Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Haha if you clone him he's Booba Fett

Or Boba Feett

Booba Feett

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Saint Drogo posted:

Lucas was so loving disinterested in the extra work needed to make the CGI look good/real. the prequels coming from the same time as LotR is embarrassing as hell. if they'd had 1/10 of PJ's craft, the PT would have blown minds & probably hold up to this day.

Yeah the first time I remember being like "whoa" at sweeping CGI shots was the prologue to Fellowship of the Ring.

Conversely the arena battle in AoC is one of the worst CGI battle scenes ever filmed and there is plenty of competition for that list

Zoran posted:

A problem with depicting the Jedi in a war against clones is that there'd be an awful lot of flesh-and-blood maiming done by the heroes. Harder to make kid-friendly war movies that way.

https://i.imgur.com/Sl88Nl6.mp4

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I actually like that the clones are in the Republic's side, and that the "Attack" that the clones do is really just the true beginnings of the Republic slowly shifting into the militarized empire.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
I think the prequels were good.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

Zoran posted:

A problem with depicting the Jedi in a war against clones is that there'd be an awful lot of flesh-and-blood maiming done by the heroes. Harder to make kid-friendly war movies that way.

So don’t. Keep it as part of the dark offscreen backstory. There’s a reason why Star Trek alludes to WW3 all the time but never shows it. (and when it does, it’s embarrassing examples like Q’s dumb biohazard suit in the TNG pilot)

Halloween Jack posted:

I'm being unfair; they get really into it in the first few episodes of season 6 which you probably haven't seen.

I don't think the clones' plight is very subtle, though; the droid army's plight is more subtle.

Fair enough, I’ll give it a watch.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Saint Drogo posted:

Lucas was so loving disinterested in the extra work needed to make the CGI look good/real. the prequels coming from the same time as LotR is embarrassing as hell. if they'd had 1/10 of PJ's craft, the PT would have blown minds & probably hold up to this day.

George Lucas is one of the figures most singularly responsible for making CGI look good, by investing hundreds of millions of dollars into it so his ambitious new films could feature novel things like the first all-CGI main character in live-action.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Zoran posted:

the first all-CGI main character in live-action.

How'd that work out

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

Zoran posted:

George Lucas is one of the figures most singularly responsible for making CGI look good, by investing hundreds of millions of dollars into it so his ambitious new films could feature novel things like the first all-CGI main character in live-action.

He also is responsible for a lot of setbacks. Many of which can we seen in the prequels.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Majorian posted:

He also is responsible for a lot of setbacks. Many of which can we seen in the prequels.

I dont think there were any setbacks.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

SHISHKABOB posted:

I dont think there were any setbacks.

“Setbacks” probably isn’t fair; call them “unmitigated disasters.”

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

zoux posted:

Yeah the first time I remember being like "whoa" at sweeping CGI shots was the prologue to Fellowship of the Ring.

Conversely the arena battle in AoC is one of the worst CGI battle scenes ever filmed and there is plenty of competition for that list

https://i.imgur.com/Sl88Nl6.mp4

oh my god is that the shadow of the head flying off the right

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

SHISHKABOB posted:

I think the prequels were good.

counter point:

no

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

zoux posted:

The CGI in Lord of the Rings relies extensively on the classic trick of making it dark, muddy, and sometimes rainy so that you can obscure the flaws. Phantom Menace, which came out two years earlier, eschews that. For example, there's an entire CGI battle scene in broad daylight. It's a braver choice that sometimes shows its flaws.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
To be honest, I really did not feel like the CGI in lord of the rings held up at all

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

Zoran posted:

i get that in a way Jar Jar is Bob Dylan's version of All Along the Watchtower, but with a real director blending that cutting edge poo poo with traditional effects & some judgement about how to shoot it, those hundreds of millions could have made something that didn't look like rear end.

although putting in the scratch to drive CGI to new levels, while also providing a masterclass to future films in how not to do it, is legitimately a hell of a contribution (not even joking about the 2nd part).

