Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

So Persuade and Repair are the skills you can't outsource, then? Persuade because you do all the talking and only you can have it anyway, and Repair so you can get all the content from HK-47?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Blindly trusting the wisdom of your superiors has never gone wrong, thanks Bastila!

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Especially when they’re the same superiors who helped mold and create the two Sith lords responsible for the current state of galactic war. :v:

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
HK is best omnicidal droid.

Yes, he might be in the lower tier of effectiveness of companions, but he makes up for it in sheer charisma.

Of the companions in KOTOR 1, he's my second favorite.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

MechaCrash posted:

So Persuade and Repair are the skills you can't outsource, then? Persuade because you do all the talking and only you can have it anyway, and Repair so you can get all the content from HK-47?

There's a reasonable argument for computer use too, but further commentary would be spoilers.

wedgekree posted:

HK is best omnicidal droid.

Yes, he might be in the lower tier of effectiveness of companions, but he makes up for it in sheer charisma.

Of the companions in KOTOR 1, he's my second favorite.

For all the flak I gave him, I wouldn't go that far.

Repairing him does take him from a complete joke to solidly serviceable. He'll never be a jedi, and 16 points of useless strength will always be funny, but he does get his dex boosted to solid and a few other perks from the complete chain.

Seriously though, I'd love to know if that strength stat was a joke or something that got cut because it's so :psyduck:

DrakePegasus
Jan 30, 2009

It was Plundersaurus Rex's dream to be the greatest pirate dragon ever.

Story characters are statted based on their in-universe abilities, not strictly their core gameplay use. T3 lines up perfectly with what he has to do for the plot. Unfortunately HK can’t chokeslam a Gamorrean due to engine limitations.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

DrakePegasus posted:

Story characters are statted based on their in-universe abilities, not strictly their core gameplay use. T3 lines up perfectly with what he has to do for the plot. Unfortunately HK can’t chokeslam a Gamorrean due to engine limitations.

Except that story wise hk is an expert marksman and doesn't fisticuffs anyone. His stat line is the opposite of what you're arguing.

And if you really want to see that, I guess you could disarm him and watch his goofy punch animation.

lightrook
Nov 7, 2016

Pin 188

FoolyCharged posted:

Except that story wise hk is an expert marksman and doesn't fisticuffs anyone. His stat line is the opposite of what you're arguing.

And if you really want to see that, I guess you could disarm him and watch his goofy punch animation.

I dunno, I'd think physically overpowering soft meatbags is entirely in his character. He's an assassin droid, not a marksman droid, and sometimes you need to get your hands dirty. It'd be a bigger surprise if he hasn't strangled anyone to death before, knowing his history, and you need to be at least a little stronger than your average meatbag to do that.

That said, you're right that there are no moments in gameplay for him to really show it off, and his 16 strength just sits there taunting you. I didn't know about his punch animation though and I'm going to check it out.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Part 20: The Madclaw's Return

Last time, Bastila reconnected with her mother and Mission found out her brother is a worthless deadbeat. With our business on Tatooine now finished, we are free to go and search for another Star Map, and for that we'll be heading to Kashyyyk.

But first, we've got more party member chats to get through. Carth, you're up first.

Saul Karath, in case you forgot, was Carth's mentor before defecting to the Sith. Carth would like nothing more than to kill Saul with his own hands, but there seems to be more to the story than he's letting on.

Carth still isn't too forthcoming with that information, so we'll have to press him for it a bit more.

Come on, Carth. Let's hear it.

I told you about my homeworld. Telos. Four years ago, Saul led the Sith fleet there and demanded its surrender. The planet refused and Saul proceeded to devastate its entire surface. Millions died. I had... a wife and son on Telos. I thought they would be safe there. But my task force arrived too late to be of much help. We didn't have enough medical supplies. The colony was burning and the dying were everywhere. I remember holding my wife and screaming for the medics. They... didn't come in time.

So there you have it. As annoying as Carth can be with his constant mistrust of you and everyone else, he definitely has a valid reason to be the way he is. That doesn't make his behavior any less frustrating, mind, but he's certainly not whining about nothing.

I... miss them. I know killing Saul won't bring them back, and it won't make me happy again... but I have to do it. I don't expect you to understand. I have to pay him back for what he's done... I have to. It's all I have left.

She had courage... and she was stubborn. Heh... a little bit like you in that respect. I could never talk her out of anything once she put her mind to it. And she hated it when I signed back onto the fleet at the start of the war. I had planned on... on leaving soon, to join her...

So what happened to your son? You didn't say.

His name was Dustil and I don't know what happened to him. The colony was a complete ruin, and we never found any trace of him. I made inquiries and followed the reports from Telos for years, but... I stopped. Anyway... that's the story. For what it's worth.

Thank you for telling me.

At least Carth now seems to trust us enough to really open up about his past, so we've definitely made progress on that front.

We'll get back to Carth later on. For now, Bastila also has something to say.

The truth is, I have come to depend on you. Not just for the sake of the mission, but for my own sake as well. I am... I am glad you are with us.

You don't say.

Teasing Bastila is always fun. If you're playing a male character you'll get to do a lot more of that as part of the romance plot, but Zila gets some opportunities as well.

I know my manner can be a bit taciturn. I know you must be getting sick of my lectures about the dark side and... and everything else. I spent all my years being hounded by my instructors. Being told so often how gifted and important I was until I was sick of it.

Understandable. As was pointed out earlier, Master Vrook was the only one of the Jedi Masters on Dantooine to show even a modicum of concern for Bastila as a person rather than a weapon against the Sith. I know they're desperate, but the Jedi are putting entirely too much pressure on Bastila and she's had a hard time coping with it.

Sorry, couldn't resist.

But maybe it's time to change that. You deserve to know how much I respect and admire you. I thought... I just thought I should tell you.

She's having some difficulties showing it, but Bastila does care about us and respect us, which we certainly appreciate.

But enough soul searching for now. We should probably continue on with our mission.

Indeed we should, and we will.

Kashyyyk. The planet known for its giant Wroshyr trees and as the homeworld of the Wookiees, first introduced in the infamous Star Wars Holiday Special in 1978, in which it was called "Kazook". As an aside, possibly the worst headache I've ever had in my life occurred immediately after I had seen the Holiday Special for the first time. I'm not sure if the special itself or the incredibly low-quality RealVideo file was to blame, but I'm going to assume a bit of both. But I digress.

There's our next Star Map. Looks to be on the forest floor somewhere, which really doesn't narrow things down very much because Kashyyyk is all forest.

This is probably my favorite of the planet landing cutscenes. I really like the night sky and the full moon above the treetops here.

This platform was not constructed by the Wookiees. You may have noticed on the Galaxy Map that there's a Czerka outpost on Kashyyyk, and the platform and other walkways were built by Czerka for easier access.

Kashyyyk is a lush but simple and undeveloped world. I would not have expected to find the alien technology of a Star Map here.

Who knows what else is down there? These trees can be several kilometers long.

If the Star Map is located far beneath us on the planet's surface, as our vision seems to suggest, it is unlikely the Wookiees even know of its existence.

I hope someone can point us in the right direction, because searching the entire surface of the planet doesn't seem particularly inviting.

Before we start looking for the map, we've got a few more conversations aboard the Ebon Hawk.

