Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Snake Maze posted:

Rune Factory 4 is great, I put well over 100 hours into it on the 3ds. It's cool because there's tons of complicated systems (farming and making higher level crops, equipment crafting, animal raising, cooking, etc) that have enough depth to dig into them if you want, but you can also ignore them or just barely engage and be fine. You can't really backslide either - for example, if you spend a bunch of time and effort making higher level crops, it will upgrade the store's seeds, so that level you reached is the new minimum quality, even if you ignore the system later on.

The random events are good too, it helps stave off the "I've seen all the dialogue and talking to people is boring" endgame you normally reach in these games.

I don't know if I'll be getting the remake on switch, because honestly if I want to play more there's still tons I could do on my 3ds save instead of starting from scratch, but I'll definitely be getting 5 once it's out.

It also seems to have like, an order of magnitude more random dialogue than any other game of it's type. There is so loving much dialogue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hit or miss Clitoris
Apr 19, 2003
I HAVE BEEN A VERY NAUGHTY BOY

Should I get Overcooked 2 or the first one if I've never played either? I'm sure the nuances of the story won't be lost skipping the first one, but I'm not sure if there were any weird changes in 2 that would make the first one better.

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT
does anyone who likes shin megami tensei games not like tokyo mirage sessions?

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Hit or miss Clitoris posted:

Should I get Overcooked 2 or the first one if I've never played either? I'm sure the nuances of the story won't be lost skipping the first one, but I'm not sure if there were any weird changes in 2 that would make the first one better.

2 for sure. It's a straight up improvement to the point that nobody who's played both can ever go back to the first one

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Lumines was patched, and the score rankings are now showing your proper ones in the overall leaderboards! :woop:

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
I think Rune Factory 4 was the only handheld game that I got rid of somehow... 3DS, right? Maybe turned it back in?

Really not what I was expecting

Jackard fucked around with this message at 09:09 on Jan 24, 2020

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Wizard of Legend, an entertaining rogue-like, has updated. There's a new level, boss, items and spells. Some of the trinkets are really handy, too.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Bulgakov posted:

thank you thank you

I finally went and did the griffin mission at the start to advance the story after doing a buncha the secondary quests in the starting areas, and have been trying to stick to pretty much those ideas of bigger sword numbers. coming from BOTW its hard to resist wanting to grab everything tho :rip:

had my first crash when trying on the clothes in the 2nd chapter or whatever one might call it but otherwise smooth sailing

the control of gerald is clunkier than I imagined

There should be an option for an alternate movement scheme for Geralt somewhere in the options so try that, he's always gonna be kinda clunky though

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
The thing about Geralt's movement was that one of the higher ups at CDPR wanted him to move like Niko in GTAIV. They ended up clashing with the people in charge of the gameplay because it really did detract from the game. The first guy got his will but since players started complaining they eventually patched in a more sensible system. It wasn't ideal, but at least an improvement.

Anyhow, I'm posting because I just got an email from Double Damage and if everything works out Rebel Galaxy Outlaw will hopefully launch sometime in March. The game is basically done and now it's really all up to Nintendo and Sony, but it doesn't seem like either one can hamper the others launch date.
If it does run as well as in the video from December I'm deffo picking it up again. I just hope they include some form of ship painting even if it's limited. It's my favourite game from last year and easily the best easy going Space game since Freelancer despite some pretty bad level scaling. And I'm not counting Elite Dangerous since that's way more of a sim.
https://twitter.com/RebelGalaxy/status/1220433144949760000?s=20
https://twitter.com/RebelGalaxy/status/1037808141709131776?s=20

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

i'm kinda pretty curious about call of juarez now too

heard so many glowing things about it a zillion years ago but never played it because I never played it

looks fun tho!

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

Sakurazuka posted:

There should be an option for an alternate movement scheme for Geralt somewhere in the options so try that, he's always gonna be kinda clunky though

yah its more the general clunkiness

Lodin posted:

The thing about Geralt's movement was that one of the higher ups at CDPR wanted him to move like Niko in GTAIV. They ended up clashing with the people in charge of the gameplay because it really did detract from the game. The first guy got his will but since players started complaining they eventually patched in a more sensible system. It wasn't ideal, but at least an improvement.

but trying out this alternative option :worship:

e: wait on switch maybe is it just mainly swapping the b and a button? :thunk:

can't tell if movement changes really

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Witcher combat is not very amazing, it's mainly a game people enjoyed for the writing and really good quests

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Witcher combat is not very amazing, it's mainly a game people enjoyed for the writing and really good quests

