Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Yeah I like boring stuff too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
All I want is all the emotional gravitas of the sub but also the devil-may-care whimsy of the dub, in exactly the ratio that I'm imagining in my head. Is that so much to ask?

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I’m sorry I don’t respect the sanctity of poo poo like Mimi’s little brother and Takeru having a different dad and the obliteration of any instances of more than three seconds of silence or anything resembling consistent tone.

Nodosaur fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Jan 19, 2020

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Personally, I'll watch it subbed, so I don't care what the English dub does.

Also I expect literally nothing out of it so I can't even be disappointed. Sad, the description of the plot actually does sound neat...though the train thing reminds me of Frontier, which is not something you want to remind me of.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I’m not sure the trains are the source of Frontier’s various issues.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Nodosaur posted:

no, but it is a reminder, which was the point

Just watch though, it's going to be the tram car from the island. That's where Tai will end up. We'll finally get a roundabout origin story for that loving tram car.

Is there a way to translate train into tram? I'm sure they must be similar

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Nodosaur posted:

They aren't and Digimon has had good trains (the Locomon movie was pretty good, though of course, Tamers) but the first thing that came to mind with "child gets into train, ends up in the Digital World" is Frontier, and that's the last thing you want people to think about with your new Digimon series!

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

The last thing I want to think about in a Digimon series is Yonemura writing for it again.

His XW episodes were the worst in the series.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

So it’s a reboot. Eh... I guess it could be good? I wish we were getting something new (or the Tamers sequel but that’s never happening).

Seems like the writer is the guy who did Pokémon for a while and a bunch of other toy/card-based franchises for young kids. He’s got experience at the very least, though I worry about the atmosphere of the show compared to the original series.

Burkion posted:

no, but it is a reminder, which was the point

Just watch though, it's going to be the tram car from the island. That's where Tai will end up. We'll finally get a roundabout origin story for that loving tram car.

Is there a way to translate train into tram? I'm sure they must be similar

Train is 電車 and tram/trolley is 路面電車. So while “train” is part of the word it’s different enough that I can’t see there being any connection.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
This is shaping up not even to be a reboot. This is just straight up a remake.

The biggest difference so far is that Tai doesn't make it to summer camp and he gets taken on a train instead. Assuming relationships remain the same, that means the only kid he'll really know in the digital world is Sora- which is how it was in season 1 anyways. While the kids kind of knew each other, it was mostly on a name basis, and none of them were friends outside of Tai and Sora and Matt and TK. I think Sora even calls Mimi the weird one with the hat.

Though we'll know for sure just how much of a remake this is when we see what the danger in the digital world is. If black gears and Devimon show up though...

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
Judging by the poster, Patamon won't even be showing up. I wonder how the Devimon climax would go without him.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Burkion posted:

This is shaping up not even to be a reboot. This is just straight up a remake.

The biggest difference so far is that Tai doesn't make it to summer camp and he gets taken on a train instead. Assuming relationships remain the same, that means the only kid he'll really know in the digital world is Sora- which is how it was in season 1 anyways. While the kids kind of knew each other, it was mostly on a name basis, and none of them were friends outside of Tai and Sora and Matt and TK. I think Sora even calls Mimi the weird one with the hat.

Though we'll know for sure just how much of a remake this is when we see what the danger in the digital world is. If black gears and Devimon show up though...

They’re fixing incidents in the real world by going into the digital world. It’s gonna be pretty different.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

They’re fixing incidents in the real world by going into the digital world. It’s gonna be pretty different.

Has that been stated fully?

That was part of the initial thing, but the fully translated VJump article makes it sound like the problems in the real world are like the ones in season 1- remember, the world was tearing itself apart there. It also seems like Tai is going to be stuck in the Digital World at least for a bit

EDIT: Even if it was, this is not a reboot. This IS a remake. Even if they pop back and forth from the real world to the digital to solve problems or whatever- the old continuity is gone. This is a brand new retelling of the original story. That's a remake.

Burkion fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Jan 19, 2020

blossommirage
Nov 7, 2012

I thought a remake was when you make the same thing again but better, and a reboot is when you take some elements of an old property, and then make something completely new from the pieces.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

blossommirage posted:

I thought a remake was when you make the same thing again but better, and a reboot is when you take some elements of an old property, and then make something completely new from the pieces.

A remake has no bearing on quality, it must be said.

