Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Basebf555 posted:

Anyone here seen the documentary, The Summit? Ever since I saw that I thought it'd make a great movie in the "mother nature as a slasher villain" subgenre. Some of the situations described in the documentary are extremely harrowing but I think a big budget movie along the lines of Everest would be even more effective.

Vertical Limit came out a few years before the real life disaster on K-2 depicted in The Summit, and nothing in Vertical Limit comes close to the insanity of what happened for real in 2008.

Is that about the guys who got kidnapped by Kyrgistani pirates?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Basebf555 posted:

Anyone here seen the documentary, The Summit? Ever since I saw that I thought it'd make a great movie in the "mother nature as a slasher villain" subgenre. Some of the situations described in the documentary are extremely harrowing but I think a big budget movie along the lines of Everest would be even more effective.

Vertical Limit came out a few years before the real life disaster on K-2 depicted in The Summit, and nothing in Vertical Limit comes close to the insanity of what happened for real in 2008.

Not at all, but I'll throw it on my To Watch list and will check it out. Sounds horrifying!

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Being a pirate in Kyrgyzstan must be a rough job what with it being landlocked and all.

:goonsay:

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

FreudianSlippers posted:

Being a pirate in Kyrgyzstan must be a rough job what with it being landlocked and all.

I know pirate is the wrong word, but essentially, "guys who kidnap normal people and hold them for reasonable ransoms then send them on their way as a full time job," which is exactly what the Somali pirates do.

Kidnappers? Professional workaday kidnappers? Is that a thing?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Nah, K-2 doesn't need help from puny humans to do it's killing.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2008_K2_disaster

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

some website put up an interview with Richard Stanley about making Color Out Of Space

https://www.rue-morgue.com/exclusive-interview-richard-stanley-on-color-out-of-space-and-adapting-and-refuting-h-p-lovecraft/

he also confirms that he's making two more Lovecraft movies, and potentially getting a do-over of Dr Moreau.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

alf_pogs posted:

some website put up an interview with Richard Stanley about making Color Out Of Space

https://www.rue-morgue.com/exclusive-interview-richard-stanley-on-color-out-of-space-and-adapting-and-refuting-h-p-lovecraft/

he also confirms that he's making two more Lovecraft movies, and potentially getting a do-over of Dr Moreau.

:aaaaa: Surely this isn't real right, like even potentially? I mean that'd be incredible I hope it's not like Tom Arnold periodically saying True Lies 2 is about to begin production in hopes of that making people so excited that it begins production.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

FreudianSlippers posted:

Shrecknet posted:

I know pirate is the wrong word, but essentially, "guys who kidnap normal people and hold them for reasonable ransoms then send them on their way as a full time job," which is exactly what the Somali pirates do.

Kidnappers? Professional workaday kidnappers? Is that a thing?

I'd say pirate is an appropriate word in a thread that embraces low budget flicks - Landlocked Pirate Movie (because who has money for things like boats or being near water) is a subgenre with plenty of cheap cornball entries.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

alf_pogs posted:

I’m genuinely curious about the black magic he performed for this to happen this way.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

I watched Ready or Not last night, and I'm not sure what I was expecting to be honest, but I really liked it. I remember seeing the trailer a while back, and thought the movie was gonna play up the dark comedy bits way more, and while they were there at times, they kinda/sorta felt out of place as the general tone often came off as more serious; it never really felt like a natural mixup of the genres, like say, Shaun of the Dead. Still though, the ending was hilariously cathartic and overall I was super entertained. Though from the marketing I was expecting to see Samara Weaving use that nitro express elephant gun to blast some fools, and it turning out to be a display-only model bummed me out hard lol.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Richard Stanley posted:

You mentioned Lovecraft’s racism; did that make it important to you to cast black actor Elliot Knight as part of your ensemble?

I think it’s super-important to address those themes. I mean, we can’t ignore the fact that Lovecraft was, in some respects, probably a pretty unpleasant person, or someone who was quite hard to get along with. That very much informed the casting, particularly of that part of Ward Phillips, who is essentially the voice of Lovecraft. Phillips was Lovecraft’s mother’s maiden name—Sarah Phillips was his mum—so Ward Phillips from Miskatonic University gets to be the narrator of the film, and also the sole continuing character through my next two Lovecraft movies.
Hell yeah, I thought making a protagonist of a Lovecraft film black was a great choice, and I liked that actor. That’s awesome that he’ll be in future films too.

lmao

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Basebf555 posted:

For me the absolute perfection of how The Ritual builds the expectation of a creature, and then pays that off, is worth a hundred Hereditarys or Lighthouses. I won't say it's on the level of the T-Rex paddock in Jurassic Park but it's that same type of thing. Maybe not revolutionary but also not easy, moments like that are pretty drat rare in the genre and I can't think of a better one that came along this decade.

Throughout most of The Ritual I was expecting to never actually see the monster. I figured it would be a Blair Witch type situation where you see the carnage but never what actually caused it. Which would have been fine by me, a lot of times nothing is scarier than something when it's done right.

However, then they actually DID show the monster and goddamn did it blow me away. That is a quality creature design.

