Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

gently caress. Two shootings here in Seattle tonight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.
Best old movie picks, go:

High Noon
El Dorado (great double feature with above)
The Killing
Vertigo
Seven Samurai
Bridge On The River Kwai

Also you can just watch the diner scene from Five Easy Pieces

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009
all movies are old depending on the perspective so the greatest film of all time is the ghost and mr chicken

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
I saw Pale Flower some time last year on tv and it made me want to watch yakuza movies. What are the good yakuza movies

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009

Dangerous Person posted:

I saw Pale Flower some time last year on tv and it made me want to watch yakuza movies. What are the good yakuza movies

the ones i posted on the last page

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
Thank you WatermelonGun

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

sonatine is the best yakuza movie

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Jerusalem posted:

Bjork rules :hai:

Terry Jones was apparently one of the loveliest men who ever lived, in addition to being incredibly smart and funny. That the last couple years of his life were plagued by dementia is just too cruel.

There is a wonderful story about when they made the Meaning of Life, which he directed. He put together the "Every Sperm is Sacred" opening piece of the film, and it is incredible. Once it was done he admitted to the rest of the cast that... uhh.... he'd gotten a little carried away and spent the entire film's budget on that one segment :allears:

Hate to be that guy but you have mixed up your Terry's. It was Terry G who spunked the budget on the opening bit (Crimson Permanent Assurance) but yes, Every Sperm Is Sacred is a masterpiece. And Terry J was indeed meant to be startlingly nice.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

NienNunb posted:

1. Meaning of Life
2. Holy Grail
3. And Now For Something Completely Different
4. Life Of Brian

And Now For Something Completely Different barely counts as a movie, let alone "better than Life of Brian" what the hell

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Cavauro posted:

there's a little cit tee inside the tee vee

God, I love this video so much: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75WFTHpOw8Y

You shouldn't let poets lie to you.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

forkboy84 posted:

Hate to be that guy but you have mixed up your Terry's. It was Terry G who spunked the budget on the opening bit (Crimson Permanent Assurance) but yes, Every Sperm Is Sacred is a masterpiece. And Terry J was indeed meant to be startlingly nice.

Oh wow, drat that's a shame as I've been telling that story for years, I even remembered the choreographer basically sitting there going,"He spent all the money but I don't care, it was the greatest experience of my life :stwoon:"

Crimson Permanent Assurance IS great as well, of course.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Captain Magic posted:

High Noon
The Killing
Vertigo
Seven Samurai
Bridge On The River Kwai

El Dorado is one of my favorite movies of all time, though I will say that Mississippi putting on a Chinese man disguise and saying “Me so solly.” is pretty rough.

Beef Jerky Robot fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Jan 23, 2020

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

this is for my dude right here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8BQTPvM1nT4

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
was remind that Rogue One was a good movie and then also remembered 13 Assassins and how that was also a really good and brutal movie. thank you for your time

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

DBZ Kakorot is such an easy going game. I just like chilling out in the world

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

KungFu Grip posted:

was remind that Rogue One was a good movie and then also remembered 13 Assassins and how that was also a really good and brutal movie. thank you for your time

13 Assassins is one of my favorite movies of all time

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Captain Magic posted:

High Noon
The Killing
Vertigo
Seven Samurai
Bridge On The River Kwai

The Big Sleep
Roman Holiday
Bride of Frankenstein
The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly
A Night at the Opera
Kelly's Heroes

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Captain Magic posted:

High Noon
The Killing
Vertigo
Seven Samurai
Bridge On The River Kwai

12 Angry Men
Yojimbo
Witness For the Prosecution
Sunset Blvd
Murder on the Orient Express

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Off the top of my head

Seven Samurai
Tokyo Story
M
Eyes Without A Face
West Side Story

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009
Weekend at Bernie’s

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

El Dorado is one of my favorite movies of all time, though I will say that Mississippi putting on a Chinese man disguise and saying “Me so solly.” is pretty rough.

Holy poo poo, I do NOT remember that. Boo!

So my wife has some manner of binge drinking issue and we agreed she would stop for a while. Last night she came home stumbling drunk and revealed she’d been drinking the entire four months I’d been praising her hard work at sobriety.

Heel turn, y’all.

