Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Not to derail this any further, but the new Power Rangers comics are pretty rad: Jason, Trini and Zack didn't actually go to some peace conference in Europe but actually became OMEGA RANGERS and patrol dangerous areas across the universe. Also there's this dude called the Blue Emissary and his costume just constantly shifts between different ranger suits. I'd watch a movie about that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
In L5R there was Matsu Hiroru the white ninja.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Safety Factor posted:

How are none of these Miami Connection?

I was wondering the same thing. Big lack of Miami Connection love in here.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

hiddenriverninja posted:

Not to derail this any further, but the new Power Rangers comics are pretty rad: Jason, Trini and Zack didn't actually go to some peace conference in Europe but actually became OMEGA RANGERS and patrol dangerous areas across the universe. Also there's this dude called the Blue Emissary and his costume just constantly shifts between different ranger suits. I'd watch a movie about that.

The Power Ranger comics have been legit for at least like a decade and if the supposed reboot is gonna happen then they would be well served to just adapt some of those stories.

Forget doing another intro/origin story, just cast an interesting group, stick with the legacy costumes and jump right into the Shattered Grid stuff with the multiverse, Ranger Slayer, Drakkon, etc.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Colin Farrel near where The Batman is filmed.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

The MSJ posted:

Colin Farrel near where The Batman is filmed.

It was confirmed a few weeks ago that he's playing the Penguin: https://screenrant.com/batman-movie-2021-director-confirms-colin-farrell-penguin/

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

What the gently caress?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Snowman_McK posted:

What the gently caress?

Could work well enough. Gotham had a skinny Penguin practically as the main character and was mad popular.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

According to io9, Doctor Strange 2 is still on to begin filming in May... even though it still does not have a director attached. In case anyone is still in doubt as to how little the director matters in the Marvel studio system.

I always felt a bit confused that Nolan never felt interested in using the Penguin. A villain who is basically a rich politician heir seems like he's tailor-made for the Nolan approach.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Chairman Capone posted:

I always felt a bit confused that Nolan never felt interested in using the Penguin. A villain who is basically a rich politician heir seems like he's tailor-made for the Nolan approach.

Where is the challenge in that? A mercenary luchador, now that is a challenge.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Could work well enough. Gotham had a skinny Penguin practically as the main character and was mad popular.

Pretty much the only reason I even watched Gotham and I still dropped it around season 2-ish, I think. Is it worth picking up again?

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Freakazoid_ posted:

Pretty much the only reason I even watched Gotham and I still dropped it around season 2-ish, I think. Is it worth picking up again?

the big bad of season 2 dies from penguin and his head lackey literally blowing him up with a rocket launcher. not blowing him up in a helicopter, not blowing him up in a car, just straight up pointing a rocket launcher at a dude and firing

gotham gets beautifully absurd

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
I only watched a bit of Gotham, but the appeal of it made a lot more sense to me than any of the CW shows.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Ghost Leviathan posted:

They stuck him in a fat suit for the finale

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Bogus Adventure posted:

They stuck him in a fat suit for the finale

now i'm glad it got cancelled

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

LesterGroans posted:

I only watched a bit of Gotham, but the appeal of it made a lot more sense to me than any of the CW shows.

Same

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Gotham has Romes showrunner behind it. That is basically the quality difference right there.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Gotham gets kinda weird with stuff and tbh I appreciate it for doing so.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Skeezy posted:

Gotham gets kinda weird with stuff and tbh I appreciate it for doing so.

by episode 4 you have a guy murdering bad politicians by handcuffing them to weather balloons and before the end of season 1 you have james gordon's ex-wife going from the worst first date of all time to murdering her parents and realizing 'holy poo poo, murdering people is awesome!'

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Chairman Capone posted:

According to io9, Doctor Strange 2 is still on to begin filming in May... even though it still does not have a director attached. In case anyone is still in doubt as to how little the director matters in the Marvel studio system.

I think that would fall into 'too obvious' for Nolan, and besides, DeVito's Penguin would be a very hard act to follow to say the least, and he clearly wanted to take a different tack from the 90s movies.

