Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Military access having a downside would help a lot.

Also as always the ai considering geography, or even better geography actually mattering and the ai noticing it, would help a lot

Please no more AIs swarming the opposite side of the world while you siege and fight on your border and then walk into a peer capital

The AI doesn’t use diplo relation slots for military access, so they don’t pay the diplo points for having access through every country in the world like a player would. Not only is it lovely that the AI gets to cheat, it also causes the AI to behave weirdly since you can’t ever really have a ‘front’, they’ll happily walk all the way around to your rear through like a dozen countries.

Using a relation slot is weird anyways, but I don’t know what would be better/more fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Thanks, I knew the post they meant. Have a great day friend!

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I'm not a strawman I'm real :(

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
https://www.humblebundle.com/games/europa-universalis-iv

EU4 is the current humble bundle. Get basically everything for $17

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Family Values posted:

The AI doesn’t use diplo relation slots for military access, so they don’t pay the diplo points for having access through every country in the world like a player would. Not only is it lovely that the AI gets to cheat, it also causes the AI to behave weirdly since you can’t ever really have a ‘front’, they’ll happily walk all the way around to your rear through like a dozen countries.

Using a relation slot is weird anyways, but I don’t know what would be better/more fun.

Something has gotta be better than a player France having occupied all of central europe and standing five stacks around Vienna while the siege ticks down without having fought a single battle against Austria, while somehow half of the austrian army is starving in Caen and the other half is carpet sieging Québec

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Thanks for the Gold Rush advice all. I'm gonna give it a go; Family Values is right tho, it is the law to get the Great Khan achievement when you play the Great Horde/Mongolia.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

never minded military access, the things that get me steamed the most are separatists crossing borders and discontent sown nonstop in the second half of the game

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

oddium posted:

separatists crossing borders

a thousand times this. discontent sown i can deal with, i just turn off the popup and assume i have the penalty permanently bc what am i gonna do about it that i'm not already doing (conquering everyone) anyway. foreign separatists can go to hell though. your people are welcome and content in my empire and by crossing the border you just guaranteed i'm going to kill you instead of cheering you on from the sidelines so great job opening a second front and ensuring your own annihilation there guys

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
So, how complete is the highest tier of the current humblebundle? Paradox gets more and more confusing every time I try to figure out how much useful DLC there is.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

VictualSquid posted:

So, how complete is the highest tier of the current humblebundle? Paradox gets more and more confusing every time I try to figure out how much useful DLC there is.

From a look at the wiki the only major one missing is the conquest of paradise which is new world/colonial nations/American Indian/Aztec etc focused and lets you generate random new worlds.

You can get it for under tenbux by itself.
https://isthereanydeal.com/search/?q=conquest+of+paradise

Saros fucked around with this message at 12:29 on Jan 22, 2020

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Wafflecopper posted:

a thousand times this. discontent sown i can deal with, i just turn off the popup and assume i have the penalty permanently bc what am i gonna do about it that i'm not already doing (conquering everyone) anyway. foreign separatists can go to hell though. your people are welcome and content in my empire and by crossing the border you just guaranteed i'm going to kill you instead of cheering you on from the sidelines so great job opening a second front and ensuring your own annihilation there guys
Oh but you can easily prevent it by simply getting spy network up to 60 and paying to support them. And hope the support doesn't wear off before the rebels succeed, in the extremely remote chance that they're not wiped out. :v:

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength
I actually managed to get that "support someone's separatists and have them win" achievement the other day. After 5k+ hours wasted on this drat game.

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

Azhais posted:

https://www.humblebundle.com/games/europa-universalis-iv

EU4 is the current humble bundle. Get basically everything for $17

I haven’t liked basically anything EU4 has done since like 2016 and haven’t played since 2017 I think, but that’s a pretty drat good deal

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

I agree with consensus "Guillotine Military Access" so wars are less whack-a-mole and more "fight your neighbor".

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Soup du Jour posted:

I haven’t liked basically anything EU4 has done since like 2016 and haven’t played since 2017 I think, but that’s a pretty drat good deal

Same, also I paid for it

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Jan 22, 2020

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Removing military access guts the diplomacy part of the game way tooo much. I agree there are annoying AI behaviors but I strongly disagree with this proposed solution. If allies that don’t border me can’t defend me then what is the point

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

That bundle is a super good deal, but it makes me wonder what it signals. I wonder if 1.30 will be the last major patch before EU4 is done and they (hopefully) shift all their focus to EU5.

