Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Possibly the most boring post in the history of this dead forum:

In Iceland every single person is assigned a identification number (kennitala) at birth and all immigrants get one upon registration. It's basically just your birthdate plus three random numbers and a final number identifying the century you were born in with 8 for 19th century 9 for 20th and 0 for 21st.

So someone born 13th of July 1957 would be 130757-XXX9 and someone born 2nd of February 2002 would be 020202-XXX0.

I imagine this would need some more extra numbers in any country with a non-tiny population.

Your bank account, taxes, insurance, medical files, school recordsl, etc. are all tied to this number.

This has made the census obsolete although there were regular censuses of the entire country from 1703* and until the 50s when the first attempts at a national ID number were made.

That is the fæðingarnúmer (birth number) from 1953 and the nafnnúmer (name number)from 1959. The latter was assigned when a child was named as part of the number was based on the position of a person's initials in the alphabet and which created a lot of problems for anyone looking to change their name because that would gently caress up the number and require a ton of paperwork. Which is why the current system was created in 1987.

*Which is why the national geneological database Book of Icelanders (dubbedthe incest prevention app by foreign media though finding cousins to gently caress is just a side benefit not the core purpose) has very accurate data of (basically) all Icelanders back to 1703 (and somewhat patchy data back to 874) that allows anyone to trace their ancestors back at least a few hundred years and check how they're related to anyone else in the country.

FreudianSlippers fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Jan 21, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Actual content:
Kids that grew up on YouTube and streaming services are probably going to be confused by the concept of reruns and just linear TV in general. People just watching a stream of stuff they have no choice in will probably be weird to them.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

FreudianSlippers posted:

People just watching a stream of stuff they have no choice in will probably be weird to them.
It's weird to me and I grew up with it. Why anyone still watches broadcast television is a complete mystery to me.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

Tiggum posted:

It's weird to me and I grew up with it. Why anyone still watches broadcast television is a complete mystery to me.

Lol, same.

Especially when the local programming that Lithuanian TV stations produce is lowest common denominator poo poo that sometimes puts blackface on our screens. In 2019 (dunno if they managed to pull that in 2020 yet).

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I watched Weird Al's UHF with a five year old recently and extended explanation was needed for nearly everything except the silly jokes.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
The concept of 23 episodes in a season that have nothing to do with each other is another thing the next generation is going to have trouble with.

There are so many episodes....but so little happens.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Krispy Wafer posted:

The concept of 23 episodes in a season that have nothing to do with each other is another thing the next generation is going to have trouble with.

There are still shows like that. Most sitcoms, for example, can still be watched out of sequence without any issues.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Tiggum posted:

There are still shows like that. Most sitcoms, for example, can still be watched out of sequence without any issues.

HIMYM? But that's not a very recent example.

The short, intense seasons are more of a premium TV thing, I'd say.

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

doctorfrog posted:

I watched Weird Al's UHF with a five year old recently and extended explanation was needed for nearly everything except the silly jokes.

Yeah, I tried to explain the concept of UHF to my kids and they just didn't get it.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Orion orion is bankrupt now

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

From reading a lot of crime novels written in first half of the 20th century, people seemed to have thought that aspirin had some sedative effects.
I can remember at least one character sleeping heavily after taking a couple of aspirin for a headache - they specifically mention the aspirin as a probably cause, and another who, while suffering acute withdrawal symptoms, tries to take a handful and is given three by a doctor.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Krispy Wafer posted:

A lot of children’s programs are episodic with no change in status except to introduce more toys to buy.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

FreudianSlippers posted:

Actual content:
Kids that grew up on YouTube and streaming services are probably going to be confused by the concept of reruns and just linear TV in general. People just watching a stream of stuff they have no choice in will probably be weird to them.

I was visiting relatives this last weekend and my nephew was intensely confused by the idea that, at great-grandma’s house, you just had to watch whichever episode was on television right at that moment because she has cable not app-based tv.

