Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I don't think they ever brought back the inability to sense spiritual pressure thing ever again except in the LN between Aizen and Quincy where Kenpachi briefly hits that level while fighting the final boss?

So who knows, maybe Butterflyzen and Final Ichigo are actually stronger then YWACH.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
YWACH's power was basically him looking at every possible future, and going "I'd like this to happen instead of any of that". Like in the final battle, when he broke Ichigo's zanpakuto without moving.

He got chumped once that ability was stopped. Two major villains with insanely overpowered abilities.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
ichigo was never gonna fuse poo poo because he spent that entire arc repeatedly climbing a tower. it makes more sense for the answer to be 'disable this dude's literal invincibility' than 'i'm sure mindless sword pushing will work this time!'.

or maybe the secret to true ultimate power is a shitload of cardio?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

ichigo was never gonna fuse poo poo because he spent that entire arc repeatedly climbing a tower. it makes more sense for the answer to be 'disable this dude's literal invincibility' than 'i'm sure mindless sword pushing will work this time!'.

bleach is secretly a One Punch Man prequel

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!

Schubalts posted:

YWACH's power was basically him looking at every possible future, and going "I'd like this to happen instead of any of that". Like in the final battle, when he broke Ichigo's zanpakuto without moving.

He got chumped once that ability was stopped. Two major villains with insanely overpowered abilities.

The obvious answer to me, I thought, would’ve been that Ichigo and friends coordinate so well that they eliminate any possible future where Ywach wins. But “Choosing the future” was taken so literally in story that the only choice was to pull something outta nowhere.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

Mindless sword pushing was all Ichigo was ever good at though. Even in the fullbringer arc where Kubo introduced a set of villains who could not be mindlessly sword pushed, the shinigami showed up and gave Ichigo the ability to mindlessly sword push them anyway.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
What happened to Squad Zero because those character design were insanely cool. The wiki is bad and unreadable, did they also all get chumped by the alphabet-soup bad guys?

I assume so because when I googled "Bleach Squad Zero" one of the autocomplete options was "disappointment".

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Pierson posted:

What happened to Squad Zero because those character design were insanely cool. The wiki is bad and unreadable, did they also all get chumped by the alphabet-soup bad guys?

I assume so because when I googled "Bleach Squad Zero" one of the autocomplete options was "disappointment".

Yes.

YWACH takes his Elite Four (+1 Super Elite and I guess maybe Uryuu) and they fight Squad 0.

Squad 0 wastes the Elite Four.

Then YWACH literally takes the energy from all surviving non-Elite Quincies, killing them, and uses them to revive + power up the Elite Four.

Elite Four waste Squad 0 pretty much instantly, because Kubo cuts away after one dude gets killed instantly, and only the leader (Monk) survives. Monk chumps YWACH, except, whoops, didn't really chump YWACH, because YWACH's power is the dumbest thing ever. Then Ichigo and friends come across Monk's dissected body and then revive him, and then Monk sits on his rear end and does nothing for the rest of the series except preaching doom like "Oh, Ichigo, you'll never beat YWACH" into the air after Ichigo and co. resume their chase.

I don't remember if the other Squad 0 members got revived, but they probably didn't.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
They're pretty much Vaizards but worse, because these guys were supposed to be way above the level of your standard Captain.

Vonnie
Sep 13, 2011

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

I don't remember if the other Squad 0 members got revived, but they probably didn't.

Nope.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
did a quick wiki and post-ending material says they all came back to life and also the monk was the real bad guy all along

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

They're pretty much Vaizards but worse, because these guys were supposed to be way above the level of your standard Captain.

I remember when Vizards were a thing. And then they weren't.

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

bleach is secretly a One Punch Man prequel
OPM monsters are like Hollows, except there's no convenient chain to show how far gone they are.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
Vaizards and arrancars all ended up being chumps that didn't amount to anything. The final getsuga may as well have been retconned away considering they explained its effects differently when Ichigo got his powers back at the end of the Fullbring arc. Also the fusing with your sword spirit really makes no sense after hearing about the squad 0 sword guy's explanation, plus no one else mentions it even when poo poo goes real bad.

