Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Leak, Son of Leak:

Yassmin Abdel-Magied appeared on the Australian political talk show Q&A in 2017 and defended what Sharia law means to her and her views on Islam as a Muslim feminist and ever since has been a frequent target of the right wing every time she does anything at all, especially from Murdoch newspapers like The Australian (including both Leaks).

Apparently the story, which seems to be in all the Murdoch papers, is how Abdel-Magied is getting $20K to go to some artist thing in Paris and how outrageous that is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Josef bugman posted:

Apparently Michael Palin is one of the nicest people around, which is good to hear.

His travelogue series are delightful, too, if you can find them.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Gaybies nominations: worst gaslighter

Gaybies nominations: worst obituary (we're in 2020 now, how do you screw that up)

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Cloud Potato posted:

Guardian Australian Sport:
Bold choice to introduce the world to Squires with aussie football :v:

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"

Pilchenstein posted:

Bold choice to introduce the world to Squires with aussie football :v:

Oops! For those unaware, David Squires is a British cartoonist who lives in Australia and draws weekly cartoons on the football (soccer) Premiership and the Australian A-League, which I tend to keep to just the Brit Poli Toon thread since I wouldn't know where to begin to explain all the references he uses (and in the Aussie toons, I've no idea what the references even are).

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

I actually like this. I think it's sweet. :shobon:

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Sandpuppy posted:

I :love: America and Football,, Apple pie and corn!
A little late but I grew up in the KC area and still have friends that live there, and all other Payne bullshit aside:

1) Trump got 19% of the 2016 vote in 2016, 32% of the vote in KCK, and narrowly won nearby less populous counties.
2) If you want to compare SF/Pelosi to KC/MAGA Country, KCMO has Emanuel Cleaver as its rep, and Quinton Lucas as its mayor. The rep for the KCK side is Sharice Davids.

I know Cleaver is a pretty moderate Democrat, I don't know much about Lucas, and I think Davids is generally pretty rad, and in general the idea that Kansas City and San Francisco is some sort of great Culture Clash is dumb as hell, unless you try to push a wedge issue of veganism vs. KC Barbecue and even then.

I don't care about football in the slightest, but gently caress off about MAGAKC, Payne.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Denis?

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

GO gently caress YOURSELF WITH A CACTUS AND A GYMPIE GYMPIE YOU ABSOLUTE loving PIECE OF loving poo poo

Gaybies nominations: worst gaslighter

Yeah the opinion is bad but this is still goddamn art

CAT INTERCEPTOR fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Jan 24, 2020

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Big swipe at the right wing aus fed and state governments from Payne. If they had properly funded parks management and fire services, instead of cutting them, things might not have been so bad.

This is all Morrisons fault, as the leader he has to take the reaponsibility.

T. Bombastus
Feb 18, 2013

Edge & Christian posted:

A little late but I grew up in the KC area and still have friends that live there, and all other Payne bullshit aside:

1) Trump got 19% of the 2016 vote in 2016, 32% of the vote in KCK, and narrowly won nearby less populous counties.
2) If you want to compare SF/Pelosi to KC/MAGA Country, KCMO has Emanuel Cleaver as its rep, and Quinton Lucas as its mayor. The rep for the KCK side is Sharice Davids.

I know Cleaver is a pretty moderate Democrat, I don't know much about Lucas, and I think Davids is generally pretty rad, and in general the idea that Kansas City and San Francisco is some sort of great Culture Clash is dumb as hell, unless you try to push a wedge issue of veganism vs. KC Barbecue and even then.

I don't care about football in the slightest, but gently caress off about MAGAKC, Payne.
yeah but who has the bigger cars

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Josef bugman posted:

Apparently Michael Palin is one of the nicest people around, which is good to hear.

Guy decided to spend his post-Python years traveling the world meeting people and having lovely chats, it's just great.

I saw Cleese and Idle on a tour a few years ago and it was a lot of fun but obviously playing heavily on the nostalgia, and part of what made it work was that the skits they performed were larger from much older and less known material they'd written when they were much (MUCH!) younger. Reading some of Cleese's takes on modern society the last couple of years have been increasingly disheartening.

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011

This joke is so old you would have gotten banned for using it on YTMND. gently caress off you wife-beater.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut
Let's head back to 1992!

Continuing on the theme of "do we have any good candidates," here's someone called Jim Morin making a charming suicide joke:

(Apologies for the ghost images- the book is printed on thin paper with very dark ink, so it's impossible not to see the other side of each page.)

It seems there was speculation about whether Clinton would run for president for a while leading up to it. George Fisher makes an uninspired "kick the tires" reference:

I suppose that portraying Clinton as young and inexperienced makes sense if he's auditioning to run against "elder statesman" George Bush. Also noteworthy is that Clinton didn't enter the race until October- these days if you wait that long, you're Deval Patrick.