Brother Entropy posted:

by episode 4 you have a guy murdering bad politicians by handcuffing them to weather balloons and before the end of season 1 you have james gordon's ex-wife going from the worst first date of all time to murdering her parents and realizing 'holy poo poo, murdering people is awesome!'

Yeah, it gets uneven but the overall tone is just the most ridiculous poo poo and it works great. It's sometimes like any other cop show taken completely round the bend, and works because, as I think becomes something of a catchphrase in the show, 'Only in Gotham'.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Chairman Capone posted:

Wasn't there a long running rumor of Philip Seymour Hoffman playing basically the Penguin in Dark Knight Rises? A portly arms dealer type or something.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Also just want to be clear that if the Penguin is in a live action movie again just have DeVito play him again no matter what direction/style they take the character in.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Neo Rasa posted:

Also just want to be clear that if the Penguin is in a live action movie again just have DeVito play him again no matter what direction/style they take the character in.

I want to see DeVito play a new villain: THE TRASHMAN

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Freakazoid_ posted:

Gotham's first season is unwatchable, because they couldn't decide if they wanted to lean into the Burton aesthetic, the Nolan aesthetic, the animated series or the '60s TV show. The second season is still pretty bad but it picks up for its last six episodes.

Season 3 just goes full-on bugnuts apeshit insane and it doesn't lift off the pedal until the series finale is over.

Neo Rasa posted:

Wasn't there a long running rumor of Philip Seymour Hoffman playing basically the Penguin in Dark Knight Rises? A portly arms dealer type or something.

That was just fan-casting, along the lines of the "rumors" that Neil Patrick Harris was going to be The Riddler in Rises.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Man, I don't mind Neil Patrick Harris but that would just be a lame re-tread of Carrey's Riddler.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
I'm not real familiar with the guy who has been cast as the Riddler in the upcoming film (Paul Dano) so if anyone has any strong opinions either way feel free to clue me in.

Edit: apparently Jonah Hill was in strong contention for the role at some point

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

I'm not real familiar with the guy who has been cast as the Riddler in the upcoming film (Paul Dano) so if anyone has any strong opinions either way feel free to clue me in.

He’s real loving good and you have some outstanding movies to add to your watch list.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

All you need to see to know he can pull off The Riddler is There Will Be Blood. Not that his character in There Will Be Blood is particularly similar to The Riddler, but I think it shows he could pretty easily slide into whatever comic book villain role they asked him to.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

He's really, really, really loving good.

Even in Okja, which I felt fell off a cliff after a certain point, he's a standout.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Edit: apparently Jonah Hill was in strong contention for the role at some point

Paul Dano is great, check out There Will Be Blood and Swiss Army Man if you want to see him playing unhinged characters.

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =

Chairman Capone posted:

I mean he made Occupy Wall Street a bunch of murdering terrorists in Rises so I’m not quite sure you’re correct on that thought.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Sounds like JJ Abrams' Bad Robot is going to do Justice League Dark.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

The MSJ posted:

God, I hate that name.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Ghost Leviathan posted:

God, I hate that name.

The concept is hardly any better, though maybe I'm just sour about the incredibly bad animated movie.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
*bangs desk* Detective Chimp! Detective Chimp!

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Paul Dano is great at making you hate his characters guts. He plays shitheads so well.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Vintersorg posted:

Paul Dano is great at making you hate his characters guts. He plays shitheads so well.

The ending of Swiss Army Man is wild.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

The MSJ posted:

JJ is just going to gently caress up all of my favorite things, isn't he? Can't wait for him to resurrect seaQuest.

Vintersorg posted:

Paul Dano is great in general. I don't think he can beat Cory Michael Smith's portrayal of Nigma in Gotham, but I look forward to see him try.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Sudden Loud Noise posted:

The ending of Swiss Army Man is wild.

Goddamn what a wild ride that was as it dawns on you what is actually happening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Swiss Army Man weirds me out because it just makes me think of the Men in Black cartoon where J briefly gets superpowers from a swiss army knife (long story)