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

teagone posted:

I watched Ready or Not last night, and I'm not sure what I was expecting to be honest, but I really liked it. I remember seeing the trailer a while back, and thought the movie was gonna play up the dark comedy bits way more, and while they were there at times, they kinda/sorta felt out of place as the general tone often came off as more serious; it never really felt like a natural mixup of the genres, like say, Shaun of the Dead. Still though, the ending was hilariously cathartic and overall I was super entertained. Though from the marketing I was expecting to see Samara Weaving use that nitro express elephant gun to blast some fools, and it turning out to be a display-only model bummed me out hard lol.

Yeah I think there are three parts of the film where she could have shot someone, but whoops wrong ammo/no ammo. I was worried that they were going to keep her as a virginal damsel until the end, so it was definitely very cathartic when she gave Andie MacDowell a facelift with the Lament Configuration. That and the exploding relatives.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Hollismason posted:

Who is the true horror fan though who has seen all 26 Witchcraft films though

They will lead us

And destroy us

I have no joke seen like 15 Witchcraft films so I could conceivably do this.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Watched Dead End on Tubi. Ray Wise and Lin Shaye are treasures.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

teagone posted:

Yeah, it rules. I didn't get to see it in theaters, but I'm glad I caught it eventually. It's not the best horror movie from last year, but it's easily the most fun horror movie from 2019 for me. The genre was really bleak last year. (Not that that's a bad thing.)

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I watched a lot of crushed or decapitated head movies yesterday.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

which was the best one

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Kvlt! posted:

which was the best one

I'll go ahead and field this one:

Shotgun decapitation from The Prowler.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Iron Crowned posted:

I watched a lot of crushed or decapitated head movies yesterday.

The Fly 2?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Speaking of shotgun decapitation, I did not expect The Colour Out of Space to have more in common with Annihilation than anything I've seen recently. It hasn't dethroned The Art of Self Defense as my favourite movie of 2019, but I liked it a lot and I hope it revives Stanley's career.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

david_a posted:

The Fly 2?

I haven't seen that one in a very long time.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Iron Crowned posted:

I haven't seen that one in a very long time.

It's maybe not a great movie overall but still waaaaaaay better than you'd expect it to be given the premise, there's an actual good amount of continuity between the two movies and the effects are awesome. That dog scene. :(

One really lame thing about it though, like, the effects and makeup overall are great EXCEPT for the titular final creature itself. It's very very cheap looking and it's also very very obvious that whenever they show it walking around you're just seeing someone puppeteering a pair of legs. They tried to evoke Alien with how it's shot and that just makes it even worse like, really guys?

If anyone here hasn't seen it It's the movie where at the end the security guard gets acid spat onto his face and is in so much pain he peels his own face off of his skull while screaming.

I'd say it's an essential watch for anyone in this thread.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Jan 21, 2020

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Halloween Jack posted:

Speaking of shotgun decapitation, I did not expect The Colour Out of Space to have more in common with Annihilation than anything I've seen recently. It hasn't dethroned The Art of Self Defense as my favourite movie of 2019, but I liked it a lot and I hope it revives Stanley's career.

This is showing at a festival in my town this week and I really want to go but I don’t think I can make the timing work. Hopefully it gets an actual release.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Drunkboxer posted:

This is showing at a festival in my town this week and I really want to go but I don’t think I can make the timing work. Hopefully it gets an actual release.

Heads up for anyone interested, the limited release run is tomorrow on January 22nd, so check your local listings to see if there's a showing near you. My theater is one night only.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
For people not able to find a showing of The Color Out of Space, it'll be on blu ray and VOD in about a month. Probably sooner than that if you want to buy the digital version.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Colour is worth seeing in a theatre though. I wish there were 3D screenings.

When I saw it I was a little put off by how cartoonish Cage was, but I think it'd warrant a rewatch.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

I watched a Z-grade horror flick called Spaceship Terror a few days ago, it was amateurish in the extreme and it was clear they were far more interested in gross-out effects work than anything involving production, acting or scripting. But some of the kills were really satisfying. It's a very bad movie made seemingly by guys who only ever read Fangoria.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I know everyone wants to be smart and use the proper spelling that Lovecraft used, but Stanley changed it to "Color" for the movie.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

TheBizzness posted:

My Horror Movie Satan is Clarence Williams III

Hell yeah.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

flashy_mcflash posted:

Colour is worth seeing in a theatre though. I wish there were 3D screenings.

When I saw it I was a little put off by how cartoonish Cage was, but I think it'd warrant a rewatch.

as far as I'm concerned, Cage can never be too cartoonish

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

gey muckle mowser posted:

as far as I'm concerned, Cage can never be too cartoonish

I'm 99% in agreement but this was a case where he was legitimately distracting from source material I was interested in.

It's a great Cage performance but I wonder if the movie would've had more impact with a more nuanced lead.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Is The Color Out of Space worth holding off until I can afford movie enhancing drugs again?

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Pomp posted:

Is The Color Out of Space worth holding off until I can afford movie enhancing drugs again?

I would say pretty conclusively that you are doing yourself and the film a bit of a disservice if you aren't at least mildly cheebed.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Fear X was certainly...something.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
I wanna watch The Greasy Strangler again

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit
I want to live The Greasy Strangler

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

TheOmegaWalrus posted:

I want to live The Greasy Strangler

But as who???

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

COOL CORN posted:

But as who???

You must abandon such petty things as "the self" and surrender unto grease

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Greasy John Carpenter or Greasy Eric Wareheim