Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

drrockso20 posted:

I imagine it comes down to Fire Emblem honestly being over represented in the game, I'd have to double check but I'm pretty sure it has the most characters of any franchise in the game(since for some weird reason Smash counts Yoshi, Wario, and the Donkey Kong characters as all being separate from the Mario franchise), so a lot of people feel that a large chunk of the slots that Fire Emblem characters occupy could have been given to more interesting characters from other franchises(especially for characters that are stuck as either Assist Trophies or Mii Fighter costumes), especially when it comes to characters one has to pay for

Though I do agree that a lot of people are going a bit too hard in complaining about it

https://twitter.com/TheofficialJugg/status/1217835761216708609

As for Yoshi/Wario/Donkey Kong those are all characters with their own game lines. Donkey Kong first showed up before Mario was Mario. Wario first showed up in a Mario Game Boy game and now has two game lines of his own. Yoshi also have their own game line.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I just found out my dad, who I've known for years to be a prevalent historical writer and the like as a side gig, is apparently writing for a fairly notable tabletop gaming magazine/newsletter by a tabletop games publisher (Against The Odds) and I'm not sure how to cope with that. Like, I've known he enjoys strategy games (hell we had Starcraft/AoE2 LANs between himself, my brother, and I for years) and the like but just seeing him still doing it at his age is so confusing. Then again he also was hired by Microsoft to write SQL Server tech manuals in the 2000s that a CTO at a former company I worked at recognized my last name from (which was equally weird).

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 10:23 on Jan 18, 2020

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Mekchu posted:

I just found out my dad, who I've known for years to be a prevalent historical writer and the like as a side gig, is apparently writing for a fairly notable tabletop gaming magazine/newsletter by a tabletop games publisher (Against The Odds) and I'm not sure how to cope with that. Like, I've known he enjoys strategy games (hell we had Starcraft/AoE2 LANs between himself, my brother, and I for years) and the like but just seeing him still doing it at his age is so confusing. Then again he also was hired by Microsoft to write SQL Server tech manuals in the 2000s that a CTO at a former company I worked at recognized my last name from (which was equally weird).

Ha, that's cool. You can rest easy in that almost whatever you do, your dad's a bigger nerd than you are. Freakin' dads, am I right? I recently found out my dad has been officially retired for like three years and he never bothered to tell me or my brother. It doesn't help that he still continues to do freelance stuff (software localization which means he can work from home). Also that time he called me and said "hey son come have soup tonight, [long-time girlfriend] and I just got married".

Anyway, I've been enjoying Ni No Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch. It's very charming, the battles (of which there are a lot...) are quick, the fight system isn't your old stiff as hell JRPG fare and is pretty interesting, with a decent dash of Pokemon thrown in there.

Also, unrelated to either topic: I swear one of these days I'm going to loving die when I see people type "vwala"/"wa-lah"/any of its awful incorrect versions when they mean to type "voilá" too many times on the internet. Jesus christ help me

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

viola

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
volia

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

if you die do you go to voilhalla

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Mods????

FullMetalJackoff
Feb 15, 2004

Waluigi want his fucking Amiibo
-Had to make the decision to euthanize our dog a few weeks ago. Despite her being old and getting far more arthritic, deaf and being sick from the beginnings of probable stomach cancer in the last 12 months, it didn't make it any easier to bear witness to the procedure. Have never shed a tear at any funeral, but could not hold them back for this. Bought a puppy weeks beforehand who was in constant lonely sulk and cry mode afterwards, which guilted me enough to get another. Now I have two heeler (cattle dog) pups eating my shoes and putting on five star classics inside and outside the house.

-Contrary to the pissing and moaning I've seen online from alleged Yakuza/RGG 'fans', I'm very stoked with the direction the new installment is going. As someone who's been on board since the original PS2 release, it's nice to have turn-based rpg style battles. Now I might actually start enjoying boss fights again, instead of spamming Tiger Drops and evade dashing.

