Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should Gaj make his own thread
This poll is closed.
Yes, make a new thread 6 54.55%
No, keep things just how they are 5 45.45%
Total: 11 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Play posted:

I've definitely noticed that boomer age people are very sensitive to talk of death, like it's some dirty little secret that won't be able to hurt us if we don't talk about it. Like, poo poo man. We're all gonna die it is what it is now move on
Only if it's their death though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Boomer tech ignorance was at its worst in the late 90s and early 2000s before stuff like Chrome and Mozilla had built in protections and adblocker extensions.

I vividly remember spending weekends at my aunt's house and being offered use of the computer. Just every toolbar imaginable installed, loving bonsai buddy, a million "anti-virus" popups assaulting me left and right. Countless free games riddled with spyware and adware. It's harder to gently caress up computers that bad today. It's still possible, but harder.

Although I guess the plus side of it was that they weren't really online that much. The internet felt a lot younger back then, now boomers are getting their brains melted on places like Reddit and 4chan (well, everyone is)

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Thank heavens for tablets and smartphones.

That’s not to say a Boomer can’t muck one of those up too, but it’s exponentially easier to troubleshoot.

“Do you back up to iCloud? Ok, reset and call me tomorrow. Oh, you don’t back up to iCloud? Then buy some space, back up, reset, and call me tomorrow.”

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Elderbean posted:

The internet felt a lot younger back then, now boomers are getting their brains melted on places like Reddit and 4chan (well, everyone is)

and youtube. in the mid 2000's every mainstream news site had a comments section on the bottom of each article and these places were magnets for the shittiest boomer takes and then by the end of the 2000's all those news websites realized what a terrible idea it was and shut that all down and the whole thing moved over to social media

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Play posted:

Ah of course, for some reason when you said "he stole a lot of stuff" I was thinking like physical stuff, but yeah a large part of the history of American music is black modes of music being coopted by white artists to suddenly great success

Now I'm laughing at the mental image of Elvis running down the street with a bunch of amps and guitars tucked under his arms while cables drag behind him.

Leon Einstein posted:

They love bitching about kids getting free school lunches. Kids should suffer because their parents are failures. It gets them tingly knowing innocent kids are going hungry.

Then three seconds before that they talk about being "pro-life".

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

CPL593H posted:

wellllll having kids is a choice, you didn’t have to have sex. :smuggo:

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

e.pilot posted:

wellllll having kids is a choice, you didn’t have to have sex. :smuggo:

I see more "Well I had to have my kids, it shouldn't be something you just don't have to do" which reveals a lot.

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005
I just found out this song exist, Free Form Guitar
It makes me want to get as big rear end speakers as possible and annoy the gently caress out of boomers, and when they ask "what is this noise?," I will answer back: Chicago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1soGncyUFg

mazzi Chart Czar fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Jan 21, 2020

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!

twistedmentat posted:

And Journey has ONE good song and its not Don't Stop Believing. It's Separate Ways.
:hmmyes:

The Breakfast Sampler
Jan 1, 2006

Elderbean posted:

Boomer tech ignorance was at its worst in the late 90s and early 2000s before stuff like Chrome and Mozilla had built in protections and adblocker extensions.

I vividly remember spending weekends at my aunt's house and being offered use of the computer. Just every toolbar imaginable installed, loving bonsai buddy, a million "anti-virus" popups assaulting me left and right. Countless free games riddled with spyware and adware. It's harder to gently caress up computers that bad today. It's still possible, but harder.

this, plus the worst part of being "good with computers" in this era is that they would. not. listen. to basic common sense about installing poo poo like this, because the computer was telling them to (somehow) and you were just some idiot kid.

JonathonSpectre
Jul 23, 2003

I replaced the Shermatar and text with this because I don't wanna see racial slurs every time you post what the fuck

Soiled Meat

The Breakfast Sampler posted:

this, plus the worst part of being "good with computers" in this era is that they would. not. listen. to basic common sense about installing poo poo like this, because the computer was telling them to (somehow) and you were just some idiot kid.

Listen you little whippersnapper I just won not one but TWO free iPads because I'm the millionth visitor!

>computer now takes 3.5 hours to boot up<

naem
May 29, 2011

“don’t you tell me what to do I’m your elder!!”

*5 minutes later*

“Oh God please tell me what to do!!!”