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

yikes! posted:

Removing military access guts the diplomacy part of the game way tooo much. I agree there are annoying AI behaviors but I strongly disagree with this proposed solution. If allies that don’t border me can’t defend me then what is the point

-Prussia ca. 1756

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

yikes! posted:

But there isn't interesting diplomacy there. You always know who's going to grant access if you ask, and there's really no cajoling needed.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Honestly, gut the allies system too. 1470 doesn't need a literal Franz Ferdinand moment. There is no reason gameplay wise or immersion wise that the AI french and muscovites should be expending all their gold and lives in the mecklenburgian conquest of Wismar. Allies that aren't your immediate neighbours in 1470 should send you money, manpower, and mercs rather than how it works now, and a major ally of an OPM should not treat that OPM's conquest of an adjacent OPM the same way they treat a war with a peer.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

I maintain alliances should be targeted against specific targets. So England and Austria might be allied against France, but if Austria get's attacked by the Ottomans, England should be content to sit it out.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Honestly, gut the allies system too. 1470 doesn't need a literal Franz Ferdinand moment. There is no reason gameplay wise or immersion wise that the AI french and muscovites should be expending all their gold and lives in the mecklenburgian conquest of Wismar. Allies that aren't your immediate neighbours in 1470 should send you money, manpower, and mercs rather than how it works now, and a major ally of an OPM should not treat that OPM's conquest of an adjacent OPM the same way they treat a war with a peer.

Yeah, also this.

The best test of this should be the Italian Wars, and the Muscovite-Lithuanian wars.

If the PU system doesn't allow the M-L wars to play out realistically, then it needs work. If the Alliance system doesn't allow the Italian Wars to happen, with all it's abortive campaigns, shifting alliances, and short interludes, then it needs work.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Jan 22, 2020

The Velvet Witch
Jul 24, 2017

"I don't have a "make better posts" spell, you're on your own."
I only play in Africa, is the humble bundle worth the full 17 bux?

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I agree with this, the AI fights every war the same way, and that's kind of boring. France going all in like their existence depends on it even if they were only one or two reasons away from not defending at all and have no strategic interest in Wismar doesn't feel natural. They should start the war with their enthusiasm proportional to their reasons for honoring vs. not honoring the alliance, and also the AI should alter behavior more based on enthusiasm.

But this would make the game easier and the game doesn't need to be easier. If you nerf the AI you would need to nerf the player even harder, and none of that sounds fun.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

But there isn't interesting diplomacy there. You always know who's going to grant access if you ask, and there's really no cajoling needed.

The interesting diplomacy is in the alliances not in the access

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

You keep attacking symptoms instead of the cause which is stupid AI behavior. If that were fixed none of the others would be a problem imo.

PittTheElder posted:

I maintain alliances should be targeted against specific targets. So England and Austria might be allied against France, but if Austria get's attacked by the Ottomans, England should be content to sit it out.

Yeah, also this.

The best test of this should be the Italian Wars, and the Muscovite-Lithuanian wars.

If the PU system doesn't allow the M-L wars to play out realistically, then it needs work. If the Alliance system doesn't allow the Italian Wars to happen, with all it's abortive campaigns, shifting alliances, and short interludes, then it needs work.

I agree with all of this though that sounds like a fun rework

feller fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Jan 22, 2020

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
https://youtu.be/DeCRhvRZdLs

:lol:

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

PittTheElder posted:

Yeah, also this.

Yes please.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

I hope we can all agree that giving filthy subbed casuals a single unique model of a cavalry dude is a bridge too far

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

On Very Hard mode there's a penalty to diplomatic relations based on distance, to the point where it's almost impossible to get alliances with non-adjacent countries. So that's a thing that you can basically try right now if you want.

PittTheElder posted:

That sounds interesting, maybe as a different kind of relation in addition to regular alliances. Maybe increase the requirements for getting a full alliance, but have offensive and defensive pacts with lower requirements.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Wafflecopper posted:

Espionage should really shut that poo poo down. If we assume it means having the equivalent of Francis Walsingham managing an ahistorically early MI5 for your counter-intelligence efforts, and considering you’re spending an entire idea group on it, you should straight up be immune to being hosed with by anyone who doesn’t themselves have the idea.