Although I suppose only Malak is left, isn't he? Turned on his own master, not that Revan didn't have it coming. Heh. Typical for their kind, I guess.

Carth has been a Republic soldier for a long time and fought in the Mandalorian Wars, so maybe he saw Revan and Malak in action when they were Jedi.

In the fleet, we didn't see much of the Jedi. I only met Malak once, but I was impressed by him. I guess that just shows how much the dark side can change someone.

Do you know why they turned to the dark side?

Nobody does. When they left after the Mandalorian wars ended, they were Jedi. When they returned... they were something else.

How did they get away with all this?

Well... when they returned from wherever they went, they had an entire fleet with them. Nobody knows where they got the ships. They had a lot of them and as the years have passed there always seems to be more and more... while our forces dwindle. Did they really get away with it, though? Revan was betrayed by Malak... and Malak hasn't won. In the end, the dark side won't help him.

Malak hasn't won, but as the Jedi Masters described it it's only a matter of time before the Sith overwhelm the Republic with brute force and sheer numbers.

I'm starting to think it's different for the Jedi, however. That there's this evil watching them, waiting for its chance. You have so much courage and strength in you... yet, somehow, I have no trouble imagining it differently. Like the flip side of a coin. It's not just you. It's Bastila, as well. She's so... intense. I don't pretend to know much about the Force... but I know evil.

Neither you nor Bastila are fully trained on how to handle your power. I'm just concerned at what might come.

Again, he has a good point. Neither us nor Bastila are fully trained Jedi, and we're quite susceptible to the dark side. That said, for us there really isn't much of a conflict there at all. Even though the dark side is supposed to be insidious and corrupt you before you even notice what's happening, the options we get in the game don't really support this and it ends up being very easy to resist the supposed lure of the dark side by simply trying to be a decent person.

I hope he doesn't take this little comment as flirting. He's totally going to take it as flirting.

I suppose finding the Star Maps is more important than your training... and your safety. I just hope there isn't a price for you to pay.

Well, we did get him all flustered for a bit. We'll leave him alone for now and talk to Bastila again, because these guys just want to keep chatting.

In our time together I've been watching you. You are a true servant of the light, you follow the tenets of the Jedi Order despite the lure of the dark side. And with so little training. For me it has always been a constant battle. Don't you find it difficult at all? You make it seem so easy. Or is that only an illusion?

As I said, it's not difficult at all. It probably should be, but it's not.

I've always struggled for control over my passions. I've always been too quick to anger, too quick to get involved. My instructors constantly berated me for it. I've often dreamed that I might be able to confront Darth Malak myself. I dream I can use all this power I have to kill him and stop all the death and destruction. I just think about all the evil that the Sith have caused and I... I get so furious. Yet we are told that these feelings are the path to the dark side.

That's the problem, isn't it? You tap into the dark side just a little bit, with good intentions such as wanting to take down Malak, and soon you'll find yourself heading ever deeper down the dark path. For all we know, that's what happened to Revan and Malak themselves. It's really a shame the morality system in KotOR doesn't allow this kind of struggle for the player character, because it would be really interesting.

I shouldn't even be asking you this. The Jedi teachings are clear; who am I to question them? And even worse, who am I to try and make you question them?

What?

These are dangerous thoughts, the indulgence of a vain mind. Please, forget I ever mentioned this. Let's just return to our mission.

I don't know, I'm starting to get a bit worried about Bastila. Around this time should also be when the romance scene triggers for a male protagonist if you've been pursuing that.

We can ask our party members their thoughts about whichever planet we're on, but usually they don't say anything relevant. Maybe Zaalbar would have something to say about Kashyyyk, since it's his home planet and all.

I'm not sure what I could tell you. Or even what I would want to. You are an outsider here too. It angers me.

He still doesn't have a lot to tell us. Oh well. I wonder how Mission's doing.

And now he's gotten himself mixed up with the Exchange. Sometimes Griff can be so stupid! Part of me just wants to let him get what's coming to him.

I don't like these options. I don't want Griff to get hurt by the Exchange thugs he's involved with even though he is an idiot, but I also don't want to go "well he's your BROTHER so you must stand by him at all times!" The relationship between Mission and her brother is far from healthy and she'd be better off without him, but there should be some middle ground between these two choices (the third one you can't see is basically "I don't have time for this poo poo").

Maybe a couple broken knee-caps will do him some good! Maybe that's the kind of jolt he needs to turn his life around! Only... what if they do something worse? They might kill him! I don't want him to die; he doesn't deserve that. But I can't just keep supporting his crazy schemes. Someone has to teach him a lesson!

Oh hey, a somewhat reasonable dialogue option.

Maybe if we get these tach glands for him things will work out. Or maybe he'll finally see the light and turn over a new leaf. I know it's not likely, but it's all I have to hope for.

Canderous and Juhani have nothing new to say and we still don't have enough Repair skill to do anything with HK-47, so let's get out there and see what Kashyyyk has to offer us.

Why would we not take these two with us? I think Zaalbar is forced into the party in a couple of minutes anyway, and Mission would probably love to see her best buddy's home planet.

The Czerka Corporation will see to your needs, of course, but there will be a 100 credit docking fee. In advance, I fear.

Of course there will.

Upon collection of the correct fees, I will extend what resources the Czerka Corporation can offer. I'm sure you understand.

If we had the Affect Mind power or its stronger Dominate Mind variant, we could use a Jedi mind trick to get through situations like this. That is a terribly petty way to use the Force, as our Jedi party members will be all too happy to point out, and since that applies to most uses of the mind trick in this game it's not really worth spending the points.

[Success] *sigh* Normally I wouldn't do this, but I don't feel like arguing. I'll consider a promise of future business payment enough.

It's easy enough to persuade these idiots anyway.

Very well, though only the most adaptive people seem to comprehend the Wookiee language, such as it is. Now then, please follow me to our information center. I will answer any further questions there.

I guess we could follow the Czerka drone, just in case he can tell us something useful.

I have not been here long, but I can already see I will not be as welcome here as I had hoped.

Hey, it's a familiar face from Tatooine. How's it going, Komad?

I have come here to seek even greater prey than what we faced on Tatooine, but the climate here is politically cold, and I don't know if I will be allowed to hunt.

Whose permission are you looking for?

An astute question. Czerka Corporation seems in control here, but they don't care if I wander the Shadowlands, so long as I have paid their docking fee. Instead, I hope to gain the trust of the native Wookiee population. I'm not here to just kill the biggest thing I can find; I want to understand how they hunt.

What are you doing to gain their trust?

Very little. I'm sure they have had enough of off-worlders like the Czerka claiming good intentions. I will simply try to stay out of their way. I have heard of an off-worlder that has gained respect by living in the Shadowlands for some years. Perhaps I will attempt the same. It could just be hunter tales, though.

An off-worlder? Interesting.

It certainly would, but sadly this is the last we'll be seeing of our buddy Komad.

I think this is where Zaalbar forces himself into the party if you don't take him. I'm not 100% sure, though, because why would you not take him in the first place?

I am an exile. The slavers on Kashyyyk only took me after I was forced to leave my village home, 20 years ago.

The fight was stopped, but my father did not believe me when I told him about my brother's actions. I was made an exile, disowned by my home and people. I should not be here. They will not accept me back.