“But I don’t want to watch this episode of Paw Patrol!”

“Well, that’s what’s on.”

“Can we skip this commercial?”

“Nope, sorry buddy.”

Steely Dad
Jul 29, 2006

Pookah posted:

From reading a lot of crime novels written in first half of the 20th century, people seemed to have thought that aspirin had some sedative effects.
I can remember at least one character sleeping heavily after taking a couple of aspirin for a headache - they specifically mention the aspirin as a probably cause, and another who, while suffering acute withdrawal symptoms, tries to take a handful and is given three by a doctor.

Which books were these?

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Maybe they were using aspirin as some sort of generic term for all pain relieving pills like Kleenex or Coke or Sharpie.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse

Captain Monkey posted:

I was visiting relatives this last weekend and my nephew was intensely confused by the idea that, at great-grandma’s house, you just had to watch whichever episode was on television right at that moment because she has cable not app-based tv.

“But I don’t want to watch this episode of Paw Patrol!”

“Well, that’s what’s on.”

“Can we skip this commercial?”

“Nope, sorry buddy.”

At the risk of sounding like I'm crapping on the younger generation for not knowing anything else this is seriously making me go :magical: not sure why this is the thing thats breaking my brain but there you go.

Reminds me of the video of a parent handing their toddler their old Gameboy color and the toddler pressing at the screen like it's a touch screen.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Steely Dad posted:

Which books were these?

The sleeping heavily one was 'Artists in Crime' by Ngaio Marsh, who was NZ born but very anglocentric in her writing. I just looked back at that text and the sleep-inducing power of aspirin is actually a lot more important to the plot than I remembered, and it is specified that it is 'Bayer's Aspirin'. I can't remember what the other one was.

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

Happy Landfill posted:

Reminds me of the video of a parent handing their toddler their old Gameboy color and the toddler pressing at the screen like it's a touch screen.

I took my little girl (15 months old) to the dentist for the first time yesterday and in the waiting room they had a table with an inset TV playing adverts for various treatments they provide. My daughter kept banging on it and shouting "broken! broken!" and couldn't understand that it's just a screen. We rarely have the telly on at home so she's almost totally unfamiliar with the concept of a screen not being a touchscreen.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Reminds me off when my sister's youngest was a toddler and was perplexed by his grandparent's old stereo system. Which looked a lot like this

He was playing at opening and closing the cassette slot. I told him that it was used to play music. He of course then went to get a CD and tried to jam it in.

And now CDs are dead so a kid that age today wouldn't know to connect it to music.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

The records on the other hand.

e: when I watched Clockwork Orange as a teen I'd always think about how dated the record store scene was, and if you watched it today as a teen you'd be like "yeah they listen to records, why wouldn't they"

My Lovely Horse fucked around with this message at 10:51 on Jan 22, 2020

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

FreudianSlippers posted:

And now CDs are dead so a kid that age today wouldn't know to connect it to music.

And that reminds me of the start of last summer when my neighbour's young son came knocking to ask if I had any more bird scarers for his garden. No idea what he was on about so eventually went with him so he could show me. CDs, on bits of string, hanging over his vegetable patch. He'd never encountered one except as a bird scarer.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

FreudianSlippers posted:

Reminds me off when my sister's youngest was a toddler and was perplexed by his grandparent's old stereo system. Which looked a lot like this

He was playing at opening and closing the cassette slot. I told him that it was used to play music. He of course then went to get a CD and tried to jam it in.

I'm 30 and I'm perplexed by it to some degree

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

JcDent posted:

I'm 30 and I'm perplexed by it to some degree

You might find this helpful:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pujXTj4X_I4&t=3s

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

Sanford posted:

I took my little girl (15 months old) to the dentist for the first time yesterday and in the waiting room they had a table with an inset TV playing adverts for various treatments they provide. My daughter kept banging on it and shouting "broken! broken!" and couldn't understand that it's just a screen. We rarely have the telly on at home so she's almost totally unfamiliar with the concept of a screen not being a touchscreen.

