Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Double Punctuation posted:

Yes; just change the product key in settings and it will work automagically.

Hmm, the settings dialog isn't accepting the key I bought from the SA-mart guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

e: figured it out

Vegetable fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Jan 24, 2020

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

hooah posted:

Hmm, the settings dialog isn't accepting the key I bought from the SA-mart guy.

Try it by running slui.exe directly. If that doesn’t work, open a shell and try running the command dism /online /Set-Edition:Professional /AcceptEula /ProductKey:<product_key>. Finally, you can try using the placeholder key VK7JG-NPHTM-C97JM-9MPGT-3V66T first, then after the upgrade, change the key to the real key. Be sure to back up just in case your key is no good.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Any ideas why my Windows 10 PC refuses to go to sleep if I leave a video playing in fullscreen? If I'm just browsing and leave the PC unattended, it'll go to sleep like normal. But if I have a fullscreen browser video playing overnight, it will finish the video, the display will turn off after the video is over, but the computer will still be running hours later when I wake up. I have auto-play turned off on all streaming sites, so it's not like a new episode is keeping it awake.

I have my Power Settings set to turn off the display after 10 minutes and go to sleep after 20, but neither of those settings seem to apply in this situation.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Lester Shy posted:

Any ideas why my Windows 10 PC refuses to go to sleep if I leave a video playing in fullscreen? If I'm just browsing and leave the PC unattended, it'll go to sleep like normal. But if I have a fullscreen browser video playing overnight, it will finish the video, the display will turn off after the video is over, but the computer will still be running hours later when I wake up. I have auto-play turned off on all streaming sites, so it's not like a new episode is keeping it awake.

I have my Power Settings set to turn off the display after 10 minutes and go to sleep after 20, but neither of those settings seem to apply in this situation.

When the PC is exhibiting this behavior, open an admin command line and enter: powercfg -requests. The stuff that shows up is the stuff that's keeping it awake in that moment.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Don't know what any of that means, really. I guess I could see if it behaves this way with only one FF tab open.

Sorry if this should go in its own tech support thread.

I should note that I can force the PC to sleep by going to Start > Power > Sleep or using a keyboard shortcut like normal, even if I have a fullscreen video playing in Firefox.

Lester Shy fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Jan 25, 2020

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I know Chrome will let the system sleep once a fullscreen video is finished, so it sounds like a Firefox issue.

I guess as a workaround you could make a scheduled task that sends it to sleep at 3AM or something.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Lester Shy posted:

Don't know what any of that means, really. I guess I could see if it behaves this way with only one FF tab open.

Sorry if this should go in its own tech support thread.

I should note that I can force the PC to sleep by going to Start > Power > Sleep or using a keyboard shortcut like normal, even if I have a fullscreen video playing in Firefox.

When I run a video in FFox, it looks like that, but when I pause it, those requests vanish. Same with you? My machine sleeps just dandy with a video paused or ended on FF.

e: if they disappear, FF is probably behaving just fine. Could be another process keeping your machine awake or waking it up.

doctorfrog fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Jan 25, 2020

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Ugh, I'm an idiot. Wallpaper Engine was the culprit. Pausing the video/closing Firefox made all the FF requests disappear but the Realtek one remained. I kept closing programs and checking after each one until I narrowed down the cause.

Edit: Nevermind, I just woke up to a still-running PC, even though I had basically everything except Firefox closed. powercfg -requests still shows that Realtek High Definition Audio is keeping the PC awake.

Lester Shy fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Jan 25, 2020

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Lester Shy posted:

Edit: Nevermind, I just woke up to a still-running PC, even though I had basically everything except Firefox closed. powercfg -requests still shows that Realtek High Definition Audio is keeping the PC awake.

Try just rebooting it. Probably the realtek driver just forgot to release that lock at some point, even though sound stopped playing.

Realtek drivers are poo poo.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Man, Realtek. Of all the companies that go bankrupt, why can't Realtek.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Let me preface this with that I think Windows updates are cool and good and should be either left to install on their own or manually when needed asap. (After others played Guinea pig.)

But what is the current method of killing automatic Windows Update permanent-like? A lab computer that monitors literal year-long experiments has really bad software that can not handle interruptions and only runs on Windows. If it didn't need to save to a network share, I'd just pull the ethernet cable.
I still fully intend to run manual updates whenever there's a chance, but we're less than amused by the computer rebooting on its own and ruining an experiment by missing out on data collection.

I think it's still on 1809, with the most recent updates, if that changes anything.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Geemer posted:

Let me preface this with that I think Windows updates are cool and good and should be either left to install on their own or manually when needed asap. (After others played Guinea pig.)

