Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Pile Of Garbage posted:

What have you read? Was it anything within the last 5-10 years?

Basically just statistics. I’d prefer “small but relatively frequent” over “rare but really bad” as far as accidents go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seance snacks
Mar 30, 2007

Pile Of Garbage posted:

(I wasn't even doing hard poo poo out there, just computer infra poo poo).

Do you mind if I ask what the salary is like?

Being a computer toucher by trade myself, I have been considering jobs like that. Doing it for a year or two to put some cash away while I’m single.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Noslo posted:

Do you mind if I ask what the salary is like?

Being a computer toucher by trade myself, I have been considering jobs like that. Doing it for a year or two to put some cash away while I’m single.

TBH I can't really comment as I wasn't doing FIFO shift-work and just flew out when required for 2-6 days at a time. I did manage to negotiate an ample amount of hazard pay and OT with my employer before doing it though. Proper FIFO work will have more rigid but higher pay scales with bonuses and whatnot.

From what I've seen off-shore IT usually falls under the role of ET. It's kinda hosed because back in the day the ET was dealing with just electrical poo poo but over the years they added data cabling/termination to that and then switching equipment and then VSAT equipment and then servers. So now the ET has to deal with all electrical poo poo plus Layer 1/2/3 switching (Both copper and fibre on Layer 1), VSAT/microwave/packet radio, SIP/VoIP telephony, telepresence, rack power supply and distribution (UPS, PDU, ATS poo poo) and keeping servers powered on. Thankfully for them from what I've seen desktop support is forked back to on-shore remote support.

Admittedly I've never seen things from the rig operator side, only the company side (Edit: clarification, the operator is the company that owns the rig/vessel, the company is the one contracting the rig/vessel to do poo poo like drill or lay pipe. When it comes to IT this was a big thing as that was the clear point of demarcation, they'd setup the vessel to give us a segregated network as well as separate racks for gear and independent VSAT uplinks). But what I did see showed an environment of rushed hosed-up shortcuts where everything was urgent and nothing was done properly. Always electrical will take precedence over fixing data and fixing things took weeks.

So yeah, I'm sure ET pays well but the amount of responsibility I've seen heaped on them, especially chief ETs, is just insane. Mad respect for the work they do but gently caress that.

Pile Of Garbage fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Jan 25, 2020

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

snugglz posted:

just start working in event production, if you are remotely sober and remarkably unqualified you will likely be more qualified than most people I work with

Ugh, remotely sober? Like, all the time? Maaaaaaaaaaannnnnn I can't deal wit that, I'll just stay in education.

(just kidding, I'm actually looking for work and it seems like a few places nearby are hiring, i love industries with low expectations!)

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

Ugh, remotely sober? Like, all the time?

No no. Remotely sober, like, a long way away from sober.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

SROV vs ROV

Edit: I once watched an ROV feed where the operator spent a solid 45 minutes re-installing a marine cover (Plastic thing that covers connectors) on a subsea unit. It was mesmerising, constantly fumbling to position and install the thing. You'd need patience to be an ROV operator. Patience or booze.

Pile Of Garbage fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Jan 25, 2020

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

Wingnut Ninja posted:

ohhhhhhhhhh my bad, my bad, there's a lot of industry terminology i'm not yet familiar with.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Wingnut Ninja posted:

As long as the weed smell masks the alcohol smell you're fine unless you're dropping poo poo.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/AUwgn2q.mp4

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

I'm torn between admiration and, given this thread, a horrified anticipation that an I-beam is about to drop on him and paralyze him for life.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Wingnut Ninja posted:

I'm torn between admiration and, given this thread, a horrified anticipation that an I-beam is about to drop on him and paralyze him for life.

