Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

MiddleOne posted:

Ohohoho,

Super Mario Odyssey - It's No Masterpiece
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYJx5xt2cB0

Breath of the Wild - Not Enough Zelda
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T15-xfUr8z4

To put it simply, Joseph Anderson is obsessed with completion. He will ruin a game for himself playing games in ways which was never intended. Even though he hates it. To the bitter end.

These Videos are like Ulililila videos if Uli was an extreme bore instead of a chill guy. What I'm saying is this sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Also honestly I feel like some of the names getting changed is on localizers being WAY too scared about things sometimes, like you can call 'Echoes' Echoes, it's A Word first and foremost, why the gently caress change it to 'Reverb' because A Song is also named Echoes when IT'S ALSO JUST A WORD, you were able to call 'Polnareff' Polnareff still despite Michel Polnareff existing, come on.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
"Good": Playing all of FO4's branches in the plot and catching how bad various things acts and inconsistencies in the story (but its still FO4)

Bad: Insisting you get each and every single collectable and then saying the game is bad cause it gave you the option to do that.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Trojan Kaiju posted:

The localization can be hit or miss but Filthy Acts at a Reasonable Price is an incredible stand name.

I'm still peeved that the PS4 game localised Nat King Cole as "Nuts N. Bolts" instead of the far better fan-translated name "Nut King Call".

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Joseph seems like an alright guy but definitely has an ocd thing going on that both works for and against him.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Fabricated posted:

Joseph seems like an alright guy but definitely has an ocd thing going on that both works for and against him.
I'm sure he finds making those long, extremely effort-intensive videos for stuff like that BOTW/Odyssey video fulfilling but he just seems to be having so much more fun and enjoyment when he streams compared to those clinical videos.

I went back through his secondary channel's stream video archives and he started out supposedly not being "an anime guy" and around the time he played Undertale he began the dark descent down into anime games

someone even convinced him to play Recettear, which he apparently loved, and led to the incredible saga of him trying to get people to Buy My loving Statues:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OsyWfiyOrEQ&hd=1

It's the video that got my attention drawn to him and I'm glad for it, his complete playthroughs, the ones I've seen so far(Undertale and Doki Doki Literature Club) are pretty fantastic. though he did miss some major plot elements in Undertale which he then held against the game, which kinda sucked, but whatever. Yet another person who completely misunderstood Alphys's character arc, sigh.

FoldableHuman
Mar 26, 2017

Shinji2015 posted:

I'm playing through Sekiro for the first time right now (currently stuck on the Demon of Hatred), and while it's not a Souls game, I hadn't connected that thematic point with DS until now. I've been avoiding any lore dives until I beat the game and see what I missed.

I had mostly spent my playthrough going "so Miyazaki moved on to using Blade of the Immortal as inspiration, huh."

Yeah, From games have a running common theme of corruption and the pursuit of immortality in the frame of societal institutions, namely government and religion.

Basically trying to exist forever, whether you're a person, a church, or a kingdom, and clinging to power and relevance long after your time has passed, will eventually consume you and everyone around you, becoming the singular thing that your world revolves around.

In a much more direct way than you'd expect the Souls trilogy argues that death is just as important for nations as it is for people.

Hungry
Jul 14, 2006

Sibyl Disobedience posted:

I want to complete my other project first (which sucks because voice recording and video editing are emotionally draining and boring compared to writing about this), but after that I do plan on publishing the Soulsborne project. I'll probably even release it uncompleted, half because I think it's too massive to figure out myself and maybe it'll inspire other people to answer the soapstone, and half because releasing something in an incomplete state is also thematically appropriate.

Please do! Good luck. Don't go hollow.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

You have a heart of gold. Don't let them take it from you.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Yardbomb posted:

Also honestly I feel like some of the names getting changed is on localizers being WAY too scared about things sometimes, like you can call 'Echoes' Echoes, it's A Word first and foremost, why the gently caress change it to 'Reverb' because A Song is also named Echoes when IT'S ALSO JUST A WORD, you were able to call 'Polnareff' Polnareff still despite Michel Polnareff existing, come on.
Meanwhile Suzi Q gets changed to Suzi Quatro.

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

Captain Invictus posted:

I'm sure he finds making those long, extremely effort-intensive videos for stuff like that BOTW/Odyssey video fulfilling but he just seems to be having so much more fun and enjoyment when he streams compared to those clinical videos.