But what is the current method of killing automatic Windows Update permanent-like? A lab computer that monitors literal year-long experiments has really bad software that can not handle interruptions and only runs on Windows. If it didn't need to save to a network share, I'd just pull the ethernet cable.
I still fully intend to run manual updates whenever there's a chance, but we're less than amused by the computer rebooting on its own and ruining an experiment by missing out on data collection.

I think it's still on 1809, with the most recent updates, if that changes anything.

Group policy editor -> computer -> admin templates -> windows components -> windows update
Configure automatic updates: 3 - auto-download and notify for install
No auto-restart with logged on users: enabled

With these settings set it will just give you ever-increasing notifications to do updates. If you ignore it for like 10 days straight it does a full-screen nag that I think works like a lock screen, so hopefully your monitoring software continues to work under that.

This is the sane way to have manual updates as long as you're taking care of it once a week.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Klyith posted:

Group policy editor -> computer -> admin templates -> windows components -> windows update

With these settings set it will just give you ever-increasing notifications to do updates. If you ignore it for like 10 days straight it does a full-screen nag that I think works like a lock screen, so hopefully your monitoring software continues to work under that.

This is the sane way to have manual updates as long as you're taking care of it once a week.

I'll give that a whirl come Monday. But once a week is gonna be a no go. This software is lovely enough that it absolutely can not resume measurements after an interruption and requires hours of finagling data to cobble a full set back together out of the separate runs that need to be started to at least have some continuity of data.

This is one of those cases where I'm actually looking to go against all best practices and put off updates for months at a time, with full support of my boss. This computer is not used for anything else, so there's no risk of anyone going on the internet and getting hit by some drive by ad serving malware (simply because it's way too slow and all the other computers that do get to update because they monitor experiments on timescales measured in days are faster).

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Would it be possible to block all connections except for to the network share so it doesn't ever detect updates?

Or find a different method of saving info, but I'd hate to be the guy who's idea that was if it ever has a problem.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Keep that poo poo on its own network entirely then. Protect the experiment monitor from being attacked by other computers, and protect the other computers from being attacked by the experiment monitor. Both directions are a concern when lacking security updates.

If it's that important, there's no excuse.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Believe me, I'm with you 100%. But our IT department is very uh... Let's just say they do their best.
I really like the sound of ItBreathes' idea.
If this all doesn't work out the plan B is to cludge together some Linux box that runs a vm with the software that then syncs the data to the network. But that would deffo require a new computer because right now it's running on some core2duo with 2 gb of ram and response time for anything is measured in seconds.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Have your IT team build a WSUS server, use group policy to point the computer at it, then never approve updates.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Important disclaimer that I'm neither a network guy nor an IT guy of any fashion. It occurred to me as 'a thing you could do that would get you where you wanted', not 'a thing you should do' with professional knowledge and whatnot.

You really don't want a vulnerable computer with access to your network. Whatever solution you come up with, if this things not getting patched it needs to be completely isolated from the outside.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
If I were your IT guy, I would accept a compromise of airgapping that computer, and you sneakernet your results off of it.

If there's no internet connection, and nothing new gets installed on it, the only way for malware to get on or off is going to be through sneakernet, and you don't have to deal with maybe Windows undoing a setting at a whim because of course you can't trust Windows 10 not to do stupid poo poo like that, and doing updates.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Windows 10 is a consumer OS, with a primary use case as a gaming device and isn’t suitable for mission critical or medial tech.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Last Chance posted:

Windows 10 is a consumer OS, with a primary use case as a gaming device and isn’t suitable for mission critical or medial tech.

Oh for sure, man.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Last Chance posted:

Tell that to the motherfuckers that make 5-figure software packages that can't even pause and resume measurements.

CFox
Nov 9, 2005

Klyith posted:

I mean there's also the option in that config to never download and never notify, as long as you're running Enterprise or Education. That's really what the guy needs.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

Lambert posted:

Oh for sure, man.

I mean, he’s not wrong

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

nope...wrong thread.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Geemer posted:

I'll give that a whirl come Monday. But once a week is gonna be a no go. This software is lovely enough that it absolutely can not resume measurements after an interruption and requires hours of finagling data to cobble a full set back together out of the separate runs that need to be started to at least have some continuity of data.

This is one of those cases where I'm actually looking to go against all best practices and put off updates for months at a time, with full support of my boss. This computer is not used for anything else, so there's no risk of anyone going on the internet and getting hit by some drive by ad serving malware (simply because it's way too slow and all the other computers that do get to update because they monitor experiments on timescales measured in days are faster).

