Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Captain Foo)
How do you feel about Archnemesis mods on rares?
Incredibly fun, I love them!
They're alright
Needs more work
Almost as much fun as shoving a red hot nail under my fingernail
Other (post below)
View Results

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

i believe its working like the delve crawler where the pump sucks up all the loot that would be dropping from the mobs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

Rutibex posted:

I just beat Lavos in Act 4, and I think it might be time for me to start taking some life nodes :v: I've been getting lazy since I can avoid a lot of hits, but now whenever I get hit by anything it takes 75%+ of my life.

Lavos? That's not anywhere close to the name of any of the A4 bosses.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

i assume he means malachai

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Alternatively, I could say gently caress it and buy a Headhunter on a character that hardly benefits from most stacks. I still have like 50ex leftover so whenever I pick this back up at least I'll have a cool belt.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Awesome! posted:

i assume he means malachai

the beast itself is pretty lavos-esque. mix 1 worldstone and 1 lavos together and you've got a beast

nogic
Jul 6, 2002
Can anyone familiar with coc ice nova look at my pob and help me out? I don't have a ton of currency, and want to upgrade effectively. I can survive OK for the most part in T14/15, but T16 is a challenge and I die a lot.

- I need more dps (duh)
- I need better leech. Not sure the best place to get this besides a glorious vanity, which I have, but not sure I should invest more divines into.
- Some more survivability would help, but not sure the best way to get it.

Any advice would be appreciated. I have probably 3~ ex or so.

https://pastebin.com/7jwcJrmy

Acht
Aug 13, 2012

WORLD'S BEST
E-DAD

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

I will warn having tried a ice shot ranger up to 88 with lioneye's jewel, death's opus 6l, hyrri's ire 5l, bottled faith and a pandemonius (but no voidfletch, which I would need corrupted anyway) the damage felt as bad as the survivability, killed bosses slow, got killed by bosses in one shot, only had evasion and dodge with a tiny health pool for surviving.

Maybe with another small fortune invested into the build it would reach the damage threshold where it didn't die constantly on yellow maps and could eventually do boss damage but I just wasn't feeling it for the level of investment I already put into it.

That's my worry, yeah. I'd like the character to just speed-farm maps, but I absolutely need it to kill the boss and meta at the end as well. The rest is not necessary (Elder, Guardians, Elderslayers etc.).
Did you use Barrage for single-target? That's what the build I am following does and it should supposedly help.

The links he uses are Barrage, Ele Dam, Full Life, Hypo, Ice Bite, Inspiration.
For clear it's Ice Shot, Ele Dam, Full Life, Hype, Ice Bite, Fork.

It's not optimal for levelling just yet, but that should be the setup apparantly at 7 frenzies.
Inspiration can be swapped for increased critical at lower crit numbers.

My intention is to drop most of my currency in it, together with a very good AssMark / # flat Cold damage / crit ring and fantastic Elusive boots. I think I do have the gear options currently to lift the character a bit higher, but I have no frame of reference. We'll see how it goes!
Currently level 39, might level it up a bit today again to get to 44 for Death's Opus.

Funny thing; got an Exalt at level 35. :)

Captain Foo posted:

I have a 6L opus I'll sell ya for 2.5ex!

Can check tonight likely!

Acht fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Jan 21, 2020

BobbyK
Jun 4, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Qwertycoatl posted:

I was looking at hideout stuff, and is anyone else's Alva level hosed? I'm pretty sure it's supposed to be 6 or 7, but it's 5 with about 17 rooms left to explore for next level up. If I check a standard character, she's also level 5 with -10 rooms to explore to level up.

Yeah this exact thing is happening to me. She's at 5 with 15 rooms to explore and sometimes the mission button won't show up even though i have a bunch stored up. Very annoying.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

BobbyK posted:

Yeah this exact thing is happening to me. She's at 5 with 15 rooms to explore and sometimes the mission button won't show up even though i have a bunch stored up. Very annoying.

Your character probably skipped her during the story. Stupid, I know.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Acht posted:

That's my worry, yeah. I'd like the character to just speed-farm maps, but I absolutely need it to kill the boss and meta at the end as well. The rest is not necessary (Elder, Guardians, Elderslayers etc.).
Did you use Barrage for single-target? That's what the build I am following does and it should supposedly help.

