Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

A Gnarlacious Bro posted:

Cool that he still did it though

Unfortunately George Lucas wore him down to the point where, after the prequels were done, Best ended up embracing white supremacism and getting involved with far-right extremist groups. Did you not ever hear the tragedy of Ahmed Best the Racist?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Mooey Cow posted:

Correct, that story owns bones, and the game was a piece of blatant, ahem, "fanwank" that could have used a few Darth Insaniuses (Insanii)

Instead they called him "Starkiller" and the dude was such a huge Marty Sue that his oh so noble death starts the Rebellion and then they take his family crest as their symbol. You thought the Rebel symbol was a phoenix meant to symbolize their struggle to restore freedom? Nope, it's just some guy's aristocratic piece of heraldry.

In what way did that symbol look like a bird

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

RBA Starblade posted:

It's literally called "Starbird"

Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!

CainFortea posted:

stupid loving name. birds can’t be in space that’s why we have ships instead of chocobos

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Also, the wikipedia entry for the rebel alliance is fuckin weird. Real wiki not star wars wiki.

"Technologies: pressurized rooms, medical droids"
and that's it.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

i say swears online posted:

wait wait i have a question

in tpm why is it amidala that initiates a vonc

sheev is the senator, he should be doing that stuff

please fill me in on parliamentary procedure in the late republic tyvm

Sheev gets the floor and then invites his queen to speak on his behalf, it's still sheev's motion but he's having her do it because it looks more sympathetic

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Mooey Cow posted:

Instead they called him "Starkiller" and the dude was such a huge Marty Sue that his oh so noble death starts the Rebellion and then they take his family crest as their symbol. You thought the Rebel symbol was a phoenix meant to symbolize their struggle to restore freedom? Nope, it's just some guy's aristocratic piece of heraldry.

Yeah what moron came up with that name

https://twitter.com/HamillHimself/status/658768570470367232

The only reason Lucas changed it was because he was worried Star-killer was too iffy after all the Manson poo poo.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

zoux posted:

Yeah what moron came up with that name

https://twitter.com/HamillHimself/status/658768570470367232

The only reason Lucas changed it was because he was worried Star-killer was too iffy after all the Manson poo poo.

ok but then why did the makers of this game use the self-evidently lovely name if it was so obviously dumb and lovely?

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

CainFortea posted:

Google's telling me it got that name in 2015, so I'ma call that a retcon.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Guy A. Person posted:

ok but then why did the makers of this game use the self-evidently lovely name if it was so obviously dumb and lovely?

So, "Why did they appeal to a Hollywood director's vanity", is the question you're asking.

quote:

But then a phantom menace struck. George Lucas would periodically check in on the status of the games his company was making, lending creative input and advice. The developer I talked to sighs, and agitatedly says, “In one viewing of Fracture, [Lucas] said it looked really good, but he didn’t like [Mason Briggs’] name. We’re like, ‘What do you mean, George?’ He responded to the effect of, ‘It doesn’t really fit. When he jumps on stuff, he moves pretty fast. I like B.J. Dart.’

“So everybody’s like, ‘No, he’s gotta be f---ing with us.’ He’s absolutely not. So when something like that happened – in the middle of the campaign, mind you – we have to go back through that entire naming convention again… from scratch.” From that second session, Jet Brody was born. Coincidentally. Jett is the name of Lucas’ son.

Odd behavior for someone telling people to gently caress off, imo

Majorian posted:

Shmi, Anakin's mom (jfc gently caress you George Lucas), was Owen's dad's slave-wife.

:whitewater:

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

zoux posted:

So, "Why did they appeal to a Hollywood director's vanity", is the question you're asking.

SO they were sucking up to him to use the 'Darth' title which he blew off then they kept the bad name because...

what does sucking up to a Hollywood director have to do with making a good video game?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Guy A. Person posted:

SO they were sucking up to him to use the 'Darth' title which he blew off then they kept the bad name because...

what does sucking up to a Hollywood director have to do with making a good video game?

