Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Visual Basic Bitch
Sep 4, 2019
It really bums me out that the hype this forum used to have for the royal rumble is completely gone. I really thought that was the one gimmick that they'd never be able to ruin, but here we are. Do y'all even do a toxx thread for it anymore?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

Visual Basic Bitch posted:

It really bums me out that the hype this forum used to have for the royal rumble is completely gone. I really thought that was the one gimmick that they'd never be able to ruin, but here we are. Do y'all even do a toxx thread for it anymore?

i think roman reigns coming out at 30 was the last time i'll ever give a poo poo about the royal rumble

Visual Basic Bitch
Sep 4, 2019
I think 2014 ruined it for me, even if it hadn't been outright killed for another year or two. I just...they managed to find a way to get Rey Mysterio booed. Loudly.

edit: and that was probably also some of the loudest pops roman reigns ever got, hilariously

Visual Basic Bitch fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Jan 22, 2020

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

We have over 120 people signed up to the Rumble Roulette so the interest is still there, but WWE hasn't done much to make people too excited for the actual show just yet unfortunately. Toxxes should come naturally rather than being forced, if anybody wants to toxx I'll keep track of it and if there are enough to generate a thread then one will be made.

I'm still hopeful the Rumble will be good, it's still a show concept I really enjoy and I imagine it will be a ton of fun to watch in the moment regardless of whatever the ultimate finish is.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

JUNGLE BOY posted:

i think roman reigns coming out at 30 was the last time i'll ever give a poo poo about the royal rumble

His stretcher nap was my limit.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

I think 2014 ruined it for me, even if it hadn't been outright killed for another year or two. I just...they managed to find a way to get Rey Mysterio booed. Loudly.

edit: and that was probably also some of the loudest pops roman reigns ever got, hilariously
Yeah, if they were really intent on Roman being "the guy" they would've booked him to win it in 2014 and maybe the WWE landscape would be a lot of different today.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

It really bums me out that the hype this forum used to have for the royal rumble is completely gone. I really thought that was the one gimmick that they'd never be able to ruin, but here we are.

Rumble 2014: Batista winning was spoiled to everyone well in advance, Reigns was in the final two, and fans near-rioted because Bryan wasn't even in the match
Rumble 2015: Reigns won in the most negatively received a Rumble has ever been, that got actively worse when Bryan was eliminated barely halfway into the thing, and Reigns winning was spoiled to everyone well in advance
Rumble 2016: HHH won the Rumble and the world title at the same time, and Reigns was in the final three
Rumble 2017: Orton winning was spoiled to everyone well in advance, and Reigns was in the final two
Rumble 2018: Reigns was in the final two yet again, Nakamura actually won! Surprise, they did nothing with it and never planned to, but they sure got you. They even did the same thing with Asuka that same night (which was funnier and better, that actually deserved doing nothing with)

They booked it so terribly for like five years in a row that it wasn't even fun to really even be a bystander for if there was anything you were slightly interested in on TV at the same time. Over the past six months I've really gotten into CW shows like Supergirl and Batwoman, and those both air this Sunday night, so I have something else I can spend my time watching and that I'm sure I'll enjoy

I had to be reminded via Twitter when the Rumble was even happening because the most recent recap here didn't even mention that oh yeah, it's This week, and that's when I looked at (and posted in here) the card because :ohno: it's bad even by their standards. At least last year had Bryan/Styles and Finn/Brock to fool people

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

Chris James 2 posted:

They booked it so terribly for like five years in a row

You're forgetting the 3 before that with the 40 man Rumble in 2011 where nothing of note happened after Punk and the Nexus were gone and boring-rear end ADR won, 2012 where Jericho pulled an iron man and absolutely should have won but didn't in favor of Triple H's workout buddy Sheamus, and 2013 where everybody saw from a light year away that it was going to be Cena to set up the Rock rematch. And even if the matches themselves were good (I remember 2011; it wasn't. The other two have vanished from my brain) I think in the long term a bad winner can really sour the memory of a Rumble.

TriffTshngo fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Jan 22, 2020

Shayna Baszler
Oct 24, 2001

i'll always take care of you
Muldoon
i would just like to state on the record that i am making my annual toxx, and that if either of my roulette champions win their rumble match i will become the new permanent moderator. if my champions fail i will take on the mantle of the one who defeated my final champion.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I hear Ezra Miller showed up in the Flash. That's neat.

