Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Nail Rat posted:

Actually you'll find Jon Space is from Montana.

But yeah as others said it's a very diverse show, except that obviously white belters should be nearly non-existent.

Iirc the Belter language is at least part Eastern European influences

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
I thought one of the books placed alex at late 40s (at that time)?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

StashAugustine posted:

Iirc the Belter language is at least part Eastern European influences

German and Russian show up in the book version frequently.

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

I thought one of the books placed alex at late 40s (at that time)?

The books cover a wide timeframe. I'm saying 40 is bare minimum Alex age for Leviathan Wakes, but it's not specified anywhere I've found.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Grand Fromage posted:

German and Russian show up in the book version frequently.

The books cover a wide timeframe. I'm saying 40 is bare minimum Alex age for Leviathan Wakes, but it's not specified anywhere I've found.

I'm working through Book 5 and I have to ask, and this can be a one-letter reply, but Alex and Bobby never gently caress, right? Because < 40 + 20(?) = :(

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Toast Museum posted:

For what it's worth, Ty Franck and Daniel Abraham claim to have decided in advance what the Protomolecule builders' technology is and isn't capable of, which should cut down on "Bones invents telepathy drug, never uses it again"-type goofiness.

I like the line where they see Eros inexplicably move and Naomi goes "well its giving off tons of heat so at least some laws of physics still work"

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

T-man posted:

I'm working through Book 5 and I have to ask, and this can be a one-letter reply, but Alex and Bobby never gently caress, right? Because < 40 + 20(?) = :(

n

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Ages of some of the other major characters are less specific as far as I can tell. Avasarala is an old grandma but I don't think they're more specific than that. Bobbie is a gunnery sergeant, and the internet tells me the typical time to earn that rank is 15 years, so assuming she joined up at 18 and the MMC is similar to the US military she should be early-mid 30s at her introduction.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Book spoilers, but Alex is actually over a thousand years old. Even Avasarala is way too young for him, let alone Bobbie.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Cas Anvar's age isn't listed anywhere on the internet. He's the man from Earth.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Toast Museum posted:

For what it's worth, Ty Franck and Daniel Abraham claim to have decided in advance what the Protomolecule builders' technology is and isn't capable of, which should cut down on "Bones invents telepathy drug, never uses it again"-type goofiness.

Yeah I mean, the way I interpreted the PM tech is like a Bronze Age civilization trying to make sense of a jumbo jet. It's not magic, it follows physical laws and principles like anything else, they're just so far beyond what we currently understand that we can really only make sense of it with clumsy analogies and correlations that might be like 10% accurate at best. I'm glad the writers decided to constrain themselves at the start and avoid the urge to make the PM a deus ex machina though.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Cojawfee posted:

Cas Anvar's age isn't listed anywhere on the internet. He's the man from Earth.

Wrong, he's from Mariner Valley!

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

McSpanky posted:

Yeah I mean, the way I interpreted the PM tech is like a Bronze Age civilization trying to make sense of a jumbo jet. It's not magic, it follows physical laws and principles like anything else, they're just so far beyond what we currently understand that we can really only make sense of it with clumsy analogies and correlations that might be like 10% accurate at best.

That's all fine and good, so long as we're okay accepting that means it's the writers using it as magic when convenient. Which I'm okay with! I just struggle to call the show hard sci-fi when there's literal zombie episodes.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

You're presuming a consistent definition of hard sci-fi. There's a spectrum from only, 100% exact sticking to science in all things, to sticking to science for the most part with one or two exceptions, which are often something to allow FTL travel. I'd say most people define hard vs soft as hard is trying to stick to science while soft makes no real attempt at it, like Star Wars. The Expanse is easily the most hard sci-fi thing I've seen on TV, I'd be curious to know if there's anything else (I'm not counting alt-history things like For All Mankind). The only buy in you need is that a species billions of years more advanced than humans is able to make technology humans do not even begin to understand, which is not a big one for me.

E: I forgot there's a whole other school of thought that hard sci-fi is about science and soft sci-fi is about people, regardless of anything else. So even the world's most scientifically accurate story would be soft sci-fi if it were politics focused.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Jan 20, 2020

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Anywhere here's some season 4 Rocinante paint scheme concept art.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Grand Fromage posted:

You're presuming a consistent definition of hard sci-fi. There's a spectrum from only, 100% exact sticking to science in all things, to sticking to science for the most part with one or two exceptions, which are often something to allow FTL travel. I'd say most people define hard vs soft as hard is trying to stick to science while soft makes no real attempt at it, like Star Wars.