Surely he would've at least looked into the claim Zaalbar's brother was dealing with slavers? Why would Zaalbar get exiled for that, anyway?

Our claws are tools, not weapons. To use them in battle is to become an animal. It is madness without honor. I am forever a madclaw in the eyes of my people. Nothing I say is to be trusted. They were right to cast me out.

This is something that still holds true in the new canon. The term "madclaw" isn't used anymore, but Wookiees have a certain code of honor that prohibits the use of their claws as weapons.

Aw, come on buddy. We'll sort this out.

More named NPCs, let's see what their deal is.

Err... okay.

Just be sure to pay cash. The interest on his loans will drain you like a Deluvian fatworm on a Hutt's backside.

Well, thanks for that wonderful image. :gonk:

Poor fellow, he's been waiting for his friends to return with my money for a standard month now. Ah, but you don't need to hear of this. What can I get you?

Something about this seems iffy.

Enslave? I resent that. Simply fair business. This man's fellows left without settling their debts, so he must make up the difference.

I know, I know, it's standard trading rules. I just want to know where my crew went. I was only gone for two days. This isn't like them.

Yes, very sad that they would abandon you, especially while you were doing me a favor and helping repair one of my freighters.

Very iffy indeed.

Oh, it isn't about the amount. After all, as a skilled mechanic, Matton is worth much more than what is owed. Especially on this remote planet.

*ahem* As I was saying, it's a matter of principle. I am nothing if not honest in my dealings, and I demand the same. He will be free to go when his friends turn up and the debt is paid. I honor my deals. Let no one say otherwise.

Right. This may be something to look into if we can find the time, because something about the whole situation doesn't make sense. We could buy some stuff from Eli, but he doesn't have anything we particularly need so let's just move on.

To the left is progress, to the right is the Czerka information center. We're not fans of Czerka, but maybe they could point us in the direction of some interesting ruins on the forest floor.

Oh, they've just got a caged Wookiee right there in the office. Very subtle, guys.

I need supplies. What is available here?

For material goods, I would suggest you speak with the general vendor near the docking area. He keeps his store well-stocked.

That'd be Eli.

If you're here to purchase local species, however, you must wait for a licensed Czerka Corporation trader to return from deliveries outside the system.

I mean, we can see the caged Wookiee right there on the floor, and Zaalbar said his brother was dealing with slavers. I think we can figure out what "purchase local species" means.

Your current Wookiee seems displeased with the situation, but I fail to see a concern. You seem to be a satisfied customer.

Ah, a very difficult thing to stage. I commend you for it. So much easier than relying on restraining collars.

I am merely a servant of the corporation! The Wookiee leadership is in agreement! Harvesting is made as delicate as possible! Please! It is not my decision! It is... an acceptable practice, I assure you!

I'll bet.

We won't be any more understanding, but more information is always good to have.

We are kept profitable and an agreeable leader is kept in power. It keeps the process from becoming a constant firefight.

What is this leader's name?

I believe his name is Chuundar. I don't deal directly with them, thank goodness. Far too brutish.

It sounds as though your thrall has an opinion about our arrangement with this leader, but it doesn't matter. Chuundar is unquesfioned.

What about it, Zaalbar? What's the matter?

This is not something I will talk about. Not yet.

Please, is there anything else? I have work to do.

I forgot to look at his weapon stock, but who cares.

The planet is still very much untamed, and we do not send out patrols for lost tourists.

I think we'll manage without Czerka's help.

So, let's continue on.

Wookiee hunters usually keep numbers down, but I think they leave certain areas infested, just hoping a Czerka guard will get killed.

I'm going past you. I paid the landing fee.

I won't stop you, but you leave this area at your own risk. We're here to protect the company, not you.

Great, thanks.

Onward we go.

No katarns or even a Kyle Katarn here, just a bunch of kinrath. These forest kinrath are very weak and go down without much of a fight.

Zaalbar, you're kinda out of the shot.

I must warn you of one thing... I don't know if I will be a help or hindrance to you here. My father was very powerful... a chieftain. Perhaps his feelings have mellowed, but if my brother had his ear all this time... I may be very unwelcome.

We'll have Zaalbar's back no matter what happens.

I'm sorry, I've taken enough of your time. We should press on.

We can reactivate this droid to help us with some of the wildlife. Probably don't need to, but might as well since it's there. More importantly, that certainly looks like a group of Czerka goons standing over the body of a Wookiee up ahead.

What a lovely bunch.

This Wookiee slave got a little... rebellious. We had to put it down.

That was probably not the best thing to admit in front of an angry Wookiee.

As much as we'd love to sic Zaalbar on these guys and have him rip their arms off, it might be a better plan to solve the situation peacefully even if the Czerka thugs don't really deserve it.

I will do so. For your sake, not theirs.

Zaalbar takes some convincing, but eventually he listens to us.

Just shut up, you trigger-happy idiot.

Do your superiors approve of you killing Wookiees?

No, of course they don't. Why would you ask me that? Are you doing some sort of snap inspection?

In the background, we can see our droid engaging with some of the hostile critters.

Is that a joke? Who do you think you are?

There's a Force Persuade option here if you've got the power for it.

That being said, our Persuade skill is so high that in most cases we might as well be using Jedi mind tricks.

Yes, I say so. Move out. This place just isn't worth the trouble.

Those guys were slaver scum and probably should've been killed, but hey, light side points for solving the situation without violence!

Further ahead, we run into more forest kinrath and a stronger viper kinrath. The viper kinrath can actually deal some damage, and also took out our droid.

The forest kinrath stalkers are also quite strong compared to their regular counterparts, so we occasionally have to heal up while fighting these things.

More forest kinrath, as well as... cliff racers? Sure, why not.

The Wookiee hunters really should do a better job around here. There is a path to the Shadowlands nearby, but a Wookiee guard blocks our way so we can only head further north.

The supply boxes next to the terminal are locked up quite tight, and even Mission's Security skill isn't enough to open them. Captain Dehno back there would have dropped his access card if we had killed him, but obviously we didn't do so. We could use the terminal to open the boxes, but there isn't anything good in them anyway so that would be a waste of spikes. I guess we could also bash the boxes, but :effort:

Oh, these guys again.

Yes, so we've heard.

Let's get this over with.

Like their brethren on Tatooine, the Dark Jedi drop some pretty decent loot including several lightsabers and crystals. The Nextor crystal provides the Keen bonus which increases your critical threat range and stacks with other crit threat bonuses, so that'll go on one of our sabers at some point. We also get the Damind crystal, which is just +3 to Attack.

This must be the way to the Wookiee village.

Stand aside! This human is with me and I want access to the home of my people!

The guard is none too happy to see Zaalbar.

Shut up! GROWWLL! You are nameless with dishonor, mad-claw! Yours is a foulness that disgusts me! RRaaaghh! Enough talk! You and the outcast mad-claw will be taken to Chuundar now!

At this point, Zaalbar is removed from the party and we won't have access to him until later on. We'll find out why shortly.

So that's the great Chuundar, brother of Zaalbar.

You are a mad-claw without honor. You have no voice among your own people. I, on the other hand, am Chieftain.

You may talk, but no one will believe you. I've had a long time to guide what my people think. They trust me, the mighty Chuundar. Even with my brother insane and father enslaved, I rose to protect my people despite it all.

What would a Wookiee clearing their throat even sound like?