Heh, you fool. I-Beams are too expensive for that construction. They go with much more economical T-beam.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

https://twitter.com/cm_hedge/status/1219678224013086720?s=21

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Wingnut Ninja posted:

He’ll just bend his spine around it.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

I'm reminded of this classic:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBILh2WvUqY

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
what's really depressing is how many hours that dude spent to train to be a performer only to end up in construction.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Today I watched Buster Keaton's The General the first time and I'm just utterly impressed that this guy lived to the age of 70 with all the crazy stunts he's doing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPjwmp5qqm8&t=659s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPjwmp5qqm8&t=1567s

And then the wrecking of a locomotive because why not :zaurg:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPjwmp5qqm8&t=4073s

they then just left the wreck in the river and it stayed there as a landmark until WW2 when it was cut for scrap metal. Times were quite different 100 years ago.

Nenonen fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Jan 26, 2020

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Harold Lloyd was pretty amazing too - he performed crazy stunts despite blowing off half his hand when he lit the fuse on a bomb during a publicity shoot.

Prosthesis:

Bonus gag:

snugglz
Nov 12, 2004
moist sod for your hogan

corgski posted:

As long as the weed smell masks the alcohol smell you're fine unless you're dropping poo poo.

this is, unfortunately, quite accurate. a lot of the equipment operators I work with are completely stoned out of their gourds, all day long. one guy I still work with on a regular basis once reversed over a laser level (some rear end in a top hat musta moved it!) and stabbed a road case (I didn’t know this machine has the 7’ forks on it!) with a 10k telehandler... in the same day. zero reprimand. he has one of those vape pens you put raw hash oil into and hits it constantly

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011
Found this one on Reddit, skilled* meth lab wiring.

*skilled as in it presumably didn't result in this:

Selklubber
Jul 11, 2010
Actually working OSHA:
https://i.imgur.com/7LOhwHj.mp4
Posted to the PLC forum on reddit https://imgur.com/gallery/F7avvFZ

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

I'm gonna need some help on this one. It stops, is this not expected?

Selklubber
Jul 11, 2010
Yeah thats the point. It's some cool pictures from commisioning of the hydraulic press controls.

Cuazl
Mar 19, 2009

Looks like copper sulphate on a copper pipe, so I'm gonna guess it's another good reason not to pour concentrated sulphuric acid down the sink. Doubly so since the crystals are on the outside and the floor below doesn't look like it's supposed to be that colour, so it's probably been dripping onto that section of pipe from a leak above.

If so, it's a good thing it's been eating the pipes rather than starting fires. Diluting concentrated acids gives out a lot of heat - it's why every chemist'll tell you it's acid to water and not water to acid. Though usually it's because you don't want a spray of flash-boiling acid in your face. Bit like spitting in a deep fryer.

Could be some other copper salt, though. They're usually that nice blue if they aren't verdegris/turquoise. Also rather poisonous, mostly because you can overdose on copper.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Selklubber posted:

Actually working OSHA:
https://i.imgur.com/7LOhwHj.mp4
Posted to the PLC forum on reddit https://imgur.com/gallery/F7avvFZ
9/10, very by the book but you should never break a light curtain plane bodily on purpose. Do light curtain testing with a broomstick.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Boiled Water posted:

I'm gonna need some help on this one. It stops, is this not expected?

They are testing how long it takes for the press to stop - it's a big heavy part so the momentum will keep it going for a little bit longer. This in turn determines how far the curtain should be placed from the press, the light curtain is only safe if it stops the press before someone who has stumbled across it reaches the area where everything goes mushy.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.
Should still use an inanimate object instead of an important appendage.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

anonumos posted:

Then you're only sure it steps inanimate objects! Like the guy who said use a broom. Great, you know it stops a broom, but I am not a broom. Someone's gonna need to stick their dick in that thing before I trust it!

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Grem posted:

Someone's gonna need to stick their dick in that thing before I trust it!

Are we talking about the pickle slicer now? She's nice.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

anonumos posted:

*uses broom*
*broom handle gets crushed by hydraulic press, shooting a huge splinter that enters through eye socket and penetrates brain*
"You should have used your foot, you idiot! :argh:"

iroc.dis
Mar 15, 2013

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Does the acronym “FLS” make you break out in a cold sweat, or were they not on that job?

That wasn't ringing a bell so I had to google it. Flowserve right? I don't recall them on site but they may have been a supplier in some fashion. The main GC started out as Shaw, then CB&I, then for about a month it was a made up company called WecTec, then finally Fluor, then it shut down. At the biggest, I think we had about 8,000 field and field non-manual on site and on average maybe 2 recordable incidents per week. Good times.