FullMetalJackoff fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Jan 18, 2020

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Sorry about your dog, buddy :smith:

I know you already know and it still doesn't make it any easier, but you did absolutely the right thing not making an animal you loved suffer through misery and pain just so you could have a few more weeks/months of having them around. Good luck with the puppies!

FullMetalJackoff posted:

-Contrary to the pissing and moaning I've seen online from alleged Yakuza/RGG 'fans', I'm very stoked with the direction the new installment is going. As someone who's been on board since the original PS2 release, it's nice to have turn-based rpg style battles. Now I might actually start enjoying boss fights again, instead of spamming Tiger Drops and evade dashing.

Everything I've seen makes it look like one of the most incredible games ever made, I can't wait to play it. But I'll have to, because Sega are cowards and haven't brought out the 3-5 remasters on PC yet. Or 6 on PC. Or Judgment on PC. :f5:

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.
I’m a grown rear end man and I pay my taxes and eat rare steak and I cried like a baby when we had to put my dog down.

Your dog depended on you and you took care of them; you did good. I am really sorry; that sucks.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Jerusalem posted:

Sorry about your dog, buddy :smith:

I know you already know and it still doesn't make it any easier, but you did absolutely the right thing not making an animal you loved suffer through misery and pain just so you could have a few more weeks/months of having them around. Good luck with the puppies!

Everything I've seen makes it look like one of the most incredible games ever made, I can't wait to play it. But I'll have to, because Sega are cowards and haven't brought out the 3-5 remasters on PC yet. Or 6 on PC. Or Judgment on PC. :f5:

I just visit my parents to play them on my dad's PS4. The only one I don't have for a console I don't own is Zero which I have on PC.

I am so obscenely obsessed with these games. Playing Judgement at the moment and it's been hard to find time to watch wrestling because any chance I get for free time in the evening I want to play Judgement and just end up wandering Kamurocho without purpose.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

sick dogs are no fun.

Subat still continues to be a wonderfully weird little show.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

why didn't they make that "ha-ah-ah-ah-aaaaaah" part of the chorus in yes or yes? it's the catchiest part and really ties it all together but it only happens once in the song, the first time the chorus is performed. Really a disappointment

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

i'm six months sober today. to be honest i still hate it as much as i did the first day, and i still resent that i can't get drunk anymore but i assume someday I will feel good about this decision. I literally watch the Eddie Guerrero promo on addiction weekly and it has probably saved my life.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

watched this thing called "all about eve"

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

now im gonna watch some audrey hepburn crap, because shes so pretty and i can pretend that shes my gf

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Eat My Fuc posted:

i'm six months sober today. to be honest i still hate it as much as i did the first day, and i still resent that i can't get drunk anymore but i assume someday I will feel good about this decision. I literally watch the Eddie Guerrero promo on addiction weekly and it has probably saved my life.

fuckin congrats dude. Been there. It is pretty rough and you'll hate everything about it sometimes.I'm kinda hosed up so I'm learning to treasure those moments complete and total loathing. But yeah, after you settle into a new life routine, it gets lots better.

Accident Underwater
Oct 21, 2005

You look like a star!

Eat My Fuc posted:

That's an incredibly challenging thing to do, congrats

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

Good Job

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.

Eat My Fuc posted:

Congratulations man! Keep it going. I’ve got eight years and change and it’s the best decision I ever made. I’m a happier, healthier person and the people in my life know they can depend on me.

Six months for me was the point where I could start looking back on months previous and see how my thinking had changed. Like, I noticed a sharp difference in just the basic clarity and quality of my thoughts and actions between 0-1, 1-2, 3-6, etc.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

it feels suckass trying to not do addict stuff with addict stuff. keep it up because it's good for you

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 31 days!
Felt a pang of nostalgia and so decided to watch some old 1970s sitcoms, namely the classic Mary Tyler Moore Show, and I have the following observations:

1. While Mary was certainly attractive, it is interesting how at the start, the show took both Valerie Harper and Cloris Leachman--two very attractive women in their own right at the time--and tried to dress them down so they wouldn't "compete" with MTM (Harper's Rhoda was initially much frumpier, and Leachman's Phyllis was more prissy)
2. Ted Knight as Ted Baxter was a goddamn national treasure
3. Ditto Ed Asner as Lou Grant

Continuing the wave of nostalgia, I'm now starting a run of Space: 1999 (a show that I don't ever remember watching as a kid, despite actually owning some toys from it back in the day).

