Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

crimedog posted:

I'm still confused about Harlan, like he really thought he got a large dose and was feeling the effects like a placebo?

He, to his knowledge (and in actuality), hadn't gotten any morphine yet that night. His comment about how great it is was presumably an observation of how he's enjoyed its effects on previous nights.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

jivjov posted:

He, to his knowledge (and in actuality), hadn't gotten any morphine yet that night. His comment about how great it is was presumably an observation of how he's enjoyed its effects on previous nights.

I think what crimedog means is, it seems like Harlan would've been able to tell that he didn't actually receive a mega-dose of morphine because he would've started feeling the effects by the time he was lying down to slit his throat, but he clearly still believed her.

My take is that he just wasn't thinking that clearly. He was too concerned with a) protecting Marta and b) going out with a flourish, so he never stopped to think, "Wait, shouldn't I be feeling those effects Marta described by now?"

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!
clearly he was feeling the far more powerful high of Murder Mystery!

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I wonder if RLM is ever going to do a Half in the Bag for this movie.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Fish Noise posted:

I had hoped that he was writing down something that maybe would implicate someone.
Like "Hey, this is a great murder mystery hook. I bet ____ had a hand in this"

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

:five:

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Pollyanna posted:

They don’t watch good movies.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Pollyanna posted:

Of course not. They would have to admit that Rian Johnson made a good movie and that doesn't fit their brand.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
We are done with spoiler tags, right?

Fish Noise posted:

I was paying close attention during that scene because it did seem to take a little long for the effects to kick in, but you can actually see sweat on his brow reflecting light in one shot. That mollified me, because profuse sweating was stated to be one of the symptoms of the overdose, and it was a great detail to see anyway.

Can I also say how much I enjoyed the sound design in the movie? Especially the ones that were exaggerated to a surreal degree, like Walt's cane just hammering on the floorboards, punctuating his message of blackmail, and especially the knife slitting Harlan's throat that kept ringing in Marta's ears like tinnitus from a gunshot.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

DrVenkman posted:

Of course not. They would have to admit that Rian Johnson made a good movie and that doesn't fit their brand.

Unfamiliar with them, but presumably they'd initially mention Knives Out and then go on a screaming tirade about The Last Jedi. yes?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Pollyanna posted:

If they haven't done it by now, they're probably not gonna. They'll probably talk about it briefly in a compilation video of stuff they missed over the past [x] months

Everyone posted:

Unfamiliar with them, but presumably they'd initially mention Knives Out and then go on a screaming tirade about The Last Jedi. yes?

They've mellowed on TLJ since they found Rise of Skywalker worse.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

DrVenkman posted:

They both liked Looper quite a bit

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
They also don't only review movies they dislike; they have a worthwhile review of Heredity that isn't just them bashing on nerd trash.

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

crimedog posted:

I'm still confused about Harlan, like he really thought he got a large dose and was feeling the effects like a placebo?

This is one of the things about the movie that you just have to let go. Anybody that has ever gotten a morphine shot in the hospital knows it effects you quickly, and considering that he comments on how much he enjoyed it previously he should clearly know that. If a relatively small dose effects you quickly, a massive overdose would be noticeable just as quickly. Him being able to make plans at all shows he hasn't overdosed.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

pyrotek posted:

This is one of the things about the movie that you just have to let go. Anybody that has ever gotten a morphine shot in the hospital knows it effects you quickly, and considering that he comments on how much he enjoyed it previously he should clearly know that. If a relatively small dose effects you quickly, a massive overdose would be noticeable just as quickly. Him being able to make plans at all shows he hasn't overdosed.

It works though because it's Harlan getting in his own way again and not letting Marta do her job. He should be able to feel the effects yes, but he's also immediately launched into his plan. He's too enamoured with what he's doing to really stop and think about it.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

YggiDee posted:

I don't think she has any specific crimes to her person but she's probably the one screaming the loudest when the will comes out.

Watching Jamie Lee Curtis hiss "yoooou littleee BITCH" will never not be amazing.

crimedog
Apr 1, 2008

Yo, dog.
You dead, dog.