I don't think this is the distinction most people would make. Star Wars, for example, is widely considered to be space fantasy - something far enough removed from sci-fi that it's not, really. When I think of "soft" sci-fi, I think of Doctor Who, Blake's 7, and Star Trek. When I think of "hard" sci-fi, I think of things like the Martian, or even something like Blade Runner. Maybe it is just me, too, but the Expanse has always felt like a "dark fantasy" version of sci-fi - real-world-esque, gritty politics, set in a world where fantasy effectively exists.

Grand Fromage posted:

E: I forgot there's a whole other school of thought that hard sci-fi is about science and soft sci-fi is about people, regardless of anything else. So even the world's most scientifically accurate story would be soft sci-fi if it were politics focused.

I think this might be worth acknowledging for this discussion, if only because the Expanse has definitely - and rightly - chosen to focus on the politics and characters involved over the details of a science miracle multiple times.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
It would be one thing if the humans were doing this stuff without any explanation of how it would work, but it's totally different when even the humans don't understand what's going on. I think the only thing in this show that might make it a fantasy is the Epstein drive where we don't really know what it is. Fuel pellets go into a chamber, they explode, lots of power happens. Everything else is realistic. They don't have magic subspace communication, everything is recordings being sent back and forth. There's no warp drive, the epstein drive still takes a considerable amount of time to get places. The protomolecule stuff is just super advanced beyond our understanding. The PM race built a planet sized machine to do something that we don't understand. Some other race shot this machine with a weird bullet that we also don't understand and can't comprehend.

The best explanation is like what's been in the thread, and that's like someone from the present goes to the past. Or even groups from the same time period where one is more advanced. When Europeans arrived in the west, pointed a stick at one of the natives, made a loud sound and then the person mysteriously drops dead, they probably thought that was magic at first. Or if some logging crew in a rain forest runs into a previously uncontacted primitive people. They might be confused at the mechanical monsters that belch smoke, make lots of noise, and rip the trees down, but it's not magic.

The Expanse to me is hard sci-fi because what the humans are doing is something we can comprehend existing in the near future. The PM stuff is clearly some sort of technology. We just don't understand how it works yet.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Beamed posted:

I don't think this is the distinction most people would make.

I disagree, but that's okay. I think a lot of old school SF fans would agree with you but my experience is those opinions are a minority.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
I'm rewatching S4 with my wife and I love how Amos calls Murtry Marty, Murty, Murphy, and Morty before he finally stops loving around in the bar scene.

drewhead
Jun 22, 2002

Cojawfee posted:

There's no warp drive, the epstein drive still takes a considerable amount of time to get places.

The Epstein drive isn't an advance in speed, it's an advance in efficiency. How long it takes to get from point A to point B is governed by the stresses the human body is capable of withstanding. I don't recall them talking about it much in the series, but the book there are still considerable ships running around with the old style tourch drives. Those slingshot ships I believe are all pre Epstein.

That change in efficiency means that one needs to carry much less reaction mass and therefore getting places is loads cheaper. That might translate into constant acceleration where pre Epstein one might go on the float , but it's not some magic speed thing. I don't think it's any less sci-fi than the older tourch engines. I'd be pointing a finger at the drug cocktail to make my argument before engines. We can't do any of those things today and really have no idea how they work, but non of them seem like they wouldn't be reasonable advances humans could technologically make.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Blade Runner with its implausible replicants and the physics-breaking antigravity cars is hard sci-fi, but the Expanse is fantasy. OK, I guess.

For instance, I have a bunch of books from Stephen Baxter, that are considered hard scifi, yet they have wormholes pretty much akin to the ring system in the Expanse. So...

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Jan 20, 2020

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Who cares, watch the drat show

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:
The hard sci-fi, soft sci-fi and science fantasy distinctions are extremely subjective and some part of it is based in 'I like this story, I do not like that one.' Just look at Dune, where you'll find people being able to make strong arguments for any one of those three sub-genres.

Norton the First
Dec 4, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Horizon Burning posted:

The hard sci-fi, soft sci-fi and science fantasy distinctions are extremely subjective and some part of it is based in 'I like this story, I do not like that one.' Just look at Dune, where you'll find people being able to make strong arguments for any one of those three sub-genres.

