Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

quote:

It feels like Microsoft is playing catchup, and they're using the "100 Val-U Games!" as a strategy.

Personally I'm interested in the platform with the best technology because controlling games over the Internet is a loving crazy thing to begin with, and right now that's Stadia.

Would I like to play Gears 5? Yeah, but not at 720p with input lag.

Everyone is yelling for the Netflix of gaming, and that seems to be what MS is offering, but I don't think that's the big sell of cloud gaming. It's gonna be games that use cloud infrastructure to do games you can't do anywhere else. I don't want to play Val-U brand titles I can just play locally, I want things like Semantic ML and Stream Connect and whatever else developers are cooking up with Stadia.

I want 100 versus 100 player mega-battles, stuff you can't do with Joey's PS4 and Mike's PC that are sitting on lovely old-world networks.

I bet you Google is looking for the next Fortnite to bring people into Stadia.

In the meantime they'll work out deals with publishers like Ubisoft to get the uPlay "Netflix of gaming" vibe somewhat there.

quote:

I think Microsoft's recent moves are in direct response to Stadia

quote:

I think it's naive to think that Microsoft doesn't see X-Cloud as competition to Stadia and a way to have a foot in the cloud gaming market

quote:

I personally think they are releasing Series X out of necessity because they understand from their last reveal that the gaming community reacts better to gradual change.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

oh man that batch is just ~mhwwaaa~

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
This thread has gotten more pages in 2020 (28) than Stadia has gotten games in its entire existence (26).

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Another point against stadia (unless it's proven otherwise) that I don't think we've addressed.

So for the casual gaming audience that largely plays online games (and some hardcores), a major thing they like to do is change username/profiles. Either they want a fresh elo/skill data or just want a brand new username with no history, they can do so and still keep their games even if it's physically or digitally (for example on ps4 all primary accounts on a ps4 share their games with any account logged into the same console).

Not saying everyone uses this function but it happens. I'm guessing on stadia that your games are linked to your username so you have to buy another copy of the game if you want to smurf it up or just start over.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

...! posted:

It feels like Microsoft is playing catchup, and they're using the "100 Val-U Games!" as a strategy.

Personally I'm interested in the platform with the best technology because controlling games over the Internet is a loving crazy thing to begin with, and right now that's Stadia.

Would I like to play Gears 5? Yeah, but not at 720p with input lag.

Everyone is yelling for the Netflix of gaming, and that seems to be what MS is offering, but I don't think that's the big sell of cloud gaming. It's gonna be games that use cloud infrastructure to do games you can't do anywhere else. I don't want to play Val-U brand titles I can just play locally, I want things like Semantic ML and Stream Connect and whatever else developers are cooking up with Stadia.

I want 100 versus 100 player mega-battles, stuff you can't do with Joey's PS4 and Mike's PC that are sitting on lovely old-world networks.

I bet you Google is looking for the next Fortnite to bring people into Stadia.

In the meantime they'll work out deals with publishers like Ubisoft to get the uPlay "Netflix of gaming" vibe somewhat there.

Along with all the other wild poo poo in this post the idea that controlling games over the internet is new is hilarious.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Has that person looked at the xCloud beta / Game Pass lineup? Why do they keep saying Val-U games and typing it like that?

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

American McGay posted:

Has that person looked at the xCloud beta / Game Pass lineup? Why do they keep saying Val-U games and typing it like that?

Because no system could possibly have more than 30 games on it without a bunch of them being 1980s style 56-in-1 carts. :smugdog:

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

leftist heap posted:

Along with all the other wild poo poo in this post the idea that controlling games over the internet is new is hilarious.

My favorite is the idea that 100 vs 100 game could be interesting or fun. Likely, in a game that massive, it's either going to be massive chaos, or each individual player will be stuck doing something so mundane that they don't get a taste of the scope. Either way, it wouldn't be fun.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Cemetry Gator posted:

My favorite is the idea that 100 vs 100 game could be interesting or fun. Likely, in a game that massive, it's either going to be massive chaos, or each individual player will be stuck doing something so mundane that they don't get a taste of the scope. Either way, it wouldn't be fun.

or that it doesnt exist, on consoles right now
planetside 2 is on ps4, the largest battle in the game to date was over 1000 players

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Ineffiable posted:

Another point against stadia (unless it's proven otherwise) that I don't think we've addressed.