Visual Basic Bitch
Sep 4, 2019
Didn't Sheamus win in 2012 because everyone on the planet WWE Universe realized that a returning Chris Jericho was supposed to win and then Vince got pissy about it?

fatherofmustard
May 15, 2018

2018 was good even though the aftermath sucked and 2019 wasn't that bad even though Seth winning was predictable.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

When my history twitter connects with my wrestling world....

http://twitter.com/KevinMKruse/status/1219800147992961026

What is this from?

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

I was happy Seth won and then they absolutely hosed his run sideways over and over while that kid from the Simpsons was screaming.

Like I'm still angry about doing Kofi like that but maybe he's just happy his parallel time with the belt vs Seth's is just an abrupt ending as opposed to a toilet erupting all over him nonstop for months.

And now Seth has the tag belts in a stable with the pair that beat him for the tag belts a year ago.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

When my history twitter connects with my wrestling world....

http://twitter.com/KevinMKruse/status/1219800147992961026

What is this from?

Nerdist used to have a show called Celebrity Bowling, they got WWE folks for one of them. They got yanked off youtube after Chris Hardwick turned out to be a sex pest, but you can still find them on dailymotion:

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x66bzfb

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

karmicknight posted:

Hopefully Cody spooks them into activating the world war three battle royal to keep it out of the hands of AEW.
Perfect gimmick to bring out for the next Saudi show.

Procrastinator
Aug 16, 2009

what?

the 2018 mens rumble was unironically an extremely good and entertaining rumble, and the right person won. the fact that they poo poo the bed right afterwards sours it so hard.

Shawn Cotureier
Jan 21, 2009

Still better than Umberger
Uhhhh Asuka apparently avoided getting killed in a mall shooting

https://twitter.com/WWEAsuka/status/1219821812378488832

https://twitter.com/LVMPD/status/1219819624939716608

Shawn Cotureier fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Jan 22, 2020

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Shawn Cotureier posted:

Uhhhh Asuka apparently avoided getting killed in a mall shooting

https://twitter.com/WWEAsuka/status/1219821812378488832

Tasteless.

I'm sorry and should have thought better of that.

TheKingslayer fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Jan 22, 2020

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
blanking this post too

RealFoxy fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Jan 22, 2020

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Jesus. Glad she's okay.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Holy poo poo. Glad she's okay, hope the people hurt come through okay.

Procrastinator posted:

the 2018 mens rumble was unironically an extremely good and entertaining rumble, and the right person won. the fact that they poo poo the bed right afterwards sours it so hard.

Yeah, they might have screwed the pooch on the follow-up, but Nakamura (and Asuka) winning was legit cool on the night and I really enjoyed that Royal Rumble.

Hopkins FBI
Jan 4, 2015

MY SACRED POSTING VOW IS NOTHING, FOR WHILE I STAKED MY HONOR UPON MY COMMITMENT TO NEVER SUPPORT JOSEPH R. B. JUNIOR I HAVE SCANDALOUSLY ABANDONED MY PRINCIPLES
The 2018 Rumble is the last WWE event I remember enjoying, which worked out well because they started taking blood money right after that.

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009

:thumbsup: get me out of this state / planet

Fentry
Mar 7, 2003

The Rumble is traditionally my favorite thing in wrestling but they have been consistently loving with it for the majority of the last decade which makes it hard to care. Half of them have just been an extension of Roman's current angle that year and this year is just being set up as the Brock show. I'm assuming at least the first half of it will just be him destroying everybody before Cain Velasquez eliminates him to set up a rematch nobody wants.

Visual Basic Bitch
Sep 4, 2019
God, remember that time AJ Styles debuted

Remember how they did nothing but show roman reigns looking confused

Remember how that was so obviously bad that they uploaded a video to youtube that actually showed styles coming out

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
I do remember because WWE recognizing their mistakes is a rarity.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Fentry posted:

The Rumble is traditionally my favorite thing in wrestling but they have been consistently loving with it for the majority of the last decade which makes it hard to care. Half of them have just been an extension of Roman's current angle that year and this year is just being set up as the Brock show. I'm assuming at least the first half of it will just be him destroying everybody before Cain Velasquez eliminates him to set up a rematch nobody wants.