Fish Noise posted:

I forgot to mention that I liked this explanation for Harlan

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!
Harlan on Murder Mystery! is like that "woah... I FEEL GREAT OHHH YEAAAAHH" kelloggs parody commercial, so it is quite understandable that he wouldn't notice the lack of effects from an overdose of mere morphine.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Adrenaline at that moment is probably doing the same rush.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
"because you are a good nurse" :qq:

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
Really interesting breakdown by Rian of the “Gravity’s Rainbow” section of his screenplay (spoilers)

https://twitter.com/ntjohnson/status/1220411670100615168?s=21

Also movie is being released for digital steaming February 7th.

theblackw0lf fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Jan 26, 2020

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
More than anything I would love to see (a) bloopers from this, and (b) a small teaser in the vein of ‘Benoit Blanc will return in...’

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

The_Doctor posted:

More than anything I would love to see (a) bloopers from this, and (b) a small teaser in the vein of ‘Benoit Blanc will return in...’

Per Johnson's in theater commentary track, he did heavily consider putting "Benoit Blanc will return in [mystery name]" at the end of the credits, but decided not to tempt fate

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

jivjov posted:

Per Johnson's in theater commentary track, he did heavily consider putting "Benoit Blanc will return in [mystery name]" at the end of the credits, but decided not to tempt fate

In theatre commentary track? How do I achieve this black magics?

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Just download it here and then listen to it with headphones while you're in the theater.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

YggiDee posted:

Just download it here and then listen to it with headphones while you're in the theater.

Oh wow, thanks! Guess my AMC Stubs is getting another go.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

The_Doctor posted:

Oh wow, thanks! Guess my AMC Stubs is getting another go.
Johnson has done in theatre commentary tracks for all his movies, I think. They're pretty neat (the ones I've listened to, which are all but Star Wars and Knives Out).

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Johnson has done in theatre commentary tracks for all his movies, I think. They're pretty neat (the ones I've listened to, which are all but Star Wars and Knives Out).

I don't think he did one for Star Wars. There's a commentary on the bluray though.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
Reminder Knives Out is out on digital this Friday.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Deadline is reporting that a Knives Out sequel is officially greenlit.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
https://www.polygon.com/2020/2/6/21125680/film-vs-digital-debate-movies-cinematography

This isn’t really about knives out but it’s a rad as hell camera nerd deep dive.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

CaptainPsyko posted:

https://www.polygon.com/2020/2/6/21125680/film-vs-digital-debate-movies-cinematography

This isn’t really about knives out but it’s a rad as hell camera nerd deep dive.

This is a fantastic article. Johnson talks about some of this stuff in the in-theater commentary track, and I hope one day we just have a documentary about it.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
He talked about it (and a lot of other things) here too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7uR0cJYBZI

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I'm glad about the sequel. Blanc is a character you can keep using.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I'm glad about the sequel. Blanc is a character you can keep using.
Plus it's a franchise opportunity for Daniel Craig that's probably a lot more fun than James Bond.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

WSAENOTSOCK posted:

Plus it's a franchise opportunity for Daniel Craig that's probably a lot more fun than James Bond.

I always wonder if KO was shot in order because in Craig’s first scenes he’s having trouble disguising the fact that he’s having the time of his life.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

The_Doctor posted:

I always wonder if KO was shot in order because in Craig’s first scenes he’s having trouble disguising the fact that he’s having the time of his life.

That kind of works. It Benoit Blanc getting into a mystery - of course he's having the time of his life.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

The_Doctor posted:

I listened to the director's commentary, and the first scene Craig filmed is the one right at the beginning of the end, when the whole family is gathered to hear Marta's confession and he jumps in and stops her because he has just read the toxicology report.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

TychoCelchuuu posted:

I listened to the director's commentary, and the first scene Craig filmed is the one right at the beginning of the end, when the whole family is gathered to hear Marta's confession and he jumps in and stops her because he has just read the toxicology report.

If they filmed some of the ending scenes first, that really explains how excited Craig was during the summation scene.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Arist posted:

If they filmed some of the ending scenes first, that really explains how excited Craig was during the summation scene.

Is it wrong that I kind of want the end of the next Bond film to have Craig's Bond retiring to become a private/consulting detective? Blanc. Benoit Blanc.