Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Monkey Fracas posted:

I haven't seen Uncut Gems yet because of my irrational hatred of Adam Sandler

but I probably should see it

he didnt win an oscar, dont bother

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Paul Thomas Anderson recently did a really good interview with the Safdie's for the A24 podcast as well, definitely worth a listen.

It seems like they had a big part in the casting. I had no idea that they'd cast so many regular people. A lot of the cast are real-life jewelers or non-actors who would be very familiar with the kind of person they're playing, so they can just do an impression of someone they know.

Like they'd tried to cast a real-life bookie and the guy told them "I'm not going to out myself as a criminal for loving SAG day rate," so it's loving inspired they went right to Mike Francesca, who probably knows shitloads of degenerate sports gamblers and deals with them daily.

luchajones
Jan 28, 2018

I have no beard, and I must scream

Monkey Fracas posted:

Watch it with subtitles only

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Monkey Fracas posted:

It won’t change your mind

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I think I'm busted because the part where Kevin Garnett and his crew get stuck between the doors was one of the funniest things I saw last year.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Monkey Fracas posted:

He plays a big annoying piece of poo poo in the movie, so if it makes it easier you can spend the whole movie going "gently caress you Sandler" and being happy when it goes bad.

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

PostNouveau posted:

Chapo Trap House podcast interviewed the Sadfie Brothers, who made Uncut Gems. It's pretty loving great. Chapo's usually a politics show, but this is all about the movie.

https://soundcloud.com/chapo-trap-house/386-brother-magic-feat-josh-and-benny-safdie-12020

Did they cast that one lady just because of her fine posterior?

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

reignofevil posted:

Well the big plan to fool the empire into not killing them all was basically to close the gigantic door and then paint an open door on the outside of it but one without a bunch of rebels hiding in a secret base

While Elmer Fudd shoots at a painting of Bugs Bunny

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
In a fight between Elmer Fudd and the First Order I am going to put my money on The Fudd.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Anyone else looking forward to Denis Villeneuve's Dune?

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

bitterandtwisted posted:

someone I work with came by today to say the hype was actually good? Like he may have actually pulled it off. I haven't seen any twitter stuff, or info leaked anywhere

I have no doubts about Villeneuve

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

bitterandtwisted posted:

hard to think of a more perfect director for the material, and they aren't trying to cram everything into one movie

I'll be disappointed if it's bad

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM
villeneuve is the best director of this century

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

The Dune movie is visually interesting but boring as gently caress, so there's a lot of room for improvement.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Dune 1 is gonna flop big time and they'll cancel part 2

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

FuturePastNow posted:

The Dune movie is visually interesting but boring as gently caress, so there's a lot of room for improvement.

Yep. I'm really looking forwards to it. Dune is actually a case where remaking (or rather re-adapting) it actually makes a lot of sense, because none of the previous attempts really weren't that good and there's alot you can improve. I also think Villeneuve is probably the perfect man for the job.

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017
What's happening? Dri fu an only two? what is this?
Is this an avatar? I don't know rm dunk

Villeneuve makes very competent movies that are almost entirely forgettable

Durf
Aug 16, 2017

PostNouveau posted:

Chapo Trap House podcast interviewed the Sadfie Brothers, who made Uncut Gems. It's pretty loving great. Chapo's usually a politics show, but this is all about the movie.

https://soundcloud.com/chapo-trap-house/386-brother-magic-feat-josh-and-benny-safdie-12020

oh my god were they those weirdo twins? hilarious.

edit nevermind they were more nyc personalities. I can't believe these people are real.

Durf fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Jan 21, 2020

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
I like both the Lynch Dune and the tv show. I mean they can always throw more money to remake this world.

OTHO I am bittered that Neuromancer make it to any movie and tv format.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Fartbox posted:

:wrong:

revwinnebago
Oct 4, 2017

Stink Billyums posted:

Hard to argue with him being in the Top 3 at least.

Fartbox posted:

I just think in the era of mega-blockbusters people have too much crap rammed through their eyeballs. It's hard to say a ten-second clip from a good film stands up against a 45-minute disco monster like Butt-head vs Superbeavis.

Some moments in Arrival and the action bits in Sicario are way up there in terms of scenes I can feel when I think back on them.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

I remember his movies, and how I thought they were good.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Randarkman posted:

Yep. I'm really looking forwards to it. Dune is actually a case where remaking (or rather re-adapting) it actually makes a lot of sense, because none of the previous attempts really weren't that good and there's alot you can improve. I also think Villeneuve is probably the perfect man for the job.