Combat in Witcher 3 is definitely the weakest point. Everything else is friggin outstanding, from the characters and environments, to the writing and quest design.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

i downloaded the dragon quest demo and kind of bounced off it completely; something about the artstyle really turns me off :( i love stuff that’d cute as gently caress and anime as gently caress so idk!

bought link’s awakening and astral chain instead, the former is excellent and i’ve played it a ton, booted up the latter to test it and yet again i’m amazed at how much the switch can pull off if you’re just creative with the visuals. absolutely amazing looking

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Chin Strap posted:

Really miss the social link stuff

tms has social links tho

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

Generic Monk posted:

i downloaded the dragon quest demo and kind of bounced off it completely; something about the artstyle really turns me off :( i love stuff that’d cute as gently caress and anime as gently caress so idk!

bought link’s awakening and astral chain instead, the former is excellent and i’ve played it a ton, booted up the latter to test it and yet again i’m amazed at how much the switch can pull off if you’re just creative with the visuals. absolutely amazing looking

have you played dragon quest builders 2?

get that demo if not imo

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Print-It-Yourself
https://my.nintendo.com/rewards/83ed25cfbbd86ca7

(PDF contains all 12 months.)

Bulgakov posted:

i'm kinda pretty curious about call of juarez now too

heard so many glowing things about it a zillion years ago but never played it because I never played it

looks fun tho!
Gunslinger is awesome because the story is narrated by an old guy who peppers the Wild West with general bullshit and claims of the supernatural. Also, semi-auto weapons.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Generic Monk posted:

I don't hate Toriyama's character design but I do think it's super boring and bland though maybe that's just DBZ overexposure

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Gunslinger is the true sequel to red dead revolver. Only issue is the game is tuned for pc aka it's tough, especially with how some acts require you to shoot your way out of super disadvantaged spots. The bosses are also quick and require twitch skills, but I read they added gyro to the switch port, so this might be mitigated. I'm definitely gonna buy it during the next sale to see for myself.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Bulgakov posted:

yah its more the general clunkiness

but trying out this alternative option :worship:

e: wait on switch maybe is it just mainly swapping the b and a button? :thunk:

can't tell if movement changes really

The option you’re looking for is called “movement response,” and setting it to Alternative makes Geralt turn much less sluggishly. It doesn’t remap any controls so you must be looking at a different setting.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug

Looper posted:

tms has social links tho

Is there like morning and afternoon and evening slots where you determine to hang out with? I'm still pretty early but it seems like stuff is just on auto level with everyone.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Chin Strap posted:

Is there like morning and afternoon and evening slots where you determine to hang out with? I'm still pretty early but it seems like stuff is just on auto level with everyone.

You'll get opportunities to hang out with party members for sidequests between chapters.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

All this Witcher talk makes me want it, even if I have no business messing with a game that long right now.

It did get me to re-organize the dredges of my Steam catalog (100 something of cheap games and poo poo), that got narrowed down to maybe 15 titles I have an interest in getting into including Witcher 1 and 2 since I have a stupid thing chronological order. I realize I won't be able to transfer my save data but here we are. The fact that I will likely never play them will keep me from Witcher 3 for the time being, which isn't a bad thing.

Who knows when I'll ever break out my lap-top to play on though. Who knows.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
I'm about ~50 hours into DQXI now and good god is this game long. I'm enjoying it still but the music is getting really repetitive and I skip through most of the dialogue just because I can read it 10x faster than the characters speak their lines.

Also are there any really good rewards from doing the Tickington quests? I did one set in a mine and the combat was so incredibly tedious that it turned me off from wanting to try any of the others.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
The tickington stuff seems incredible if you're a long time fan and seems like fanservice overload in the best way. When i entered and was forced to 2D mode, i thought "oh that's cute, it's like a SNES RPG now or something".

Then they told me about save diaries from heroes past and i immediately thought "There's gonna be ten of them, right?" and sure enough. I imagine if you've played the previous games, the small send offs must be really something else.

As someone for whom DQ11 is the first one in the series, i say "meh", and even as someone who played Lufia 2 as a kid 20 years ago, the random encounter battles in just the first diary made me want to kill myself.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

gey muckle mowser posted:

I'm about ~50 hours into DQXI now and good god is this game long. I'm enjoying it still but the music is getting really repetitive and I skip through most of the dialogue just because I can read it 10x faster than the characters speak their lines.

Also are there any really good rewards from doing the Tickington quests? I did one set in a mine and the combat was so incredibly tedious that it turned me off from wanting to try any of the others.

