Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Dude fuckin rules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Wasabi the J posted:

Writing a comic and writing a campaign and improvising are different skills.

"I can't believe Einstein was such a brilliant physicist! He loving sucked at pool!"
Yes, I know. I think one of the other differences is that I don't think Brennan actually cares about superhero stuff at all, so it's hard to subvert a genre when you don't really know the stuff that's been well-trod, and it's hard to engagingly write about something you don't care about.

That said, Strong Female Protagonist was, like, increasingly bad and tone-deaf enough on some things to be moderately offensive, so it was a shock to see Brennan's creative work in another context and have it be really good. Like, not offensive in the way that I walked away thinking, wow, that Brennan guy has issues, but more like, uh, touching on issues facing marginalized groups and fumbling it multiple times.

I'm going to cut off this post here because this is not a thread about Brennan or Strong Female Protagonist and mostly I just wanted to say Tiny Heist is good and I hope everyone at Dimension 20 is able to find new work.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

PetraCore posted:

Yes, I know. I think one of the other differences is that I don't think Brennan actually cares about superhero stuff at all, so it's hard to subvert a genre when you don't really know the stuff that's been well-trod, and it's hard to engagingly write about something you don't care about.

That said, Strong Female Protagonist was, like, increasingly bad and tone-deaf enough on some things to be moderately offensive, so it was a shock to see Brennan's creative work in another context and have it be really good. Like, not offensive in the way that I walked away thinking, wow, that Brennan guy has issues, but more like, uh, touching on issues facing marginalized groups and fumbling it multiple times.

I'm going to cut off this post here because this is not a thread about Brennan or Strong Female Protagonist and mostly I just wanted to say Tiny Heist is good and I hope everyone at Dimension 20 is able to find new work.

Is there a good critique of SFP anywhere because I've seen goons say it had issues multiple times but I've had trouble finding any details on it.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Pigbuster posted:

Is there a good critique of SFP anywhere because I've seen goons say it had issues multiple times but I've had trouble finding any details on it.
Not, like, a short one that I've found, and I'd have to reread to write something up but I'm not inclined to spend all that time on something I don't like.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

PetraCore posted:

Thank you for explaining your view to me. That makes a lot of sense.

I agree that more creators, my younger self included, understood you have to understand the rules before you can properly break them; this includes social commentary.

TheArchimage
Dec 17, 2008
SFP was pretty good, even inventive, at the start; the mock thread started out as an earnest fan thread. But it's for the best if you pretend the comic ends after chapter 3. Chapter 4 is forgettable, and Chapter 5 with it's "perhaps murdering accused rapists in cold blood is cool and good hmmmm makes you think" plot is when the writing quality craters and never, ever recovers.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

I know I'm three years behind on this but I just started getting through TAZ again and BOY does The Suffering Game seem like the worst. I can't believe there are like eight episodes of this. It seems like the worst kind of masochism to have to deal with as a player.

I did enjoy Justin calling out Griffin on his negating of a spell effect for story purposes, though

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
New Graduation!

I might’ve said it before but the theme song really is some The Sims poo poo

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

As another Brennan, I'm still mildly surprised every time I see someone else with my name in the wild.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I love Graduation.

Edit: OH GOD, THE FRANCHISE BIT!

RandomPauI fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Jan 23, 2020

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Griffin's song was fantastic

i like this campaign a lot and the much higher Goofs Per Minute level feels like season 1

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Sankis posted:

I know I'm three years behind on this but I just started getting through TAZ again and BOY does The Suffering Game seem like the worst. I can't believe there are like eight episodes of this. It seems like the worst kind of masochism to have to deal with as a player.

I did enjoy Justin calling out Griffin on his negating of a spell effect for story purposes, though

Yeah it was rough to get through but the payoff is one of the best parts of TAZ.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
It was sort of like a lunar interlude except they just sort of did nothing at all.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
I dunno, I would have fun as a player seeing what kind of awful poo poo the DM cooked up :shrug:

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

docbeard posted:

As another Brennan, I'm still mildly surprised every time I see someone else with my name in the wild.

How often do you have to correct people when they call you Brendan

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

now HERE is a hungry boy for bark...