I think Bleach ended somewhat less horribly than Naruto, but man it's close. YWACH and Kagura were both awful villains, but Bleach had a couple cool things in the last arc like Genryuusai whipping rear end and Mask De Masculine being the best one off mook ever.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Oxxidation posted:

did a quick wiki and post-ending material says they all came back to life and also the monk was the real bad guy all along

I mean, it was definitely heavily implied that there was something seriously wrong behind the scenes with the whole Spirit King/Royal Guard thing. Aizen's ultimate motivation turned out to be that he wanted to kill the Soul King because ???, Kukaku had a giant cannon pointed at his domain, none of the captains were thrilled when the Zero Division showed up and Shunsui in particular seemed pretty standoffish with the monk guy who lead them.

Just another couple plot threads to add to the pile that Kubo never actually ended up addressing.

PringleCreamEgg posted:

Vaizards and arrancars all ended up being chumps that didn't amount to anything.

The only Vizard who ever won a fight of any importance was the fat kido guy, and even then it was because he had Soi Fon backing him up. All the others did nothing but get continuously dunked on.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

It's revealed in the light novel that the monk was gonna force ichigo to become the soul king after ywhac was defeated (hence the stuff about shunsui giving his friends tickets to soul society). This was averted when yhwach ate up the soul king and because after he was defeated the royal guard chopped up his corpse and made that into the new soul king. It was apparently such a hosed up process that the people who saw it were like "Oh I see where aizen was coming from". Incidentally apparently all the severed parts have become alive in some way.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Stairmaster posted:

It's revealed in the light novel that the monk was gonna force ichigo to become the soul king after ywhac was defeated (hence the stuff about shunsui giving his friends tickets to soul society). This was averted when yhwach ate up the soul king and because after he was defeated the royal guard chopped up his corpse and made that into the new soul king. It was apparently such a hosed up process that the people who saw it were like "Oh I see where aizen was coming from". Incidentally apparently all the severed parts have become alive in some way.

Oh so that's what Ichigo's kid destroyed in final chapter.

So is that all Soul Kings are created?

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Stairmaster posted:

It's revealed in the light novel that the monk was gonna force ichigo to become the soul king after ywhac was defeated (hence the stuff about shunsui giving his friends tickets to soul society).

That's where I figured it was all going at the time I was reading the manga.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Soul King being a burden forced upon the closest idiot also sheds light on why every piece of the last king inherently despised Soul Society and joined the Quincy (Except the arm that joined with Ukitake who grew to like the status it had). Soul Society is just objectively the villain of the whole series and it sucks they were wedged into the good guy role by popularity polls.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Electric Phantasm posted:

Oh so that's what Ichigo's kid destroyed in final chapter.

So is that all Soul Kings are created?

Well there was really only the one that we know of.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

TheHan posted:

Soul King being a burden forced upon the closest idiot also sheds light on why every piece of the last king inherently despised Soul Society and joined the Quincy (Except the arm that joined with Ukitake who grew to like the status it had). Soul Society is just objectively the villain of the whole series and it sucks they were wedged into the good guy role by popularity polls.

I wouldn't put the blame all on the popularity polls. It wouldn't be that hard to have the captains and squads we meet in the soul society arc eventually come around on Soul Society's corruption and pull some eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeevil higher ups and secret anti-rebellion enforceers out of Kubo's rear end for Ichigo and the popular Captains et all to fight. I mean he basically already did the latter with Squad Zero.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I still can't believe like half the vizards just returned to SS as if nothing had happened. "Oh hey sorry about the whole ordering your execution and forcing you into exile thing. Want to come back and rejoin our horribly corrupt gang of thugs? We'll even make a couple you captains, we have openings!"

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Well he kind of wrote himself into a corner with Aizen having killed all the leaders and secretly been calling the shots for possibly centuries.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

chumbler posted:

Well he kind of wrote himself into a corner with Aizen having killed all the leaders and secretly been calling the shots for possibly centuries.

Then who were those dudes who sentenced him to the evil chair after Deicide

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Spiritus Nox posted:

Then who were those dudes who sentenced him to the evil chair after Deicide

They had a backup corrupt ghost senate.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!

Spiritus Nox posted:

I wouldn't put the blame all on the popularity polls. It wouldn't be that hard to have the captains and squads we meet in the soul society arc eventually come around on Soul Society's corruption and pull some eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeevil higher ups and secret anti-rebellion enforceers out of Kubo's rear end for Ichigo and the popular Captains et all to fight. I mean he basically already did the latter with Squad Zero.

