Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

QuarkMartial posted:

Are those Good Hurt ones in Louisiana hot sauce sized bottles?

I think I got that set a couple years back, and I really enjoyed them.

Come to think of it yeah, they look exactly the same. Do you recall if the ghost pepper sauce was any good? I'm kinda basic compared to most here and it would literally be the first one I've ever tried.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
Figured this might be the best place for this question, I live in a hot wing dead zone. Literally my only option is BW3's who keep raising prices and the quality of my local one his extremely spotty and one other local place that the wings have been dry every time I went.

For those of you who have an air fryer, how good are wings cooked in them? Most of the ones I've seen looked like a pretty awkward shape to do wings.

I've got like 6 new hot sauces to try, but haven't got around to it yet. I did try D'Elidas Chipotle and Picante Chombo. The Chipotle tastes almost exactly like the Tobasco Chipotle except maybe a tad hotter. The Chombo is pretty good as well, kind of mustardy, perfect heat for my tastes and cheap.

One other sauce I slept on was Queen Majesty Charcoal Ghost. When I first tried it, I didn't get any plum flavor it claimed to have and shelved it. ( Yes I did shake it as good as I could have. ) Months later as I got further into the bottle I think I started liking it more than their Red Hab & Black Coffee. I don't know if it aged a bit or if all of the flavor was stuck on the bottom, but it was pretty great.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark
Does anyone smoke the peppers or garlic for their sauces? I'm thinking about trying a pepper ferment and adding in smoked garlic when I make the sauce.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull
My favorite recipe so far has fermented habs and applewood smoked jalapenos plus other stuff. Components are fermented not the whole thing; honestly I'm not sure jalapenos would ferment after smoking but might be worth a try some time. I literally just use a BBQ smoker.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Quiet Feet posted:

Random hot sauces I picked up for Christmas.

Thus far all I've tried are the Green Amazon pepper sauce and the Picamas. Had the Picamas on some leftover Chinese veggies which might not be the ideal vehicle for it but even the little dab I had separately wasn't that great. Texture is really thick and kinda creamy, but just a tiny bit chalky too somehow. The heat was low and the flavor was just... odd.

I picked up a bottle of Picamas recently as well and I pretty much agree with your description of it. I think the texture thing is due to there being wheat flour in it and the odd, kind of sweet flavor on the back end. The heat is ok, probably around jalapeņo levels, but the texture and aftertaste is bizarre

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

katkillad2 posted:

... the wings have been dry every time I went.

My wing game went up after watching a Chef John vid where he points out wings aren't really dark meat and can be cooked relatively quickly. Obvious in retrospect but I had been overcooking wings and drying them out. I say all that to say this, if you have a regular oven just use that, crank the heat, and you can make a tray of wings in 20-25 minutes. Melt a stick of butter with Frank's, toss the wings in it and you are in high heaven. I use a rub on the wings for more flavor.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

mekilljoydammit posted:

My favorite recipe so far has fermented habs and applewood smoked jalapenos plus other stuff. Components are fermented not the whole thing; honestly I'm not sure jalapenos would ferment after smoking but might be worth a try some time. I literally just use a BBQ smoker.

The plan was to ferment the peppers and smoke the garlic seperate. I had the same concerns about fermenting after smoking. What's your recipe look like? I want to try all this with store bought stuff so I dont waste my garden haul in the spring.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Atticus_1354 posted:

The plan was to ferment the peppers and smoke the garlic seperate. I had the same concerns about fermenting after smoking. What's your recipe look like? I want to try all this with store bought stuff so I dont waste my garden haul in the spring.

I'd have to find my notebook for proportions, but it's all storebought. Smoked jalapenos, fermented habaneros, pineapple, garlic, key lime juice, vinegar, curry paste. Worked that recipe out before I had a garden, will probably be trying some other stuff now that I have more access to peppers.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

mekilljoydammit posted:

I'd have to find my notebook for proportions, but it's all storebought. Smoked jalapenos, fermented habaneros, pineapple, garlic, key lime juice, vinegar, curry paste. Worked that recipe out before I had a garden, will probably be trying some other stuff now that I have more access to peppers.

