Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Arrival is a great introduction to the fun of linguistics, but it's a very neoliberal film.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

A HORNY SWEARENGEN posted:

Post in the star war forum, imo

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM

yeah like I'm going to trust a smuggler

Andro Dunos
Dec 11, 2003

Still can't believe Michael Sheen impregnated Kate Beckinsale.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Stink Billyums posted:

yeah like I'm going to trust a smuggler

Dash Rendar is quite the interesting fellow.

https://lparchive.org/Star-Wars-Shadows-of-the-Empire/

quote:

Hold on, what is Shadows Of The Empire?

This was an experiment done by Lucasfilm Ltd. in 1996. The challenge was to create a Star Wars property that explored all the commercial possibilities available short of making a brand new film. The story itself, Shadows Of The Empire, was set in the period of time between The Empire Strikes Back (TESB) and The Return Of The Jedi (TROJ)--at this point in time, an area no Expanded Universe property had explored.

Ultimately, the project was very successful. George Lucas was such a fan of it that he reportedly commented that he would have made the story into an actual Star Wars film if he had the time and effort to do so in the early 80s.

There is also a thing about him being fraud but I can't find it.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Inception is the only great Nolan movie to me.

I like to learn about the difference betwern human languages, even watched a couple college lectures about languages. The way Arrival script tried to add a layer of power on language make no sense. Its dumber than the plot in Interstaller.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

stephenthinkpad posted:

I like to learn about the difference betwern human languages, even watched a couple college lectures about languages. The way Arrival script tried to add a layer of power on language make no sense. Its dumber than the plot in Interstaller.

You don't like Memento?

To me, much like Interstellar, Inception has some great scenes and visuals, but ultimately most of it lands flat.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Rinkles posted:

You don't like Memento?

To me, much like Interstellar, Inception has some great scenes and visuals, but ultimately most of it lands flat.

I didn't like Memento as much when I watched it the 2nd time. I might have to watch it again to properly describe why the script felt too cute to me.

Inception to me is a masterfully crafted piece of clockwork in movie form.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I was interested enough in Arrival to read the short story first. It was ok. The movie was ok. IIRC, the movie had a much stronger emotional impact of her decision about her daughter in the end, though it used a pretty dumb device. In the story, her understanding of the alien language gives her predictive knowledge of the future, but she can't change any of it, likening herself to an actor on a stage restricted to saying her lines. Her daughter dies in a car crash. In the movie, it's clear she chooses to conceive this daughter, who she already "knows" from having memories of her, and she already knows will die very young, presumably out of a love of this person who doesn't exist yet, or some fealty to the sacredness of life. This daughter dies from a rare incurable movie trope disease.
At least, that's what I remember, and I'm not reading the story or watching the movie again to confirm.

I also remember in the movie the alien straight up saying "You can see the future," spelled out, right there, for those in the audience who had fallen asleep.

doctorfrog fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Jan 22, 2020

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017
What's happening? Dri fu an only two? what is this?
Is this an avatar? I don't know rm dunk

Inception was just kind of there. Mostly very dull characters

If a movie has bad or uninteresting characters it just won't grab me

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Fartbox posted:

Inception was just kind of there. Mostly very dull characters

If a movie has bad or uninteresting characters it just won't grab me

Mcconaughey was Interstellar's saving grace.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
MMMMMUUUUURRRRRPPPPHHHHHHHH

CASE and TARS are amazing characters. God I love TARS. They even had a cute TARS twitter or something like that.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

oohhboy posted:

There is also a thing about him being fraud but I can't find it.

that's a blast from the past. sound quality is kinda rough in the first couple vids, but i got it sorted out around the Asteroid Field.

the "fraud"thing i kinda baked it into the LP. the comic, novel, and some other media all corroborate each other rather well. it's the video game where it all kinda falls apart--and that's the only part of the media franchise where Dash is the POV character. like, say, in the Battle of Hoth he downs on AT-AT. impressive enough considering only a few other pilots accomplished that (ie Wedge and Luke), but in the game he downs not one, but THREE AT-ATs. there's also the fighting off Boba Fett one-on-one when in reality he ran away without landing on Gall, boarding the Suprosa ship to single-handedly kill every Imperial troop and grab the Death Star plans instead of a group of Bothans, and the fact that Xixor specifically calls out Rendar as being a thorn in his side in the game and sending a giant mecha bot to kill him when in every other EU bit Xixor never met Dash.

in short: Dash is a hack fraud.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
A lot of it is "Because video game" so it's pretty safe to say that narrative is largely unintentional. Dash being a Hack Fraud is endlessly amusing and more interesting than telling the story straight. Especially so since it was such a large project. Would have been ballsy af.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

stephenthinkpad posted:

Interesting way to spell "The Prestige".

I rewatched Inception a couple months back and while I liked it a lot better the second time around, and it's a very well crafted film, ultimately it's just kind of there. I thought Cillian Murphy's character arc was the most compelling & satisfying.

