Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Luigi Thirty posted:

My god, I watched it and it’s Star Trek that’s post TNG, GIVES US ROMULANS, evolves the aesthetics, and isn’t grimdark? I’ll take twelve! Excited to see where this goes.

That was a bit of all right indeed. Can't wait to see where it goes, this was like watching the first act of a movie...need more ASAP! and can toss out this silly thing

Gonz posted:

Is this the first time we’ve actually seen the Daystrom Institute?

At Daystrom™, pink and green is the new teal and orange.

edit: Oops, that's the exterior plaza of the Federation museum/archive.

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Jan 24, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Guys this feels weird it was star trek and it was good and I enjoyed it and I'm looking forward to next week

I don't know how to process this feeling

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

I really didn't know what to expect from this show, but I certainly wouldn't have guessed this. That's not a criticism, by the way. I don't think I'll be able to judge it at all until I've seen at least one more episode, maybe two. I feel like this episode was a lot of set up and didn't really give us a good idea of what to expect from the rest of the series, in terms of what a "regular episode" is going to be like. Honestly, they probably should have done that thing where they show two episodes back to back on the first week, because I think the second one is going to be the one to watch to find out what this show actually is.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Tiggum posted:

I really didn't know what to expect from this show, but I certainly wouldn't have guessed this. That's not a criticism, by the way. I don't think I'll be able to judge it at all until I've seen at least one more episode, maybe two. I feel like this episode was a lot of set up and didn't really give us a good idea of what to expect from the rest of the series, in terms of what a "regular episode" is going to be like. Honestly, they probably should have done that thing where they show two episodes back to back on the first week, because I think the second one is going to be the one to watch to find out what this show actually is.

I feel it's one of the best things I've heard about the show in that people are surprised by it.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
I like it- what I saw felt a lot less self-indulgent than I thought it would be- you're getting there CBS, almost ready to actually move forward and tell a different story.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

They had some deep cuts on the background details. Picard is using his favourite TNG tea set.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Jan 23, 2020

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
So it took a few decades but Trek finally got a good pilot episode.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
Well this is extremely frustrating, it's Jan 24 here and it's still not up. I hate these staggered releases, just dump it everywhere at once.
Guess I'll have to explore other options.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Lizard Combatant posted:

Well this is extremely frustrating, it's Jan 24 here and it's still not up. I hate these staggered releases, just dump it everywhere at once.
Guess I'll have to explore other options.

Where in the world are you that it's the 24th???

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

kidkissinger posted:

Not "where" Mr Kissinger, but "when".

Lizard Combatant fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Jan 23, 2020

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

kidkissinger posted:

New Zealand, maybe?

Edit: Or Australia. My time zone seems to be set wrong on the forums so that was actually posted an hour later than I thought.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

kidkissinger posted:

New Zealand or now Australia.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

I really wish this had been a feature length premiere. Enjoyed it, great to see Romulans who are just character s instead of cardboard cut outs.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Lizard Combatant posted:

Not "where" Mr Kissinger, but "when".

Mr. Kissinger is my father, call me kid

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Show's good.

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

The premiere in London was three episodes and everything isn't set up until the end of those, by the way.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky
Episode good. Cautiously optimistic. Eagerly anticipating next week.

Refurbishing a cube to house refugees? :swoon:

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
Well that was alright, wasn't it?

There's a few groaners in it, but that's just personal taste as to what I find fresh and exciting vs a bit played out.

Pretty show, nice music and overall it was very sweet.

I worry that they're setting themselves up for a lot of nonsense intrigue and reveals, but... hey I'm keen to see more.

Bruce Maddox? Now that's a deep cut that I can get behind. Legitimately one of the great potential threads from the show they left open.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

pyrotek posted:

Bruce Maddox has a theory that Data's entire code, including of his memory can be reconstituted from a single positron neuron? OK... that seems like a stretch.

Yeah, I'm really hoping that's not what they literally meant, but more just that they can reverse engineer the tech from it

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Lizard Combatant posted:

Well that was alright, wasn't it?

There's a few groaners in it, but that's just personal taste as to what I find fresh and exciting vs a bit played out.