The links he uses are Barrage, Ele Dam, Full Life, Hypo, Ice Bite, Inspiration.
For clear it's Ice Shot, Ele Dam, Full Life, Hype, Ice Bite, Fork.

It's not optimal for levelling just yet, but that should be the setup apparantly at 7 frenzies.
Inspiration can be swapped for increased critical at lower crit numbers.

My intention is to drop most of my currency in it, together with a very good AssMark / # flat Cold damage / crit ring and fantastic Elusive boots. I think I do have the gear options currently to lift the character a bit higher, but I have no frame of reference. We'll see how it goes!
Currently level 39, might level it up a bit today again to get to 44 for Death's Opus.

Funny thing; got an Exalt at level 35. :)

Can check tonight likely!

Here is a video someone made just recently who min/maxed ice shot so you can see what the experience is like https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KExdNCTsW60

In the description he says it's not really worth the mirror of gear investment for the so-so boss damage.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
So I have an Elementalist Autobomber and it can clear maps besides boss in 40 seconds... if I keep it to T5 lol

This guy combined Death's Oath with Herald of Ash and it looks really fun, any thoughts on where this ranks among auto-bomber strategies and how many Ex it would cost to get it online? I know the Death's Oath with correct colors is 2 Ex, not sure about the rest:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oxgDzvHvz3A&t=270s

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

The one mod on his Watcher's Eye that you would care about is 11ex minimum. Other jewels are 2ex minimum. A good Dying Sun is in the 1-2ex range. Death's Oath is 2ex as you said, and the other uniques can be had for cheap since you don't care about the rolls at all (might consider grabbing an Obliteration with the Increased AoE implicit). So all of that would be ~20ex.

The amulet and the gloves are going to be really fun to try to buy/craft though. He did seem to go a bit overboard in capping resists though since you don't need to be 82% over for any reason (minus a couple uniques that care about uncapped resistances).

whypick1 fucked around with this message at 11:39 on Jan 21, 2020

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Jazerus posted:

the beast itself is pretty lavos-esque. mix 1 worldstone and 1 lavos together and you've got a beast

Yeah the whole final sequence of Act 4 reminded me of the final part of Chrono Trigger. A lot of the background lore in PoE kind of reminded me of CT actually. I assume Act 4 was where the game originally ended? The Beast feels like an end boss:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9sRU8yrcEu8

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Rutibex posted:

Yeah the whole final sequence of Act 4 reminded me of the final part of Chrono Trigger. A lot of the background lore in PoE kind of reminded me of CT actually. I assume Act 4 was where the game originally ended? The Beast feels like an end boss:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9sRU8yrcEu8

The original plot ended at act 3

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

Afaik, and someone will correct me I'm sure, the game has ended at Act 2, Act 3, Act 4, Act 5, and Act 10 throughout it's history.

ConfusedPig
Mar 27, 2013

Herstory Begins Now posted:

Afaik, and someone will correct me I'm sure, the game has ended at Act 2, Act 3, Act 4, Act 5, and Act 10 throughout it's history.

Act 5 came at the same time as the rest, but yeah the first four came out one by one.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
A5 through 10 were released in a single patch, so it was A4 > A10.

EFB

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Here is a video someone made just recently who min/maxed ice shot so you can see what the experience is like https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KExdNCTsW60

In the description he says it's not really worth the mirror of gear investment for the so-so boss damage.

?? Why didn’t he or she just use barrage in a separate 6l for single target ?

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
That would be the smart thing to do, yes.

Anyway, I want to give one last character a try this league and to dump my hoarded wealth onto it, I'm trying to decide between a Saviour Flicker strike slayer, champion or raider, or a Pledge of hands low life ice nova guardian.

A random poeninja of the flicker strike and ice nova builds I was looking at for reference.
https://poe.ninja/challenge/builds/...e%26sort%3Dlife
ice nova
https://poe.ninja/challenge/builds/char/CrazyClassiC/VelesPower?i=0&search=class%3DGuardian%26item%3DMemory-Vault%26skill%3DIce-Nova

Has anyone played either of those skills this league and can give the rundown on the clearspeed, boss killing, tankitude and overall fun of the build?

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Jan 21, 2020

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Does Pandemonius work with elemental focus support ?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

euphronius posted:

Does Pandemonius work with elemental focus support ?