I may be able to put you to use on a menial task. Zaalbar will have to stay here, of course.

What is this task?

A simple thing. Another Wookiee has suffered the same fate as Zaalbar, gone mad and been exiled. He now lurks the Shadowlands. More importantly, he's pestering my Czerka allies during their Shadowland expeditions. It is not good for business.

Why would we do this for him?

He'll stay until the mad-claw is dead. The Czerka would never let me hold you, but they don't care what I do with fellow Wookiees.

Oh, that's why. Okay then.

I need Zaalbar with me as a guide.

No, you won't need him to find your way. Over the years I have had my people trained to understand galactic Basic. I tell them it's to better understand the enemy. They think it will make the Czerka easier to fight. Actually it makes them easier to obey. Remember, you can't beat me here. No one would dare oppose me to join with an outsider or an exile.

He went as mad as you when he finally discovered the slavers. He dared challenge them alone and has not been seen since. That was years ago. Let him go, Zaalbar. I rule now. I'll take the Wookiees forward, but there are prices to pay.

And yeah, that is why we can't have Zaalbar with us for most of this section.

drat right, Mission.

Now we can get past the guard that was blocking the way earlier. We could've talked to him and he'd have told us we need to speak with Chuundar.

Okay then, we know where to go next.

Before we meet up with Gorwooken, there's a couple of things we can do in the village of Rwookrrorro. We could try to talk to the random Wookiees walking around, but they barely tolerate our presence and won't have much to say.

However, to the east we've got two points of interest. Let's visit the home of Woorwill first.

What are you doing here? Have you come to laugh at us? Come to gloat about how many of us you take? Can you even understand me?

Then why are you here?

Can I ask you some questions?

I hope not. I hope you slavers didn't get him. N-not that you're a slaver. I'm sorry. I'm very tired. I haven't slept much lately.

Who was Rorworr?

Rorworr? Oh, he's the greatest! He's led hunting parties to the Shadowlands, and even fought outsiders! Slavers... like you probably are. He's taught me a lot. He said I could grow up as strong as him, that I'd fight you too. I will, too. I will.

Woorwill here is supposed to be quite young, perhaps the Wookiee equivalent of 15 or 16 years old. You can't really tell from his appearance because he's just as big as all other Wookiees, but his dialogue makes it obvious.

Anyway, maybe we should look into this situation with Rorworr.

But what if they know something? Maybe they could help?

Outsider, you talk to me if you must bother us at all. Leave him alone.

The other Wookiee doesn't want us talking to Woorwill, so we'll try him instead.

I have nothing to say to you. Go and learn what you can while bleeding our planet of its people and honor.

Should we ask if they've seen Rorworr? They understand us. Most outsiders don't bother to learn our language.

It isn't an easy language to learn, what with all the growls and howls. Big Z told me the whole point was to make it difficult for outsiders to understand.

I will not speak to them and neither will you, Woorwill. I won't allow it.

I'm Zila Galcyon, and I'm here with Chuundar's permission. Show a little respect.

Fine, let's namedrop the big man then.

You taint us... and bring out the worst in everything. You will get no respect from me.

I must leave.

Good riddance. Don't come back, outsider.

Fine. Let's check the other door we saw on the map.

This is apparently where we'll find the local law enforcement.

Can I ask you some questions?

Well, not unless you can tell me where young Rorworr is. Do you keep track of slaves taken?

I have no way of knowing one way or another. You'll excuse me if I don't take you at your word.

When did Rorworr go missing?

It could be ten days or more. He was planning a hunt, and nobody seems to know when he was leaving. He is now overdue. I don't know where to start. It is strange...

Why do you think it is strange?

I don't believe he was taken by slavers. Their slave transports haven't been seen around here. If it wasn't slavers, perhaps he fell in the Shadowlands... but he knew them well. I would search for him, but I don't know where to start. My days of hunting the lower forest are behind me.

Hm. We are going to the Shadowlands, so maybe we could keep an eye out for Rorworr.

I'll be going now.

Farewell then. Bacca keep you well.

Bacca was a great Wookiee warrior from long ago, still widely revered to this day.

Next time, we'll make our way to the forest floor. Can we find the Star Map? What about the outlander who supposedly lives in the Shadowlands? What other surprises might lurk in the Shadowlands? We shall find out.

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Jan 23, 2020

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
I heard there was a way to code in a same-sex romance for Bastila. Probably takes a lot of effort, though.

Some interesting developments here on Kashyyk. Chundar's behavior does have some basis in the history of real life slavery. It doesn't make him any less despicable, though. Especially sucks that we have to cooperate with him and the Czerka Corporation too, hope we get to take these slavers down at some point. And bring back the Wookie father, so Zaalbar doesn't have to stay behind as new chieftain and no longer be a party member.

The Shadowlands are an area of Kashyyk I explored some of in Jedi Fallen Order recently. Got the feeling there was a lot more to it, though. We'll probably see some in this game.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I feel like making the Wookie selling out his own people being the only one with entirely black fur is perhaps a bit too on the nose, even for Star Wars.

Also if I remember right (haven't played this game in over a decade) when I fought Calo Nord for the last time it was on Kashyyyk. I think I basically left Tattooine unfinished because I was trying to scrounge up the money to pay for HK-47 without being a threatening psycopath, and I didn't know about the ways to break the game's economy. Of course, my memory is so vague I recall fighting him on the landing platform which I'm sure isn't correct if the idea is he comes after you right after exiting an area with a star map.

Angry_Ed fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Jan 23, 2020

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Angry_Ed posted:

I feel like making the Wookie selling out his own people being the only one with entirely black fur is perhaps a bit too on the nose, even for Star Wars.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

I completely forgot that Twisted Metal gave that name to a big rig driven by someone who was probably Satan :v:

TitanG
May 10, 2015

achtungnight posted:

I heard there was a way to code in a same-sex romance for Bastila. Probably takes a lot of effort, though.

Some interesting developments here on Kashyyk. Chundar's behavior does have some basis in the history of real life slavery. It doesn't make him any less despicable, though. Especially sucks that we have to cooperate with him and the Czerka Corporation too, hope we get to take these slavers down at some point. And bring back the Wookie father, so Zaalbar doesn't have to stay behind as new chieftain and no longer be a party member.

The Shadowlands are an area of Kashyyk I explored some of in Jedi Fallen Order recently. Got the feeling there was a lot more to it, though. We'll probably see some in this game.

I think it just skips a flag check, you get an unedited romance text as if you were male.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
I actually think that KOTOR is better than you give it credit for for moral conflict.

Most of the choices are definitely Jesus vs. The offspring of Hitler and Skeletor, but if you play a character that's morally good, but greedy, there's honestly a lot of ground.

For example, the merchant that sells HK on Tatooine can be taken from 5000 to 3000 with persuasion, but from 3000 to 1000 with intimidation and Force domination.

Whilst doing that isn't moral; the justification of "I'm on a mission to save the entire galaxy, ruining a merchant is worth it if it gives me a better chance of success," is not outlandish and follows along with where Paragon/Renegade ended up.

