Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
These are the drunk drivers you share a road with.

https://www.facebook.com/379985588736168/posts/2622694337798604/?d=n

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum
Those comments. People love to get all 20/20 on the OP.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Aeka 2.0 posted:

Those comments. People love to get all 20/20 on the OP.

I love all the people asking "How do you know she was drunk???"

Uhhhh I guess I don't for sure, but with how she was driving in the video she was clearly not sober or of sound mind so... does it matter?

I would imagine the people pushing that button have a habit of drinking and driving and think of it as a "skill."

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Can anyone describe what it is for those of us that haven't been sucked into the facebook abyss?

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Can't actually get it to load the video, but it appears to be a car upside down in a hole, fire crews on scene, caption "drunk driving @ 1100am" (paraphrasing).

Gay Weed Dad
Jul 12, 2016

cool dude, flyin' high

Krakkles posted:

Can't actually get it to load the video, but it appears to be a car upside down in a hole, fire crews on scene, caption "drunk driving @ 1100am" (paraphrasing).

Right click> open in a new tab

slidebite posted:

Can anyone describe what it is for those of us that haven't been sucked into the facebook abyss?

Lady ping-pongs off either side of the highway dividers at ~40MPH before flipping into a ditch.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Gay Weed Dad posted:

Right click> open in a new tab
That did it for me! Thanks. I've been off facebook for awhile, only rejoined to sell stuff, so I missed the memo.

Off facebook link, shows the relevant parts: https://www.kktv.com/content/news/I-25-Rollover-Crash-567139721.html

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

https://i.imgur.com/sr063Yx.mp4

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

jfc. Can't make out the state.

I do like the price tag is still attached.

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

How did she reverse tank-commander herself? With a brush in the car. How do these people manage to dress themselves in the morning?

e: oooooh, didn't clear the roof and there was a small avalanche at the first stop.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I've had that happen, and hitting the wipers clears it.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

iospace posted:

I've had that happen, and hitting the wipers clears it.
So you're saying you don't clear the top of your car before you drive it?

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Earlier this week I saw a truck hauling one of those self contained dumpster/compactors on a flatbed. There was about 4 feet of snow piled on top of the dumpster still, probably the most severe example of that common stupidity I've ever seen

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

redgubbinz posted:

How did she reverse tank-commander herself? With a brush in the car. How do these people manage to dress themselves in the morning?

e: oooooh, didn't clear the roof and there was a small avalanche at the first stop.

It happens after the heaters have been running and it melts the bottom of the snow, allowing it to slide right off the first time you tap the brakes.

I caught a very rare double avalanche several years ago:

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
this seems easily preventable. At the same time, you get to not be that guy.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

TotalLossBrain posted:

this seems easily preventable. At the same time, you get to not be that guy.

You don't seem to get it. These are important business people with important business to get to. They don't have time for cleaning snow off their cars.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Krakkles posted:

So you're saying you don't clear the top of your car before you drive it?

I do, but sometimes it's caked on and gets loosened as I drive. I get most of it off though!

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.
Some guy had a chihuahua sitting on his shoulder like a parrot cruising down the highway today, that made me double-take.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

xzzy posted:

It happens after the heaters have been running and it melts the bottom of the snow, allowing it to slide right off the first time you tap the brakes.

I caught a very rare double avalanche several years ago:

I saw the opposite the other day after we got some decent snow. A VW sedan with the entire roof, back window & both rear door windows covered with snow. Hope that person didn't merge into someone later...

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Went to a house for sale yesterday and after we looked at it my realtor and I were just outside chatting. The neighbor of the for sale house backed up into their not-fully-open garage twice...

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Somebody please splain me why pedestrians stand at the goddamn corner of a street at a crosswalk staring across the loving street when they do not intend to cross the street.

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:

PT6A posted:

Somebody please splain me why pedestrians stand at the goddamn corner of a street at a crosswalk staring across the loving street when they do not intend to cross the street.

I made a thread to bitch about that years ago. The problem I saw were bus stops at a corner and the people waiting would stand with toes at the curb and look at oncoming traffic. It was like a weird pedestrian mimic thing that got me a couple times.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

dee eight posted:

I made a thread to bitch about that years ago. The problem I saw were bus stops at a corner and the people waiting would stand with toes at the curb and look at oncoming traffic. It was like a weird pedestrian mimic thing that got me a couple times.

Bus stops are one thing (that's poor placement for a bus stop, not necessarily the bus riders' fault) but this was just some dude on his phone loving staring across the street at the corner for no earthly reason.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

The idiots coming across the road on the protected green stacked up a bit too deep today. I don’t understand why you’d go across when the lane is already backed up to the intersection. Probably 30 people missed this light because these smarties couldn’t stay out of the intersection.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Imperador do Brasil posted:

The idiots coming across the road on the protected green stacked up a bit too deep today. I don’t understand why you’d go across when the lane is already backed up to the intersection. Probably 30 people missed this light because these smarties couldn’t stay out of the intersection.

I gotta be first!
How dare you expect these people to wait like they should.

I will stop at a yellow (or even worse, refuse to enter the intersection on green when there is no room to clear by end of cycle) at a notoriously jammed up/poorly designed intersection, and the rage in my rearview mirror is great.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

toplitzin posted:

I gotta be first!
How dare you expect these people to wait like they should.

I will stop at a yellow (or even worse, refuse to enter the intersection on green when there is no room to clear by end of cycle) at a notoriously jammed up/poorly designed intersection, and the rage in my rearview mirror is great.

Someone cut over into the regular traffic lanes and made an illegal turn on red once because I had the nerve to stop at a light who turned yellow well before I was close.

Sorry for following the law, guess having to wait another few minutes for another light cycle is the absolute worst thing ever.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

PT6A posted:

Bus stops are one thing (that's poor placement for a bus stop, not necessarily the bus riders' fault) but this was just some dude on his phone loving staring across the street at the corner for no earthly reason.

I'm going to start doing this solely to piss you off.

Real talk: it's why I tend to hang back a bit at crosswalks when I have no intention of crossing at the first immediate chance. Usually I stay behind the metal plates or at the light activation button.

Flint Ironstag
Apr 2, 2004

Bob Johnson...oh, wait

Protocol7 posted:

Someone cut over into the regular traffic lanes and made an illegal turn on red once because I had the nerve to stop at a light who turned yellow well before I was close.

Sorry for following the law, guess having to wait another few minutes for another light cycle is the absolute worst thing ever.

Years ago, I had stopped at a "no right turn on red" light. The guy in the brodozer behind me started blowing his horn and yelling angrily out of his window, and then decided to jump the curb to make the turn.

Unfortunately for him, he hadn't checked his mirrors. The cop who was right behind him turned on his lights, intructed me to go ahead and turn when safe (via his loudspeaker), and then chased down the brodozer. I gave the brodozer a quick toot toot of the horn as I passed.

I do hope that that clown didn't memorize the car I was in, since I was doing a post repair test drive of a customer's car.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Imperador do Brasil posted:

Do you not have yellow junction boxes or something similar in the US?

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Lord Ludikrous posted:

I had to google what that even was.

No, I've never seen anything like that here in the US. The law already says that you're not supposed to enter an intersection unless there's room for you to get out of it, but a lot of people seem never to have gotten that message.

e:

Wikipedia posted:

Several U.S. states have enacted laws intending to decrease gridlock at intersections, railroad crossings, and marked crosswalks which prohibit motorists from entering any of the three until they are certain their vehicle can clear it, as recommended by Uniform Vehicle Code section 11-1112.[9] Examples include California,[10] Florida,[11] and Ohio.[12] No special road markings are used to indicate this rule, but some governments post warning signs to increase awareness of the law at problematic intersections.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Lord Ludikrous posted:

I know when I was in Philly once there were "Don't block the box" signs all throughout the city. Not sure of the efficacy of that effort though.

VacaGrande
Dec 24, 2003
God! A red nugget! A fat egg under a dog!
There are pavement markings to indicate this in the US. They're just not used enough.

https://www.thehour.com/news/article/Fines-coming-for-box-blocking-motorists-9177901.php

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

VacaGrande posted:

There are pavement markings to indicate this in the US. They're just not used enforced enough.

https://www.thehour.com/news/article/Fines-coming-for-box-blocking-motorists-9177901.php
Fixed, because ...

Powered Descent posted:

The law already says that you're not supposed to enter an intersection unless there's room for you to get out of it, but a lot of people seem never to have gotten that message.
It's already a thing, it's just rarely enforced.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
We do have laws for a lot of this stuff but I've seen people straight up run a red light in front of a police officer who did nothing, so enforcement is definitely part of the problem.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

There are loopholes with it too, like the law may say you can't enter an intersection unless you can get through without stopping, but another law might say that once you're in that intersection you have right of way if the light is yellow or red. Even if there was money or willpower to enforce it, how could you?

Regardless, society has voted for their own "law" and it's acceptable to pile into the intersection as deep as you can get to try and make that left turn.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Protocol7 posted:

I know when I was in Philly once there were "Don't block the box" signs all throughout the city. Not sure of the efficacy of that effort though.

Yeah I was gonna say we have those all over in Philly.

It's Philly though, you do the math as to whether or not people pay attention to them lol.

MattO
Oct 10, 2003

I once sat through 3 cycles of a light before finally getting out of my car and walking up to the person at the front of the left turn lane and (trying not to scream) explained to them that they needed to move more forward more because they weren't on the trigger thing, since the cars behind them honking and honking didn't seem to get the message across.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

MattO posted:

I once sat through 3 cycles of a light before finally getting out of my car and walking up to the person at the front of the left turn lane and (trying not to scream) explained to them that they needed to move more forward more because they weren't on the trigger thing, since the cars behind them honking and honking didn't seem to get the message across.

Some people just love stopping a full car length or more before the stop line. The same people also really like stopping at least that far behind other cars in a red light queue, ensuring the line is as long as loving possible.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I've been people stopping like 8-9 feet back from the stopline a lot more recently. Not really sure what's up with that. It makes sense to hang back if you're like, in the left turn lane and don't have the protection of a median or something, but pull up to the loving stop line otherwise.

TotalLossBrain posted:

Some people just love stopping a full car length or more before the stop line. The same people also really like stopping at least that far behind other cars in a red light queue, ensuring the line is as long as loving possible.

I've been tempted to parallel park in front of those people just to make a point but I'm a conflict avoidant goon so that's never going to happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

TotalLossBrain posted:

They’re the same people who, upon the light turning green, let the car in front get approximately 5 car lengths ahead before beginning to accelerate. When I leave my office complex there is a very busy right if you hit it at 4pm, 5pm, etc. and you could easily squeeze 12-15 cars through a light cycle if everyone was ready to go when it went green but as it stands you’ll be lucky to get 8 through. Infuriating.