Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

"The prequels are bad because they are stupid and suck"

"Actually the prequels are good because they are stupid and suck on purpose"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Prequel lords, will you at least concede that the Special Editions were bad, utterly superfluous at best and at worst, made the films they "improved" on worse

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

I mean, lets bring it all back to the original point of this, the dumbest of conversations.

The OT were only good because he wasn't some kind of Movie Master and couldn't just ignore everyone shouting down his terrible ideas. As proof, lets look at the remasters of the OT, where nearly every change he makes is terrible. Also proof, the PT are him going full stupid into what he thinks are good ideas, and they're all terrible.

He was involved in other movies that were good, but he didn't run the whole show. He had better directors, better producers, and better writers to reign in his dumb poo poo.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

"Star Wars was only ever good on accident" is a weird take, especially coming from a bunch of EU lovers lol

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

CainFortea posted:

He was involved in other movies that were good, but he didn't run the whole show. He had better directors, better producers, and better writers to reign in his dumb poo poo.

Good argument

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

euphronius posted:

No I’m trying to show that he can make movies the poster likes

I don’t need to prove he can make good movies that is obvious as you mention

"I'm trying to show that he can make movies the poster likes, but I'm not going to reference the OT which the poster likes for ~reasons~"

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

CainFortea posted:

Also it's really funny how you're super duper trying to prove he made The Last Crusade to show that he can make a good movie and ignoring the OT which he actually made and were good.

Eh, even that can't be said as a blanket statement. The dialogue in ANH is absolutely terrible, it's just carried by a good cast. Empire is good but he didn't direct or write the screenplay, and Jedi, while better than most other Star Wars media, isnt all that great.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Guy A. Person posted:

"Star Wars was only ever good on accident" is a weird take, especially coming from a bunch of EU lovers lol

A friend of mine really hates the prequels and the new trilogy and adores the EU and is super pissed that it's "gone" now

He thought Rise of Skywalker was a good course correction though I haven't gotten around to seeing it yet to know either way

I don't give that much of a poo poo about star wars tbh it's just fun to shitpost about for years and years with everyone

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Who What Now posted:

Like I cannot believe people are saying that George Lucas is a secret genius auteur who made the Prequels lovely on purpose.

The truth that they're good is plain for all to see, if they are willing to think for themselves about them.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Wild Horses posted:

This is the sequel-view on the force.
In the prequels training and competence and style matchup trumps pure power

Anakin only loses two fights, one after escaping capture and already fighting in a huge battle, and the other against the most powerful Jedi of all.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I thought they said they weren’t crediting the OT as accidental

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Bongo Bill posted:

The truth that they're good is plain for all to see, if they are willing to think for themselves about them.

I've thought about it and I respectfully disagree

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

"He sold the company for, you know, $4 billion. He doesn't give a poo poo what I think. George usually sits near a monitor, far removed, so I had to convey my impression...or my feelings...about the dialogue across a great space. So I did shout it. 'George! You can type this poo poo, but you sure can't say it! Move your mouth when you're typing!' But it was a joke, at the time. A stress-relieving joke."

"When Kershner put his first cut of The Empire Strikes Back together, executive producer George Lucas pushed back against the new dialogue, fearing that the audience would laugh at Han’s line. In a 2010 Vanity Fair interview, Kershner said that Lucas insisted on doing two preview screenings, one with Han Solo’s scripted line (which Kershner had also shot) and another with Ford’s version. “At the first preview in San Francisco, the house broke up after Han Solo said ‘I know,’” Kershner recalls. “When the film was over, people came up and said that is the most wonderful line and it worked. So George decided not to have the second screening.”

Reminder that George Lucas thinks Han Solo's "I know" line is bad dialogue

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I wonder how Lucas feels about what the white slavers did to his children after Episode 9

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

He left it in which gainsays your inference that he thought it was bad

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

You discredit Lucas for even the good things he obviously did on the record with witnesses lamo

It’s a sickness

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Who What Now posted:

Like I cannot believe people are saying that George Lucas is a secret genius auteur who made the Prequels lovely on purpose.

who said this dumb poo poo or is it just a really dumb strawman?