I went back through his secondary channel's stream video archives and he started out supposedly not being "an anime guy" and around the time he played Undertale he began the dark descent down into anime games

someone even convinced him to play Recettear, which he apparently loved, and led to the incredible saga of him trying to get people to Buy My loving Statues:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OsyWfiyOrEQ&hd=1

It's the video that got my attention drawn to him and I'm glad for it, his complete playthroughs, the ones I've seen so far(Undertale and Doki Doki Literature Club) are pretty fantastic. though he did miss some major plot elements in Undertale which he then held against the game, which kinda sucked, but whatever. Yet another person who completely misunderstood Alphys's character arc, sigh.

what did he miss in undertale

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Eschenique posted:

Likewise Death Standing. A game where even your bloody shoes suffers durability loss is an example of Kojima without anyone to reign him in.

this owns tho?

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
Replacing boots is a very small thing in that game and you get the ability to make new boots for dirt cheap early on. Plus people online will shove extra pairs of boots in share lockers a lot. It's not really a big deal either way.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2YxCBoGfn8

Baywatching!

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

I want to complete my other project first (which sucks because voice recording and video editing are emotionally draining and boring compared to writing about this), but after that I do plan on publishing the Soulsborne project. I'll probably even release it uncompleted, half because I think it's too massive to figure out myself and maybe it'll inspire other people to answer the soapstone, and half because releasing something in an incomplete state is also thematically appropriate.

(Good luck on your video! I'm looking forward to it.)

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Casey Finnigan posted:

Replacing boots is a very small thing in that game and you get the ability to make new boots for dirt cheap early on. Plus people online will shove extra pairs of boots in share lockers a lot. It's not really a big deal either way.

Replace boots with swords, and try to convince people of this with regard to Breath of the Wild.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

Ghostlight posted:

Like a cargo cult Darmok and Jalad at Tanagra - you recite the right lines at a party and people politely laugh.

cline, his references literal

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
Riley J Dennis looks at how She-Ra makes its villains as interesting as its heros:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sVwwBZS5dtc

Ryan Hollinger looks at The Nightingale, a revenge film that explores the assumptions of the genre:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YoyeFaT5PNw

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

FoldableHuman posted:

Yeah, From games have a running common theme of corruption and the pursuit of immortality in the frame of societal institutions, namely government and religion.

Basically trying to exist forever, whether you're a person, a church, or a kingdom, and clinging to power and relevance long after your time has passed, will eventually consume you and everyone around you, becoming the singular thing that your world revolves around.

In a much more direct way than you'd expect the Souls trilogy argues that death is just as important for nations as it is for people.

Or, to put it more simply, Fromsoft games are extremely Buddhist, and Miyazaki just decided to spell it out for anyone who wasn't paying attention in Sekiro. This isn't even speculation - Miyazaki himself has mentioned his interest in Buddhist religious texts and general literature. Pretty much everyone in a Soulsborne game is wrestling with the three marks of existence - suffering, material impermanence, and spiritual impermanence. I actually think they might be one of the most overtly religious major franchises in gaming.

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

https://twitter.com/NeilNevins/status/1219039596463501314

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

I wonder how much of that video is the two badly butchering the opening chant of Circle of Life for a joke?

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

For context, twitter was full of a bunch of takes that MST3K is actually bad because it made looking down on movies cool and paved the way for your Cinema Sins and the rest. I think the quoted tweet makes the most sense in that they made it so seemless that every drunk idiot in a theater thought they could do it too.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

this. i have always found humorous commentary of a movie funnier than out and out riffing of a movie and MST3k are the only funny riffers i have seen. also why pick lion king. its pretty good movie and there isnt really anything to laugh at. like you could do humorous comentary about it, but even that wouldn't be that funny. Doug and his brother are just really bad at humor and bad at picking movies to riff.

Sibyl Disobedience
Mar 16, 2018

A Fire Keeper's soul is a draw for humanity, and held within their bosoms, below just a thin layer of skin, are swarms of humanity that writhe and squirm.

JordanKai posted:

(Good luck on your video! I'm looking forward to it.)

quote:

I've seen your kind, time and time again.
Every fleeing man must be caught. Every secret must be unearthed.
Such is the conceit of the self-proclaimed seeker of truth.
But in the end, you lack the stomach.
For the agony you'll bring upon yourself..."