*thing works now*

“Well, that wasn’t so hard! I probably didn’t even need you! You kids think you’re sooo clever, looks like I won’t need YOU around anymore bucko heh”

*five minutes later*

“Oh God it’s BEEPING again!! Why are all these BUTTONS flashing??? How do I wifi these PDF’s??”

*puts on and takes off glasses repeatedly*

*talking into mouse like a microphone*

HELLO??

*Childlike flailing*

Mr. Merdle
Oct 17, 2007

THE GREAT MANBABY SUCCESSOR

e.pilot posted:

The problem with office updates is that the changes aren’t iterative, every new version is like a completely different program and things are moved around seemingly arbitrarily. Which whatever, spend a few weeks getting used to it and move on with life, but it’s still poo poo software design.

Sorry, I know this is several pages back. But it touches on a bigger issue that boomers have. they don't learn the language of a process. They just learn rote memorization of the process.

my example would be cameras. I understand the general knowledge of symbols used on most cameras. I know that if I see a small box with a rectangle in it, it will bring up images stored on the card for review.

A lot of boomer mines don't think that way. They learn through memorization of locations. If a button has moved from it's original place, they don't understand how to use it.

This is the same reason you see a lot of boomers in the trades who do things the way they were taught and no other way. They don't think about why they are doing something, they just do what they were told. That's how we get five different carpenters with different ways of doing things and all convinced that their way is right.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

This is basically like every relative that finds out you're "good with computers"
https://theoatmeal.com/comics/computers

I do have an uncle who would do the "you're good with computers can you help me with x?" but he always paid me (way to much honestly) and never really asked for anything too crazy. I think the craziest thing he asked was for me to install a new graphics card in his computer so he could play Sims, or put windows on a new HD.

That being said, I have friends who had the family member who clearly was going to sketchy as gently caress websites and infecting them with every known virus, trojan and worm in existence to look at badly photoshopped pictures of Agent Scully and 7 of 9 and expected their nephew to come over and fix it but without removing Bonzai Buddy.

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:

Lil Peeler posted:

That's how we get five different carpenters with different ways of doing things and all convinced that their way is right.

One of the first things I learned at my job is "nobody does it the same way as anybody else". Training a newbie takes anywhere from four months to a year and you work with multiple trainers over that time. If you're an inflexible type, you won't make the cut.

10% of the crew are boomers, and Alfred is an okay guy.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

dee eight posted:

One of the first things I learned at my job is "nobody does it the same way as anybody else". Training a newbie takes anywhere from four months to a year and you work with multiple trainers over that time. If you're an inflexible type, you won't make the cut.

10% of the crew are boomers, and Alfred is an okay guy.

Are you a Robin

Andro Dunos
Dec 11, 2003

Lazyfire posted:

My mom pays things by check because her "credit card information keeps getting stolen" and somehow she hasn't linked this to the multiple times her email has been hijacked and the shady deals sites she buys things from. Instead of changing the behavior that causes the problem she just writes checks for in person purchases and pays bills by mail while buying metric tons of cheap crap from lowpriceshoes.com or whatever.

I know a woman at work who has her bank terminate all her current credit and debit cards and send her new ones with new numbers every six months, because she's convinced a hacker or identity thief will steal her info some day, but if the cards keep changing they "can't catch up" to her. She also refuses to buy anything online, even from Amazon, and I have no idea why she has the cards in the first place.

Nastyman
Jul 11, 2007

There they sit
at the foot of the mountain
Taking hits
of the sacred smoke
Fire rips at their lungs
Holy mountain take us away

Andro Dunos posted:

I know a woman at work who has her bank terminate all her current credit and debit cards and send her new ones with new numbers every six months, because she's convinced a hacker or identity thief will steal her info some day, but if the cards keep changing they "can't catch up" to her. She also refuses to buy anything online, even from Amazon, and I have no idea why she has the cards in the first place.

Tell her it doesn't work unless she does it EVERY day.

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
Boomers love their desktop to be just wall to wall shortcuts to questionable facebook games and folders full of pictures of their nigh innumerable vacations.

A twenty year old gateway with a crt screen and windows 98 out in a butler building with about an inch thick shroud of sawdust. Only the monitor gets powered down. The tower hasn’t been rebooted since 9/11.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

CPL593H posted:

They'll also go into a rant about how the local schools keep asking for more money, and how their kids are grown and they shouldn't have to pay for the local schools anymore.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Lil Peeler posted:

Sorry, I know this is several pages back. But it touches on a bigger issue that boomers have. they don't learn the language of a process. They just learn rote memorization of the process.

my example would be cameras. I understand the general knowledge of symbols used on most cameras. I know that if I see a small box with a rectangle in it, it will bring up images stored on the card for review.