Watched the Lynch movie recently and it was weird and fun to watch for me

also seems like it was calibrated to be watched by people who had read the book and be insane ravings to people who hadn't

but yeah it's v uneven, unpolished, and has some pacing issues as much as I was charmed by it

Victis
Mar 26, 2008

Sicario was visceral and BR2049 was really fuckin' good but the Vegas part wasn't good

Enemy was weird/good and Arrival was absolutely forgettable, granted that had more to do with the writing than the directing. Never saw Prisoners.

Stink Billyums posted:

Some serious hyperbole going on itt fuckin' lol

I'm all in for Dune though! I think it's a good fit 100%

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Monkey Fracas posted:

Watched the Lynch movie recently and it was weird and fun to watch for me

also seems like it was calibrated to be watched by people who had read the book and be insane ravings to people who hadn't

but yeah it's v uneven, unpolished, and has some pacing issues as much as I was charmed by it

I mostly love the art direction of the David Lynch movie, with a couple of exceptions like the Sardaukar (the Sardaukar actually look pretty neat in the SyFy mini series), the look of the shields and the fact that the Fremen just wear nothing but the stillsuits (personally I'd like for them to look more like Bedouin or Tuaregs, with the stillsuits underneath).

It's just that as a movie, it's just so boring and somehow tiring at the same time (at least it was to me). I really hope they don't throw everything about the David Lynch movie in the trash, and that they especially pull from the art direction and maybe even try to incorporate bits of the Toto score into the new soundtrack.

Norton the First
Dec 4, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

stephenthinkpad posted:

OTHO I am bittered that Neuromancer make it to any movie and tv format.

I really thought it might happen after Inception.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
I've seen all of the Academy Best Picture nominees now, and I don't think there's any of them that I'd say are just terrible. Joker is pretty mediocre, 1917 is technically impressive but pretty empty, and Marriage Story is kind of boring, but really everything is at least "okay." Good job, everyone.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Monkey Fracas posted:

There's nothing irrational about hating Adam Sandler, hth.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Those are brothers, not twins. One of them, completely unsolicited, showed up to set with music he'd written for the movie and it's all lo-fi california wave rock or something that would be completely out of place in the movie but the Safdie brothers thought was brilliant. They play a song in the podcast and say they're trying to release the whole album.

https://twitter.com/JOSH_BENNY/status/1217961302401933314

PostNouveau fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Jan 21, 2020

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

I refuse to believe dune 2020 is happening until I'm watching the credits roll. Hope it does tho

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

My favorite part of Uncut Gems is the song they decided to put over the credits because it made it obvious the directors were my age.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
I saw Prisoners when it came out and it was so well done that I was expecting it to come together in a satisfying way by the end and then it just sort of didn't
it made textual sense and was well executed, but thematically nihilistic
and I don't mean like No Country, where nihilism was a theme, like it was nihilistic toward the concept of theme
like what the hell was the point of that story

gyllenhaal's character, detective loki, was named "loki" and he had a bunch of mixed religious and astrological symbols tattooed on his hands, and I, the guy who earlier itt argued a thematic reading of the characterization of the gremlins in gremlins, could not tell you what the significance of any of that was if you tied me up in a shower and beat me like paul dano

the closest thing I got out of what the story actually had to say about anything was "pedophiles and adult survivors of childhood abduction are creepy, but not as bad as the parents of child victims, who are loving demons"

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I loved Prisoners. It made me feel nasty and depressed.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
People in this thread not liking arrival outing themselves as dumb and wrong.

:colbert:

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Villeniuve is Nolan for the 2010s:

Liked by reddit

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Sicario is a banger :discourse::blastu:

RIP Johann

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Monkey Fracas posted:

If anything, disliking the usual Sandler works in this movie's favor.

Groovelord Neato posted:

My favorite part of Uncut Gems is the song they decided to put over the credits because it made it obvious the directors were my age.

It was really weird recognizing a song in a movie that wasn't just a standard hit.

Victis
Mar 26, 2008

ZeusCannon posted:

People in this thread not liking arrival outing themselves as dumb and wrong.

:colbert:

The aliens are cool and it looks nice but almost everything that happens in the movie is dumb, sorry

Is it worse than Ad Astra? Who can say...

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
You think Arrival alien is dumb? Wait till you watch Enemy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Uh-oh, look who's 'back'.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0p4Im88wSg