The lines of where that then goes are actually good to explore. You could go as far as to justify the Genohardan missions on the grounds of how important equipment is.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
It is a little BUT THOU MUST to pull Zaalbar out of your party and demand you handle someone else's problems, but on the other hand I love how nobody wants to talk to you and thinks you're probably awful like all the Czerka people but you still get a "find the missing wookiee" sidequest. :v:

turol
Jul 31, 2017
The first dark side update is up in the sandcastle, comments on the technical aspects before I post in the thread, please. Also save your comments about the content until after I've posted to avoid confusion.

And in case someone doesn't own these games yet, the Steam Lunar New Year sale is on and both KotOR games (and the whole star wars collection in fact) is 65% off.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Angry_Ed posted:

Yeah, that is quite unfortunate and I'm glad I wasn't the only one going 'wait hold on' - I can understand making him distinctive for purposes of making sure the player can instantly ID him amongst all the wookies, but I don't think they really thought it through, especially as it looks like the rest of them share one or two models that are all much lighter in hue.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Psion posted:

It is a little BUT THOU MUST to pull Zaalbar out of your party and demand you handle someone else's problems, but on the other hand I love how nobody wants to talk to you and thinks you're probably awful like all the Czerka people but you still get a "find the missing wookiee" sidequest. :v:

Basically, they tolerate your presence, but while they acknowledge you're speaking politely to them and trying to be helpful, they just don't trust you because they assume you're more slavers or at least Czerka reps trying to be underhanded by winning their trust before doing something lovely.

The fact that you brought the Mad-claw with you certainly isn't helping your case.

Chief obviously can't let a Mad-claw wander freely, so he holds him prisoner while you go and do your thing in the Shadowlands. Of course, we know why he's REALLY holding Zaalbar, so it's a good bet he has absolutely no plans to let Zaalbar go no matter what we do.

Heir03
Oct 16, 2012

Pillbug
As a dark sider, could you just bypass all of that by basically telling Chuundar to gently caress off and threaten them all?

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
This is still the most memorable of the planets in either game.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
I bet we'd have gotten a warmer reception if we'd arrived on Life Day.

achtungnight posted:

There's a couple of same-sex romance mods up on gamefront dot com.
And one for Carth on the nexus.

Chuundar is a funny name because it sounds like chunder, which is another word for Barf, which is also the name of a character on Spaceballs.

Does the two Us in his name mean someone's been cloning Wookies?

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

And that's the way it is...
I think another planet we haven't been to is quite a bit more memorable. And for bad reasons as much as good ones.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Part 21: The Ritual Beast

Last time, we landed on Kashyyyk and met Zaalbar's brother Chuundar. Chuundar is now the chieftain of the Wookiees after his and Zaalbar's father Freyyr went missing (yes, Zaalbar is in fact Wookiee royalty, even though he was disgraced and exiled as a madclaw), and works with Czerka to ship Wookiee slaves off-world. Chuundar has sent us on a "menial task" to kill a troublesome Wookiee somewhere in the depths of the Shadowlands, stating that he'll be holding Zaalbar until we complete this task.

The critters on the Great Walkway have respawned during our visit to the Wookiee village of Rwookrrorro, but at least it's only a short walk to the path leading to the Shadowlands.

Mission levels up and learns Sneak Attack VI (6-36 points of bonus sneak attack damage) and Master Sniper Shot (quadruples critical threat range).

Bastila also levels up and learns Stasis. Again, I probably shouldn't be giving everyone Stasis AND Force Whirlwind, but more powers to play with is always a good time.

Here's the guard that wouldn't let us pass before we talked to Chuundar.

Gorwooken climbed to the basket from the upper branches, but you will have to walk, outsider. The path is seldom used. There may be vermin nesting along it. Be ready to fight.

Sure thing, let's do this.

drat critters. There isn't anything past these mykal, so we'll continue on.

Eventually, we come across a Wookiee hunting party battling some kinrath. Might as well lend a hand.

As tends to be the case with the Wookiees around here, Chorrawl isn't too pleased to see us.

I won't be your trophy, dead or as a slave. Leave me. You have no place here.

We won't bother him right now. We have more important things to do, anyway.

Chorrawl seems like a decent sort. If you persuade him, you can learn that he definitely isn't down with Chuundar's ways and doesn't think much of him as a chieftain, but can't do anything about the situation because the chieftain's word is law. You can also learn the Wookiees can't fight Czerka because if they do, Czerka will take more slaves. Chuundar has apparently bartered with Czerka to reduce the number of slaves taken as long as the Wookiees don't attack Czerka.

That's Gorwooken up ahead. The container next to him contains a combat suit and a bowcaster, so nothing particularly exciting.

Gorwooken is a great Wookiee name.

Let's not waste any more time.

For some reason, the FMVs on the Xbox One stutter occasionally. I'd blame the game disc for being old and lovely, but I'm playing the digital version from Xbox Live. I've seen some folks complain about the same thing, so maybe it's just an emulation issue. What is really odd is the fact the stutters only started a good number of hours into the game, after I'd left Dantooine. :iiam: Maybe my XboneX just required a hard reset, I'll see if that helped the next time I record.

Of course, on PC the game crashes half the time during one of these FMVs, and minimizes itself pretty much the rest of the time. :v Using higher-resolution versions of the FMVs to prevent the game from switching resolutions might help, but at least the pack I downloaded was in the wrong loving aspect ratio and the game still minimized itself during one of the FMVs.

Man, I wish there was a modern remaster of this game, or at least something like the Aspyr Media rerelease of the sequel.

*ahem* Anyway, here we are on the forest floor. So far, we haven't been eaten by any horrible creatures, but I doubt that'll last long.

See, there are some katarns now.

Dire katarns are the ones you want to watch out for, as their bites hurt quite a lot. All katarns can also regenerate 2 vitality points every six seconds. What I haven't mentioned so far is the fact the composition of trash mobs actually varies depending on your character level. We're level 12, so we get two bull katarns and a dire katarn here. At lower levels, you get a regular katarn and two bull katarns, and from level 15 upward it'll be two bull katarns and two dire katarns.

There are many corpses of fallen explorers littering the Shadowlands. Most of them don't have anything interesting, but this one has a couple of decent weapons. I don't recall if I ever end up using the Zabrak Tystel or if I sell both of these the next time I see Suvam. The Krath, by the way, were a major part of the Tales of the Jedi comics - young magicians who used ancient Sith magic to take over the Empress Teta system.

Not gonna lie, I don't like the Shadowlands very much, at least in terms of exploring the place. It's all so drab and everything looks the same, and it's easy to get turned around even though the maps themselves are quite compact as usual.

As we round the corner, we run into an old man fighting off a pack of katarn with a lightsaber.

Doing a very good job at it as well.

What is he doing in the Shadowlands, anyway?

Why am I here? Hmph. Well it isn't because I like the stink of dead kinrath. Let's move this talk to my camp where the air is better.

Well, color us intrigued. Let's follow Jolee to his camp, maybe he'll tell us why an old Jedi is living down here in the deepest and darkest corner of Kashyyyk.

While following Jolee, we come across some tach. Mission's brother Griff requires tach glands for his latest get-rich-quick scheme that involves brewing Tarisian ale, but we can find some later on without getting our hands dirty.

That must be Jolee's hut. Cozy.

Such as "who the hell are you and what are you doing down here?"

My days of glory are behind me, but... perhaps there is something I can do for you. You must have questions.

Let's not forget why we came here in the first place. We can learn about crazed Wookiees soon enough.

