Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Daikloktos
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
They originally had a different idea for Aquaman

quote:

"The only thing we took out – that we were asked to take out by DC – was we had a take on Aquaman that I think was in a direction I don't think they wanted Aquaman to go down. [In the film] Jason Momoa is kind of a bro type, like fraternity type and so we dialed that up to like one thousand, and I think it made the character too ridiculous – even for them. So then we put a new take on the character."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice
I like how the Legion of Doom is basically the Hall of Justice from Super Friends.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
I never noticed before but it really does look like someone just decided to make their HQ into Darth Vader's helmet.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Mr. Fowl posted:

I never noticed before but it really does look like someone just decided to make their HQ into Darth Vader's helmet.

More like Dark Helmet from Spaceballs.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Looks more like Black Manta

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Black Manta, winner of DC's Goofiest Helmet award. I was shocked to learn he's got a normal human head under there, and not some kind of sea-creature.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Elfface posted:

Black Manta, winner of DC's Goofiest Helmet award. I was shocked to learn he's got a normal human head under there, and not some kind of sea-creature.

it's smart, when he's swiming if the helmet fits he can gets his shoulder through.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The weirdest thing is he might actually have a valid reason to wear a big goofy helmet since he's a professional submarine pirate who tangles with Atlanteans, but of course wears it all the time out of the water anyway.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Elfface posted:

Well, not always

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Color me surprised (my husband, too, I just showed that to him)! Has he always looked kinda like that, or is that a big ol' retcon? I can't I've ever seen him without his helmet, but I guess I assumed he looked like a human.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Probably a retcon, given other appearances I've seen have him as human.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Including in Aquaman

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
It's not a retcon. During Underworld Unleashed he made a deal with Neron for actual power and was turned into a giant Manta monster. He later crammed his gross new form into his old armor for some reason. He was later restored to his human form, possibly during Infinite Crisis.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Ah, thanks guys! I've never read much Aquaman, and the ones I have didn't feature him. I only know Manta from Superfriends and Young Justice.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Gross Manta Monster

and sharks with hands

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Bruceski posted:

I'm guessing both. Luthor's a both kind of guy.

The best goddamn part of Luthor was that every scene, every single one, included :raise:

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Rhyno posted:

Gross Manta Monster

and sharks with hands

*king shark voice* other sharks with hands?! I can relate to them because it’s really hard to do things without hands. It really makes you appreciate them!

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Black Manta's helmet being huge makes sense (well, comic-book sense) because he's got two gigantic fuckoff energy cannons built into it. Seriously, most of it is probably just the generator.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Yeah the Helmet shoots lasers, and I think it also has a jet or somthing to propel him in the water.

Also while theoretically silly. I have actually always really liked Manta's look.

Two Inch Bee
Apr 17, 2003
Damn you, Lyle, and damn your style.
I completely lost it when Bane says "It seems like politicalici - ly correct... culture is killing the... comedy!"

I wonder if that was a flubbed line in the booth, and they decided to keep it because it was funnier than a clean delivery.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Darth Walrus posted:

Black Manta's helmet being huge makes sense (well, comic-book sense) because he's got two gigantic fuckoff energy cannons built into it. Seriously, most of it is probably just the generator.

it's not exactly hydrodynamic, unless his neck is about a two feet long.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Rocksicles posted:

He's got the next best thing - his head is mostly housed in the neck armour, like Smough from Dark Souls, so the laser turret part can move relatively freely.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Rocksicles posted:

That's what the port and starboard attachments are for.

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice

Two Inch Bee posted:

I completely lost it when Bane says "It seems like politicalici - ly correct... culture is killing the... comedy!"

I wonder if that was a flubbed line in the booth, and they decided to keep it because it was funnier than a clean delivery.

Yeah it was perfect because they even cut away as he was still talking.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice
The look on King Shark's face when the aquarium broke was great.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Harley Quinn Is Absolutely Nailing How Hard Getting Over Bad Breakups Can Be @ io9

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

There's some interesting subtext with Harley's whole origin; canonically, we generally assume that the Joker is recreating his origin with her- but to do that authentically, he should have pushed Harley in, as he was knocked in by accident. Harley taking a swan dive into that vat willingly highlights a major difference between them already. Especially with the episode showing glimpses into her past that she was already messed up from childhood, and in some ways might be worse than he is.