So for the casual gaming audience that largely plays online games (and some hardcores), a major thing they like to do is change username/profiles. Either they want a fresh elo/skill data or just want a brand new username with no history, they can do so and still keep their games even if it's physically or digitally (for example on ps4 all primary accounts on a ps4 share their games with any account logged into the same console).

Not saying everyone uses this function but it happens. I'm guessing on stadia that your games are linked to your username so you have to buy another copy of the game if you want to smurf it up or just start over.
Casual gamers aren't creating smurf accounts. That's something done by bored serious gamers that want to stomp noobs for a while.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

quote:

Imagine thinking that you're on the cutting edge of gaming but not being aware that Planetside existed seventeen years ago

Barudak
May 7, 2007

xCloud is adding Destiny 2 so finally gaming dads can get some matchmaking

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time

I’ll have what she’s having.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

https://www.theverge.com/2020/1/21/21076138/google-stadia-verizon-fios-partnership-three-months-free

quote:

Google has found its first major partner to help push the company’s nascent Stadia game streaming service in the United States: Verizon. Tonight the companies announced that new Verizon Fios customers who sign up for the Gigabit plan will get a Stadia Premiere Edition and a three-month Stadia Pro subscription. They’ll also receiver a Stadia controller and a Chromecast Ultra for using the service on a TV.

The deal kicks off on January 29th. Once the three months are up, you’ll start getting charged Stadia’s normal $9.99/month subscription, but the gadgets are yours to keep. The Stadia Premiere Edition usually goes for $130.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
Now they're just giving it away! That's going to work wonders.

Jesus, at least get more games on your platform. The average person is going to see a bunch of older stuff, and say "no thanks."

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Cemetry Gator posted:

Now they're just giving it away! That's going to work wonders.

Jesus, at least get more games on your platform. The average person is going to see a bunch of older stuff, and say "no thanks."

Also it's not going to do much for anyone whose plan contains the nasty little phrase "Fibre To The Node".

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I'm sure Verizon is more than willing to get people to try this and get a bunch of free money from people going over their data caps in the first month before they throw it in the garbage.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
As far as I can tell Verizon Fios doesn't actually have any overage charges, but upon researching this I actually had to add a Fios plan to my cart which in turn meant I had to input a zip code where Fios was available and it turns out that Verizon Fios is only available in 5 cities in the entire United States, so their promo should line up pretty well with the expected user base of Stadia.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Lol, no kidding, I just checked this page and its coverage is a staggering 9 East coast states: https://providersbyzip.com/verizon-fios-availability

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Lol, no kidding, I just checked this page and its coverage is a staggering 9 East coast states: https://providersbyzip.com/verizon-fios-availability

Even in those states I know it can't be THAT wide spread. I'm in Maryland and we don't have it in the city I'm in.

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice
Did you know Google Stadia is an anagram of "it's good algae", "dates a gigolo" and "a good lag site"? And like a billion other things.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

uvar posted:

Did you know Google Stadia is an anagram of "it's good algae", "dates a gigolo" and "a good lag site"? And like a billion other things.

But not an anagram of "playstation is good", checkmate atheists

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Can we please make the next thread title "Stadia: A Good Lag Site"?

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Google's stadia is superior, its victory assured wether you or I do anything or not

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Too many good titles!

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

VideoGames posted:

Too many good tittties!

Just make it "come and laugh at Google Stadia" and make it a sticky

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Ineffiable posted:

I used to know someone that kept smurfing the Warcraft 3 random ladder over and over - it was all he did. He got really good at it but it was the only game he really played. So yes, these people exist.