Now I'm wondering about smoking the pineapples too. I'm going to have some tinkering to do. I will try to report back.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Atticus_1354 posted:

Now I'm wondering about smoking the pineapples too. I'm going to have some tinkering to do. I will try to report back.

Sauteeing pineapples is good. Smoking them could be too, haven't tried it; may have to now. I just develop recipes based on the "but what if...?" and then chucking stuff in the blender until it tastes good, being careful to take notes. I'm not going to make money doing this stuff, but friends locally like it?

bij
Feb 24, 2007

I picked up some Secret Aardvark Drunken Garlic black bean sauce and it is pretty lame. Very thin and bland.

My other pick up, Tattoo Kashmiri Coconut is absolutely loving vile. It is in date and it arrived sealed but it tastes utterly rancid. I don't know if it is a bad batch or what but I don't know how anyone could acquire that particular taste.

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
My test ferment of mixed peppers and garlic + 5% dry salt by weight + fage yogurt water starter worked it seems. Just left it in the cabinet for like 2 whole months with banded coffee filter cover, pureed it straight up with my usual vinegar blend. I got to taste it to see if the final result is actually more delicious than my cook-down method.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay
There was a GBS chicken wing thread that was actually good recently, that I can't seem to find.

It was alluded to in the slow smoking meats thread.

It would answer a lot of the last page or two's questions.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Quaint Quail Quilt posted:

There was a GBS chicken wing thread that was actually good recently, that I can't seem to find.

It was alluded to in the slow smoking meats thread.

It would answer a lot of the last page or two's questions.
Here you go!
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3886762

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
I had good results with this. Salt and baking powder the skin, leave uncovered in fridge, then bake.
https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2010/02/the-best-buffalo-wings-oven-fried-wings-recipe.html

If you sub out Franks for a different sauce (after all this is the Hot Sauce thread), maybe put in a tiny bit of some syrup or sugar, to me Franks reads kind of sweet.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Ran out of homemade hot sauce so decided to end fermentation on the batches from October. I panicked at first because the brine smelled fine but was slimy, almost like snot, but google reassured me that it's because some species of lactobacillus produce dextran which is a thickening agent. Phew. I drained and rinsed the peppers, saved the brine to a jar. After a few minutes the brine settled, yeasts and seeds on the bottom and I drained off the top to add back to the sauce. I only took pics of the finished sauce because I wanted to get it done.

The small jar was Thai chilis and garlic. I blended the peppers, added about 1/8 tsp xanthan gum (which turned out to be unnecessary), cider vinegar, and brine until it was still runny but not watery. It was mild, kind of like a Frank's hot sauce.

The big jar was Thai chilis & habs and pungent, it made me cough and my eyes water. I added about 1/4 chopped onion, small bunch of cilantro stems, ~2TB cider vinegar, and juice of 1/2 lemon, about 1/8 tsp xanthan gum, and brine, then blended. The added ingredients really helped balance the sauce without reducing the heat but it's definitely a lot stronger than the smaller batch.

Both batches were strained and pressed through a strainer before bottling. I had a little bit of each leftover and mixed them in a third bottle.

wormil fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Jan 29, 2020

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I've been climbing the hot sauce gauntlet. What comes after Cholula? Preferably not vinegar based

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Uh pretty much anything. Look for various marie sharps

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015

The whole human race
sentenced
to
burn

Robo Reagan posted:

I've been climbing the hot sauce gauntlet. What comes after Cholula? Preferably not vinegar based

IMO:

Vinegar based-
Valentina Black label
Tabasco Habenero
Melinda's XXX

Not too vinegary-
Sriracha
Nandos Peri-Peri
El yucateco

Carillon
May 9, 2014

I really have enjoyed secret aardvark habanero and yellowbird serrano at the less spicy end of things.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Carillon posted:

I really have enjoyed secret aardvark habanero and yellowbird serrano at the less spicy end of things.

Second the Secret Aardvark.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003
I will continue to sing it from the hills, secret aardvark serrabanero is the one true breakfast hot sauce.

Their hab sauce is loving banging too.

(They're giving away a free bottle of serrabanero with a trio of sauces on their site, just saying. Skip the black bean sauce you can get angry grandma sauce for less and it's waaaaaay better.)