Jolee, by the way, is voiced by Kevin Michael Richardson. Baldur's Gate fans will know him as the "You must gather your party before venturing forth" guy.

The Wookiees have their legends that they were not always here, but it is more than that. The trees themselves are strangers.

What's that supposed to mean?

That's not at all what he said!

More errands? Why not.

A group of them set up camp not far from here. Poachers is all they are. I'd like them removed from this place.

Where are they? How many men?

They are not that far northeast of here. There is usually five in the area, as far as I can see. The Captain of the lot is the one that earned my ire. Mishandle my garden, will he? Hmph!

Why do you care if they are here?

They don't respect this place. They are butchering wildlife and threatening entire species. It's getting under my skin. The Wookiees could take care of themselves if they wished, but the animals are truly helpless victims.

Fair enough.

Their camp is in the far northeast. Now remember, if I wanted them dead, I'd have done it myself. Find a better way.

Why would you want to join up with me?

You presumably have a ship. I've seen all I wish to here. Isn't that enough? I mean, I'm really sick of the trees. And perhaps your destiny might show me something new. You never know.

Why not just go get rid of them yourself?

Don't talk back to your elders, child. Look, they know me quite well, and are always on alert when I approach. The only way I could get rid of them would be violence, which would eventually lead to trouble for the Wookiees. I want them gone, but with as little fuss as possible. They have already caused enough trouble as it is.

Right, if Czerka found out some of their men got killed in the Shadowlands, they'd probably blame the Wookiees (since the guys stationed in the Shadowlands who knew about the crazy forest hermit would be dead) and that'd mean more Wookiee slaves being taken.

Let's see what we can do about this problem.

We're going, old man.

Jolee said the poachers were somewhere to the northeast, so let's head in that direction.

Naturally, we get attacked by more forest critters along the way.

Past these katarns, we find a dead Wookiee... with a Czerka slaver contract on him.

Slaver Contract posted:

This datapad card contains a contract to trade weapons for slaves, and a manifest of goods already delivered. It would seem that Rorworr had sold a number of Wookiees previously, and intended to do so again.

Rorworr was the Wookiee that had gone missing in the Shadowlands, and was described by Woorwill as "the greatest" due to his bravery. Supposedly, he was fighting the Czerka slavers, but the evidence we just found paints a very different picture. As for who killed Rorworr, perhaps the bowcaster bolt casing near his body can give us some indication...

Bowcaster Bolt Casing posted:

This bolt casing was abandoned next to Rorworr's corpse, likely by whoever killed him. Bowcasters and the accompanying bolt casings are very personal items among the Wookiees, and are adorned with traditional family symbols and other identifying marks. It is possible the owner of this one could be identified by a knowledgeable Wookiee.

We'll bring this evidence to the Holder of the Laws once we get out of the Shadowlands. For now, let's continue on towards the poacher camp.

Actually, before we do, we'll level up. Zila gets Improved Force Focus and Knight Sense, Master Critical Strike, and Force Valor, as well as one point to Repair so she can actually complete some repairs on HK-47.

Looks like we found the camp.

This is Commander Dern, the leader of the Czerka poachers.

That crazy old fool is still alive? I suppose he's still upset that we don't all live in little homemade shacks like he chooses. I've got a job to do here, and there's nothing you or that old coot can do about it.

What if I want you to leave the Shadowlands?

Is that old hermit Jolee trying to talk you into doing his dirty work? We've spent too much on setting up just to walk away. As long the sonic emitters keep the preds away and I've got bodies to guard the perimeter, we're staying right here.

Well, now we know what to do.

Obviously, we could attack Dern and his men, but Jolee specifically requested we don't kill these idiots so we'll do this in another way. If you're a darksider, you can help these guys with their poaching because why not.

Right, let's take a look at one of these sonic emitters.

There's one of them. Let's see if we could persuade this fine fellow to let us take a look at the device.

Why am I here? I'm here because this is where the Commander told me to stand. And that's all there is to it. I'm just a guard for this emitter. Why couldn't they have just equipped this lump of tech with a blaster and left me at home?

I want to ask you some questions.

What do these emitters do?

They generate a sonic barrier that allows us to stay in this wonderful location. It keeps the big predators away. I don't know how it works, really. I just know that if they go down, the camp would be overrun.

Say no more.

You can mind trick him as well. There's also the option to use mind tricks on all of the emitter guards to make them leave, which will lead them to get gunned down by Commander Dern. Eventually, Dern realizes he's alone and has to leave, which will complete the objective. This will give you a pile of dark side points.

Enough of those emitters go down and the camp will have to move out. But I never said anything.

Right, let's take a look at this emitter and see if we could arrange a sudden, unfortunate shutdown.

Perfect.

All of these guys have the exact same dialogue. I know Czerka thugs aren't paid to think, but this is still quite silly. We persuade him the same way as the previous guy, and shut down the emitter.

Shutting down two emitters summons this friendly creature to the camp.

The Czerka men decide it's time for a tactical retreat, as they're not paid enough to become dinner for whatever the hell this thing is.

Well, at least whatever it was didn't bother attacking us. Before we inform Jolee we got rid of the Czerka poachers, we should take a look around the empty camp.

There are those tach glands Griff needs. If we had chosen to assist the poachers, they'd have sent us on a tach hunt and we could've gotten the glands that way.

Okay, Jolee, we got the Czerka goons off your lawn.

You specifically told us you didn't want us to kill those guys, you know. I suppose he was just testing us, because that is what crazy... I mean wise old people in RPGs do.

Time for Jolee to hold up his side of the bargain.

There's also a Czerka repulsor field blocking the way, past the poacher camp in the east. I saw it when it was installed, so I know how to pass it. And on the other side... ancient answers. And perhaps a Wookiee you were seeking. I hope he's in the mood for visitors.

Got it. Let's get going.

And so, we have a full party. We naturally have to take Jolee along for this next section, because otherwise it'd be difficult for him to get rid of those barriers along our way.

Here are Jolee's starting stats. We give him an extra Wisdom point to get that modifier up to +3, and give him the usual complement of Force powers.

Knight Valor is the improved version of Force Valor and increases the attributes and saving throws by 3 points instead of 2. Jolee is a grey Jedi, meaning that he can use both light and dark side powers at equal Force point costs.

There isn't much more of interest in the Upper Shadowlands except for this broken droid. Why is there a broken droid all the way down here? Let's see if we can find out.

Playback: "I don't get it. That merchant said there was salvage down here. We need Matton to work the sensors. When he gets back we'll... wait... I'm getting something. Oh, it's Eli. Good. Maybe he'll point us in the right direction. Eli! What the... ! But you got your money, you doublecrossing snake! We had a deal... (blaster sounds)."

Of course Eli killed Matton's crew. Did anyone expect any different?

We'll take the droid's head with us, to present to Eli and Matton later.

Gah!

Actually, we should've gone back to Eli and Matton right now. I forgot the sidequest times out if you progress too far in the main quest. :eng99: Anyway, if you take the droid head to them, Matton discovers the truth and tries to kill Eli. You can either stop him or encourage him for light side and dark side points respectively, and whatever you do you earn 500 credits.

That must be the wall Jolee mentioned. Let's hope the old coot actually knows how to get past it.

I'm not sure I would call a giant purple force field "subtle", Jolee.