Well...two of the three.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I only like my fantasy hard and my sci-fi harder.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
I get hard watching this show and reading the books, does that count?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

TraderStav posted:

I get hard watching this show and reading the books, does that count?

Norton the First
Dec 4, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

drewhead posted:

The Epstein drive isn't an advance in speed, it's an advance in efficiency. How long it takes to get from point A to point B is governed by the stresses the human body is capable of withstanding. I don't recall them talking about it much in the series, but the book there are still considerable ships running around with the old style tourch drives. Those slingshot ships I believe are all pre Epstein.

That change in efficiency means that one needs to carry much less reaction mass and therefore getting places is loads cheaper. That might translate into constant acceleration where pre Epstein one might go on the float , but it's not some magic speed thing. I don't think it's any less sci-fi than the older tourch engines. I'd be pointing a finger at the drug cocktail to make my argument before engines. We can't do any of those things today and really have no idea how they work, but non of them seem like they wouldn't be reasonable advances humans could technologically make.

From a semi-erect sci-fi perspective, the Epstein drive is essential, because without a miracle sub-light engine, the concept of intrastellar trade doesn't make sense. Escaping a gravity well would be really costly otherwise!

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

If you want to read a lot of hypothetical words about the Epstein drive, this is good: http://www.projectrho.com/public_html/rocket/enginelist2.php#epstein

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Invalid Validation posted:

I only like my fantasy hard and my sci-fi harder.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCqjR1gHyIQ

RangerKarl
Oct 7, 2013

Grand Fromage posted:

If you want to read a lot of hypothetical words about the Epstein drive, this is good: http://www.projectrho.com/public_html/rocket/enginelist2.php#epstein

the best part about that site is reading up about all the crazy NASA/JPL ideas they have, I don't even know if those are feasible but boy they sure do sound sure of themselves.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Nail Rat posted:

I'm rewatching S4 with my wife and I love how Amos calls Murtry Marty, Murty, Murphy, and Morty before he finally stops loving around in the bar scene.

Yeah, that was great. Amos just starts taking him seriously.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I guess the season was a little slow cause the books they’re adapting aren’t particularly good to begin with? Some book person go head and minor spoil me, is this really the end of Miller?

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Hard Scifi is scifi that sticks hard to the rules of science and when it gets to speculation, it keeps it consist and following those same rules. Soft scifi is stuff that plays fast and loose with the rules of science, and is generally consistent in it's internal logic, even if that logic doesn't take into consideration. For instance, the gravity produced from the epsteins constant acceleration (and the lack thereof on the float), is a consistent point in the Expanse, but in, say, Iain M Banks' culture novels, they've got all kinds of poo poo. FTL, artificial gravity, displacers, CAM, AI, effectors, field technology, insane levels of biological manipulation, hyperspace of two varieties, and OCPs. Some of which are, y'know, potentially possible, but most of which is just wholesale fiction, for the point of the story and setting. Although it's consistent, and very, very good and you should go and read those books with a dram of whisky. If you accept a couple of assumptions from the expanse, like the highly efficient epstein drive, and super advanced space tech, it stays pretty hard, albeit not angry, blue veined, diamond cutter hard.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Nail Rat posted:

Amos is great at trolling people to their face.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

StashAugustine posted:

I like the line where they see Eros inexplicably move and Naomi goes "well its giving off tons of heat so at least some laws of physics still work"

I would legit watch an entire episode devoted to earth and the belters seeing Eros move and running around waving their hands frantically, screaming "oh my preconceived notions about reality!"

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013
Do the books provide more info about the guy who invented the Epstein Drive? Did he kill himself or not?

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~

TommyGun85 posted:

Do the books provide more info about the guy who invented the Epstein Drive? Did he kill himself or not?

Here's the full short story

But yeah, he basically dies from his discovery because he can't slow down.

CommanderApaul
Aug 30, 2003

It's amazing their hands can support such awesome.

TommyGun85 posted:

Theres a novella that was roughly adapted for the show. He died in his ship, which continued accelerating at 10g+ to a significant fraction of the speed of light (5% or so) and is still visible with very high power telescopes from the inner planets. His wife found the plans on his computer and Mars shared them with Earth in exchange for their independence.

Drone Jett
Feb 21, 2017

by Fluffdaddy
College Slice

TommyGun85 posted:

Epstein didn't kill himself. :gethill:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013

pixelbaron posted:

Here's the full short story

But yeah, he basically dies from his discovery because he can't slow down.

it was a joke. Drone Jett got it.