I’m actually really upset about this but totally exhausted. My fight or flight is overwhelmingly predisposed toward fight and the amount of adrenaline running through my system kept me tossing and turning all goddamn night.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

very excited to play this on my switch. I'm gonna stab the lot of you and use the bones to make a delicious strawberry pie.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Captain Magic posted:

So my wife has some manner of binge drinking issue and we agreed she would stop for a while. Last night she came home stumbling drunk and revealed she’d been drinking the entire four months I’d been praising her hard work at sobriety.

Heel turn, y’all.

I’m actually really upset about this but totally exhausted. My fight or flight is overwhelmingly predisposed toward fight and the amount of adrenaline running through my system kept me tossing and turning all goddamn night.

Once is an accident. Twice is a pattern. Three times is a problem.

It's tough to change habits, says the chronic over-eater...in this case, it's the lying that hurts the most I would imagine. :sympathy:

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

plz support your wife into sobriety. if you gotta do the needful, no regrets.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Captain Magic posted:

Heel turn, y’all.

ime alcoholics need to change their social structures because they always exist in a solar system of other alcoholics. Just orbiting each other and encouraging drinking, if she's still friends with the same people and hanging out in the same spots she's going to keep drinking herself into oblivion. Fighting is an option but flighting is also a perfectly valid choice that doesn't at all reflect negatively on you as a person. Good luck with whatever route you choose homie.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Captain Magic posted:

I didn’t either until I revisited it a couple years ago. A bummer for sure!

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

KungFu Grip posted:

Rogue One was a good movie

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

ime alcoholics need to change their social structures because they always exist in a solar system of other alcoholics. Just orbiting each other and encouraging drinking, if she's still friends with the same people and hanging out in the same spots she's going to keep drinking herself into oblivion. Fighting is an option but flighting is also a perfectly valid choice that doesn't at all reflect negatively on you as a person. Good luck with whatever route you choose homie.

i am a recovering alcoholic and never drank with others, at least not over the last 5 years of my drinking which was daily, you’re right about that type of alcoholic but a non social alcoholic needs in my eyes purpose to be able to quit.

As someone who has been a very lonesome drunk amongst only sober friends or alone I think the best thing you can do is be loving whenever possible and try to find something that can distract from the need to drink be it a new hobby or a trip somewhere. There’s always SMART which i prefer to AA but there’s always AA too.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

The rebel monks were cool

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

CobiWann posted:

The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly

I love this movie so much. Any Leone movie really, and Once Upon A Time in the West is a masterpiece... but The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly will forever be my favorite. The threeway standoff.... :kiss:

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
please watch The Good, the Bad, the Weird. its a very good Korean Western

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

I have seen that film. recommended

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I have also seen that film and I also recommend it!

Also I should watch more Korean films, most of the ones I have seen are great. I recently saw The Gangster, The Cop and the Devil and holy poo poo that was a good time with an AMAZING ending.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

wwatch the tv show My Mister

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Jerusalem posted:

Also I should watch more Korean films, most of the ones I have seen are great. I recently saw The Gangster, The Cop and the Devil and holy poo poo that was a good time with an AMAZING ending.
Have you seen the Man From Nowhere? It's basically John Wick except you hate the villains more and nod at their utterly horrific comeuppance.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Jerusalem posted:

I Saw the Devil and Train to Busan.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Spiderdrake posted:

Have you seen the Man From Nowhere? It's basically John Wick except you hate the villains more and nod at their utterly horrific comeuppance.

Haven't seen that one, been meaning to catch up with Train to Busan since it's the same guy from The Gangster, The Cop and the Devil and he was loving incredible.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

KungFu Grip posted:

The rebel monks were cool

They were incredibly stereotypical portrayals of asians. Let alone poorly written characters.

Jerusalem posted:

I love this movie so much. Any Leone movie really, and Once Upon A Time in the West is a masterpiece... but The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly will forever be my favorite. The threeway standoff.... :kiss:

Go watch the amazing sequel, The Good, The Bad, The Weird.

Well really only watch it for this scene.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lt5Z4IhAAMM

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

I would like to jump into Korean movie chat and recommend The Wailing. Really captures a small town horror feel where you're in over your head

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

sunny
hwayi: a monster boy
burning
the handmaiden
the man from nowhere
bedevilled
castaway on the moon
masquerade