Have you contacted your software vendor to see what their recommendations are and complain vigorously when their suggestions violates security policies?

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess that this software is decades old, and it's only a miracle (lesser) that it works on Windows 10.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I'm going to go the opposite way and bet that it's industry-standard software with an annual major release packed with new features for the sales team instead of fixes and improvements on the decades-old rotting frame they're stapled to.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I'm going to take the middle ground and say that there is an up to date version that the company in question doesn't want to pay the license costs for, so they are either on legacy support for an old version or not supported at all.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Lambert posted:

Oh for sure, man.

Let's be honest though, it's not wrong.
There's almost nothing about its design that says "stable, clean, designed for constant, uninterrupted operation". There are, however, many things that scream "not properly tested, gimmicky, doesn't regard the user and their workload as important".

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 11:47 on Jan 26, 2020

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
On the gripping hand, I'm gonna say that the software in question was made by a 60-yeaar-old professor and two phd students 5 years ago. The students are long gone, and when you talk to the professor he says he only wrote the parts that are in pascal and the rest he has no idea how it works.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Klyith posted:

On the gripping hand, I'm gonna say that the software in question was made by a 60-yeaar-old professor and two phd students 5 years ago. The students are long gone, and when you talk to the professor he says he only wrote the parts that are in pascal and the rest he has no idea how it works.
Yeah it was described as being used for an experiment, so I'm going to go with this one.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Hey, I went back several pages and didn't see this mentioned so hopefully this isn't a recent repeat, but has anyone noticed their clock disappearing?

I built a new PC on 10 Pro just before Christmas and every now and then, for no apparent reason, my clock in the taskbar seems to disappear. There is a space where it should be, but it's not there. If I double click it no calendar or anything comes up.

However, if I right click on the taskbar and bring up task manager it immediately restarts/comes up.

Any idea what's going on?

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

And you’ve already checked that you’re not stuck in a purgatorial timeless sea? Are your wall clocks and watches still working?

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Have you noticed any alterations of memory accompanying these incidents?

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.
How would they know?

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

There was a bug where sometimes the date would be too long when the date was displayed with the name of the day in it or something like that. I'd expect that to be more of a thing on Wednesdays in October-December though. I actually don't remember the fine details.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.
I just upgraded my cousin's 5 year old, highly bloated win7 install on a 2500k cpu and a spinny drive and from double clicking setup on the usb to getting to the desktop took less than 90 minutes. Meanwhile people with state of the art hardware and nvme ssds and poo poo are seeing feature updates literally taking half a day or longer. Lol wtf Microsoft?

And before anyone says anything, yeah spinny drive etc, "lol upgrade dat poo poo," yeah I know. This is just the first step in migrating him to a shiny new ryzen setup. I had to do it this way because the new mobo's usb won't work under win7, hence no kb/mouse once I get to the login screen. I'm gonna sysprep (which did not make usb work) and clone it next.

Also, a preemptive stfu to everyone who wants to tell me to clean install. I'm doing it this way to save my cousin a shitload of time and spare him from reinstalling all his programs and just generally make his learning curve a little less steep by keeping everything as familiar as I can for him. He's probably a little better at computers than your dear old grandad, but not by much.

E: actually it's just as much for my benefit, because it's gonna save me a lot of techsupp time in the end.

Hipster_Doofus fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Jan 27, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Hipster_Doofus posted:

I just upgraded my cousin's 5 year old, highly bloated win7 install on a 2500k cpu and a spinny drive and from double clicking setup on the usb to getting to the desktop took less than 90 minutes. Meanwhile people with state of the art hardware and nvme ssds and poo poo are seeing feature updates literally taking half a day or longer. Lol wtf Microsoft?

And before anyone says anything, yeah spinny drive etc, "lol upgrade dat poo poo," yeah I know. This is just the first step in migrating him to a shiny new ryzen setup. I had to do it this way because the new mobo's usb won't work under win7, hence no kb/mouse once I get to the login screen. I'm gonna sysprep (which did not make usb work) and clone it next.

Also, a preemptive stfu to everyone who wants to tell me to clean install. I'm doing it this way to save my cousin a shitload of time and spare him from reinstalling all his programs and just generally make his learning curve a little less steep by keeping everything as familiar as I can for him. He's probably a little better at computers than your dear old grandad, but not by much.

Im not sure whats going on with these other folks. On all the modern systems with NVMe Im using, updates take a minute or less.

The no mouse thing is a bitch. Best thing Ive found is upgrade the original system to Win 10 and clone to the new SSD and then transplant that into the new sytem.