MikeCrotch posted:

Why paper mills

I was with an industrial maintenance company at the time and worked a 2 week shut down at an IP pulp mill (although it has since been bought by some other company). From my perspective, the plant was just a mess. Tons of ancient out of service equipment that was left to rot in place. Everything was dirty. Green, white and black liquor everywhere. And drat near constant confined space issues. And obviously that loving smell.

This was an old mill so maybe newer ones are nicer, cleaner, and have their poo poo together.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

iroc.dis posted:

That wasn't ringing a bell so I had to google it. Flowserve right? I don't recall them on site but they may have been a supplier in some fashion. The main GC started out as Shaw, then CB&I, then for about a month it was a made up company called WecTec, then finally Fluor, then it shut down. At the biggest, I think we had about 8,000 field and field non-manual on site and on average maybe 2 recordable incidents per week. Good times.

Nah, Frank Lill and Son. They're one of the subs here that specializes in power plant construction, whenever a sub is doing something here that's going to give me an ulcer it's usually them. We're at 200 or so craft/FNM now, since it's getting to the end of the project, but we had a peak of only about 1200. I had figured it would be a lot more people for a GW+ plant. Our RIR for the project is, I poo poo you not, 1.09. Most of our recordables have been really dumb poo poo, like a guy who lit his pants all the way on fire, or the dude who stepped in a puddle and broke his ankle.

Mushika
Dec 22, 2010

iroc.dis posted:

And obviously that loving smell.

I have to say that the paper mill smell triggers fond memories of my father coming home at all hours of the night covered in pulp. He just retired after almost 50 years of being a paper maker, so the smell is one that I've been familiar with all of my life.

Then I think about how miserable that job made him and then the smell isn't so nice.

e: For OSHA thread content, when I was a kid, early to mid-80s I think, the paper mill still had "family day" once a year where workers could bring their families to the mill and show them around. The highlight was taking the families up to the highest easily accessible tower top on the plant grounds. When I look back on that, considering the kind of work I do and safety standards my line of work adheres to, it gives me the shivers. It was just a single metal handrail keeping small children from falling hundreds of feet. That's it. Oh, that and almost no one wore hard hats.

Mushika fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Jan 26, 2020

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Mushika posted:

e: For OSHA thread content, when I was a kid, early to mid-80s I think, the paper mill still had "family day" once a year where workers could bring their families to the mill and show them around. The highlight was taking the families up to the highest easily accessible tower top on the plant grounds. When I look back on that, considering the kind of work I do and safety standards my line of work adheres to, it gives me the shivers. It was just a single metal handrail keeping small children from falling hundreds of feet. That's it. Oh, that and almost no one wore hard hats.

Reminds me of the first time we went to House on the Rock, after walking through the guy's insane house, we took a photo on an outside balcony. My mom sat my lil sis on the railing like thirty feet above the tree canopy. I was super convinced that she was going to fall and die at that moment and remember having a small freakout.

I really need to go back there some day as an adult.

Mushika
Dec 22, 2010

I'm no carpenter, but there is just not enough cantilevering in the world that will get me on that.

Selklubber
Jul 11, 2010

anonumos posted:

You mean like this? To test which way the fan is blowing.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Mushika posted:

I'm no carpenter, but there is just not enough cantilevering in the world that will get me on that.

It's fun. If you jump up and down you can feel the room move.

https://www.loc.gov/search/?fa=subject:house+on+the+rock

MisterOblivious fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Jan 26, 2020

Hokkaido Anxiety
May 21, 2007

slub club 2013

iroc.dis posted:

I know this is the OSHA thread so this makes sense but it's insane to see so many power industry adjacent folks here.

Just going through a laundry list of folks getting out of building power plants there huh?

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://i.imgur.com/OPCRKgp.gifv

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

So, how the hell do you get off this head-injury machine?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

LifeSunDeath posted:

So, how the hell do you get off this head-injury machine?

You don't, those kids live there now producing green energy for everyone