Pretty show, nice music and overall it was very sweet.

I worry that they're setting themselves up for a lot of nonsense intrigue and reveals, but... hey I'm keen to see more.

Bruce Maddox? Now that's a deep cut that I can get behind. Legitimately one of the great potential threads from the show they left open.

"enhance... enhance... enhance..."

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

kidkissinger posted:

"enhance... enhance... enhance..."

You've lost me, sorry

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

Lizard Combatant posted:

Reviews of the first three episodes suggest exactly that.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Oh man P-Stew's French is atrocious

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

pyrotek posted:

Reviews of the first three episodes suggest exactly that.

I mean, that's no feat of prediction for anything from some of the folks involved. Just this one time I'd like to be wrong please.

stuart scott
Mar 9, 2007

It's great. More episodes please. Really hate the whole binge backlash. I have no interest in being a responsible viewer

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBF_7bMlqNk

So you've got a shot of a borg cube, zoom inwards, we see a geometric nanoparticle, it self-replicates, hundreds combine to create an artificial DNA-like strand, many of those strands combine to form a ring and then build outwards to create an initially organic looking iris, and then the eye changes from organic to mechanical. It's not subtle.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
That was very good. I don't care if he's wearing 17 girdles and sucking in his cheeks, seeing Brent Spiner in the makeup again was wonderful.

And that opening, shot of the ship hello old friend.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Moon Slayer posted:

Show's good.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
That was one of the best episodes of Star Trek ever. Love how it is slower-paced and less bombastic than Discovery.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

I'm glad that it's 100% canon that the romulans moved into the borg cube because they liked the colour scheme

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
Thank goodness they've retconned the Hobus supernova to just have been Romulus' star instead, the original made zero sense.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
I STRONGLY appreciate that the ending shot of All Good Things is Picard sitting down to play poker with the crew and the opening shot of Picard is yet another poker game.

Very on board with how it looks like Picard the character and Picard the show both take explicit stances that the grimdark "Hard Choices™" tendency of Trek and series in general are worth walking away from. If that was 100% deliberate and something they can keep rolling, I'll be excited.

In the end this show could wind up being utter trash and I'll still be thankful to have Patrick Stewart reprising his role as one of the best characters in television history.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Not sure how I feel about the writing making a big deal about how Dahj is a wonderful, unique being shortly before dousing her in acid, blowing her up, and to add insult to injury, revealing that, thankfully, there's a spare so the plot can continue. Don't get me wrong, I'm intrigued by the twist and still wanna see where the show goes with it, but lol poor Dahj

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Did anyone else think Dahj’s exploding effect looked a little wonky? It’s like she disappeared a little too quickly. Or maybe that’ll factor in later? :tinfoil:

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I can't wait to watch this, all these black blocks of spoiler are too tempting.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Brawnfire posted:

I can't wait to watch this, all these black blocks of spoiler are too tempting.

Check back in when you do, I specifically wanted to ask you what you thought about ligma

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

HD DAD posted:

Did anyone else think Dahj’s exploding effect looked a little wonky? It’s like she disappeared a little too quickly. Or maybe that’ll factor in later? :tinfoil:

I was actually surprised by how graphic it was (that split second of the explosion stripping away her flesh, etc.) but also I won't deny that the bit of incidental dialogue afterwards noting that she actually didn't appear on any security feeds likely hints at some intrigue later on

Cross-Section fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Jan 23, 2020

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

Cross-Section posted:

Not sure how I feel about the writing making a big deal about how Dahj is a wonderful, unique being shortly before dousing her in acid, blowing her up, and to add insult to injury, revealing that, thankfully, there's a spare so the plot can continue. Don't get me wrong, I'm intrigued by the twist and still wanna see where the show goes with it, but lol poor Dahj

I also thought that Picard getting blown backwards in San Francisco and waking up being tended to at La Barre, France by his Romulan friends instead of medical professionals was weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

pyrotek posted:

I also thought that Picard getting blown backwards in San Francisco and waking up being tended to at La Barre, France by his Romulan friends instead of medical professionals was weird.

Yeah, the odd framing of it all made me think they were about to reveal that most of the episode up to that point had been a dream.