Is there even a particular reason to make it the Brock show this year? I haven't actually watched WWE in a long time and I have no idea what Brock's goals as a champion are, it seemed to me that he was always perfectly content with showing up at Raw once a month and then have a mediocre PPV match. Where is this "Brock is determined to murder everybody" stuff coming from?

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

Grendels Dad posted:

Where is this "Brock is determined to murder everybody" stuff coming from?

Everyone currently on the roster that Brock can have a great match with he has either already faced or is such a non-star that they don't want to put them against Brock. They still want to feature him in a major way, so they put him in the rumble instead.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Vince appears to have the goal of having Brock take a hot dump on every remaining gimmick his PPVs have.

No champ vs champ at survivor series, hosed up mitb, now loving up the rumble.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

God, remember that time AJ Styles debuted

Remember how they did nothing but show roman reigns looking confused

Remember how that was so obviously bad that they uploaded a video to youtube that actually showed styles coming out

They actually put that entire Rumble on Youtube today and left the gently caress up in.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Incessant Excess posted:

Everyone currently on the roster that Brock can have a great match with he has either already faced or is such a non-star that they don't want to put them against Brock. They still want to feature him in a major way, so they put him in the rumble instead.

Jesus, that sounds awful. They have truly booked themselves into a corner with Brock.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Drew winning the Rumble and beating Brock at Mania would save this whole thing. I'm a genius, I know.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Brock will lose the title to Vince in Tampa Bay.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

AJ debuting at the Rumble ruled. Yeah they hosed up the camera cuts but it still ruled and the fixed version they put up online is still something I get a real kick out of watching.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KuBVcsPVPyQ

That pop :vince:

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Bryan still cool.

Daniel Bryan Interview posted:

Q: Is it weird that you have become this symbol for the left among WWE fans, and could that character make it as an actual hero in the WWE?

A: I think so, but it has to be as a champion for the causes of the downtrodden. I like doing it and the lifting up the planet because that's going to help our children. Actually, I'm working with the WWE and its merchandise team. In that whole run, while they did make a Daniel Bryan 'Planet’s Champion' T-shirt, I never wore one to the ring. One of the things I've always felt very guilty about is the amount of stuff that I've specifically sold to people, and I've never done it with the intention of, ‘Oh, I want to sell all these things.’ It's just part of what you do. It's like, OK, you wear your shirt to the ring, so that people see your shirt and buy it. Well, this was a good opportunity for me to be like, ‘Oh, no, I shouldn't wear a shirt to the ring, because I'm the planet’s champion.’ And that's one of the things that I can criticize other people for — they're just out there for other people's money. Now that I'm a good guy again, they're like, ‘Well, we'd really like you to wear a shirt, and let's get back to making T-shirts for you again.’ I was like, ‘Well, I don't really want to do that.’ And so now I'm working with them about that, and the next Daniel Bryan shirts are going to be made out of recycled materials. And I think five plastic water bottles will be used for every shirt. So they'll be made out of plastic water bottles and recycled materials and that, to me, is cool, and that's something that's a good-guy thing that's also kind of environmentally friendly. And I'm also trying to get it — and this is where we're coming into a little bit of a holdup here — where for every shirt that somebody buys, I would like for a tree to be planted. They're balking a little bit on that. I don't need to make any money on these T-shirts. If I'm going to sell anybody anything, or if somebody wants to buy something because it's a Daniel Bryan something, I want it to not only not do harm, but I would like it to do something positive. So, with that kind of attitude, you could see where that would be a thing that people like. I'm not doing it so people will like me. I'm doing it because my guilty conscious of having sold X number of shirts yesterday that were made out of inorganic material — which is horrible for the planet — make me think, ‘No, I'm so bad for the planet.’ But that sort of thing is something you can see people getting behind.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

"The left among WWE fans" more like "the WWE fans left"

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Daniel Bryan is a cool and good dude and far, far, far better than WWE deserves.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Spiderdrake posted:

Vince appears to have the goal of having Brock take a hot dump on every remaining gimmick his PPVs have.

No champ vs champ at survivor series, hosed up mitb, now loving up the rumble.

Don't forget when he caused a HiaC match to end in a no-contest by interfering in it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Brock will be eliminated by a returning Shane McMahon.