A comment I remember, I'm almost certain by the author Warren Ellis but I forget where (either his newsletter or a talk he gave), several years ago now: "You realize that small children think the TV is broken because they can't play Angry Birds on it?"

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

FreudianSlippers posted:

Maybe they were using aspirin as some sort of generic term for all pain relieving pills like Kleenex or Coke or Sharpie.

That would make sense. Or maybe a euphemism for heavier stuff?

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

FreudianSlippers posted:

It's wild to think that the rise and fall of CDs happened entirely within my lifetime. I remember getting our first household CD player as a child; my mom was so excited that she could skip between tracks. Now you can't even buy a laptop with a built-in optical drive.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

If you lived through the rise and fall off CDs, you also lived through DVDs and arguably Blu-rays. Minidisc. A whole load of non-SD flash-based cards. And that's just formats that didn't outright fail in a couple of years.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
people talk about bit rot and optical storage media being an impermanent solution, but how much content has been released online and is now utterly unavailable? like the minute something drops off a streaming service, boom, it's just gone.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

Flipperwaldt posted:

A whole load of non-SD flash-based cards.

I've had bowel movements that have lasted longer than some flash media formats.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Columbia House used to do reel-to-reel tapes and vinyl records in the 60's and 70's. Then they moved to 8 tracks, cassettes, and finally CD's. So they survived 5 different formats before digital finally killed them off.

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

people talk about bit rot and optical storage media being an impermanent solution, but how much content has been released online and is now utterly unavailable? like the minute something drops off a streaming service, boom, it's just gone.

Some content is gone, but it's so easy to replicate anything that someone, somewhere has the most obscure thing backed up in triplicate. Digital rot doesn't occur all at once, so once something is difficult to find there's still time for a random hoarder to upload it before it's extinct. Compare this to thousands of movies on celluloid that have disappeared in the last 100+ years.

1 or 2 people probably recorded the Star Wars Holiday Special and it stayed pretty rare for the next 25 years until digital media became a thing and now they'll play it at George Lucas' funeral just to spite him.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
remember that a massive, massive amount of master tapes from pretty much every musical group you can think of were lost in a lot fire at universal studios in 2008. like everything from the carter family to billie holliday to sonic youth to tupac. gone!

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

Sanford posted:

I guess touchscreens are incredibly intuitive, to the extent that kids seem to make no distinction between physical buttons and ones on touchscreens. My son figured out that the white button on the smartphone screen is the one you push to take a picture. At 11 months old.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

People sometimes now use the phrase 'balance a checkbook" like metaphorically to mean like, budgeting skills. But no, you used to have to balance your checkbook. With no simple way to check your bank account you got one statement a month saying the balance then you had to be diligent in writing down the amount of every check and doing the math out correctly to figure out how much money you had remaining.

Wow I honestly had no idea what that meant. Monthly statements. Crazy!

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

People get wildly defensive about this too

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

Milo and POTUS posted:

People get wildly defensive about this too

I'm just pissed because I'm trying to write a frontpage article about an indian film which is no longer streaming anywhere online, it seems. the sequels and adaptations? plenty easy to find.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I haven't been to a bank in years.

Literally everything can be done online or in a ATM these days so there's no point.

The bank branches in the mall near me have been replaced entirely by ATMs though one still has a couple of workers there to help any olds.

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

FreudianSlippers posted:

The bank branches in the mall near me have been replaced entirely by ATMs though one still has a couple of workers there to help any olds.

My Credit Union is like this. Nothing but kiosks and one or two workers.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

My bank is online only

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007
Sucks having to go to the post office to deposit cheques because your bank doesn't have physical branches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Pocket Billiards posted:

Sucks having to go to the post office to deposit cheques because your bank doesn't have physical branches.

Your bank doesn't let you deposit checks by app?