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
between this and dooku's head landing upright in RotS i think george liked sneaking brutal decapitations into kid movies

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Zoran posted:

The CGI in Lord of the Rings relies extensively on the classic trick of making it dark, muddy, and sometimes rainy so that you can obscure the flaws. Phantom Menace, which came out two years earlier, eschews that. For example, there's an entire CGI battle scene in broad daylight. It's a braver choice that sometimes shows its flaws.

It wasn’t the braver choice, it was the worse choice.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

GODDAMN i LOVE TO FIGHT ABOUT STAR WARS

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

zoux posted:

How'd that work out

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
People who think the p[requels are bad just watched the red letter media videos and cant think for themselves, sorry.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
yeah that must be it

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Raskolnikov38 posted:

oh my god is that the shadow of the head flying off the right

Finally an explanation for why his head didn't fall out when baby boba picked up his helmet.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

SHISHKABOB posted:

People who think the p[requels are bad just watched the red letter media videos and cant think for themselves, sorry.

I saw this poo poo in the theater in 1999. I saw AotC in theaters too. I've never seen RotS the whole way through in one sitting.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

Saint Drogo posted:

i get that in a way Jar Jar is Bob Dylan's version of All Along the Watchtower, but with a real director blending that cutting edge poo poo with traditional effects & some judgement about how to shoot it, those hundreds of millions could have made something that didn't look like rear end.

although putting in the scratch to drive CGI to new levels, while also providing a masterclass to future films in how not to do it, is legitimately a hell of a contribution (not even joking about the 2nd part).

You should go check out exactly how many miniatures and other cool practical stuff was built to do effects for the prequels. It's awesome.

And then compare with something like TFA, which had way more CGI poo poo going on in spite of the “Real sets! Practical effects!” campaign. I guess we can credit JJ with making two dozen practical aliens that were all slight variations on “creature with a huge brown ballsack for a head.”

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

zoux posted:

I saw this poo poo in the theater in 1999

drat, so you just naturally come up with bad ideas.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Zoran posted:

You should go check out exactly how many miniatures and other cool practical stuff was built to do effects for the prequels. It's awesome.

And then compare with something like TFA, which had way more CGI poo poo going on in spite of the “Real sets! Practical effects!” campaign. I guess we can credit JJ with making two dozen practical aliens that were all slight variations on “creature with a huge brown ballsack for a head.”

Buddy that's not a movie screen it's a mirror!

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

SHISHKABOB posted:

I really hope the actual subtitle is also misspelled but i don't give a poo poo enough to check

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Pick posted:

Booba Feett

Do not type this into DeviantArt!

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
all the movies are poo poo

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

SHISHKABOB posted:

He is a certified bad opinion machine

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

SHISHKABOB posted:

Nah I saw them in theaters. I knew they were bad at the time.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Who What Now posted:

Do not type this into DeviantArt!

holy poo poo there's a lot of random star wars characters beating the poo poo out of jar jar fan art

what the

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Majorian posted:

Nah I saw them in theaters. I knew they were bad at the time.

But they're good, so you are bad at understanding and forming opinions about movies. At least in this case.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Pick posted:

Haha if you clone him he's Booba Fett

Following the examples from the EU, it would be Buuba Fett

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

Zoran posted:

there's no way this is can be read as a point in TPM's favour. we're in straight Bizzaro territory where bad is good and good is bad.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

zer0spunk posted:

I really hope the actual subtitle is also misspelled but i don't give a poo poo enough to check

It's hilarious how many people saw this as a righteous dunk on Jar Jar instead of reacting to Qui-Gons xenophobic dickishness

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

zer0spunk posted:

holy poo poo there's a lot of random star wars characters beating the poo poo out of jar jar fan art

what the

classic fascism

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

SHISHKABOB posted:

But they're good, so you are bad at understanding and forming opinions about movies. At least in this case.

Nah, I don’t think the movies with Jar Jar, General Grievous, and “I hate sand!:qq:” are good, and I am right to do so.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Saint Drogo posted:

there's no way this is can be read as a point in TPM's favour. we're in straight Bizzaro territory where bad is good and good is bad.

In order to get an S rank in CD you have to successfully say the prequels are good and well here we are

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Majorian posted:

Nah, I don’t think the movies with Jar Jar, General Grievous, and “I hate sand!:qq:” are good, and I am right to do so.

General Grievous rules