Yes, as long as you're not trying to chill with whatever you have EF linked to. Some other source like skitterbots or cold snap will work just fine.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
Last night was a fun gaming experience. Mon'tregul's Grasp sceptre dropped for me and now I'm walking around with 5 incredibly buff zombies that one shot everything. I was also eyeballing a Geofri's Sanctuary on poe.trade but they were all like 2.5 to 3ex for a 6/6. Then one dropped for me. I managed to get it 5 socket with 4 links and called it good enough. Also found a sick belt with an abyssal socket which I totally forgot existed in the game. I still don't know what I want to look for in an offhand or if I should shoot for a 6/6 two hander. I doubt I'll ever see enough veiled two handers to get the minions crafting recipes...

I also beat Atziri for the first time. That was the boss that made me quit last time I played because I realized I screwed up my build and didn't want to spend all the time rebuilding a new character or spending all my currency fixing my passive tree.

tl;dr: PoE is a good game.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Also there was a time before they added Dominus when the end was Act 3 Piety.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
For bench crafts you can just ask in global/guild chat and someone can hook you up

aas Bandit
Sep 28, 2001
Oompa Loompa
Nap Ghost
Okay, this is probably a serious newb question, but I feel like I must be missing something obvious.

I have an "Arc" gem and a couple of support gems socketed into a pair of boots. Everything's fine re: requirements.
Arc shows up on my character display as a currently active skill.

But I can't use it? It just...doesn't show up on my skill slots, either in the normal or the Ctrl display? From what I can tell, it doesn't require a specific slot location, or have some other sort of limitation that would prevent me from casting it, and it doesn't appear to be a passive/random skill per the description. Edit: And yes, I have open control/UI slots.

WTF am I missing here?

aas Bandit fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Jan 21, 2020

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
Click a slot to show all the skills available and select arc

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Left click on one of the slots in your skill bar. Can you select arc?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I spend 4 acts fighting hordes of undead/solider/elder horrors to claw my way back to Oriath. Once i step through the shoddy portal I end up in a slave pit and have to fight my way out. Who greets me at the end the the slave pits? Tane you fucker! If you can teleport all the way to Oriath why didn't you give me a ride?! I thought we were bros, I gave you so many organs :argh:

aas Bandit
Sep 28, 2001
Oompa Loompa
Nap Ghost

dyzzy posted:

Click a slot to show all the skills available and select arc

Filthy Monkey posted:

Left click on one of the slots in your skill bar. Can you select arc?

Heh. Yeah, I figured it was something simple. I've just been letting the game assign skills to whatever slot and it's worked just fine automatically until now.
Figures there'd be an easy way to do that, but I'm wondering why the game didn't just stick it in an empty slot like always?

Weird. Thank you both!

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

I'm leveling a str stacking Geofri's Sanctuary Mana Guardian right now, hit A9 in 4 hours yesterday. I'm a dumb idiot so instead of playing Baron Zombies like everyone else I'm going with Doon Cuebiyari and going to try Cold DoTs. I have no idea if the damage will be acceptable in endgame or not (looking at about 1000%-1200% inc damage, without getting much CDoT Multiplier outside of the 2 Cold clusters), but I guess if the build feels like poo poo I can always just stop playing it since I hit 36 challenges already. Leveling has felt really good at least, 6L Vortex damage is absolutely insane, though a lot of that probably comes from the fact that I'm DW Spine of the First Claimants.

Q: For Zombie builds that use a %Attributes neck over Astramentis and Brawn jewels, how the hell do you get enough Int for your spells? I assume I can get enough Dex since I only need 111 for Hypothermia and there's 30 dex nodes I can grab, but hitting 160ish Int seems a lot harder with a -30%ish penalty from jewels. I haven't planned out the tree fully to see which int nodes I'll hit without converting yet, I suppose.

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Yeah, I gets down with the homies

Ultima66 posted:

I'm leveling a str stacking Geofri's Sanctuary Mana Guardian right now, hit A9 in 4 hours yesterday. I'm a dumb idiot so instead of playing Baron Zombies like everyone else I'm going with Doon Cuebiyari and going to try Cold DoTs. I have no idea if the damage will be acceptable in endgame or not (looking at about 1000%-1200% inc damage, without getting much CDoT Multiplier outside of the 2 Cold clusters), but I guess if the build feels like poo poo I can always just stop playing it since I hit 36 challenges already. Leveling has felt really good at least, 6L Vortex damage is absolutely insane, though a lot of that probably comes from the fact that I'm DW Spine of the First Claimants.