Read the edit :)

and the article I'm drawing from

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

Yyyyyyyeah.

gently caress you, George.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

ItBreathes posted:

Google's telling me it got that name in 2015, so I'ma call that a retcon.

Us: It's obviously a bird
You, a fool: In what way does this shape that has wings have anything to do with birds?

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

zoux posted:

Read the edit :)

I mean it doesn't exactly sound like it was mandated or anything. It sounds from both quotes like:

1) he gave them a lovely Darth name but they had the freedom not to use it and they didn't
2) he gave them an alternate name for some dude who originally was called 'Mason Briggs' but they didn't like the alternate name he gave so they went with a third option

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug

RBA Starblade posted:

It's got two big wings reaching upwards around a pointy (beaked if you will) head on a neck, that's classic phoenix symbolism.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Mooey Cow posted:

It's got two big wings reaching upwards around a pointy (beaked if you will) head on a neck, that's classic phoenix symbolism.

That's a stretch tbh those don't look like wings or a beak at all

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

What even are wings? Do they really exist?

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
We just don't know.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know
I definitely like Sabine's interpretation of it...

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

RBA Starblade posted:

That's a stretch tbh those don't look like wings or a beak at all

I mean it's obviously highly stylized, I would say the top of the rebel symbol actually looks more like the tail feathers of a phoenix. But the parallels are definitely there, the phoenix is often depicted with wings curled up like that, phoenixes are usually red which is a color associated with the rebels, the story of the phoenix rising from the ashes is obviously connected to the idea of a rebellion rising up from defeat, etc

Your bar would have to be pretty high to think there's no connection just because it doesn't look really specifically and accurately like a bird

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

The prequels are real bad but so are 7 of the star wars movies

Theyr more interesting than the new ones at least

Phantom menace is probably the 3rd best star war and its not very good

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

Communist Thoughts posted:

The prequels are real bad but so are 7 of the star wars movies

Theyr more interesting than the new ones at least

Phantom menace is probably the 3rd best star war and its not very good

Nah, the OT and TLJ are good, and even ROS is better than the prequels. These are verifiable facts.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

What is your criteria for goodness

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

If I like it

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

zoux posted:

If I like it

An utterly impoverished standard

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

WOrks for me, the protagonist of reality.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Guy A. Person posted:

I mean it's obviously highly stylized, I would say the top of the rebel symbol actually looks more like the tail feathers of a phoenix. But the parallels are definitely there, the phoenix is often depicted with wings curled up like that, phoenixes are usually red which is a color associated with the rebels, the story of the phoenix rising from the ashes is obviously connected to the idea of a rebellion rising up from defeat, etc

Your bar would have to be pretty high to think there's no connection just because it doesn't look really specifically and accurately like a bird

I guess if you flip it upside down so its a tail it kind of does but that's one hell of an extra stylized birb

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
Did you know the Empire's crest looks like a gear because the Empire represents "the Machine", which some may rage against? Only the biggest brains can understand this kind of symbolism.

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yes I noticed the theme, odd you didn't tho. . .

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

euphronius posted:

What is your criteria for goodness

Not being terrible/only loved by babies is a big one.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

In what possible way does that icon look like a gear? It looks nothing at all like a cog or anything at all in any way.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Majorian posted:

Not being terrible/only loved by babies is a big one.

Your criteria for Good is “not being bad”

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

euphronius posted:

Pretty reasonable

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

RBA Starblade posted:

Pretty reasonable

Well it isn’t not reasonable

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

euphronius posted:

Well it isn’t not reasonable

Now you're getting it

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

euphronius posted:

Is yours not? If not, you should change that.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Majorian posted:

Is yours not? If not, you should change that.

What is your criteria for bad ?

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

euphronius posted:

Things that aren't good. Obviously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

euphronius posted:

CainFortea posted:

Things that aren't good. Obviously.

Yeah I don't see what's so hard about this dude.