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

docbeard posted:

Could be worse. You could be a Jeffrey.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XU4pPvHLIwc

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Colonel Whitey posted:

How often do you have to correct people when they call you Brendan

Brendan, Brandon, Brent, Byron once.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Macchiato for Brosnan?

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010
Travis accidentally quoted them for 0.5% interest compounded annually over 60 years. Whoops.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

dirksteadfast posted:

Travis accidentally quoted them for 0.5% interest compounded annually over 60 years. Whoops.

gently caress this season! This was the last straw.

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010
I know you’re joking, but I wasn’t trying to dunk on Travis. My accountant brain was just irked by hearing him say they’d make 350 gold off 1000 over 5 years. I want a bank like that.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

dirksteadfast posted:

I know you’re joking, but I wasn’t trying to dunk on Travis. My accountant brain was just irked by hearing him say they’d make 350 gold off 1000 over 5 years. I want a bank like that.
But the fun thing is it's a mistake the Firbolg could make.

Mr. Trampoline
May 16, 2010
Travis said it was 0.5% interest compounded monthly, not yearly.

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010

Mr. Trampoline posted:

Travis said it was 0.5% interest compounded monthly, not yearly.

The quoted interest rate is always the annual rate. When it compounds monthly you divide the interest rate by the number of periods it compounds in the year. It makes the effective interest rate higher, but not “35% over 5 years” higher.

Tenik
Jun 23, 2010

Look, the firbolg just learned what accounting is. Cut him some slack!

Xander B Coolridge
Sep 2, 2011
Lol I commented on a clip from one of the previous live shows about how terrible the audience questions are and the question asker actually responded to me

It was the "what do I do with all these teeth?" question, which she had already decided. I need to just stop listening to the second half of live episodes

Xander B Coolridge fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Jan 24, 2020

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy
I find it kind of weird that The Besties has not had one ad yet. They always say “let’s take an ad break” or whatever, but then there’s like 2 seconds of silence and they’re back.

I’m certainly not complaining but it does seem odd, right? How is Spotify going to make their money back?

UNLESS...Am I not hearing ads because I have Premium? I literally didn’t think about that until typing this just now, and that would actually make some sense. Can anyone without Spotify Premium confirm if this is the case?

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!
The franchising bit in TAZ was extremely solid. Justin is really bringing a lot here.

I'm also very relieved that Travis offered an in-game reason for further adventures to be just the three boys. I know it was probably the plan from the start and might not have made sense to implement until they came back from a mission, but I'm glad they won't have to bring along a whole school field trip's worth of NPCs anymore.

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

timp posted:

I find it kind of weird that The Besties has not had one ad yet. They always say “let’s take an ad break” or whatever, but then there’s like 2 seconds of silence and they’re back.

I’m certainly not complaining but it does seem odd, right? How is Spotify going to make their money back?

UNLESS...Am I not hearing ads because I have Premium? I literally didn’t think about that until typing this just now, and that would actually make some sense. Can anyone without Spotify Premium confirm if this is the case?

I don’t have premium but I have gotten one ad as a preroll once on desktop but never during the ad breaks.

Spotify has dynamic ad insertion so once they get more advertisers they can drop current ads into back catalog episodes.

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp

Bobulus posted:

Could be worse. You could be a Jeffrey.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XU4pPvHLIwc

A few years back they used my name as their generic stand-in male name and it was a weird few months to listen to the podcast.

The Dylans and Dereks who listen to the show must feel like this all the time.

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool
I probably shouldn't have but I laughed really hard when the pegasus said she was doing research and I don't know why.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

Acute Grill posted:

A few years back they used my name as their generic stand-in male name and it was a weird few months to listen to the podcast.

I'm a Jeremy and I've definitely felt odd during a few episodes

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Jerry is NEVER a liked character.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Wasabi the J posted:

Cursing Jerry is the best character the McElroys have ever invented.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

Wasabi the J posted:

Especially Cursing Jerry. Get out of here Cursing Jerry!

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Aw, gently caress yeah dude!

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach

Wasabi the J posted:

What about little jerry

Mae
Aug 1, 2010

Supesudandi wa, kukan-nai no dandidesu

timp posted:

I always figured it was because I have premium, and was excited by the idea of getting other podcasts ad free with the service

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Team_q
Jul 30, 2007

Acute Grill posted:

"You don't want to be Eric" gave me a bit of an existential crisis.