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Carillon posted:

The secret aardvark habenero sauce is really good and feels a lot milder than a lot of other hand sauces, thirding this recommendation.

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013

Pioneer42 posted:

This is normally posted in every GWS hot sauce thread, but hasn't been seen in this one yet:

http://www.goonswithspoons.com/Mango_Habanero_Hot_Sauce

All credit goes to NosmoKing. This is a good (and easy) recipe that was posted here a few years ago. It's a great start to learning to make and customize your own hot sauces.

I made this last week. I am putting it on everything. Thank you.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
As someone who asked the same question a while back and got the same recommendations, I can vouch for basically all of them.

Valentina Black Label is my go-to Mexican red sauce thanks to this thread and has basically replaced Cholula's, Texas Pete's, etc except for on Cajun food, where I just have to use Crystal or Louisiana Hot Sauce.

I've also become a big fan of Yellowbird and I will third their yellow habanero sauce. Their sriracha and ghost pepper sauces are great as well. The ghost pepper sauce is fairly approachable, the heat is not overwhelming at all and it has a rich smoky flavor. Great on burgers.

For me Secret Aardvark pushes a lot of the same buttons as Kutbil-Ik, which is way easier to find locally for me, but it's still pretty good.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I prefer Cholula (fruity) over Valentina (peppery) but I keep both because sometimes peppery goes better with a particular dish. Valentina is what's served in every Mexican restaurant around here but it's dirt cheap so I suspect that might be why. A few serve El yucateco. My own sauce is my favorite though.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
Can anyone recommend a sauce with a forward cumin flavor? I always go apeshit with cumin in my Texas red and I'm looking for a hot sauce to use on burritos and stuff that's reminiscent of that.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

TheAardvark posted:

Can anyone recommend a sauce with a forward cumin flavor? I always go apeshit with cumin in my Texas red and I'm looking for a hot sauce to use on burritos and stuff that's reminiscent of that.

Valentina is pretty cumin-heavy.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
It's been years since I've had it but I think Cholula is pretty heavy with the cumin as well.

sadus
Apr 5, 2004

Just make your chickens get up to 165 f however long it takes.

This new hot ones game show on TV is kind of meh, wipe your f'ing faces off, ok?

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Tried Dave's Total Insanity for the first time today.
Pretty decent. Actually not AS hot as I was expecting it to be somehow. Decent flavor profile, too. (Don't get me wrong, itssa spicy meat'a'ball)

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo
Ya know, pushing mash through a screen really sucks and takes way too long. If only there was a machine designed to separate liquids from their fibrous prison.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Dehydrate the mash and make chili flakes, so good.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

MisterOblivious posted:

Ya know, pushing mash through a screen really sucks and takes way too long. If only there was a machine designed to separate liquids from their fibrous prison.

What machine is that?

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

a foolish pianist posted:

What machine is that?

Isn't it just a juicer?

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

It's a pulp maker

Lucid Nonsense
Aug 6, 2009

Welcome to the jungle, it gets worse here every day
I just made my first batch of sauce. I had some ghost peppers that were finally ripe, so I threw them in a blender with onion, garlic, cilantro, and a red bell pepper. The final product tastes good, and is great on tacos, but it's a bit thick. Any tips for getting it to blend better, or am I using a sub-optimal method?

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Lucid Nonsense posted:

I just made my first batch of sauce. I had some ghost peppers that were finally ripe, so I threw them in a blender with onion, garlic, cilantro, and a red bell pepper. The final product tastes good, and is great on tacos, but it's a bit thick. Any tips for getting it to blend better, or am I using a sub-optimal method?

You can add vinegar or water to thin it out, or use a food mill to remove more of the solids.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
You don't even need a food mill, I blend the peppers then push them through a mesh strainer with a spatula. Previously I froze the leftover pulp and would add chunks to stew for wonderful spicy umami kick. Last time I spread them out on a sheet pan and dried them to use as red pepper flakes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
Once you've pureed your peppers with your liquid, is there any value to letting the solids sit in the liquid for a while? Thinking no? My inlaws got me an unnecessarily nice blender, a vitamix.

My method is gonna be push against mesh strainer then spoon some into a coffee filter squeeze that hard then just throw away little lump of filter. To get that last bit of liquid. I used to not even strain at all, got tired of it.