One of the most interesting aspects of the Joker is his detachment; his sadism, depravity and mischief when it comes to doing crimes and making people suffer needs no introduction, but he seems almost anhedonic otherwise; you can't imagine the Joker enjoying a nice meal, or a fine cigar, or almost any form of entertainment that doesn't come at someone else's expense. (Aside from Joker's Millions, which is quite out of character in general being a transplanted Silver Age story, but that is forgiven because it's really funny. Also the time he sold his soul for a box of cigars, but that was probably for the irony points given he could have asked for superpowers and would have received them) One of his scariest and most alienating aspects is that he discards people at a whim, usually when they cease to provide entertainment and novelty, and has his greatest fascination with the one person who goes the most out of their way to counter and present an antithesis to everything he is.

Harley Quinn's whole thing, on the other hand, is that she cares. One of Joker's more identifiable psychological traits is almost certain sociopathy (he fits pretty much every single requirement), while Harley definitely is not- though she has similar traits for other reasons, traits which the Joker actively cultivated because he finds them both admirable and amusing. She found him fascinating at first, but I think one of the key things leading to their breakup is the novelty wore off and he took her for granted. The big difference between them is the Joker sees no need to ever change who he is, and really can't conceive of it, while Harley's entire thing turns out to be willingly transforming herself- she took the dive into the acid vat, she picked up the bat and fought her way out of Joker's clutches, she's starting her own villain team and making a name for herself to be a different- and in her eyes, better- person than she was the day before.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
There was a great "come to Jesus" moment in Paul Dini's Gotham City Sirens series where Selina Kyle is talking with Harley about her complicated relationship with Batman, and while she's talking about it, Harley can't help but see that she's in the exact same situation. Selina lamented that even when she was with Batman, she was never truly with him, because when she looked into his eyes he wasn't there - he was hours or days ahead, thinking of what was next, and how you can't ever really come to love someone like that, because they can't ever really love you - because they love the game more, and by extension, those who keep them playing.

If you really want to see the ultimate potential of Harley, though - get your hands on the relatively new "White Knight" books.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Ghost Leviathan posted:

There's some interesting subtext with Harley's whole origin; canonically, we generally assume that the Joker is recreating his origin with her- but to do that authentically, he should have pushed Harley in, as he was knocked in by accident. Harley taking a swan dive into that vat willingly highlights a major difference between them already. Especially with the episode showing glimpses into her past that she was already messed up from childhood, and in some ways might be worse than he is.

Should note the Harley jumping into the vat thing, is a relatively new thing. Originally she just wore makeup.

Ubik_Lives
Nov 16, 2012

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I wish they had gone the other way though. I would have preferred Harley lamenting that she ever loved the Joker enough to jump into the acid, only to find out he was being emotionally manipulative or just outright pushing her in, and she re-contextualised it. I know it’s basically a retread of the first episode, but I think the message of being abused is never your fault is a message worth repeating. The idea that you aren’t defined by your mistakes is nice, but it feels hollow when the entire series has been dealing with the fallout of that mistake. Plus changing the origin from the start of her relationship with the Joker to the end of it, is still defining her in reference to the Joker. Could you not have her change it to when she starts her own crew or something?

Also, it’s super weird to see that she has these deep-rooted pre-existing psychoses, and then to have Ivy state how she’s the only good person in the group. And not just that, but Harley is just so inconsiderate to Ivy it’s not funny. She knows Ivy has issues with people, so she invites randoms over to live there. She destroys Ivy’s property constantly, and just tries to fix it with money. She never listens to a word Ivy says, and emotionally blackmails her to get what she wants. It’s not outright stated, but it feels like the main reason Ivy is afraid of being able to be open about her relationship with Kiteman is because Harley will judge her on it. And when Harley learns lessons, she just learns to get other people to be better for her. Wrecking Ivy’s stuff? Get Psycho and Clayface to be better people. Putting herself above others? Get Batman to be a better person.

But Clayface used Ivy’s hairbrush without asking, and King Shark clapped when Batman broke out of the vines, so screw those guys.

I’m guessing the long term plan is to have Kiteman be considerate but without ambition, and Harley to have ambition but inconsiderate, and it will be Harley that finally learns to be both, but it would have been nice not to fill Harley's brain with fundamental red flags, and then have Ivy go "Yeah, better put a ring on this".

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern

BIG HEADLINE posted:

If you really want to see the ultimate potential of Harley, though - get your hands on the relatively new "White Knight" books.