Ok yeah this is true, and I could definitely see Byakuya and Hitsugaya fit really well into a rebellion story (especially Byakuya whose whole arc seemed to be rebuking the system that would've had him axe his own sister). Captains like Kenpachi* and Mayuri who were just as popular would be terrible for that kind of arc since they were the posterboys for everything wrong with Soul Society in the first place.

*I like Kenpachi actually.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Kenpachi's an rear end in a top hat verging on outright monster but it's not like he would necessarily be a loyalist; there's room for him in the story even if they razed Soul Society to the ground.

Mayuri should have died in his first fight against Ishida. Or alternatively, should have been fragged by his own disgruntled minions while he was vulnerable from escaping in slime form.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Tell him he can fight the commander and you've got Kenpachi on your side in a rebellion.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

The only reason Kenpachi even ended up joining Soul Society was because he challenged and beat the previous Kenpachi and decided to stick around to fight more.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Yeah Kenpachi's just Punchman Incarnate, all you need to do to get him on your side is point out that The Final Boss is standing on the other one.

If you have to keep Mayuri around, you could do worse than making him a loyalist because The Final Boss is more willing to let him dissect his own men.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Kenpachi joining the rebellion just so he could be opposite the new strongest guys is absolutely what would happen, I was thinking more from the angle of making a better soul society, where adding a guy who’s max violence to your team would be silly. I guess what I’m saying is I’ve been soulpilled by Kaname Tousen.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Mayuri was revealed to be rounding up massive numbers of SS residents and mass killing them for science as recently as just before the Quincies showed up in the final arc, and when Yama hears about it he just kinda sighs and shrugs.

Mayuri then teams up with the good guys again and has a battle where we are supposed to root for him.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Sydin posted:

Mayuri was revealed to be rounding up massive numbers of SS residents and mass killing them for science as recently as just before the Quincies showed up in the final arc, and when Yama hears about it he just kinda sighs and shrugs.

Mayuri then teams up with the good guys again and has a battle where we are supposed to root for him.

Honestly I'm still more hung up on the whole 'implied sexually assaulting his dessicated lieutenant back to life' thing from the HM arc myself.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

I'm enjoying this pseudo fanfiction writing about an alternate history where Bleach is actually good.

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012

TheHan posted:

Kenpachi joining the rebellion just so he could be opposite the new strongest guys is absolutely what would happen, I was thinking more from the angle of making a better soul society, where adding a guy who’s max violence to your team would be silly. I guess what I’m saying is I’ve been soulpilled by Kaname Tousen.
Thinking about Kenpachi psyching himself up to fight the Strongest Guy Ever before suddenly getting domed by one of the more ruthless figures of the rebellion like Old Yeller. Of course, it'd be difficult to put down Kenny in one go, so there would likely be a long, gruesome fight anyway, just the way he likes it.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

Mayuri was good for having a new insane outfit every arc.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

The final arc being soul society civil war instead of bringing back quincies would've been much better. I honestly can't think of a single one of them that added any value, and only really remember Bambietta who had a pretty rough fate and Bazz B because he was the Renji.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!

Supersonic Shine posted:

Thinking about Kenpachi psyching himself up to fight the Strongest Guy Ever before suddenly getting domed by one of the more ruthless figures of the rebellion like Old Yeller. Of course, it'd be difficult to put down Kenny in one go, so there would likely be a long, gruesome fight anyway, just the way he likes it.

My ideal scenario would’ve been Ikkaku and Yumichika defecting, then having to fight Kenpachi. Could’ve squeezed some emotional investment outta Kenpachi, wrapped up Yumichika and Ikkaku’s character arcs and gotten a cool fight all at the same time.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I like to imagine that immediately after the end of the series, Ichigo walked upstairs to find that both his and Rukia's children killed each other with their swords.

edit: We never found out Aizen's bankai, right? That's annoying.

edit2: I suddenly remembered one of the things that disappointed me the most. The head of the Vaizards with the straight bangs was cool and it made me sad that he jobbed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Did the Quincy arc ever even bring up the horrific stuff that the Shinigami (and Mayuri in particular) did to the Quincies, which basically made them 100% in the right to be attacking them?

Because it's kind of insane that somehow they were supposed to be the bad guys in that arc all things considering.