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I'm looking at Screencaps of Space 1999 and that looks fuckin gorgeous. I'll check that out.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 31 days!

coconono posted:

I'm looking at Screencaps of Space 1999 and that looks fuckin gorgeous. I'll check that out.

I've only watched a few episodes but the SFX are definitely really good for a 1970s sci-fi series (that isn't BSG, anyways). And one episode had Lovejoy/Al Swearengen himself in it. :v:

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Eat My Fuc posted:

Well at least you don't have to have a moment like my friend did, where she had something of a substance abuse issue and nearly died while hanging out with her super drunk friend at said friend's place.

And then lost all connected friends over the resulting lawsuit / fact she gave up drinking in the aftermath. She balked at suing the woman regardless of her bloody injuries but I was like "friend, your son almost didn't have a mom over another person's decisions, maybe its time to get mad?"

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

Spiderdrake posted:

Well at least you don't have to have a moment like my friend did, where she had something of a substance abuse issue and nearly died while hanging out with her super drunk friend at said friend's place.

And then lost all connected friends over the resulting lawsuit / fact she gave up drinking in the aftermath. She balked at suing the woman regardless of her bloody injuries but I was like "friend, your son almost didn't have a mom over another person's decisions, maybe its time to get mad?"

Yea it could have gotten a lot worse for me. I lost my career but I got my health for the most part and i'm still fairly young, thankful I don't have kids to be subjected to my very slow suicide attempt

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Eat My Fuc posted:

Good for you and I wish you the best of luck going forward, it'll be tough but it'll be worth it.

forkboy84 posted:

wandering Kamurocho without purpose.

The purpose is that it's so much fun to do!

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Came back from the Doctor. High Fever. High Blood Pressure. Flu. I will root for my rumble team in spirit..while oh yes, trying to get better physically.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

TV Zombie posted:

Came back from the Doctor. High Fever. High Blood Pressure. Flu. I will root for my rumble team in spirit..while oh yes, trying to get better physically.
Good news, the flu is making you mess up dates, you have eight days to the rumble.

FullMetalJackoff
Feb 15, 2004

Waluigi want his fucking Amiibo

Jerusalem posted:

The only reasons I haven't bought any on PC is because I've been buying and thrashing the games the week they launch on PS4. I traded my console in for the marginally less lovely PS4 Pro, just so I can play Yakuza 6 at a decent framerate (then Kiwami 1/2 afterwards). I've held off on Judgment in the hopes it would get a PC release by now, but SEGA are living up to the 'to be this good takes AGES' motto, by sitting on their hands instead!

I'd buy them all again for PC if there was a way to convert my console saves.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

TV Zombie posted:

I'm so sorry I have terrible news............ :smith:

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
So I'm closer still to my new laptop being set up but I'm noticing I'm typing at least a little bit slower. I'm hoping that that's just adjustment to the new machine and that the ergonomics to the keyboard aren't totally hosed compared to the old keyboard because boy howdy I like to be able to type things pretty quickly. I'll probably adjust, right? I mean, I used the other laptop for literally over ten years, there's probably going to be something of an adjustment period, or at least I'd like to think so. :shobon:

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

SamuraiFoochs posted:

So I'm closer still to my new laptop being set up but I'm noticing I'm typing at least a little bit slower. I'm hoping that that's just adjustment to the new machine and that the ergonomics to the keyboard aren't totally hosed compared to the old keyboard because boy howdy I like to be able to type things pretty quickly. I'll probably adjust, right? I mean, I used the other laptop for literally over ten years, there's probably going to be something of an adjustment period, or at least I'd like to think so. :shobon:
Within like six weeks, you'll be so used to your old keyboard that if you try to use your old familiar keyboard your muscle memory won't let you because brains are weird and magic.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

WSAENOTSOCK posted:

Within like six weeks, you'll be so used to your old keyboard that if you try to use your old familiar keyboard your muscle memory won't let you because brains are weird and magic.

