Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

mobby_6kl posted:

Is there a decent app for calorie tracking that isn't MyFitnessPal? It's been annoying me with ads, pointless "community" poo poo and sending my data to u see armor recently. All it really needs is a half decent nutrition database.

I briefly considered ditching MFP for Chronometer after I saw it recommended on some Android site. I didn't use it long enough to really develop an opinion, but it seemed decent enough. (I just stuck with MFP because I'm a creature of habit and I have years worth of data already invested)

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.cronometer.android.gold&hl=en_US

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unf
Mar 6, 2004

incogneato posted:

Is there an app that will block all non-contact numbers from a certain area code?

I get at least two spam calls a day (it's gotten worse lately). Almost all of them are from my phone's area code. Because the numbers are spoofed to be random each time, blocking and reporting as spam apparently does nothing.

But I don't live in the same area code as my phone number any longer, so I know that any call with that area code that isn't already in my contacts must be spam.

Is this possible? If it is possible, is it doable without resorting to a custom dialer app? I'm on a stock Pixel 3, and would prefer to keep using the stock Android dialer.

If your phone supports it (the article says Pixel 4 but I've heard it's on the Pixel 3 but I haven't tried), you could try enabling Automatic Call Screening

https://support.google.com/phoneapp/answer/9118387

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

unf posted:

If your phone supports it (the article says Pixel 4 but I've heard it's on the Pixel 3 but I haven't tried), you could try enabling Automatic Call Screening

https://support.google.com/phoneapp/answer/9118387

For some reason I thought I read that's a Pixel 4 exclusive feature for now. I used it on my phone and it rules, I can watch the confused robocall hear the google voice then give up.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

LastInLine posted:

In theory anyone who pays for it can use the survey app to publish surveys. In practice it's usually Google's. You got one of the actual paying customers' surveys.

Yeah, back in '16 on a lark I spent $10 on a 100-response surveys "Rate your agreement on the statement 'The U.S. Government spends too much money on the Autobots waging their battles to destroy the evil forces of the Decepticons'"

Also did a "Did you know that pretty much anyone can buy one of these surveys?" survey with the free survey credits I got for buying the first one.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
What's a good word processor sort of app? I'm not looking for anything extensive, I just want to type a lot of poo poo and save it in a file.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

YggiDee posted:

What's a good word processor sort of app? I'm not looking for anything extensive, I just want to type a lot of poo poo and save it in a file.

Microsoft word is free. Google docs probably integrates better with the ecosystem, also free

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Y'know, sometimes you fall so far down the rabbit hole of weird/obscure apps that you forget normal people use phones for stuff too :v: (thanks)

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Its honestly refreshing to see a question like that in lieu of "What twitter app or podcast app should I use" every 2 pages.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
What's a good browser if I want to use Google extensions? Dark Viewer, LastPass, and Ublock Origin are essential for me at this point so I don't bother with non-supported browsers. Using Kiwi right now but just figured I'd ask.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Robo Reagan posted:

What's a good browser if I want to use Google extensions? Dark Viewer, LastPass, and Ublock Origin are essential for me at this point so I don't bother with non-supported browsers. Using Kiwi right now but just figured I'd ask.

Do they have to be google extensions? Firefox supports all of those I believe in their extension library. For LastPass you'll probably need to download the lastpass app and give it access to your browser

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Firefox definitely has Ublock.

I use it, and the LastPass app integrates with it.

e: Also, thanks for the AMdroid recommendation, thread title. This rocks.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Is there a good way to transfer my passwords/bookmarks/etc from chrome to Firefox or do I have to do it all the long way?

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Is there a shared password manager? I'd like an app that my wife and I can both access that has common accounts like Netflix and stuff.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
Bitwarden is my go to password manager and it has sharing features which are very much like a common password database. This works well if you have some you don't want to share as well as ones you do.

If absolutely everything: Still bitwarden and just give her your login credentials

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
1password is great, maybe a bit pricey but worth it IMO

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

dissss posted:

1password is great, maybe a bit pricey but worth it IMO

Yeah this is what I used

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Is there any analog for the iOS app Sofa?
It’s essentially a watchlist type app, but it has the ability to make custom lists with any type of media (movies, TV, books, games, podcasts) complete with searching to pull proper names and cover art. I know of things like Trakt but I’m hoping to find a single app that’ll let me keep my lists of things I wanna watch, play, and read together while looking nice and not cluttered with other notes or anything.
Bit of a specific request, I know, but fingers crossed...

