Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Focusing lately on really rotating my shoulders/torso and just letting my arms follow instead of trying to swing with my arms. It's a completely different feeling and I was really flushing my irons today the range (except 5 and longer, still can't hit them at all).

I'm still thinking about trying out some F9 one-length irons because I think it might help me enjoy golf more. I know I should just git gud with long irons but why make it harder on myself if I can hit my 7i well?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

AndrewP posted:

Focusing lately on really rotating my shoulders/torso and just letting my arms follow instead of trying to swing with my arms. It's a completely different feeling and I was really flushing my irons today the range (except 5 and longer, still can't hit them at all).

I'm still thinking about trying out some F9 one-length irons because I think it might help me enjoy golf more. I know I should just git gud with long irons but why make it harder on myself if I can hit my 7i well?

Get fit, though. One length doesn't cure all the issues with long irons. The lower the loft, the more difficult it is to hit well, and the more you need solid strikes. And, to achieve the distances of clubs with longer shafts, I think the lofts are a bit stronger.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

I’d love to play Torrey South, it’s a really pretty course. I’d probably shoot 120 but it’d be worth it

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

torgeaux posted:

Get fit, though. One length doesn't cure all the issues with long irons. The lower the loft, the more difficult it is to hit well, and the more you need solid strikes. And, to achieve the distances of clubs with longer shafts, I think the lofts are a bit stronger.

That's a good point, I hadn't considered it might be the loft that gives me trouble and not the length.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Shrapnig posted:

I’d love to play Torrey South, it’s a really pretty course. I’d probably shoot 120 but it’d be worth it

It and the North course are both really not too bad unless it’s windy. Way fewer trees than there used to be since some bad storms over the last decade or so. Torrey and Bethpage Black are the only Major courses I’ve played and Bethpage seemed much more difficult.

I’m wrapping up my week on the Georgia coast, flying home tomorrow. Played four different courses and it felt great since I last played a few days after Christmas. We ate dinner at a barbecue place right down the road from Sea Isle and they had a bunch of personalized signed swag from Zach Johnson on the walls, it must be a favorite.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.
I’m glad Tiger made the cut. Have tickets for the third round tomorrow. Never been to a PGA event before so looking forward to it!

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Looks like you picked a good day to watch Tiger.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

I’m waiting on his approach behind the 13th green currently, been a fun day so far. The Tiger crowds are pretty nuts in person

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Tough back nine for Tiger today but had a real good time watching. Been standing for about seven hours straight now though with the two-hour delay in the morning

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Glad you enjoyed it!

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Watching those guys in person is a lot of fun. You don’t realize how good they are until you see them in the flesh

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Well that’s something I’ve never seen before. Tiger just two hopped and dunked one and the ball hit the bottom of the cup and bounced out

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

ughh that was bullshit.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

https://twitter.com/PGATOUR/status/1221495824233922560?s=20

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

It almost looks like it spun back up and out of the cup lol. I can't remember ever seeing that happen.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

that's the damndest thing I've ever seen :psyduck:

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Leishman put his big boy pants on this morning.

Holy poo poo, Rahm had a hell of a run to get back in the mix...I'd have liked to see that eagle drop on 18.

torgeaux fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Jan 27, 2020

Dr. Capco
May 21, 2007

Pillbug
Tiger was saying he liked playing a spinnier golf ball in his golf digest videos for shot shaping and that's all I could think about watching that.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Dr. Capco posted:

Tiger was saying he liked playing a spinnier golf ball in his golf digest videos for shot shaping and that's all I could think about watching that.

Yeah that thing was spinning like crazy. He hit down on it really well.

That hollow THUNK sound as he hits it is great

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

A week ago I couldn't hit a driver to save my life. After making an effort to rotate and stop swinging with my arms, I suddenly seem to actually be able to hit a driver kind of reliably. Turns out it's incredibly fun to use a driver when every shot isn't a huge banana push slice.