The trick is to just slam holy waters constantly

Sakurazuka posted:

I don't hate Toriyama's character design but I do think it's super boring and bland though maybe that's just DBZ overexposure

I don't care much for the humans but the monsters are all so adorable

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!
^ or the spell that the hero gets that wards off weak enemies too

Some decent weapons/armor and stuff but nothing gamebreaking
There's also the "super secret" ultra hardboss that's locked behind completing the entire section

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Also set the 2D battle speed to fast.

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

Weedle posted:

The option you’re looking for is called “movement response,” and setting it to Alternative makes Geralt turn much less sluggishly. It doesn’t remap any controls so you must be looking at a different setting.

ahhhh yes there we go :tipshat:

confusingly was under gameplay options not controller

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
All good suggestions on the Tickington stuff, thanks. This is my first Dragon Quest game so nostalgia isn't a factor. I may come back to them if I finish the game and want more to do, but for now I'll sit them out.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

100YrsofAttitude posted:

All this Witcher talk makes me want it, even if I have no business messing with a game that long right now.

It did get me to re-organize the dredges of my Steam catalog (100 something of cheap games and poo poo), that got narrowed down to maybe 15 titles I have an interest in getting into including Witcher 1 and 2 since I have a stupid thing chronological order. I realize I won't be able to transfer my save data but here we are. The fact that I will likely never play them will keep me from Witcher 3 for the time being, which isn't a bad thing.

Who knows when I'll ever break out my lap-top to play on though. Who knows.

I sympathize, but I'm glad I don't have that compulsion, since I've never played RE3 or RE:CV, and love the poo poo out of RE4.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Witcher 3's original movement system was so infamously bad that even people go love the game (like me) couldn't stop talking about how bad it was.

Lmao that it was because someone had the bright idea to copy loving Rockstar "we deliberately ignore best practices in the rest of the games industry because we love reinventing the wheel" Games.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!

All good suggestions on the Tickington stuff, thanks. This is my first Dragon Quest game so nostalgia isn't a factor. I may come back to them if I finish the game and want more to do, but for now I'll sit them out.

This is definitely the way to handle them in most cases - it's extra, purely optional content

Weedle
May 31, 2006

I will stan GTA4 until the day I die but I couldn't imagine playing a 100+ hour RPG with Witcher 3's original controls. Yikes.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I wound up getting River City Girls. Holy poo poo is this game good!!! The graphics, the music, the fighting, it’s all amazing!

If you’re looking to fill a Streets of Rage 2 shaped hole in your heart like I was, this game just might do it!

Imagine having a soundtrack so good that you use this absolute banger for the save game and options menu

https://youtu.be/LdMKhE18U5U

One question for those who have played it. The moves you unlock in the dojo, they don’t show you how to use them when you buy them. Are these unlocks just unlocking the ability to get that move when you level up? I noticed the level up move sets that you gain come with a button explanation.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Animal Crossing preorder for $53.99 at Best Buy (physical or digital) with "my Best Buy" account and $10 worth of bonus points after pick up. Don't think there's any preorder bonus for the digital version, but god help you if you're buying the physical version of an Animal Crossing game.

I'm gonna be in the market for a Switch come March 20th -- any good deals swirling around? I'm keeping my hopes up for an Animal Crossing-themed Switch, but barring that, I'll just take whatever I can get.

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time

A Sometimes Food posted:

It also seems to have like, an order of magnitude more random dialogue than any other game of it's type. There is so loving much dialogue.

In a good "I want to know more about this character and willingly approach them" type of way? Or in a bad "good lord I just wanted to put a tomato in the shipping box and now I have to mash A through the third unskippable event of the day" type of way?

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Some of the Tickington quests have neat rewards, (a few extra costumes, a golden pickaxe that gets you one extra ore at every mining spot, assorted equipment ) but they're all obtuse fetch quests that link up with each other so unless you have most of those quests unlocked and/or are super hyped for previous game's nostalgia, maybe give it a pass.

There's a boss gauntlet at the end with some really nice rewards (Accessory that gives a 1/4 chance to not use MP, best heavy sceptre in the game, really good Serena costume, reusable item that casts Oomph on the entire active party) but it's the postgame trap of 'if you can beat these guys you probably don't need the rewards'

The Splash
May 30, 2011

I'll never say hole again.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I wound up getting River City Girls. Holy poo poo is this game good!!! The graphics, the music, the fighting, it’s all amazing!

If you’re looking to fill a Streets of Rage 2 shaped hole in your heart like I was, this game just might do it!
Please tell me it has couch co-op because this looks great :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I can't decide whether to use my last voucher on TMS or save it for Animal Crossing