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004

Neddy Seagoon posted:

yeah this one

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

explosivo posted:

I'm sure Verizon is more than willing to get people to try this and get a bunch of free money from people going over their data caps in the first month before they throw it in the garbage.

quote:

This is definitely a part of Google's grander strategy. They want to boost the market's transfer to high speed and no-cap plans, so that customers among other things can consume more content.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

quote:

Yesterday I had an awesome thing happen.

After my family ate dinner my mom asked me to show her how to turn on stadia on the TV. She was surprised at how easily it all worked and before she knew it she was playing Rise of the Tomb Raider. She was learning how to jump from ledge to ledge and getting used to the controls. Then my dad made a funny comment and my mom made him play to see who was better and handed the controller over to him. I was very happy to see them getting into gaming and not once did anyone complain about laggy controls.

Thanks to the fact that everything works with no fuss and gaming is simply a button press away, my parents who would usually feel a bit intimidated by technology were able to enjoy playing a game together.

Good job Stadia!

quote:

Heh, had my brother and fiance drop by while I was playing RDR2 on my tv.
Before I stopped playing (because of a mission) he asked what I was playing on.

4 hours later I had to tell them to go home and yes they could come back and keep working on their farm in FS2019 another day if they wanted...

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Totally organic.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

quote:

I am sure that everybody here has seen the news on the Stadia bundles with BT Telecom and Verizon.

I used to be super picky about my internet and home networking gear. Heck, I even made my parents switch providers because I was a bratty kid who couldn't take minor lag spikes on CS 1.6. So I am being a little skeptical over these partnerships.

It looks like a smart move for Google and the ISPs because of all the bandwidth that needs to be used for gaming... because but is it really going to draw more gamers to Stadia or the ISP?

Would you sign-up or renew with an ISP if they offered Stadia as a freebie? Why or why not?

quote:

If they were selling it as part of an optimised package that ensured 'excellent' quality Stadia connection even via wifi and the package included a Pro sub (and wasn't just priced the same as a basic package but with the monthly Stadia fee on top), then yes - no brainer!

Oh, is that all? You just want the ISP to make Stadia work in any and all conditions?

"If only they could somehow turn Stadia into something that is not Stadia then I'm in!"

:thunk:

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Games parents play on a console: Wii Bowling.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
I absolutely love how the flagship games that are constantly brought up to convince the reader about the power of Stadia is either loving Tomb Raider 2013 or Tomb Raider 2015, which have both been available on basically every single platform for years, frequently for a single digit amount of dollars.

Rise of the Tomb Raider had a loving Xbox 360 port.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

There are way too many people talking about farming simulator 2019. I know it was given out for free to pro but it still feels like they're so desperate for anything to play.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Farming Simulator is one of those games I would buy on sale to prank my friends but now they let you refuse Steam gifts so I can't even do that.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

quote:

Oh yes! Previous to Stadia I never had the time or sometimes motivation to boot up my PC and steam. As a Dadia I can now play anywhere and most days. I have been playing on my lunch break in a corner of the canteen, in cafes, at the barbers, at my desk, bedroom, living room and once on the toilet, as a dad it's sometimes the only peace I get and even then I'm often interrupted with 'daddy I need a poo!'. We have a motorhome and I have even managed to play in that on campsite wifi.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

quote:

Yeah. I still use it. I have just been playing whatever game they give me each month. Most of them I have already on Steam, but getting the game with the $10 subscription each month has actually been good for me. I've been finishing games. I realize the library will get larger and eventually I'll have over 400 hundred games in my stadia library like I do in my steam library, but for now it is kind of nice to have a limited choice. I really like having access to exclusives as well. I know that when exclusives come out, I'll be able to play them. I'm also still excited to see all the features that are only possible on cloud gaming. Either way, the free game each month pays for the subscription in my opinion. I probably would have never played the most recent Tomb Raider series if I didn't have Stadia.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde
Wait a second, I believed that dadia generated here as a troll-ish expression.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

...!
Oct 5, 2003

limaCAT posted:

Wait a second, I believed that dadia generated here as a troll-ish expression.

Nope, the Stadiots came up with it themselves.

https://reddit.com/r/StadiaDadia