I've only read the first run, but I LOVE the twist that Paul-Dini-Harlequin-Outfit-Wearing-Ex-Psychologist-Ditzy Harley and Arkham-Games-Slash-Suicide-Squad-Slutty-Dressing-Anarchic Harley are two different people and the Joker didn't even notice when the first one left him and the other showed up.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
YOU GUYS

Did you know there's an official Doom Patrol soundtrack?

Because now I have a full version of Matt Bomer singing People Like Us and it's the best thing ever.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Ubik_Lives posted:

I’m guessing the long term plan is to have Kiteman be considerate but without ambition, and Harley to have ambition but inconsiderate, and it will be Harley that finally learns to be both, but it would have been nice not to fill Harley's brain with fundamental red flags, and then have Ivy go "Yeah, better put a ring on this".

Well, above all else, it's a farce. So you mmmmmay be overthinking this a bit.

Secondly, they're already swerving in that direction with Harley and Ivy having a massive spat and not talking to each other currently. So it is being addressed.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

Should note the Harley jumping into the vat thing, is a relatively new thing. Originally she just wore makeup.

At her inception, she just wore makeup but her mental state was always in question. After New52, her origin was revamped such that she was pushed into the chemicals and made to be crazy. This one modifies it slightly such that she jumps in.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Probably been mentioned, but might be something ominous about Poison Ivy's love interest being Kite Man. Or ironic.

Xelkelvos posted:

At her inception, she just wore makeup but her mental state was always in question. After New52, her origin was revamped such that she was pushed into the chemicals and made to be crazy. This one modifies it slightly such that she jumps in.

On a meta level it kinda feels fitting; being a relatively new character, she doesn't have as much established setpieces to her origin, and also as the Joker's sidekick, she shares many of his traits, so it's only fitting for that to include a murky, multiple-choice backstory- and it feels most fitting for all that the Joker consciously recreating his own origin story with her turns out to have a twist that totally changes the context. It's not the first time Joker's tried to force someone into the same vat that made him, or even succeeded (see DCAU Jack Ryder, aka the Creeper), but it is the first time someone willingly dove in.

Also probably fitting for a show about dysfunctional relationships and getting over an abusive partner is that Harley has to face the past honestly rather than her romanticisation of it, but she can also recontextualise her past- she doesn't have to delude herself about what happened, but can draw new conclusions (and create new delusions) based on what she took away from it in hindsight.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Dave Syndrome posted:

I've only read the first run, but I LOVE the twist that Paul-Dini-Harlequin-Outfit-Wearing-Ex-Psychologist-Ditzy Harley and Arkham-Games-Slash-Suicide-Squad-Slutty-Dressing-Anarchic Harley are two different people and the Joker didn't even notice when the first one left him and the other showed up.

I wonder if this ties in with something else impressively ridiculous the comics have done: confirmed that there's up to three Jokers running around Gotham independently at the same time.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Probably been mentioned, but might be something ominous about Poison Ivy's love interest being Kite Man. Or ironic.

Ivy has a canonical penchant for killing "tiresome lovers," so...yeah.

Pretty sure she's into Kite Man because even though he's a douchebag, he seems *aware* he's a non-threatening douchebag and he willfully dials it back when she calls him on it. She's a woman who gets off on controlling people, and she very clearly has near-complete control over him *without* using her pheromones.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Ivy has a canonical penchant for killing "tiresome lovers," so...yeah.

Pretty sure she's into Kite Man because even though he's a douchebag, he seems *aware* he's a non-threatening douchebag and he willfully dials it back when she calls him on it. She's a woman who gets off on controlling people, and she very clearly has near-complete control over him *without* using her pheromones.

I'd question the "complete control" thing because its pretty clear he's not afraid to walk away from the sex if she's embarrassed to be seen with him in public. She's even the one to make the effort to fix things.

If anything she's clearly not as diehard "I don't care what people think" as she claims while he actually does have the self confidence to not worry about others putting them on relatively level playing fields in the relationship.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I wonder if this ties in with something else impressively ridiculous the comics have done: confirmed that there's up to three Jokers running around Gotham independently at the same time.

This isn't accurate. They introduced the plot thread of three Jokers but have done nothing with it at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

His self-confidence is definitely part of it. He *has* to know Ivy could kill him at any moment but he still keeps going.