Meat Wagon
Jul 14, 2004
Does anyone have any good directors commentary recommendations? I recently listened to a few John Carpenter ones and they were a really fun listen and I wouldn't mind hearing a few more. I know the Conan movies have great ones and I heard the Ben Affleck track on Armageddon is amazing.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Laterite posted:

Interesting way to spell "The Prestige".

Andro Dunos
Dec 11, 2003

doctorfrog posted:

IIRC, the movie had a much stronger emotional impact of her decision about her daughter in the end, though it used a pretty dumb device. In the story, her understanding of the alien language gives her predictive knowledge of the future, but she can't change any of it, likening herself to an actor on a stage restricted to saying her lines. Her daughter dies in a car crash. In the movie, it's clear she chooses to conceive this daughter, who she already "knows" from having memories of her, and she already knows will die very young, presumably out of a love of this person who doesn't exist yet, or some fealty to the sacredness of life. This daughter dies from a rare incurable movie trope disease.

In the original story the daughter dies in a climbing accident. Also Louise chooses to conceive her daughter knowing ahead of time what her life and death will be in both versions. I think it has more impact in the movie because the daughter is sick and suffering rather than dying suddenly.

Overall the movie is a stronger narrative than the original story, which tends to get bogged down in technical and linguistic lessons. In the story it's never explained why the aliens visited or what they wanted. Even their language has no practical use because the future cannot be changed.

Ted Chiang is an interesting writer (his story "Tower of Babylon" is great) and I wish he would write more. I think in 30 years he's only written 15 things.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

The Prestige was loving dumb.
Hmm the wizard Nikola Tesla gave me a magic replicator that can create anything including people, what's the dumbest possible application for such a device?

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
Yeah I actually thought it was really silly that the crux of the movie was that Tesla had invented cloning somehow and that it was used as the explanation for the tricks

What? :psyduck:

Thats literally c-movie schlock plotting

luchajones
Jan 28, 2018

I have no beard, and I must scream

bitterandtwisted posted:

Hmm the wizard Nikola Tesla

Josh's great great grandfather

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Ultra Carp

A HORNY SWEARENGEN posted:

Do you think Anakin's mom had a huge bush or did Sheev smash shaved slave Shmee?

:thunk:

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Ultra Carp

Raskolnikov38 posted:

at the exit of the avatar theme park a native american should just beat the poo poo out of you

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Are we allowed to post about Star Citizen in the Star Wars sub

did anyone catch any comments before they got turned off

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

bitterandtwisted posted:

Hmm the wizard Nikola Tesla gave me a magic replicator that can create anything including people, what's the dumbest possible application for such a device?

It also has unrealistic portrait of female character, more so than other bad Nolan women.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

lmao

https://twitter.com/JennyENicholson/status/1219850690681376773?s=20

luchajones
Jan 28, 2018

Who buys that crap?

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Somebody will kickstart an execuvation party to dig it up from a landfill.

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

PerniciousKnid posted:

Then the "is he still dreaming?" is tacked on to the end to make everything seem more profound than it is.

This scene is less about "is he still dreaming?" (I'm not spoiling that, the movie's been out for a decade) and more about showing Leo's character has ditched his obsession with figuring out whether he's in the real world, instead opting to say "gently caress it" and be reunited with his kids. He has accepted that this reality in which he has achieved his primary goal might not be reality at all, and has chosen to embrace it . The audience isn't meant to know if he's still dreaming because he doesn't know, or more importantly he doesn't care.

It's sort of like the end of Annihilation in that the discussion ends up being about the literal events on screen and what they imply about the story rather than what they imply about the characters themselves.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

stephenthinkpad posted:

Somebody will kickstart an execuvation party to dig it up from a landfill.

Angry Video Game Nerd: "Look at this piece of gently caress abandoned plotline"

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Inception sucked big time. Nolan films got worse and worse as he goes on. Begins/Prestige are the last great ones. TDK is good. Rises sucks balls along with Interstellar and the rest

luchajones
Jan 28, 2018

I'm curious on his new one coming out. No clue what it is about tho

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Dunkirk was fine. Wouldn't bother watching it again though.
Insomnia was OK.

Those are my two favourite Nolan movies.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

luchajones posted:

Inception

except things go backwards

luchajones
Jan 28, 2018

I hope he cant even spin a top

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

luchajones posted:

It looks like a big scifi movie with a big reverse time gimmick/twist. It's movie adoptation of that Burnout Crash game with the rewind button.

stephenthinkpad fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Jan 22, 2020

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

lmfao AGH is a mod of the new star wars forum

WHAT?!

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

stephenthinkpad posted:

It looks like a big scifi movie with a big reverse time gimmick/twist. It's movie adoptation of that Burnout Crash game with the rewind button.

it's actually a Blinx the Time Sweeper movie

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

oohhboy posted:

MMMMMUUUUURRRRRPPPPHHHHHHHH

CASE and TARS are amazing characters. God I love TARS. They even had a cute TARS twitter or something like that.

ye TARS is probably one of the best sci fi robots of all time. Such a great design and fuctionality

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

thx jeny this is interesting