Now it's time to meet our cast of characters, and I'm going to jump on Wikipedia and try to summarize who these guys are. I'm mostly going to talk about things they did before 1992, since later events aren't relevant to this narrative. No clue who Kevin Siers is- a lot of the cartoonists have probably retired.

I don't think I need to introduce Bill Clinton, though this shows how his affairs were an open secret, or at least a rumor, from the beginning. The phrase "I'm not Jack Kennedy" is interesting, since Clinton always claimed JFK as one of his biggest political influences. No clue if Clinton actually said that.

Tom Harkin was an Iowa senator from 1985 to 2015. In 1990, he authored the ADA and introduced it in the Senate with a speech incorporating sign language. On the other hand, he helped direct funding for "alternative medicine." He ran for president in 1992 as a populist with labor union support, and was seen as an early favorite. He's not long for the race, though.

Bob Kerrey was another senator, this one from Nebraska, as well as a former governor. Also a Vietnam vet, which I mention because Clinton's draft-dodging will become an issue. I can't find anything noteworthy that Kerrey did- he was considered the front-runner but "his performance on the campaign trail sometimes seemed lackluster." Looks like Siers had his number.

Also, I know it's cheating to reference later things, but I need to share this quote defending his 1999 vote to repeal Glass-Steagall: "The concerns that we will have a meltdown like 1929 are dramatically overblown".

Now we come to the legendarily weird Jerry "Moonbeam" Brown, who was governor from 1975-1983 and again from 2011-2019. During his time as governor in the 70's he was a proponent of environmentalism, among other things using tax policy to incentivize solar power. He was something of a fiscal conservative, supporting a Balanced Budget Amendment. He was very liberal on gay rights for his time, signing a bill that decriminalized same-sex relationships.

1992 was not his first bite at the apple- he ran for president in '76 and '80, losing both times to Jimmy Carter. 1980 was when he really built up his reputation as a weirdo:

Wikipedia posted:

Brown's 1980 platform, which he declared to be the natural result of combining Buckminster Fuller's visions of the future and E. F. Schumacher's theory of "Buddhist economics", was much expanded from 1976. His "era of limits" slogan was replaced by a promise to, in his words, "Protect the Earth, serve the people, and explore the universe".

Three main planks of his platform were a call for a constitutional convention to ratify the Balanced Budget Amendment; a promise to increase funds for the space program as a "first step in bringing us toward a solar-powered space satellite to provide solar energy for this planet"; and, in the wake of the 1979 Three Mile Island accident, opposition to nuclear power...

he suggested a program of tax credits for those who do not smoke or otherwise damage their health, saying: "Those who abuse their bodies should not abuse the rest of us by taking our tax dollars." Brown also called for expanding the use of acupuncture and midwifery.

As Brown's campaign began to attract more members of what some more conservative commentators described as "the fringe", including activists like Jane Fonda, Tom Hayden, and Jesse Jackson, his polling numbers began to suffer... an attempt to film a live speech in Madison, the state's capital, into a special effects-filled, 30-minute commercial (produced and directed by Francis Ford Coppola) was disastrous...

he mostly concentrated on his tax policy, which had been created specifically for him by Arthur Laffer, the famous supporter of supply-side economics who created the Laffer curve. This plan, which called for the replacement of the progressive income tax with a flat tax and a value added tax, both at a fixed 13-percent rate, was decried by his opponents as regressive.

So, yeah, this guy is really strange and his policies are all over the map. Apparently the "moonbeam" nickname was coined by his then-girlfriend Linda Ronstadt, and it's still a term for kooky liberal hippy types to this day.

Finally, we have Paul Tsongas. Tsongas had represented Massachusetts in both the House and Senate from 1975-1985, but had to retire for health reasons. By 1992, he was off the mat and ready to go for the big prize.

A quick overview suggests Michael Ramirez would have kind words for him, as one of his biggest issues was opposing DEBT and deficit spending. He was the founder of something called the Concord Coalition, whose mission statement is to educate "the public about the causes and consequences of federal budget deficits, the long-term challenges facing America's unsustainable entitlement programs, and how to build a sound foundation for economic growth." Still, he also pushed conservation efforts through the Senate. I kind of have a "Barry Goldwater" feel about this guy. "The Boston Herald editorialized that his political philosophy had 'far more in common" with 1990s-era Republican Mitt Romney (who crossed over to vote for Tsongas in the 1992 primaries) than with traditional Massachusetts Democrats like Ted Kennedy.'" Also, he had this charmingly Reaganesque quote: "If anyone thinks the words 'government' and 'efficiency' belong in the same sentence, we have counselling available."

So the stage is set for the early primaries. Iowa was the first caucus, just like today, but it was understood that home state senator Harkin was probably a shoe-in, and so most of the candidates were focused on notching a big showing in New Hampshire. We'll get more into that next week.

