Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

The Black Stones posted:

So he wasn’t director but checking online he was still involved as a producer for it. So it’s not like he didn’t have anything to do with it at that point.

To be fair, the title of producer for most media can imply anything from “actively involved in story creation” to “attended a meeting once while hungover”.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

HD DAD posted:

“attended a meeting once while hungover”.

Which, given he was Nomura's protege, is not impossible. Nomura is famously a booze hound around Square offices, Kingdom Hearts Coded exists because he got drunk one night, called up Tabata and then drunkenly did the game's design on a whiteboard

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

HD DAD posted:

To be fair, the title of producer for most media can imply anything from “actively involved in story creation” to “attended a meeting once while hungover”.

He announced his resignation during the DLC stream, if I remember correctly. I think that’s why I thought he was still director for the game. So I’d go out on a limb and say he probably still had some involvement with how things were shaping out.

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013
Reading that bio of his, it seems he was involved with pretty much everything wrong with FF.

Also, FFXV is by far the easiest game in the series. Just max your healing items at the beginning and hold O to win.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

TommyGun85 posted:

Reading that bio of his, it seems he was involved with pretty much everything wrong with FF.

Also, FFXV is by far the easiest game in the series. Just max your healing items at the beginning and hold O to win.

I love that ff15 is both the easiest game in the series and the hardest, if you can believe all complaints about how hard the combat was when the game first came out. Yes, even after we told them about potions and holding down the dodge button. You would think they were playing Sekiro with one hand or something.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Sorry but no action game can be easier than an easy turn-based game. I think that's just literally impossible. FFVIII will always be the easiest game in the series.

It took me forever to find a pic I felt was good enough. Still not entirely happy with this but it was the best I could do. And pardon if the resolution is poo poo, the only way I could play it on my low tier comp.

I don't remember that stuff with The Fierce, The Rogue and the Mystic from the T40s LP. That's new, right? That actually rectifies a sort of criticism I had before I even played the game, about how the game is all about you and your bros and then Ardyn just dismisses them like chumps and you win all on your own. Giving each of the Chocobros their own moment was pretty great.

Overall good game.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Jan 20, 2020

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

jokes posted:

What are all the FF6 good to know things? Like how Vanish always makes all spells hit (like doom) and Magic Evasion works on both phys and mag? There’s like a laundry list of random things that kind of break the game.

Sabin is one of the best characters and most of his blitzes scale off magic (not strength) including his best attack, phantom rush.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

go back to narshe and get mog before you go to the floating island and then go to the underwater river to get his dance

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
https://beforeiplay.com/index.php?title=Final_Fantasy_VI

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Super No Vacancy posted:

go back to narshe and get mog before you go to the floating island and then go to the underwater river to get his dance

If I'm remembering correctly, the fastest way to do this is:
1. Land airship by Nikeah
2. Rent a chocobo and ride it down to the waterfall cave past the Phantom Forest, from Sabin's scenario, and jump down the waterfall
3. Now on the Veldt, go down to the cave and jump in the water to go through the Serpent Trench
4. You should arrive back at Nikeah

Other approaches that include the Lete river from the Returner's Hideout require traversing a bunch of dungeons and take forever.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So with only FF1 and 5 left to beat, I feel very confident in restating my position of the last two years that FFX will always be the best FF game, at least among the mainline numbered entries. I really enjoyed FFXV but the thing that really makes FFX stand out is not just what it does right but what it avoids doing wrong. I can criticize every FF for days, even the ones I really like. All of them have some pretty glaring problems. FFXV had the Empire and their capital just being thoroughly wasted to give a recent example. How on rails everything is after Altissia is another big one.

But FFX? It not only does so many things right, it does so few things wrong. It's final dungeon being lackluster is a nothing complaint compared to the problems with other FF games. Its battle system is great, is story is great, its party is great, the villains are great. the storytelling of the plot and these characters is great, the music is great, the locations are great.... I guess there is the problem of how some of the locations don't feel very connected or sensible, the lightning areas is right next to the ice area or whatever, but I'd still file that under pretty minor complaint.

When bad minigames and a disappointing final dungeon are your biggest flaws, that's pretty remarkable.

I'm not sure where I'll end up putting FFXV in my list of best FFs, though. I need to do the DLC Episodes and more sidequests.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

jokes posted:

What are all the FF6 good to know things? Like how Vanish always makes all spells hit (like doom) and Magic Evasion works on both phys and mag? There’s like a laundry list of random things that kind of break the game.

It's not really a major thing, but my favorite low-key bug is that the Blind status has no effect at all for 12 characters. It does do something, but all it does is prevent Strago learning Lores.

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013

NikkolasKing posted:

So with only FF1 and 5 left to beat, I feel very confident in restating my position of the last two years that FFX will always be the best FF game, at least among the mainline numbered entries. I really enjoyed FFXV but the thing that really makes FFX stand out is not just what it does right but what it avoids doing wrong. I can criticize every FF for days, even the ones I really like. All of them have some pretty glaring problems. FFXV had the Empire and their capital just being thoroughly wasted to give a recent example. How on rails everything is after Altissia is another big one.

But FFX? It not only does so many things right, it does so few things wrong. It's final dungeon being lackluster is a nothing complaint compared to the problems with other FF games. Its battle system is great, is story is great, its party is great, the villains are great. the storytelling of the plot and these characters is great, the music is great, the locations are great.... I guess there is the problem of how some of the locations don't feel very connected or sensible, the lightning areas is right next to the ice area or whatever, but I'd still file that under pretty minor complaint.