I kinda feel like I've unlocked the secret to golf here (that good golfers already know of course)

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
My drives are only ever straight on the range; when i get on the course some part of me chickens out and i get a tremendous slice

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
I'm finally starting to really "get" lag...I mean, I've understood the concept and importance of it, but for years I've been swinging with my arms, and that is a tough habit to break. But I find the longer the club, the tougher it is for me to maintain. My focus is now on keeping my arm (especially the lead arm) in contact with my chest/pectoral muscle, but that really breaks down when I'm swinging anything longer than...oh, say a 6-iron. Is that normal?

Speaking of which, since I "figured it out," I've added —no poo poo— anywhere from 10-15 yards to my irons...on good strikes, anyway. Accuracy is still an issue, but is definitely better now.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Lincoln posted:

I'm finally starting to really "get" lag...I mean, I've understood the concept and importance of it, but for years I've been swinging with my arms, and that is a tough habit to break. But I find the longer the club, the tougher it is for me to maintain. My focus is now on keeping my arm (especially the lead arm) in contact with my chest/pectoral muscle, but that really breaks down when I'm swinging anything longer than...oh, say a 6-iron. Is that normal?

Speaking of which, since I "figured it out," I've added —no poo poo— anywhere from 10-15 yards to my irons...on good strikes, anyway. Accuracy is still an issue, but is definitely better now.

Johnny Miller has a good video about exactly what you're trying to do, skip to about halfway into it. Get your hips turning ahead of the rest of the downswing and that should pull it through the way you're looking to do.

Another good breakdown here. Payne Stewart was the king of lag and legitimately one of the best iron hitters in the game because of it.This is what's going to get you hitting down on the ball more and putting the divot ahead of the ball, giving it that great 'pop'.

E: Fred Couples has spectacular tempo as well, and is another guy that puts a shitload of lag in his swing.

E2: Another good video, Ben Hogan himself explaining how to get hips ahead

DJExile fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Jan 30, 2020

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Lincoln posted:

Yeah it's wild how a body swing adds so much effortless power over just arms.

So now I can hit a drive reasonably straight (on a good strike). But it's not going particularly far - 220 or so I'd say usually. My backswing is very short (though it doesn't really *feel* short).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oyu3AtiO5d8

you can't really see the ball well but this was actually one of the nicest drives I've ever hit. Went about 220-230 or something, real nice flight. I don't crank up the backswing because I don't want it to fall apart on the downswing. but I'm probably losing a lot of power there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ev3oIBDiELc

tried to bring it back more here and shanked it.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Hey Andrew do you have any tips for learning how to swing with your body instead of your arms? I've been taking golf seriously for about a year and I feel like I've peaked without learning how to do this reliably. Because of how I attack the ball my margin for error feels razor thin.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Kirios posted:

Hey Andrew do you have any tips for learning how to swing with your body instead of your arms? I've been taking golf seriously for about a year and I feel like I've peaked without learning how to do this reliably. Because of how I attack the ball my margin for error feels razor thin.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=snFh56fm64Y

This video was very useful to me. It gave me a dead simple thing to focus on.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Got out to the course today to try this new swing out. 40 degree weather, no wind, literally had the place to myself. Awesome.

Struck the ball well all day. The swing still works! Standing closer to the ball on my long irons was kind of a revelation.

Hilariously I still couldn't break 100 because I 3 or 4 putted almost every single hole.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

AndrewP posted:

Got out to the course today to try this new swing out. 40 degree weather, no wind, literally had the place to myself. Awesome.

Struck the ball well all day. The swing still works! Standing closer to the ball on my long irons was kind of a revelation.

Hilariously I still couldn't break 100 because I 3 or 4 putted almost every single hole.

Nice. Putting on winter greens is dicey anyway, so take the improvements.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

torgeaux posted:

Nice. Putting on winter greens is dicey anyway, so take the improvements.

yeah no kidding. I didn't know what winter greens were until now.