Jurgan fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Jan 24, 2020

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Branco's Barr caricature always makes me wonder if he just hates that guy as much as he hates the Dems, and if so, why?

quote:

Normally I try not to stare into the abyss of the Brit-toonist who draws everyone gross and naked but this is possibly my favorite depiction of Lindsay Graham ever, it really captures the essence of his soul.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Don't they already have a republic in everything but name already? Major political decisions are made by the prime minister and parliament, and the royal family are just powerless figure heads kept around for ceremonies.

Am I misinformed on this?

No, because republic is the direct opposite of monarchy. Your queen can be completely powerless, but as long as government is formed in her name and rules at her sufferance (even if it is completely ceremonial) it's not a republic.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

First Dog on the Moon: Australia Day has a dress code now

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Sandpuppy posted:

You can tell how much Branco hates a woman by how many wrinkles he gives her.

Feels like there's an Ivanka joke in here somewhere.

Confetti? Pepperoni? Blood? Why does an electric scooter have a combustion engine? Did Payne advise on this?

What can I draw as a fetus today?

All I see is gibbering fuckwits.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

Wow, he's lucky that nut got scammed with a fake gun.

Raised By Birds
May 5, 2013

Just... just gently caress you. gently caress you, Branco.

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I suspect that dingus thinks that symbol just means peace in general.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Rall: The More Shameful the Scandal, the More a Politican's Supporter

Ted Rall posted:

An odd byproduct of political tribalism is the fact that scandals have actually become a positive, a way to rally the base into showing up at the polls and making campaign donations.

Tags: Base, defend, impeachment, jiu-jitsu, political jujitsu, rally, Scandal, scum, the More a Politician's Supporter, The More Shameful the Scandal, Trump

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Pointing a gun at somebody and pulling the trigger: Well-known metaphor for peaceful intent.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

mistaya posted:

Branco's Barr caricature always makes me wonder if he just hates that guy as much as he hates the Dems, and if so, why?
That’s his Nadler caricature.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

They arrested heavily armed neo Nazis before the event you dense motherfucker.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Garrison posted:

A BAD CASE OF HILL RASH?

Hillary Clinton is a rash on the body politic. Her job is to inflame and insult as her hypocrisy grows. No matter how much she scratches, her desire to become president still itches.

She’s not going away. A sociopath and sadist, she wants to inflict her Deep State disease on all of us, permanently. She lost to Trump and wants us all to pay by means of her omnipresent and insufferable hectoring.

The Democrat Party is not immune. She said Tulsi was a Russian agent and so was Jill Stein. She abhors Bernie, whom she maligned by saying nobody likes him. (Bernie retorted, saying his wife likes him). She says Trump should be retired after calling his supporters ‘deplorable.’

She is officially not running in 2020, but don’t be surprised if she rigs a brokered convention in her favor. If she does this, she will lose again and that will be glorious to watch. Even if she doesn’t run, her itchy scaliness will always be there to inflict misery on us all.

There is no cure. There is no anti-Hillary prescription other than prison. LOCK HER UP!
The Garrisons like dem butts and they cannot lie.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Still with the "Oh, sure, she SAYS she isn't going to run..."

The rights obsessing over her is astounding.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Well...when someone is pointing a gun at a reporter and pulling the trigger, even if it's a fake gun, there's probably reason to be fearful. It could just as easily have been real, and there's often no way to tell. Way to undermine your point, Bok.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Welp:

https://twitter.com/hotpockets/status/1217836433488121858

Since they’ll probably delete it soon:

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

Brandishing a firearm is a crime in Virginia, the gunman there is unambiguously a criminal.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

”Good news! It’s a suppository.”

T. Bombastus
Feb 18, 2013
How did the term "based" get associated with alt-right poo poo? It was coined by a genderfluid black person, which is basically the target of a third of all Stonetoss comics.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Pants Donkey posted:

That’s his Nadler caricature.

That does make more sense. :downs:

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

'With', not 'for', makes this sickening. Even if this was said with the best intentions, which I'm not going to take as a given.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

It was first posted more than two weeks ago, and the hotpockets called Stonetoss' cartoon nice four days ago. Anything short of a news story, I don't think they are going to delete it.

Faustian Bargain
Apr 12, 2014

Hot pockets are officially cancelled.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Faustian Bargain posted:

Hot pockets are officially cancelled.

Tbf this is an Asay-level cartoon where you have to already be horrified by interracial relationships or at least already know that Stonetoss is a Nazi in order to get the intent of the cartoon.

Otherwise it just looks like a positive thing or at worst a joke about using sex to sell unrelated products.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Faustian Bargain
Apr 12, 2014

I was being absurd because who the gently caress cares about the hot pockets twitter account, however I think that Brands™ and people who run social media accounts should probably do some research into the things they are helping promote.

Giving stonetoss any exposure is bad. See a few of these "this looks innocent out of greater context" cartoons and you are normalized to them and might even like them, then you can be exposed over time to the more overt poo poo he does and not realize it.