It would have been effective if it hadn't relied on the creatures to be walking. Climbers don't have much trouble getting around it.

This is the only one of these force fields we find in-game, however.

Ahh, there we go. Now keep moving. These are the most dangerous depths of Kashyyyk. A few surprises wait for us, I'll wager.

Well then, let's go through and see what we can find.

Welcome to the Lower Shadowlands, which look a lot like the Upper Shadowlands.

As we make our way forward, we encounter what appears to be several Mandalorians attacking a Wookiee.

The Wookiee does well against one of the assailants, but as we saw he wasn't the only Mandalorian attacking the Wookiee.

So, we'll help the Wookiee out by getting rid of the attackers.

Okay, just a sec.

I think you just need to have a medpac in your inventory to help this guy out. Force healing isn't an option.

My hunting party, all of them, killed without honor. I barely survived. I want the murderers to suffer the same.

They followed us for a long while. We found bodies to the southwest, and then again further south after the west branch of the path. Their speed was amazing. They fought like outsiders, waiting until we were unarmed. They would not attack until we had put our weapons away! They strike like cowards!

I'll look into it.

I thank you. I will wait here. I am too weak to fight them again, but I refuse to leave the Shadowlands unless vengeance is sated. Please, if you kill them, I will reward you with whatever I can. They are not worthy of life. Look for them where the bodies of my fellows are. They will only attack you if you are not armed. The cowards.

Right. In order to lure out the Mandalorians, we'll have to unequip our weapons in certain areas of the map. We'll get to that next time, but right now we've got a Wookiee to find.

The Lower Shadowlands are crawling with viper kinrath, which really like to poison you. Fortunately, at this point of the game poison is more of a minor nuisance than anything else, since Heal can immediately remove it and Knight Valor can make us immune to it for 20 seconds. Speaking of which, I should set Jolee to Jedi Support so he'll actually use those buffs.

Another Wookiee. Is this the one we're looking for?

Freyyr? Wait a second.

Well, this may prove difficult.

Freyyr opens the fight by spamming a bunch of grenades, including a CryoBan grenader which'll freeze us in our tracks. Not a good start.

Okay, that's better.

From here, it's not too difficult to beat him. On my first attempt, I was able to Whirlwind him immediately and the fight lasted about four seconds, but the game crashed after the next bit of dialogue so I had to redo it.

Once you knock off enough of his health, Freyyr surrenders.

What? Those are the names of my sons! But they are lost to me now: one exiled, the other a traitor!

Mission just now realized that? I know Zaalbar doesn't make a big deal out of the fact he's Wookiee royalty, but it's been established in no uncertain terms that Zaalbar's father used to be the chieftain and Chuundar is Zaalbar's brother.

What? No!

If I had seen the lies of Chuundar, he would have been exposed as a slaver. Zaalbar would not have been exiled...

Exiled? Big Z never told me that! Of course he never said he was royalty, either.

He just told us that when we landed! Why isn't anyone paying attention?

Chuundar would blame disappearances on the dangers of the Shadowlands. Zaalbar was crazed when he found out. He attacked Chuundar with his claws. I thought he had gone mad... shed his honor. I was bound by the old ways.

So Zaalbar was exiled. When did you learn the truth?

A year later. By then, Chuundar had spread lies of my own madness. I had no allies when I confronted him. He and his Czerka guards attacked me. I had to retreat to the deepest Shadowlands, but even there they followed.

Well, what happens now?

That would depend on you, Zila Galcyon. You will either kill me or decide that I may yet benefit my people. There is a way I might challenge Chuundar, but it would take a lot to convince people they have been lied to.

There is a legend of a great warrior from the old times. Bacca was his name, and he is greatly revered. Bacca found a crashed starship, our first hint of life elsewhere. He was a cautious old wook, and feared the taint of invaders. He constructed a vibroblade from the wreckage. It has long symbolized our independence. Only destined leaders have held it.

Crashed starship long ago? I wonder if the Builders were involved.

Here in the Shadowlands Rothrrrawr fought the Great Beast. He sought a challenge, but this arrogance got him more than he could handle. He survived, but the blade of the sword stayed in the creature's hide. Our tales say it was taken because we had become undeserving. The hilt is still in the court of our chieftain... with Chuundar. If the blade could be found, Zila Galcyon, tradition could cast doubt on his rule.

I think we can guess what the beast might look like...

Many years ago, when I was far younger than I am now, a Jedi came to hunt the creature... a proud and boastful young man. Like many before him, he did not return.

Since when have Jedi traveled the galaxy to hunt some creat--oh no. I think we know exactly what kind of creature we're dealing with. This might be bad.

Fresh blood will draw it out. Before Chuundar's rule put an end to the ritual, fresh kills were often left as offerings in the south of this area.

There is a place of ritual south of here. If the Great Beast is to be lured out of hiding, it must be done there, using the old ways. The flesh of a fresh kill would be tempting bait if displayed properly. Find an appropriate beast of sufficient mass to attract it. I will stay here and try to think of what I will say to Zaalbar. I have wronged him. I hope he can forgive me.

We'll help Freyyr find the blade, of course. Hopefully, he'll be able to patch things up with Zaalbar after all of this is done.

Well hello there, appropriate beast of sufficient mass.

And this right here would be the place of ritual Freyyr described. Let's check that marker first.

[The beast comes when summoned, if you are generous. It comes to battle, if you are worthy and wise. It grants you glory, if you are fearsome and brave.]

Okay, anything else?

Alright, we know what to do. Let's get this ritual underway.

[The ground beneath is stained by years of blood, suggesting that freshly killed animals have been suspended from the vine many times in the past.]

We'll do exactly what the old hunters did to lure out the beast.

Hello again!

This, in case it wasn't clear yet, is a terentatek. One of the supposedly extinct beasts bred by the Sith to hunt the Jedi. The Jedi who came to Kashyyyk must have been there to hunt the terentatek as part of the Great Hunt, and failed.

Mission can spam Master Sniper Shot to hopefully stun the beast and give us an opportunity for a sneak attack bonus.

Jolee will throw out some buffs and then try to stun the beast with criticals.

Cripes, that hurts. I do wonder why the terentatek didn't attack us at the Czerka camp, considering the fact terentatek prey on Jedi and are attracted to the Force specifically. Speaking of the Force, terentatek are naturally resistant to it, so we're not using Force powers to attack.

There we go, Jolee managed to get the beast's attention. That gives us and Mission the opportunity to attack from behind and deal huge damage.

Terentatek are resistant to the Force, not actually immune except to Force Push and Whirlwind. I actually thought they were completely immune, but clearly they are not because Jolee managed to put the monster in stasis.

That means we've won.

[While certainly painful, it appears the blade caused only surface damage to the creature. Who knows how long it lived with this injury.]

And there we go, Bacca's lost blade is now ours. We'll take this to Freyyr soon enough, but first there are other things we must do.

The journal found in the stomach of the terentatek turns out to have belonged to Guun Han Saresh. That's very interesting. Guun Han wasn't just some Jedi who was hunting terentatek during the Great Hunt, but one of the three Jedi assigned to hunt the remaining beasts after the Hunt had officially ended. However, those three were supposed to have gone to Korriban together and met their final fate there. Why was one of them on Kashyyyk? Perhaps the journal will tell us.

