Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
It's true. It was deep enough to require some brains, but not too much of a simulator to be boring.

It's got a fun story, your character even gets to join a secret order of the Emperor and get a badass tattoo.

What's more fun than flying around in a shielded TIE Fighter making mince meat of X-wings and Mon Cal cruisers? Nothing. You can still buy it and play it today. Do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Who is Admiral Aken Bosch, and what is that old scoundrel up to?

https://lparchive.org/Tie-Fighter/Update%201/

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

That's loving beautiful.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I bought a flight stick just for this a couple of years ago and it rules.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Roth posted:

So real talk, which version TIE Fighter? The Collectors CD that runs on DOS or the Win95 version?

If it's the DOS version, can you point me in the right direction for configuring a flight stick (and which one to buy). When I played it back in the day I just had a 4 button Gravis Gamepad.

edit: I'll add this here, DO NOT play the Win95 version. It loving sucks. It uses the same engine as X-Wing Vs. Tie Fighter and it's loving awful. You want the Collectors CD-ROM Edition.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Jose Oquendo posted:

So real talk, which version TIE Fighter? The Collectors CD that runs on DOS or the Win95 version?

If it's the DOS version, can you point me in the right direction for configuring a flight stick (and which one to buy). When I played it back in the day I just had a 4 button Gravis Gamepad.

To be honest, I just picked up the the flight stick that I saw in the Super Bunnyhop video on the game.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00009OY9U/ref=dp_cerb_1

I haven't had any real issues with it, but I played the Collectors CD version.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Roth posted:

To be honest, I just picked up the the flight stick that I saw in the Super Bunnyhop video on the game.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00009OY9U/ref=dp_cerb_1

I haven't had any real issues with it, but I played the Collectors CD version.

I actually may have one of those in a box somewhere. I'll have to dust it off and see if I can get it running.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

loving LP classic right there

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

It's very very good OP the only thing that might be better is if KOToR 2 had been released in a completed state

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

I remember hoping X-Wing Alliance was gonna be like what Freelancer turned out to be. I still dig XWA but TF is still the best one all around.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
No joke when I saw the new movie I thought the opening crawl was way too smooth, like they turned on motion interpolation, but I looked on YouTube, I guess the originals were like that too. I have become so used to TIE Fighter I was expecting it to look like that!

Also if you're playing TIE Fighter for DOS the joystick will have 2 buttons and X and Y axis only. You could use dosbox keymapper to map the R key and stuff I guess.

I still like X-Wing Alliance a lot too.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Charles posted:

No joke when I saw the new movie I thought the opening crawl was way too smooth, like they turned on motion interpolation, but I looked on YouTube, I guess the originals were like that too. I have become so used to TIE Fighter I was expecting it to look like that!

Also if you're playing TIE Fighter for DOS the joystick will have 2 buttons and X and Y axis only. You could use dosbox keymapper to map the R key and stuff I guess.

I still like X-Wing Alliance a lot too.

I wish X-Wing Alliance got a sequel or at least a story expansion pack like Balance of Power. It's been like 20 years and I still want to know what the hell Antaan Azameen was up to with his big dumb double cross in the third act which he then skips away from and out of the plot with no consequences. rear end in a top hat needed some comeuppance hard.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Ms Adequate posted:

It's very very good OP the only thing that might be better is if KOToR 2 had been released in a completed state

swtor sith warrior light side=pwnage

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

g_saberrealisticcombat

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

well why not posted:

g_saberrealisticcombat

:allears:

helpusobi 1

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Yes.

The starfighter combat in Battlefront 2 (the new one) is pretty fun, just use all those assets, make the first person cockpit view standard and let you press buttons and give it a campaign.

Throw in VR/headtracking support too I guess.

They did a one off mission for the first battlefront in VR on playstation, just flesh that out, make the flight controls a bit more 'realistic' and get a bunch of actors to do all the cutscenes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Rm8sbstvr4&t=124s

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug

Roth posted:

:same:
Except it was over 20 years ago.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Mooey Cow posted:

:same:
Except it was over 20 years ago.

yeah same but it was x-wing for mac

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

I forgot how good this LP was.

nine-gear crow posted:

I wish X-Wing Alliance got a sequel or at least a story expansion pack like Balance of Power. It's been like 20 years and I still want to know what the hell Antaan Azameen was up to with his big dumb double cross in the third act which he then skips away from and out of the plot with no consequences. rear end in a top hat needed some comeuppance hard.