So as one final treat, there's a huge theme in the Souls series that none of you have touched upon, so here's a little hint. (hopefully the images don't make this post too long)

Bloodborne has an item called Blood Dreg that you can use to gain insight or rank up with the Vileblood covenant. This is its icon. Notice any unexpected symbolism in it?

It's sperm.

So given that, we have the other insight consumable, the Madman's Knowledge that completes the dichotomy between the two currency systems, Blood Echoes and Insight. Given the Blood Dreg reveal, what parallel symbolism do we have here?

It's a skull birthing the baby Great One from the Moon Presence ending, completing the cycle of conception.

"But," you say, "that's Bloodborne, the game where you munch umbilical cords as a tasty snack. Surely this doesn't carry over to Dark Souls."

https://twitter.com/Nathonas1/status/694626019353866240

So what's the Dark Soul that Gael has been after this whole time?

And one last accompaniment to all of this

quote:

4Gamer: By the way, about the title of DARK SOULS, when I met From Software last year, I heard that it would be "Dark Ring". How did you become the current DARK SOULS?
Miyazaki: The Dark Ring was called an anus in British slang.

That cheeky fucker knew exactly what he was doing.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Unlucky7 posted:

For context, twitter was full of a bunch of takes that MST3K is actually bad because it made looking down on movies cool and paved the way for your Cinema Sins and the rest. I think the quoted tweet makes the most sense in that they made it so seemless that every drunk idiot in a theater thought they could do it too.

except they didnt. laughing at bad/ok B movies is fine. i dont get how people think humor is bad now and i dont mean in the "hurr i cant say mean poo poo about minorities" but in the "humor is good at criticizing and pointing things out and it takes the strength out of bad things". humor also tends to descalate stuff when talking about issues. idk.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

are you saying that gael wants to eat rear end?

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

Ghostlight posted:

are you saying that gael wants to eat rear end?

Who doesn't?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Takoluka posted:

I am of the opinion that Araki's naming schemes for Stands is extremely stupid, because it resulted in hilariously terrible localizations of the names. The Tarot naming scheme is pretty good, but I cannot take a UFO just openly called "American Idiot" seriously. Also, "he's 'GioGio' so it counts" is just so dumb lol

I'm garbage at reading pronunciations but it looks right to me. If Jordan and Gordan can both be pronounced the same or differently then :shrug:

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
EDIT: Actually this is going to end up as another dumb fight in a thread full of them, and I will be the change I want to see in the world

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Jan 20, 2020

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Unlucky7 posted:

i always felt mst3k was more about making the best out of bad stuff rather than solely tearing it down. giving the weird monsters funny names, writing and singing whole songs about characters or their actors, etc. it could be mean for sure but it wasn't just about that.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Takoluka posted:

I am of the opinion that Araki's naming schemes for Stands is extremely stupid, because it resulted in hilariously terrible localizations of the names. The Tarot naming scheme is pretty good, but I cannot take a UFO just openly called "American Idiot" seriously. Also, "he's 'GioGio' so it counts" is just so dumb lol

Who told you that was a real stand and not a fan stand

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

JoJo fans don't lie about things!

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
I like the jojo naming convention just because it not only gets kids these days to listen to the music on youtube and learn about it, but to also bomb the comments sections with jojo references.

Fleetwood Mac's Tusk is my favorite instance of this, second favorite is Bowie's Scary Monsters

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Unlucky7 posted:

For context, twitter was full of a bunch of takes that MST3K is actually bad because it made looking down on movies cool and paved the way for your Cinema Sins and the rest.

Twitter's fuckin dumb and looking down on actually bad-bad movies is in fact good.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

CYBEReris posted:

i always felt mst3k was more about making the best out of bad stuff rather than solely tearing it down. giving the weird monsters funny names, writing and singing whole songs about characters or their actors, etc. it could be mean for sure but it wasn't just about that.

It's the same reason that Best of the Worst got out of its midseason slump when they started digging into what the movie wanted to do and how it hilariously failed. Just making GBS threads on things isn't as fun as digging into why they're bad and making your own fun.