And by old you mean new? :haw:

I guess what I'm saying is it stands to reason that I'm going to need to relearn some muscle memory for the new machine? Someone who switches laptops more often than I do would be able to speak better on this.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

SamuraiFoochs posted:

I guess what I'm saying is it stands to reason that I'm going to need to relearn some muscle memory for the new machine? Someone who switches laptops more often than I do would be able to speak better on this.
I went through three different laptops in 2018. Then I spilled tea on this one, and sent it back to lenovo which involved replacing the keyboard, which changed the feel yet again! Unless you're having trouble with coordination (typing into the wrong keys, pausing to find your place) it may not be your muscle memory, but that kind of millisecond task assignment is super sensitive and you may not even notice.

It can simply be the new keyboard's membranes are stiffer, or you don't like the mechanism, or the flexibility of the keyboard. Do you find it softer or less responsive? Harder to press down? The tactile feedback could be different and you're re-learning, again, muscle memory. Or you might prefer softer feedback and need wear in time. Inversely I type immensely slower on my thinkpad than my stupidly expensive desktop keyboard simply because the keys are better. Some keyboards are just worse.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

SamuraiFoochs posted:

And by old you mean new? :haw:

Yup! I used old instead of new at first and ruined my whole point.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Spiderdrake posted:

I went through three different laptops in 2018. Then I spilled tea on this one, and sent it back to lenovo which involved replacing the keyboard, which changed the feel yet again! Unless you're having trouble with coordination (typing into the wrong keys, pausing to find your place) it may not be your muscle memory, but that kind of millisecond task assignment is super sensitive and you may not even notice.

It can simply be the new keyboard's membranes are stiffer, or you don't like the mechanism, or the flexibility of the keyboard. Do you find it softer or less responsive? Harder to press down? The tactile feedback could be different and you're re-learning, again, muscle memory. Or you might prefer softer feedback and need wear in time. Inversely I type immensely slower on my thinkpad than my stupidly expensive desktop keyboard simply because the keys are better. Some keyboards are just worse.

I'm absolutely having some coordination issues. It's a ThinkPad but it's a P53 Workstation so it's the nicest you can get in a laptop, pretty much. If I'm being honest I think it's 95%+ momentary coordination issues because it doesn't feel remotely worse than the other machine did once I get into the actual flow of the typing, if that makes sense. I'm also generally tired as gently caress mentally and moderately tired physically, plus I'm probably being hypervigilant in the sense that I'm looking for things that are different or "wrong" because I'm nervous about that being the case. I quite like the feel of the keys, so I know that's not the issue. It is a bit more spread out in terms of layout, but I think that's something that, if it is slowing me down to any great degree, I'll probably learn to compensate for in time (I'm a two-finger typist because cerebral palsy isn't conducive to ten finger typing).

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

I just bought my partner a new laptop today, an Acer Nitro 5 with a Ryzen something. Hope it's good for playing Minecraft because that's what it's gonna be used for!

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

I'm having a lot of fun with the new dragon ball game. It's got lots of mindless collecting and side quests which is a plus for me, and the semi open worlds are well designed with interesting little things to look at. I think anyone with nostalgia for dragon ball would like it, my only complaint is it glosses over a lot of the more detailed elements of the story, I don't imagine someone who isn't already familiar with the beats would see the story as coherent at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I saw it had come out, it looks cool but I was leery since almost all the DBZ/One Piece games etc just seem to be one-on-one fighters that largely just repeat cutscenes from the anime only this time in whatever the game engine is. Open world/collecting is something I usually enjoy, but does it have any deal depth to the gameplay?

Edit: What I REALLY want is for somebody to make a game exactly like Assassin's Creed Odyssey, only it's One Piece. :stwoon: