Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Communist Thoughts posted:

The whole point of the prequels was that luke and thus the audiences view of the pre imperial wonderland of the Republic was bollocks. The empire didn't overthrow the Republic, the empire is the Republic under new management.
And the Republic itself was pretty lovely and so were the jedi.

That makes for some deeply cynical films.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

sponges posted:

That makes for some deeply cynical films.

Yeah, and here's the thing - if Lucas (or preferably a better director) had leaned into that and not tried to split the difference between that and a goofy kids' space adventure trilogy of movies, they might have turned out to be good movies.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

He didn’t want to make the same movies again

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

euphronius posted:

It rhymed though

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

euphronius posted:

That's good, but it's not like there were only two options, ie: make the same movies again, and make poopy. (poopy which rhymes, it's like poetry)

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I agree he could have made a movie that you would have liked

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

He should have made a film about youths street racing and called it Revenge of the Sith.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

euphronius posted:

I agree he could have made a movie that you would have liked

Considering that the OT was only good because he lucked into it, and didn't have enough gumption and resources to overrule all the people shouting down his worst ideas, I very much doubt he could have made them good.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I'll note that we've gone some 15 pages of bashing the prequels and that's without even really getting into midichlorians and Jar Jar at all

Here's another way in which the prequels make the OT worse: rather than being some weird ineffable afterlife that a strong Jedi inhabits, Create Force Ghost is actually at the top of the Sentinel skill tree so when Yoda hands Obi wan a build guide on how to spend his ability points so he could do it at the end of ROTS, did he pass it along to Luke on Bespin so he could give it to a newly-rehabilitated Anakin in the last moments of his life on the off chance he repented at the end? It's a good drat thing the respec vendor was so close to the throne room

CainFortea posted:

Considering that the OT was only good because he lucked into it, and didn't have enough gumption and resources to overrule all the people shouting down his worst ideas, I very much doubt he could have made them good.

Once he had the power he went back and literally made the first trilogy objectively worse and then made those the only versions you could see! The man makes bad movie making decisions!

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Should have gone with Vanguard for force charge and force nova

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

CainFortea posted:

Did you like Indiana Jones and the last crusade

Everyone likes that

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

euphronius posted:

Did you like Indiana Jones and the last crusade

Everyone likes that

Sure did. You'll also note that someone else directed it, AND someone else did the screenplay.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Ok so you like one movie he made

So he can make movies you like

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Hi. They're good. Bye.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

OT Force: Judge me by my size do you? Hm? And well you should not! For my ally is the Force, and a powerful ally it is. Life creates it, makes it grow. Its energy surrounds us...and binds us. Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter.

PT Force: The midicholorian is the powerhouse of the Force! Judge me by my midichlorian count do you? Good job because that's the standard, and you've perfectly quantified my power. Now at lower levels you're oging to want to put points into vitality and spirit, but later on we'll move those into advanced attributes once your gear supports it.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

zoux posted:

OT Force: Judge me by my size do you? Hm? And well you should not! For my ally is the Force, and a powerful ally it is. Life creates it, makes it grow. Its energy surrounds us...and binds us. Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter.

PT Force: The midicholorian is the powerhouse of the Force! Judge me by my midichlorian count do you? Good job because that's the standard, and you've perfectly quantified my power. Now at lower levels you're oging to want to put points into vitality and spirit, but later on we'll move those into advanced attributes once your gear supports it.

Exactly

The Jedi were dumb as gently caress

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

For someone who doesn’t like the PT Zoux you keep pointing out reasons it’s good !!!

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug

zoux posted:

Here's another way in which the prequels make the OT worse: rather than being some weird ineffable afterlife that a strong Jedi inhabits, Create Force Ghost is actually at the top of the Sentinel skill tree so when Yoda hands Obi wan a build guide on how to spend his ability points so he could do it at the end of ROTS, did he pass it along to Luke on Bespin so he could give it to a newly-rehabilitated Anakin in the last moments of his life on the off chance he repented at the end? It's a good drat thing the respec vendor was so close to the throne room

How would they become strong Jedi other than training? :thunk:

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

euphronius posted:

Ok so you like one movie he made

He didn't make it. So, well, there's that then.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
It's weird that in the prequel trilogy the Jedi act in one way, but then after acting that way brings everything crashing down they appear to act in a different way. I hope someone got fired for that blunder.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

CainFortea posted:

He didn't make it. So, well, there's that then.

He did tho

I’m looking at Wikipedia right now !!! (In another tab)

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Yoda said "wars not make one great" but then he is shown in the prequels to have actually fought in the war which ended the Republic. I can't believe Lucas didn't put one second of thought into the script and as a result created this plot hole.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

euphronius posted:

Exactly

The Jedi were dumb as gently caress

They were pretty on the mark

Could've dodged a whole lot if they had stuck by their "no nine year olds" rule even

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Mooey Cow posted:

How would they become strong Jedi other than training? :thunk:

You're literally born a powerful Jedi or you aren't. Training serves no purpose except to indoctrinate.

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

everything in the prequels is dumb, boring and lovely on purpose, making them Good.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The cinematography, costumes, sound music etc are all not lovely

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Like I cannot believe people are saying that George Lucas is a secret genius auteur who made the Prequels lovely on purpose.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

euphronius posted:

He did tho

I’m looking at Wikipedia right now !!! (In another tab)

nah you aint.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

CainFortea posted:

nah you aint.

Lmao you cut off the EP

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Saint Drogo posted:

everything in the prequels is dumb, boring and lovely on purpose, making them Good.

Who What Now posted:

Like I cannot believe people are saying that George Lucas is a secret genius auteur who made the Prequels lovely on purpose.

People say this, but when you ask them for examples of things that are lovely it's always stuff like "the Clone Wars are different to how I imagined they probably would have been" or "Anakin is not portrayed as heroic" or "Watto wears a hat"

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

It’s literally made by Lucasfilm

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.

Who What Now posted:

You're literally born a powerful Jedi or you aren't. Training serves no purpose except to indoctrinate.

This is the sequel-view on the force.
In the prequels training and competence and style matchup trumps pure power

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Lucasfilm is a combination of the words Lucas and film
Lucas refers to Lucas

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Well, he didn't produce it, didn't direct it, and didn't write the screen play. Please show me where it says he did and i'll totally retract my statements.

oh wait, you can't cause even you know you're full of it!

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

euphronius posted:

Lucasfilm is a combination of the words Lucas and film
Lucas refers to Lucas

We don't know it doesn't refer to Lucas

uh

There actually aren't that many people with the last name Lucas

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

2house2fly posted:

People say this, but when you ask them for examples of things that are lovely it's always stuff like "the Clone Wars are different to how I imagined they probably would have been" or "Anakin is not portrayed as heroic" or "Watto wears a hat"
specifics like this are the most irrelevant poo poo ever imo. these films just do not hold up on their own merits.

e: wait i didnt clock 'Watto wears a hat" loving lmao

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

He was the executive producer !!!!

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Also it's really funny how you're super duper trying to prove he made The Last Crusade to show that he can make a good movie and ignoring the OT which he actually made and were good.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

CainFortea posted:

Also it's really funny how you're super duper trying to prove he made The Last Crusade to show that he can make a good movie and ignoring the OT which he actually made and were good.

No I’m trying to show that he can make movies the poster likes

I don’t need to prove he can make good movies that is obvious as you mention

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Who What Now posted:

There's the stuff that everyone can do if they have faith, like blowing up the Death Star without a targeting computer, walking blind across a battlefield, or discerning that the government is controlled by evil; and there's the stuff that you need to be a psychic mutant to learn, like levitating rocks.