A lot of boomer mines don't think that way. They learn through memorization of locations. If a button has moved from it's original place, they don't understand how to use it.

This is the same reason you see a lot of boomers in the trades who do things the way they were taught and no other way. They don't think about why they are doing something, they just do what they were told. That's how we get five different carpenters with different ways of doing things and all convinced that their way is right.

This is also why they continue to whine about “core math”. gently caress off, they’re learning actual mathematics, not bullshit tricks.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Solkanar512 posted:

This is also why they continue to whine about “core math”. gently caress off, they’re learning actual mathematics, not bullshit tricks.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: what they think is "core math" or "new math" or whatever is the math I'd do in my head when figuring out how much change to give back to a customer after they buy a drink. We used a basic machine with no training other than "push button for which drink and then 'total'", and if someone gives me a $20 bill for a $3.75 drink, I'm counting up from $3.75 to get to $20, not the reverse like in elementary school.

The same people who have complained about this have also told me that they "could never be an accountant" like I am, because they're "awful at math."

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
I can't say for sure if it's true or not, but my understanding was core math was trying to emulate the way a lot of people who are "good at math" handle numbers in their head. The idea being that if you taught that it would be much more effective than the older method that was more based on writing things out on paper and rote memorization of tables. If someone knows more/better I'd love to hear it.

Regardless boomers will hate it because it's unfamiliar to them and suggested by experts and they hate when experts know more than them.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

I can't find the particular video now but there was a video that compared common core vs old math.

It was really disingenuous because it had a video where a teacher is TEACHING the thinking behind the system vs someone proficient doing the calculation quickly the old way. Of course the teaching will be slower than execution.

I'm not from the US and I don't know how math is taught in my country, but common core seems to be largely based on the way most people do math in their head. Splitting the calculation into easier subcalculations.

I think the only reason why adults hate common core is because they would need to learn something new to teach their kids and that's too much to ask.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Exactly. It's just how mental math is done. You could subtract 6.22 from 20 to get the correct change, or you could do it in chunks quickly using easy calculations instead while counting up.

7 to 20 is $13
.25 to $1 is .75
.22 to .25 is .03

Add those up to get 13.78

Long to write out but super quick in your head

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Oh man Boomers hate Common Core math and it melts their brains. I've seen that video on FB where someone makes a pot of coffee in the time it takes a teacher to explain this stupid NEW math when the old method gets the same answer faster!

Never mind that American children struggle with abstraction in math because they never learn much beyond route memorization, getting a fast answer is the only objective in math! Who needs to think about how numbers are grouped into tens, or how 3 groups of five is conceptually different than five groups of three even though they're both 15.

These are also the same people that gave you an exasperated look when you needed help with math homework (using the methods they were taught).

Elderbean fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Jan 22, 2020

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
There was a whole part of the second Incredibles movie where Mr. Incredible needs to learn common core to help his kid with himework and is definitely played up for laughs with the parents. "They changed math?!! Why would they change math??"

It's meant to portray him as backwards and stuck in the past, but I guarantee there were a lot of older Dads watching who were like, 'Yeah!!'

https://youtu.be/BCxiABGoPP4

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Jan 22, 2020

Fasdar
Sep 1, 2001

Everybody loves dancing!

StrangersInTheNight posted:

There was a whole part of the second Incredibles movie where Mr. Incredible needs to learn common core to help his kid with himework and is definitely played up for laughs with the parents. "They changed math?!! Why would they change math??"

It's meant to portray him as backwards and stuck in the past, but I guarantee there were a lot of older Dads watching who were like, 'Yeah!!'