Guun Han's Journal posted:

This data pad was recovered from the remains of a terentatek on Kashyyyk, and must have been devoured by the beast. It appears to be the personal journal of Guun Han Saresh. The last entry explains what he was doing on Kashyyyk:

Duran and Shaela have given in to their passion for each other, and are doomed to fall to the dark side. I tried to warn them against expressing their love, but they called me arrogant and accused me - ME! - of being the one on the dark path. I left the fools on Korriban.

But I am not about to abandon the mandate given me by the Jedi Council. I will destroy the terentatek wherever I find them. I have heard rumors such a beast may exist in the Shadowlands of Kashyyyk.

I shall go there and slay the beast, proving that I do not need either Duran or Shaela with me to defeat these creatures!

Well then. The idea was that the three of them - Guun Han Saresh, Duron Qel-Droma (the journal spells it as Duran, but it's Duron), and Shaela Nur - would work together to avoid falling victim to the dark side on Korriban, but Duran and Shaela ended up falling for each other instead and Guun Han stormed off. Frankly, I think Duron and Shaela might have been right about Han being the one on the dark path, but we can't know for certain what happened. Maybe we'll eventually learn what happened to the other two.

If you're playing on PC, this is also where you'll find the Circlet of Saresh, a head accessory that provides a +5 boost to Wisdom. Sadly, that particular item is not in the Xbox version at all, which would be why we didn't get one here.

In any event, next time we'll look for the Star Map, hunt some invisible Mandalorians and, if we have time, finish the main quest on Kashyyyk.

turol
Jul 31, 2017

Doc M posted:

If you're playing on PC, this is also where you'll find the Circlet of Saresh, a head accessory that provides a +5 boost to Wisdom. Sadly, that particular item is not in the Xbox version at all, which would be why we didn't get one here.

And if I recall correctly, light side only.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

I, uh, may have a problem here. I've recorded ahead a bit, and I'm running into a black screen glitch during a certain section during which you play solo as one of the party members. And no, it's not the famous glitch involving stealth. I hope I'll be able to fix this, perhaps by choosing another party member for the section, or this LP may have to end prematurely.

EDIT: Never mind, complaining on the internet helped. I ran into the issue twice, then made this post, and then everything worked fine on the third attempt.

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Jan 24, 2020

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
The Mandalorian fights on various planets are some of the toughest in the game. They hit hard and have an annoying habit of resisting force powers.

Kashyyyk and Manaan will both make you hate the looping alien voice audio.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

You joke but the current rumor going around is that there might be a KOTOR remake on the way.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Don't feel too bad. I too, forgot the last time I played about that particular sidequest becoming unfinishable if you progress too far before turning it in.

Kind of unfortunate game design that in order to actually finish that sidequest, you actually need to leave the Shadowlands *before* finishing the main quests there, when there's otherwise no reason to leave. And there's no real indication that said quest will be locked out if you don't.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I am glad to finally see Jolee Bindo, probably my favorite of the party in this game.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Aww, looks like youtube finally removed the full video of my favorite bit of voice acting from Kevin Michael Richardson: the Guardian from Samurai Jack.

SoundwaveAU
Apr 17, 2018

Even on dark side runs I don't have the heart to be mean to Wookies. They're too cute and fuzzy. I just wanna hug them, not bully them.

TitanG
May 10, 2015

zakharov posted:

The Mandalorian fights on various planets are some of the toughest in the game. They hit hard and have an annoying habit of resisting force powers.

Kashyyyk and Manaan will both make you hate the looping alien voice audio.

Manaan has so much grating poo poo it's insane.
Also hello mr. Bindo, you're a pretty great guy. Hope you keep him around a lot.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

It's almost impressive how unsubtle the dark side options are.

:j: : "You look like you're in trouble, friend."
:wookie: : "Yes, we are under attack by outsiders!"
:j: "That's terrible, how can I help?"
:wookie: "Well, you could rescue my friend Wookenstein."
:j: "Sure, no problem!"
:wookie: "Great! I think he went-"
:j: : "Oh wait, haha, sorry to interrupt but actually I'm just gonna stab you to death. My bad."

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Good to see Kevin Michael Richardson getting work in the Star Wars universe. I've enjoyed his voice acting in other places.

The Shadowlands does seem a bit bland in this game. I also think Jedi Fallen Order must feature a different part of it because the wildlife is different.

Before reading this post, I thought the Mandalorians fought with honor. Attacking from stealth and only if you don't have equipped weapons doesn't sound very honorable.

"Well, this may prove difficult." LOL

I'm now particularly interested in the Dark Side path on this planet and what happens if you kill Freyr and Chaundaar both. I'd guess it leaves the tribe in disarray and you have no problem with that.

I look forward to seeing Zalbaar and Freyr's reunion.

I agree that Jedi Guun Han was probably on a dark path.

Complaining about something on the Internet actually helped? It's a miracle! :D

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

achtungnight posted:

"Well, this may prove difficult."

The delivery on that one is perfect, too.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
I don't think I've ever used Jolee. I tend to hit Kashyyk last and by that point I've gotten used to using Canderous and Zaalbaar

Hopefully this LP will let me finally see what he's about

EggsAisle
Dec 17, 2013

I get it! You're, uh...

quote:

Before reading this post, I thought the Mandalorians fought with honor. Attacking from stealth and only if you don't have equipped weapons doesn't sound very honorable.

The Mandalorians are scattered and leaderless since the end of the war, and their credo is basically "might makes right" anyway, so I could see how a few bands might rationalize petty banditry. It's been known to happen in the real world, at different times and places- medieval/early modern Europe and Japan come to mind, and I'm sure there are other examples.

I always liked the overall aesthetic of this planet, with the platform villages and walkways built among the trees, and the FMV of the lift descending always had a cool look to it (when it wasn't crashing the game, at least!) If the remake comes to fruition, it'd be really cool to see the area in a modern engine. I didn't realize it featured in Fallen Order, I'll have to check that out sometime.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I can understand the Mandalorians' banditry rationalization, but I still don't like it. When our buddy Canderous takes over them, I hope he puts a stop to it.

Fallen Order [spoiler warnings] features three areas of Kashyyk- an Imperial sap refinery, the Shadowlands, and the Origin Tree, as well as the forested swamps connecting them. The enemies are Imperial storm and scout troopers, Wyyyshocks (giant spiders), Slyygs (giant acid-spitting slugs with ram heads), jaw plants (giant venus flytraps), Flame Beetles (giant beetles that spit fire and explode when killed), Saava (killer vines with sharp tips that seek you out), and Mykal (same pterodactyl things we see in this game, the only wildlife the games have in common other than Wookies when it comes to Kashyyk). You visit the planet searching for Wookie Chief Tarrful and meet some other Wookies also. On your first visit, you have to help the Rebels free some captive Wookies at the sap refinery. On a later visit, you meet Tarrful in the Shadowlands and he directs you to seek an artifact at the top of the Origin Tre, which you then have to climb. Naturally this leads into an encounter with the sacred Shyoo Bird (an ally) and a boss fight with an Imperial Inquisitor. I definitely recommend checking the game out- it's awesome in many ways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grizzwold
Jan 27, 2012

Posters off the pork bow!

Night10194 posted:

I am glad to finally see Jolee Bindo, probably my favorite of the party in this game.

:same:

old man jedi owns