Q: For Zombie builds that use a %Attributes neck over Astramentis and Brawn jewels, how the hell do you get enough Int for your spells? I assume I can get enough Dex since I only need 111 for Hypothermia and there's 30 dex nodes I can grab, but hitting 160ish Int seems a lot harder with a -30%ish penalty from jewels. I haven't planned out the tree fully to see which int nodes I'll hit without converting yet, I suppose.

Efficient training converts int nodes to strength without a negative % penalty to int.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Qwertycoatl posted:

Also there was a time before they added Dominus when the end was Act 3 Piety.

Right, that's where the original plot ended, correct?

(I know the game only went to A2 before, but)

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

I think I've got one more build in me this league, and am looking at CWC VD Necro. Few questions:

1. Looking at poe.ninja, it seems like bare minimum to get started I would need a 6L, preferably with a CWC mod and a Scold's Bridle to proc a poo poo-ton of CwDT setups for debuffs and Spirit Offering. I also already have a Doedre's Malevolence and Cinderswallow, which seem popular for those builds.
2. I'm guessing CWC is used over COC because it's hard to build up enough crit chance as a Necro compared to Assassin, while also ignoring accuracy completely, even though COC has a smaller cooldown (I do have an Assassin I could spend an rear end load of regrets on to respec, but Necro seems far tankier).
3. I'm guessing this is a "level with something else until ~70 then switch over" build.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

aas Bandit posted:

Heh. Yeah, I figured it was something simple. I've just been letting the game assign skills to whatever slot and it's worked just fine automatically until now.

A handy tip if you've been letting the game assign things - assign "move" to left-click, so that if you're trying to run away or reposition and happen to click on a monster, you actually move instead of stopping to shoot it.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

That is a good one. Another handy tip. Turn on 'attack/cast without moving' option on any of your movement skills. It helps avoid you walking forward first if you click too far away.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
After a painless 96 to 98, I've had 4 deaths at 10% :negative:

All due to hubris.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

All deaths in this game are due to hubris, that's why there's no need for a death log :v:

aas Bandit
Sep 28, 2001
Oompa Loompa
Nap Ghost

Qwertycoatl posted:

A handy tip if you've been letting the game assign things - assign "move" to left-click, so that if you're trying to run away or reposition and happen to click on a monster, you actually move instead of stopping to shoot it.

Filthy Monkey posted:

That is a good one. Another handy tip. Turn on 'attack/cast without moving' option on any of your movement skills. It helps avoid you walking forward first if you click too far away.

Thanks again--I haven't had issues with the first one, but the second is indeed a thing at times.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

whypick1 posted:

All deaths in this game are due to hubris, that's why there's no need for a death log :v:
Eh. I've had more than my fair share of deaths due to bullshit. I would probably play hardcore if it wasn't for lag deaths and the like. It doesn't happen often, but I've definitely had the occasional three second freeze followed by super-speed. It can easily result in a corpse if it happens at a bad time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

whypick1 posted:

I think I've got one more build in me this league, and am looking at CWC VD Necro. Few questions:

1. Looking at poe.ninja, it seems like bare minimum to get started I would need a 6L, preferably with a CWC mod and a Scold's Bridle to proc a poo poo-ton of CwDT setups for debuffs and Spirit Offering. I also already have a Doedre's Malevolence and Cinderswallow, which seem popular for those builds.
2. I'm guessing CWC is used over COC because it's hard to build up enough crit chance as a Necro compared to Assassin, while also ignoring accuracy completely, even though COC has a smaller cooldown (I do have an Assassin I could spend an rear end load of regrets on to respec, but Necro seems far tankier).
3. I'm guessing this is a "level with something else until ~70 then switch over" build.

I think the doedres are actually a key piece of the build, since its how you get cyclone to cost enough mana to proc your cwdt. Obviously its just a nice dps boost too since you don't care about cast speed.

I can't say I've tried it but I imagine you could level with it just fine provided you have the usual leveling gear. Just have to put the desecrate in your cwc setup until you can get scolds going. Self cast VD is just fine until you get CWC