Notably, he actually learns the new way and helps his kid; truly a hero compared to the real world analogues.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
an inordinate amount of math curriculum designing isn't even about the math itself, but managing student (AND PARENT) anxiety about this bullshit before you even get started. the public reaction to this has been an unmitigated loving disaster and is probably the one case scenario where a little bit of PR would have made a meaningfully positive impact.

like, drat people. get your poo poo together.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

I've got teacher friends that like common core teaching concepts but hate the way they are forced by school districts to grade exams. For example, having to mark questions with the correct answer as wrong because the student used the "wrong" method to arrive at the answer. They've expressed frustration about the focus still being on the method, rather than having students with a wider range of tools choosing the one that works best for them.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Kinda funny given the 60s-ish setting (TV is black and white and Jonny Quest is briefly shown) that it might be mean to be the original New Math, though a deliberate analogue to Common Core. The difference is of course Mr Incredible sits down and figures it out along with other acts of sensible parenting once he gets over himself.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
For most people there's no real benefit to the new math. The new techniques are better for a wider variety of learners though. So someone who may have had issues with old math or new math may do better with new new math. But most Boomers lack empathy, so they can't understand that people don't learn the same way they did.

There was a very real problem when they first rolled Common Core out in that your kid comes home and needs help with their math homework and you can't help him or her. None of it makes sense to adults because it's not how we learned math and any effort we made to help our kids actually hurt them because they then had to unlearn our antiquated methods.

But none of this matters because a Boomer hasn't helped their kid with his or her math homework for 20+ years. There are statistically near zero Boomers who have had to deal with Common Core. They just like bitching on NextDoor about something.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

Batterypowered7 posted:

I've got teacher friends that like common core teaching concepts but hate the way they are forced by school districts to grade exams. For example, having to mark questions with the correct answer as wrong because the student used the "wrong" method to arrive at the answer. They've expressed frustration about the focus still being on the method, rather than having students with a wider range of tools choosing the one that works best for them.

Oh god this was high school for me. I was in music school for university (drums) and it was the same poo poo.

"Hit the drum *this* way"
"but it sounds the same"
"Yes I know but *this technique* means you should..."
"But it sounds the same either way"
"Well, yes but...."
"So what does it matter?"
"Well this is how it's done"
"Ok. Well brass players are not supposed to puff out their cheeks and yet Dizzy Gillespie is considered a genius"
"Just......turn your stick around. Please?"

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

the public reaction to this has been an unmitigated loving disaster and is probably the one case scenario where a little bit of PR would have made a meaningfully positive impact.

PR is super important bc perception is reality, it's just invisible in terms of how people perceive its impact to the system. You only realize how important it is once it isn't done, as in your example.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

PR is super important bc perception is reality, it's just invisible in terms of how people perceive its impact to the system. You only realize how important it is once it isn't done, as in your example.

hey look everyone, i found the PR stooge. get them.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

an inordinate amount of math curriculum designing isn't even about the math itself, but managing student (AND PARENT) anxiety about this bullshit before you even get started. the public reaction to this has been an unmitigated loving disaster and is probably the one case scenario where a little bit of PR would have made a meaningfully positive impact.

like, drat people. get your poo poo together.

yeah just dip into that educational PR budget, I'm sure that's a thing that's real and large

Actually looking it up, only 4,500 people period work in the department of education. Meanwhile the Pentagon has its own PR DEPARTMENT with 5,000 employees. 5,000 people and accounting for 60% of all governmental PR spending.

As far as I can tell the Department of Education appears under the "All Other" category here (twice) because it can spend so little on PR it doesn't even need to be on the chart; apparently they get some share of that 5%. Republicans (boomers, mostly) have been attempting to destroy the DoE for a long time, railing against local school taxes, basically doing anything they can to ensure our youth grows up stupid and easily led

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I'm a millennial who got A's in Physics (formula sheet and calculator) and D's in Calculus (must memorize formulas and hand calculate), I hate math education in general.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

FogHelmut posted:

I'm a millennial who got A's in Physics (formula sheet and calculator) and D's in Calculus (must memorize formulas and hand calculate), I hate math education in general.

My Calc I professor basically treated some of the material like it was meant for kids and it really helped some people. U Substitution? Sounds scary and complicated! Heart Substitution (draw a heart instead!), however, this is easy! Finding the derivative of f(x)/g(x)? Just sing this little song! (low d high minus high d low over low low)

E: Calc III professor was this funny old dude that would let you listen to music (with headphones on, of course) during exams. By far my favorite class.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

FogHelmut posted:

I had to take the remedial math classes in high school and I still barely passed them. A lot of prerequisites for required classes were higher math classes, so I also had to take other remedial classes, such as chemistry. I was doomed from the start because I have a defective math brain that didn't do well with the "traditional" methods.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

Play posted:

yeah just dip into that educational PR budget, I'm sure that's a thing that's real and large

there are radio and billboard ads for the loving forest. The Ad Council exists, it's powerful, and it's my friend.