners will win shitties. Something like that. Very clear that these cartoons suck to the artists, public, and new goons alike.

And yeah I know maybe the artists never even know about us, and we might say the awards are just for us in here. But I don't believe that or else we wouldn't be having this conversation and they'd just keep the name.

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011
I belong here. I contain only inanimate objects. Nothing is amiss.

itskage posted:

And yeah I know maybe the artists never even know about us, and we might say the awards are just for us in here. But I don't believe that or else we wouldn't be having this conversation and they'd just keep the name.

The cartoonists don't know or care that they're winning any Gay Abortions, but we're having this conversation because there are people browsing D&D who don't read political cartoon threads and would like to not see an incendiary thread title easily interpreted to use their sexual orientation as a pejorative if you haven't memorized an old in-joke cartoon, which they haven't, because they don't read political cartoon threads.

It's very little effort to go through, and there's no point in defending the honor and integrity of the politoons thread about the pants-on-the-groundiest JPEGs.

I Am Just a Box fucked around with this message at 10:43 on Jan 19, 2020

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Easy solution: Post the Smartephant and the rear end with each set of gaybies. Now everyone will get the joke!

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

I Am Just a Box posted:

The cartoonists don't know or care that they're winning any Gay Abortions, but we're having this conversation because there are people browsing D&D who don't read political cartoon threads and would like to not see an incendiary thread title easily interpreted to use their sexual orientation as a pejorative if you haven't memorized an old in-joke cartoon, which they haven't, because they don't read political cartoon threads.

It's very little effort to go through, and there's no point in defending the honor and integrity of the politoons thread about the pants-on-the-groundiest JPEGs.

Bors has read the thread at some point and I’m sure at least a few other cartoonists are aware of us. There’s a non-zero chance cartoonists actually hear about it. The name should definitely have a negative connotation even if it isn’t Gay Abortion

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

SneezeOfTheDecade posted:

I've asked Stan Kelly on Twitter what drink he thinks should represent the worst of cartooning (whiskey sours clearly represent the best!). I'll report back if I get a response.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

SirSamVimes posted:

Easy solution: Post the Smartephant and the rear end with each set of gaybies. Now everyone will get the joke!

this but unironically

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!

Lemming posted:

Cum pass or pants on the ground

The Cum Pass Awards, or Cummies.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

Call it the Dumb and so Goddamn Crazy awards. Both an inside joke for the thread referencing a very specific comic and also an obvious insult so that nobody could think it was meant as a compliment to the winners. Only flaw is I can't think of away to shorthand it.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

CuwiKhons posted:

Call it the Dumb and so Goddamn Crazy awards. Both an inside joke for the thread referencing a very specific comic and also an obvious insult so that nobody could think it was meant as a compliment to the winners. Only flaw is I can't think of away to shorthand it.

Considering the origins of the statement, call it a Shmorky. Any comic or media folk who decide to look into that get a real treat.

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

Saint Sputnik posted:

The Cum Pass Awards, or Cummies.

This is my favorite suggestion so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

CuwiKhons posted:

Oscar isn't short for anything - call it a Gerald, if some dummy starts bragging about their Gerald then they'll get chaos dunked when someone points out that the full name is the DasgC Award for Mediocrity in Cartooning.