Reboot can mean a lot of things at this point because it's used a lot, but I've always thought of it as a refresh. Godzilla 1985, which is a direct sequel to Godzilla 1954 and nothing else in that series, is a reboot. It keeps some of the old continuity but nothing else. Shin Godzilla would be a remake- the same idea, but in a new continuity divorced of everything before it.

But as I think on it, the terms have gotten muddled in the last few years. Especially in terms of cinema and such. So use whatever I guess.

I still wonder if this series will be the result of whatever goes down in teh new movie, given the timing in release and all.

Burkion fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Jan 19, 2020

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Seems like the writer is the guy who did Pokémon for a while and a bunch of other toy/card-based franchises for young kids. He’s got experience at the very least, though I worry about the atmosphere of the show compared to the original series.

Tomioka also worked on less child/toy-oriented stuff, he wrote quite a bit of the Future Trunks arc of Dragon Ball Super, which is by far the most bleak moment in the series so I have hope he can take the darker aspects of the franchise on should Toei allow it.

TheHan posted:

Judging by the poster, Patamon won't even be showing up. I wonder how the Devimon climax would go without him.

Pfft, I didn't even notice Patamon wasn't there. That's a hilarious oversight. I seriously doubt he got cut, this is likely just an error in the poster, but I'm laughing my rear end off at it now.

Burkion posted:

I still wonder if this series will be the result of whatever goes down in teh new movie, given the timing in release and all.

I'm not sure how. It's already confirmed Last Evolution will lead to the 02 epilogue so I'm not sure how this reboot (or remake or whatever you want to call it) could be born from it.

blossommirage
Nov 7, 2012

Sorry yeah, I misspoke. It's intent is to make a better version of it. Reboot sounds harsher than remake to me, like every five years they make a new Spider-Man movie that has no continuity with other ones, and people call them reboots. Remake would be like Resident Evil 1 where they just made the same game again as faithfully as they felt possible but ideally better, or at least more easily digestible by a modern audience. But I could be super wrong about that, they tend to get used interchangeably a lot.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

blossommirage posted:

Sorry yeah, I misspoke. It's intent is to make a better version of it. Reboot sounds harsher than remake to me, like every five years they make a new Spider-Man movie that has no continuity with other ones, and people call them reboots. Remake would be like Resident Evil 1 where they just made the same game again as faithfully as they felt possible but ideally better, or at least more easily digestible by a modern audience. But I could be super wrong about that, they tend to get used interchangeably a lot.

I think it'll hinge on what the real plot is. If it really is about fighting the Dark Masters and such, we're probably dealing with a remake.

But if the plot is different enough, then it's a reboot. We just seriously have nothing to go on right now.

It is interesting that both Gatomon and Patamon are missing from teh poster. The way TK and Kari are on it, I'm not sure it's unintentional. In theory, if this is a remake, they'd be hiding Gatomon's identity for any new people that don't know she's the 8th Digimon, but Patamon?

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Make Kari part of the initial cast you cowards.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Funky Valentine posted:

so many loving characters

Like that's one of the most important things season 1 accomplished. It juggled 16 loving main characters and did it near flawlessly. There's a reason why Adventure is the second longest show though, because that poo poo takes tiiiiiiime. So many episodes are just characters developing and bonding and getting to know each other. I'm not sure if the new series will be able to recreate that.

blossommirage
Nov 7, 2012

Funky Valentine posted:

If they're not gonna have Patamon there at first, they could just have two kids without Digimon for awhile. It would give more time to build her up as the heart of the team, and give Gatomon more chances to be evil before her face turn. Kari is also just my favorite character, so this is probably a biased take.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Burkion posted:

EDIT: Even if it was, this is not a reboot. This IS a remake. Even if they pop back and forth from the real world to the digital to solve problems or whatever- the old continuity is gone. This is a brand new retelling of the original story. That's a remake.

That’s a reboot dude

Tribladeofchaos
Jul 2, 2008

IT'S SHOWTIME!

I wonder if the reboot will actually put Meiko into it, or if she's just doomed to be just in Tri.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Tribladeofchaos posted:

I wonder if the reboot will actually put Meiko into it, or if she's just doomed to be just in Tri.

If Hikari is with the group from the start, maybe they can have Meiko take over Hikari's role of the kid that got left behind that joins them later on.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Burkion posted:

Like that's one of the most important things season 1 accomplished. It juggled 16 loving main characters and did it near flawlessly. There's a reason why Adventure is the second longest show though, because that poo poo takes tiiiiiiime. So many episodes are just characters developing and bonding and getting to know each other. I'm not sure if the new series will be able to recreate that.