When bad minigames and a disappointing final dungeon are your biggest flaws, that's pretty remarkable.

I'm not sure where I'll end up putting FFXV in my list of best FFs, though. I need to do the DLC Episodes and more sidequests.

if you are going to criticize the end of FFXV for being on the rails, then you should at least acknowledge that FFX is probably the 2nd most linear game in the series next to FFXIII.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
I spent an hour in a half on Friday watching my poor friend get hit by birds repeatedly while riding chocobos.

So y’know, there is one set of problems.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

TommyGun85 posted:

if you are going to criticize the end of FFXV for being on the rails, then you should at least acknowledge that FFX is probably the 2nd most linear game in the series next to FFXIII.

FFX is not FFXV. FFX is a linear game from start to finish and it is an expertly done linear game. FFXV 's ending is more like arriving on Pulse in FFXIII. Just going from one extreme to the other and not doing it terribly well.

FFXV is a well done open world game that does not benefit whatsoever from more linear structure in my opinion. The world has loving ended and these people I love have suffered ten years in darkness, I wanna see things more than ever,, not be forced right to the end goal.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

NikkolasKing posted:

Actually, ffx is bad. Checkmate

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

That is a strong argument.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

NikkolasKing posted:

FFX is not FFXV. FFX is a linear game from start to finish and it is an expertly done linear game. FFXV 's ending is more like arriving on Pulse in FFXIII. Just going from one extreme to the other and not doing it terribly well.

FFXV is a well done open world game that does not benefit whatsoever from more linear structure in my opinion. The world has loving ended and these people I love have suffered ten years in darkness, I wanna see things more than ever,, not be forced right to the end goal.

You think ten years is a long time? Ardyn has lived in darkness for ages!

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

mandatory lesbian posted:

Actually, ffx is bad. Checkmate

Counterpoint: it's good, king me

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
I like FFX but it had some soft jazz at the weirdest times

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

A XIV character designer, Ayumi Namae, made a new outfit for Vaan in Dissidia NT and it loving rules

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6eqynzJWWN8

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Very dandy.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Electric Phantasm posted:

A XIV character designer, Ayumi Namae, made a new outfit for Vaan in Dissidia NT and it loving rules

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6eqynzJWWN8

it continues to be incredible just how much having a shirt improves everything about him

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah I think there's another dissidia one that is literally just a shirt and it looks so much better than his strange metal vest

i still think basch has the worst outfit of the XII crew though

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

cock hero flux posted:

it continues to be incredible just how much having a shirt improves everything about him

Trying to save the world, nipples just flapping about under the wind my half assed leather anorak thing showing off my chest.

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...

Help Im Alive posted:

Yeah I think there's another dissidia one that is literally just a shirt and it looks so much better than his strange metal vest

i still think basch has the worst outfit of the XII crew though

Nah. Penelo’s is ridiculous and terrible.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Everyone in the main party but Balthier has a dumb outfit, it's honestly impressive.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
They can't have the rest of the cast upstage The Leading Man™.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

SeanBeansShako posted:

Trying to save the world, nipples just flapping about under the wind my half assed leather anorak thing showing off my chest.

wearing thirty pounds of metal trouser plating in my desert city

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
I tell you, nothing says, "Heartbroken princess fighting to avenge her fallen kingdom," like a hot pink patent leather microskirt.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

W.T. Fits posted:

I tell you, nothing says, "Heartbroken princess fighting to avenge her fallen kingdom," like a hot pink patent leather microskirt.

The Kingdom of Bimbos....a once noble and most holy land.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

W.T. Fits posted:

To be fair, she's incognito when you first meet her. An outfit that defies expectations is kind of the point.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

I love how FF14 even ignores the FF12 outfits for the long term subscriber veteran program and MOGNET. Talk about rejection.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Well fortunately there are mods that can change characters' appearances.

Though I wouldn't call skin-tight chainmail much of an improvement in practicality OR comfort. God, just think of the pinching.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

SeanBeansShako posted:

I love how FF14 even ignores the FF12 outfits for the long term subscriber veteran program and MOGNET. Talk about rejection.

You get vaan and balthier cosplay from the actual content set in ivalice, and viera start with fran’s outfit. I feel like it was more they knew that was coming and wanted to save it for that, especially since the sub rewards program ended with Zidane while it was still probably in development

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Mister Olympus posted:

You get vaan and balthier cosplay from the actual content set in ivalice, and viera start with fran’s outfit. I feel like it was more they knew that was coming and wanted to save it for that, especially since the sub rewards program ended with Zidane while it was still probably in development

I keep forgetting that Alliance Raid is a thing.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Frans shoe situation is the most distressing part of FF12s costuming

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
I dislike Basch's because it literally seems like he borrowed clothing from homeless people and refuses to dress properly.

SeanBeansShako posted:

Vaan's FFTA2 costume is one of the Raid outfits from the Ivalice raids, also Balthier.

Vaan's gear are listed as Shikari and Ulahn gear btw

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

The white shirt variant is the best thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Onmi posted:

I dislike Basch's because it literally seems like he borrowed clothing from homeless people and refuses to dress properly.

i mean he did spend the last few years in jail, maybe he did