I just finished a Byzantine game and got the Basileus achievement, and I was *this close* to getting the Mare Nostrum achievement. I can’t see how you can get to the UK in time. I ate Spain and half of France, and finished the mission tree, so I feel pretty good about the game. Espionage felt like it didn’t do much though; couldn’t ever get rebels to spawn. I *did* enjoy the -20% AE though.

How are you supposed to use vassals properly? I had a couple but felt I didn’t get much out of them, even with influence ideas.

Then again, I inherited Russia in a PU, hehe.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

if anyone is new to the game and looking for a good beginner nation, try albania. and if that doesn't work try again until you're good

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

lol who gets angry about this? Subscription service to EU honestly sounds kinda fine to me? Depends how much it costs I guess, but it certainly makes more sense for getting new people in.

e: Oh poo poo, if a subscription service means that all the DLC poo poo can be properly designed into the main game rather than silo'd off, I'm all in.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Jan 22, 2020

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

gotta pay the subscription to keep the eu4 servers going

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-

PittTheElder posted:

lol who gets angry about this? Subscription service to EU honestly sounds kinda fine to me? Depends how much it costs I guess, but it certainly makes more sense for getting new people in.

e: Oh poo poo, if a subscription service means that all the DLC poo poo can be properly designed into the main game rather than silo'd off, I'm all in.

This only works if they only do the subsciption service, rather than in addition to the old model. But you're right, it would be so much better if they ditch the whole modular DLC thing, it's bad for the game's design, and it would be so much better if there was just one version of the game that they continually improved in it's entirety.

I'm not optimistic about that though, I get the impression that the fanbase is filled with the type of guys who have tantrums over game launchers or who still refuse to install Steam in the year 2020... People would lose their poo poo over a subscription model, even though that's essentially what's it's always been with the DLC, you've gotta shell out a few times a year to keep the content updated...

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

super fart shooter posted:

This only works if they only do the subsciption service, rather than in addition to the old model. But you're right, it would be so much better if they ditch the whole modular DLC thing, it's bad for the game's design, and it would be so much better if there was just one version of the game that they continually improved in it's entirety.

Yeah I'm down for this if there's a constant flow of new content that my sub is paying for. 2019 isn't exactly the best example to have going into it though.

quote:

I'm not optimistic about that though, I get the impression that the fanbase is filled with the type of guys who have tantrums over game launchers or who still refuse to install Steam in the year 2020... People would lose their poo poo over a subscription model, even though that's essentially what's it's always been with the DLC, you've gotta shell out a few times a year to keep the content updated...

Gamers are terrible. But on the other hand it's not crazy to be skeptical of software as a service.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

super fart shooter posted:

Yeah this is true. I'm now remembering the shitstorm that erupted when they switched to Steam; never mind that you could still launch the game fine without Steam all you wanted.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

thy kingdom come, thy rolls be won

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Actually the cost breakdown is kinda dire if you assume a continuous subscription. Just looking on Steam the game plus all of the gameplay DLCs comes to about $300 CAD, but the game has been out since August of 2013, 76 months ago. If you average that over the whole period it's only $4/mo. It increases to $5.50 if you include all the DLC. Somehow I doubt any subscription they would sell would be that small.

Mind you it's not like I'm playing every month, so I certainly could cancel and reactivate, but still.

Horsebanger
Jun 25, 2009

Steering wheel! Hey! Steering wheel! Someone tell him to give it to me!
With the alliance chat, hot take but how would the alliance system in imperator stack up in Eu4?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Can you explain it for those who skipped Imperator?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

PittTheElder posted:

Can you explain it for those who skipped Imperator?

In Imperator you have country tiers - City State, Local Power, Regional Power, Major Power, Great Power - and I think Hordes? Anyway, Great Powers can only ally other Great Powers, or cannot ally at all, I forget which; they still can guarantee them though, and normally it's only neighbours. One change from EU4 is that a country joining a war through a guarantee takes over the war leadership.

Before, I think it was even more siloed in, where you could only ally within the same tier and guarantee lower ranks. So Local Powers with Local Powers etc. This kinda made for some silly gameplay where after a war of conquest you'd become weaker as you raised in ranks and lost all of your allies.

You can also have defensive leagues (limited to City States and Local Powers) which are pretty self-explanatory.

canepazzo fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Jan 23, 2020