I do need a new putter though, this old rear end Ping Anser isn't working for me.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

AndrewP posted:

yeah no kidding. I didn't know what winter greens were until now.

I do need a new putter though, this old rear end Ping Anser isn't working for me.

If you have the means, get fitted for it, or at the very least try out a bunch of different styles.

Remember it’s the only club in your bag that you’ll (usually) use on every hole

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Shrapnig posted:

If you have the means, get fitted for it, or at the very least try out a bunch of different styles.

Yeah, I wish I hadn't spent decades farting around to find a putter and putting stroke that suited me. If you can swing it, a fitting will cut a lot of bad putting time off the end.

Dr. Capco
May 21, 2007

Pillbug
I got a tourstriker planemate a couple weeks ago and it's easily the best training aid I've ever used. I'm going slow on the protocols and have basically been only using the first 3 but my wedges from 120 and in have never been so crisply struck and deadly accurate. The feels are easy to replicate when the belt is off too and even if there wasn't a full swing band it would be worth the investment for the scoring club improvements. It's expensive but I would definitely say it's worth it if you can pick one up.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Shrapnig posted:

I actually went to a 2nd Swing today and didn't get fitted but tried a bunch. Kept coming back to an Odyssey Stroke Lab 2 Ball Fang. I knew I wanted a face-balanced mallet style that would forgive mishits, and this one certainly does. But the two-ball alignment system just really clicked with me. Ended up leaving the store with it.

AndrewP fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Feb 1, 2020

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

AndrewP posted:

I actually went to a 2nd Swing today and didn't get fitted but tried a bunch. Kept coming back to an Odyssey Stroke Lab 2 Ball Fang. I knew I wanted a face-balanced mallet style that would forgive mishits, and this one certainly does. But the two-ball alignment system just really clicked with me. Ended up leaving the store with it.

My dad got me an Odyssey Marxman for some sort of holiday when I first started playing and I really liked it, it's like the putter you got but a solid line instead of the two ball and rounded at the back as opposed to the fangs. I think my putter came out several years before yours. Used it for a couple years and then won this bad boy on some website:

The putter just clicked with me, I can't explain why. I need to send it in to get refurbished at this point but I don't know if I'll ever use another putter unless I get "serious" with my golf game and get a true fitting. Not my pics btw.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Y'know that CSC Security that basically never does anything at most major sporting events?

CBS has filed a $1,000,000 lawsuit against them for standing around as 64 cameras were stolen from the PGA Championship

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Shrapnig posted:

My dad got me an Odyssey Marxman for some sort of holiday when I first started playing and I really liked it, it's like the putter you got but a solid line instead of the two ball and rounded at the back as opposed to the fangs. I think my putter came out several years before yours. Used it for a couple years and then won this bad boy on some website:

The putter just clicked with me, I can't explain why. I need to send it in to get refurbished at this point but I don't know if I'll ever use another putter unless I get "serious" with my golf game and get a true fitting. Not my pics btw.

Edit:. That is the nicest looking putter I've seen. I gotta put my hands on one to feel it.

I went from lovely cheap, to a nice callaway blade putter which did not fit my game at all, to a used ping b60 that I loved but could only use on fast greens, to a mallet style Callaway that worked for me, to finally the Heavy putter I use now. I cannot imagine changing again, this is my putter and I've never putted better.

https://www.google.com/search?q=hea...Ufo0Vfm8jwESEM:

torgeaux fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Feb 2, 2020

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

DJExile posted:

Y'know that CSC Security that basically never does anything at most major sporting events?

CBS has filed a $1,000,000 lawsuit against them for standing around as 64 cameras were stolen from the PGA Championship

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://i.imgur.com/hmYy8bZ.mp4

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Phil Mickelson had back to back chip-ins at Pebble today :stare:

https://youtu.be/cDBHczrEjjU

God his wedge game is just unfair

DJExile fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Feb 9, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AndrewP