He did make the good Star Wars movies even if people want to make believe that he is just a giant idiot child who by sheer coincidence surrounded himself with a bunch of smart and capable people who put in a bunch of effort to make his movie really good despite his best attempts to gently caress it up.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Guy A. Person posted:

He did make the good Star Wars movies even if people want to make believe that he is just a giant idiot child who by sheer coincidence surrounded himself with a bunch of smart and capable people who put in a bunch of effort to make his movie really good despite his best attempts to gently caress it up.

Like it's an episode of the Office where Michael Scott has some zany scheme and everyone in the office is just humoring him but at the end of the day they just fall rear end backwards into making the most beloved Sci-Fi franchise of all time

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

What is the most iconic single scene in the Prequel Trilogy

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Guy A. Person posted:

Lots of people in this thread. When pointing out that the CGI and design in the PT were loving awful, the response by a number of people were "That's okay though, because it was ~groundbreaking~"

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

zoux posted:

Jar Jar stepping in the poopie

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Probably the I have the high ground scene or duel of the fates off the top of my head

Pod racing

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

euphronius posted:

He left it in which gainsays your inference that he thought it was bad

I doubt he had the final cut, we know he didn't for ANH

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

zoux posted:

I doubt he had the final cut, we know he didn't for ANH

The source you posted is implying he does

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

CainFortea posted:

Lots of people in this thread. When pointing out that the CGI and design in the PT were loving awful, the response by a number of people were "That's okay though, because it was ~groundbreaking~"

"The CGI was groundbreaking for the time" is not an equivalent statement to "George Lucas is a secret genius auteur who made the Prequel lovely on purpose" by basically any stretch

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Guy A. Person posted:

Euphronius said it through his deeds and actions, which he will come to regret.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

euphronius posted:

The source you posted is implying he does

What in gods name implies that

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

Bongo Bill posted:

'wake up and learn to love the mass market 2hr Hollywood toy commercials, sheeple' is a fun twist of flavours.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

zoux posted:

What in gods name implies that

He’s controlling the screening process and what versions to show / go with

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Guy A. Person posted:

"The CGI was groundbreaking for the time" is not an equivalent statement to "George Lucas is a secret genius auteur who made the Prequel lovely on purpose" by basically any stretch

The CGI, and Jar Jar, would have way better if they just had Best walking around with that jar jar head on

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Who What Now posted:

Euphronius said it through his deeds and actions, which he will come to regret.

What did I say

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

RBA Starblade posted:

The CGI, and Jar Jar, would have way better if they just had Best walking around with that jar jar head on

:agreed:

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib

zoux posted:

NOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooo

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Guy A. Person posted:

It is tho because he had the option to NOT try to do groundbreaking awful CGI and just go with stuff that looked better.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Why get hung up on what was intentional and what wasn't? The movies have all of this stuff in it. If you were looking for a different idea than the one that's there to find, you might think that it's doing the expected thing wrong, but that's a limiting perspective.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

euphronius posted:

What did I say

You defended some vague aspects of the prequels which makes you a cultist who thinks George Lucas is a film messiah because that's how posting works

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Saint Drogo posted:

'wake up and learn to love the mass market 2hr Hollywood toy commercials, sheeple' is a fun twist of flavours.

I was talking about the prequels, not the sequels.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

It's not at all don't be purposely dumb as poo poo

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

This is a well trafficked thread so I'll say that someone needs to make a thread about star wars comics. I'd do it but I've only read some, they're all available on Marvel Unlimited now so they're super easy to access and many of my very good friends in this subforum, I think, would enjoy to read them. This has nothing to do wiht the discussion at hand

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Bongo Bill posted:

I was talking about the prequels, not the sequels.

I mean