Also it didn't get linked here, but RLM did a Best of the Worst Spotlight on Wicked World a few days back and it's something to see. It may legitimately be the worst "movie" they've looked at, right up there with Dangerous Men or Ryan's Babe.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
People constantly fall back on "Kojima should just make movies lol" and it really proves they don't understand his games very well. Not to say that every last one is a perfect synthesis of gameplay and story, but it's clear he cares a great deal about both and people tend not to give him credit for that.

Eschenique posted:

Likewise Death Standing. A game where even your bloody shoes suffers durability loss is an example of Kojima without anyone to reign him in.

That's the best example of excess you can come up with? Death Stranding is a literal walking simulator, that's not really any more or less out of place than all of the other simulationist aspects. The fact that delivery logistics is a pain in the rear end also stands in contrast to how great it is to have the help of fellow players on the network setting up ladders and ziplines and roads to ease the burden. (Almost like the gameplay is communicating some kind of theme.:monocle:)

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.
Thanks for all the comments about the Soulsborne theming. I think I need to do some deep dives of my own, because I'm finding it all fascinating.

So as one final treat, there's a huge theme in the Souls series that none of you have touched upon, so here's a little hint. (hopefully the images don't make this post too long)

Bloodborne has an item called Blood Dreg that you can use to gain insight or rank up with the Vileblood covenant. This is its icon. Notice any unexpected symbolism in it?

It's sperm.

Not gonna lie, seeing the image of a Blood Dreg blown up like that, the first thing I noticed that there's also a face in there, and I'm now trying to connect that with what you said.

quote:

So given that, we have the other insight consumable, the Madman's Knowledge that completes the dichotomy between the two currency systems, Blood Echoes and Insight. Given the Blood Dreg reveal, what parallel symbolism do we have here?

It's a skull birthing the baby Great One from the Moon Presence ending, completing the cycle of conception.

"But," you say, "that's Bloodborne, the game where you munch umbilical cords as a tasty snack. Surely this doesn't carry over to Dark Souls."

https://twitter.com/Nathonas1/status/694626019353866240

So what's the Dark Soul that Gael has been after this whole time?

And one last accompaniment to all of this

That cheeky fucker knew exactly what he was doing.

Seriously, that's fantastic. I'm really looking forward to you releasing your project in the future :)

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
Drawing a line from MST3K to Cinema Sins doesn't make much sense to me. If anything I'd say it more stems from Kevin Smith and/or Joss Whedon and the whole late 90s-early'00s "deconstruct everything with insider meta-jokes" media trends.

Laterite fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Jan 20, 2020

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
Bloodborne in particular has a huge focus on women's bodies and traditionally female bodily functions, and the fear and shame societies, social traditions, and religious institutions can place on them. It's fair to say that the wider theme is reproduction and such in general (see the blood dreg image above), but even most of that is focused towards things like infertility, miscarriage, nursing, and so on. A portion of this is even super overt (for a souls game), between the nightmare of menses and one of the special blood vials you can get being almost undeniably period blood. I'd argue that you could probably correctly read the vast majority of the blood theming in bloodborne as menstrual or birth-related rather than any-sorta-blood related (but not all of it), but I haven't done the legwork to really synthesize it to say for sure. Though I suspect if you really dug in a lot of this theming, particularly if you dissect the religious aspect, is also probably related to a lot of animist and non-Abrahamic religious traditions wrt sexual duality/polarity*.

I know at least some of this probably seems pretty fair or obvious to most of the people here, but I've seen people get adamant people that famous Apolitical game Bloodborne cannot have anything to say about this stuff and people just got 2spooked by Mergo's Wet Nurse and want to make their apolitical game for gamer men about women.

* Well, a lot of Abrahamic traditions including Christianity contain this stuff, but it varies wildly on sect and most modern Western sects aren't heavy on it. Conservative Judaism in particular has probably more of it than most. It gets heavier if you go into the esoteric/mystic traditions that aren't as common nowadays.

Linear Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Jan 20, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

Yardbomb posted:

Twitter's fuckin dumb and looking down on actually bad-bad movies is in fact good.

Twitter probably remembers that MST3K morphed into Rifftrax and once freed from their limitations of public domain movies or junk they could pay $1.50 for the rights for, they immediately dropped the "bad movies" thing in favor of throwing rocks at anything that would get them the most attention