Not really. Half the characters had no personality and no growth, existing entirely as a single personality trait that was used to help the other half actually grow. Of course, the half with no personality or growth is the Digimon except Tailmon (Hikari is instead the one-note deus ex machina).

Juggling eight characters is still really drat good, don't get me wrong, but let's not pretend Adventure was flawless here. Partner Digimon (with, again, Tailmon as an exception, and then Wormmon in 02 to a lesser extent) didn't really get to be characters until Tamers.

Tribladeofchaos posted:

The latter. Last Evolution seems to completely ignore her existence (as well as the rest of Tri), making it clear that Toei really does not want to remember Tri happened. Meiko is just never going to appear again, and honestly, nothing of importance was lost.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Tribladeofchaos posted:

I'm usually a live and let live kind of fan, I had hoped from the beginning Tri would do more and interesting things with 02 kids to justify that epilogue, and I'm not inherently opposed to this reboot/remake/whatever, but I'm hoping for no Meiko. I don't say that Meiko couldn't be salvaged or made to be good, but it would probably involve so much time and effort they might as well start again with a new character. And if they did roll a saving throw for Meiko what would you get from it? Tri successfully produced in Meiko a character with no upside benefit even if you could pull her free of all the bad writing in and around her.

As Burkion alluded to the ad copy doesn't make it a hundred percent clear how the series is structured. What you're saying is implied by what's been said, but it's still a least a little up in the air what world the cast are going to be in for most of the time whether it's like Adventure/Frontier and they're mostly/entirely in the digital world or 02/Appmon where they're mostly human world and go to the Digital World to solve problems. The summary says Taichi et al. are sent to the digital world, but it says nothing about whether or not they can come back.

Incidentally this point is likely going to matter a lot in terms of how Hikari is used, if the series remains based in the human world then there's no reason she isn't going to be a lot more prominent even before she meets her partner. Of course this assumes the poster made a conscious choice to leave out Patamon and Tailmon and that said conscious choice is because Takeru and Hikari won't have partners at first. Considering this is a nostalgia revival (whatever else it is) it really wouldn't surprise me if they cut across it and had a team of eight from the get-go.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I wouldn’t count on Meiko in this because her partner requires the final boss to die in order to exist.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I guess this would be the fourth? Retelling of Adventure? If that's what it ends up being. The second anime, but wasn't there a manga and novel adaptation as well?

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Burkion posted:

I guess this would be the fourth? Retelling of Adventure? If that's what it ends up being. The second anime, but wasn't there a manga and novel adaptation as well?

I believe there was a manga of some provenance, but there was definitely a novelization and also the PSP game.

blossommirage
Nov 7, 2012

That PSP game kinda ruled, too.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

blossommirage posted:

That PSP game kinda ruled, too.

One of these days I have to actually finish that, especially now that a complete english patch was released.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

mateo360 posted:

especially now that a complete english patch was released.
Link?

(Not to the game, I know that's :filez:, just the patch.)

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

PMush Perfect posted:

Link?

Does it really count as :filez: if it never left Japan?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

drrockso20 posted:

Does it really count as :filez: if it never left Japan?
I'd rather not find out.

Anyways, got it. Thanks, y'all.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

PMush Perfect posted:

Link?

https://digimonadventurenglish.weebly.com/updates

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Nodosaur posted:

I wouldn’t count on Meiko in this because her partner requires the final boss to die in order to exist.

I just don’t want her in because her partner is basically a reskin of Gatomon.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Geostomp posted:

Gatomon doesn't talk like a slightly-dim Pokemon.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Geostomp posted:

Yeah, it's pretty impressive just how uncreative the Meicoomon line is. The Baby II and Child stages, which don't appear in Tri, are literally slightly modified Nyaromon and Plotmon, What follows isn't better: cat-like Adult stage, and ending in an Ophan Digimon.

blossommirage
Nov 7, 2012

Blaze Dragon posted:

Yeah, it's pretty impressive just how uncreative the Meicoomon line is. The Baby II and Child stages, which don't appear in Tri, are literally slightly modified Nyaromon and Plotmon, What follows isn't better: cat-like Adult stage, and ending in an Ophan Digimon.

Jesus Christ, is that real? That's literally just a palette swap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
One thing I like about the PSP game- the extra side missions that you can do are basically just what Digimon season 1 filler would be like if the show had the time for filler and that's neat