Hell, same.

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
A good essay on Dark Forces games vs. Doom games from the graveyard of the internet

You may remember Dark Forces as the Star Wars Doom clone from the 90s that went on to spawn classic sequels such as Jedi Knight: Dark Forces 2, and Jedi Outcast: Jedi Knight 2: Dark Forces 3, and of course who can forget: Jedi Academy: Jedi Outcast 2: Jedi Knight 3: Dark Forces 4: A Star War Story.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

I just got the steam version working with a game pad and I’m loving thrilled. Not quite as good as playing with a joystick but gently caress me those got expensive and I’m not spending $50+ on a peripheral I’ll use for a small handful of games.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I haven't played this in about 20 years, I'll have to try getting a gamepad to work with it.

I still remember the mission briefing for the final mission- don't recall if it's the final mission of the main campaign or the expansion- was just "DESTROY EVERYTHING! KILL! KILL! KILL!"

hell yeah, for the glory of the Empire

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

The way the final debriefing caps everything off in one line is pretty great. (Spoilers for those who have never played this or have played but forgotten)

Thank you for your service to the Empire. You’ve punished all the traitors and routed the rebels. Your chest is full of medals and you’ve reached the highest levels of the Emperor’s secret order, earning praise and notice from the man himself.

Now we await word of our victory at Endor! :haw:

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

I agree OP. The second best is probably dark forces 3: jedi knight 2: jedi outcast, or maybe the kotors

ty manifisto

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Looks like someone forgot about motherfuckin' Star Wars Episode I Racer

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

I remember the whole Treachery at whatever mission halfway through blowing my 10 year old mind and thinking "this is kickin rad :snoop:"

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Mooey Cow posted:

A good essay on Dark Forces games vs. Doom games from the graveyard of the internet

You may remember Dark Forces as the Star Wars Doom clone from the 90s that went on to spawn classic sequels such as Jedi Knight: Dark Forces 2, and Jedi Outcast: Jedi Knight 2: Dark Forces 3, and of course who can forget: Jedi Academy: Jedi Outcast 2: Jedi Knight 3: Dark Forces 4: A Star War Story.

Dark Forces is the FPS Star Wars game I remember the best.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

I said come in! posted:

Dark forces still plays surprisingly well. You can find it on Steam for something like 99 cents whenever lucas arts stuff goes on sale.

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

I played KOTOR 1 for like 30 hours straight so it gets my vote.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

Roman Reigns posted:

The way the final debriefing caps everything off in one line is pretty great. (Spoilers for those who have never played this or have played but forgotten)

Thank you for your service to the Empire. You’ve punished all the traitors and routed the rebels. Your chest is full of medals and you’ve reached the highest levels of the Emperor’s secret order, earning praise and notice from the man himself.

Now we await word of our victory at Endor! :haw:

lol

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Republic Commando owns

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Gonna slice the poo poo out of some terminals. Maybe plant a bomb. Hitting the exact same two buttons repeatedly for 15 seconds. Hell yeah!

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I said come in! posted:

The best part of Dark Forces is the level design doesn't treat you like a baby.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Tie fighter is true star wars, everything else is a spin off including the movies.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
The only worst thing about TIE Fighter is that you can't roll and dive at the same time. When you hit the roll button, any X input engages your throttle. How the hell am I supposed corkscrew away from the bullshit A-Wings?

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

Yeah I hate that and it sucks you can't rebind controls to something more modern. But it's still a better game than any other modern space game

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
We just have to wait for XWVM to finish up and then move on to Tie Fighter!
Or somebody bug the Totally Games people to release the source code to speed things up!

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

We need to get the estranged granddaughter of Chris Roberts to convince Lawrence Holland to come back and make a new X-Wing series

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Serious Post: If you bought X-Wing Alliance on Steam or GOG, then you should check out the X-Wing Alliance Upgrade Project or XWAUP. It's a still-ongoing total makeover of the game that takes all the janky 1990s models and replaces them with new highly detailed and textured ones and makes the game look great on modern systems.

Sad that it's only for XWA and not the original X-Wing/TIE Fighter/XvT, but it's better than nothing. Check it out. For your health.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

If you're insane there's a half-finished Star Wars mod for DCS World in development and currently playable

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0W1py-3nqmo