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
So my Google Rewards surveys have been coming in pretty steadily lately and just now it asked if I ever watch Youtube. Having been watching Youtube all day and I accidentally pressed No and now I am afraid I blackballed myself from surveys...

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Most of the YouTube surveys don't give you bucks are are just to help with recommendations, i skip them most of the time

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Skarsnik posted:

Most of the YouTube surveys don't give you bucks are are just to help with recommendations, i skip them most of the time

While I find the YouTube surveys the most annoying, they usually get me around fifty cents.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Twitter on Chrome has started vibrating when I "like" a post. How do I make it stop?

I'm okay if there's a way to disable any website or Chrome itself from making my phone vibrate, actually.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Uthor posted:

Twitter on Chrome has started vibrating when I "like" a post. How do I make it stop?

I'm okay if there's a way to disable any website or Chrome itself from making my phone vibrate, actually.

On the desktop version of Chrome I'd expect something like that to be under "Site Settings" which is accessed by the lock icon in the URL bar > Site Settings. I guess it's not surprising that on the desktop there is no toggle for vibration (I was hoping you could've synced it), but maybe there's a similar place in the app. Hopefully that could help you with at least a search term for it.

SpiderLink
Oct 3, 2006

sleepwalkers posted:

Is there any analog for the iOS app Sofa?
It’s essentially a watchlist type app, but it has the ability to make custom lists with any type of media (movies, TV, books, games, podcasts) complete with searching to pull proper names and cover art. I know of things like Trakt but I’m hoping to find a single app that’ll let me keep my lists of things I wanna watch, play, and read together while looking nice and not cluttered with other notes or anything.
Bit of a specific request, I know, but fingers crossed...

This looks really great, I'd love to find an equivalent. I use Series Guide for TV and Anime but I think that runs off of Trakt like you said.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

What is a good alternative to Timely now that my Nokia 7 plus likes to whine that it isn't an Android 10 app? I got really used to it and the cloud based alarms I used between all my android devices.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Guillermus posted:

What is a good alternative to Timely now that my Nokia 7 plus likes to whine that it isn't an Android 10 app? I got really used to it and the cloud based alarms I used between all my android devices.

It's the title of the thread, dude

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

LastInLine posted:

TBF, it's not exactly a descriptive name. Maybe we can update the title to give two word descriptions?

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

LastInLine posted:

Twitter Client, File Explorer and Alarm Clock question posts are how I know the sun has risen on a new day. It's part of the Apps thread ecosystem.

For content's sake, the WeatherCAN app from Environment and Climate Change Canada has been worth it for the Weather Alerts alone in the last few weeks in Vancouver. It's not the only place that does this by any means but one tap for the actual alert text directly from an authoratative source is worth it for me. (I suppose it's also a way I could find out about that sun rising thing, I mean it's plainly right there in the app)

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

LastInLine posted:

Literally putting AMDroid in the spanish google play search showed me a dozen different apps, the third was the actual AMdroid app, which seems to have ads, I'll gice it a try.

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

Guillermus posted:

Literally putting AMDroid in the spanish google play search showed me a dozen different apps, the third was the actual AMdroid app, which seems to have ads, I'll gice it a try.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.amdroidalarmclock.amdroid

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Vykk.Draygo posted:

TBF, it's not exactly a descriptive name. Maybe we can update the title to give two word descriptions?

No doubt it's a terrible name and the app store description is even worse.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Thanks, AMdroid worked fine. For some reason there's a 2€ donation to remove ads but I haven't seen one yet, if I like it enough I'll just drop that.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Guillermus posted:

Thanks, AMdroid worked fine. For some reason there's a 2€ donation to remove ads but I haven't seen one yet, if I like it enough I'll just drop that.

It's worth whatever they're asking. They add features regularly and it's got everyone's pet feature for an alarm clock no matter what it is. I love the scheduling based on a Google Calendar which is something I wouldn't have suspected.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I think the ads come up whenever you turn off a ringing alarm.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

YggiDee posted:

I think the ads come up whenever you turn off a ringing alarm.
Yup, when I unlocked my phone afterwards, there'd be an ad I had to get out of. No biggie, but it was worth the $2.

I am trying to find a setting in it, tho. The first Snooze I hit works fine, but if I try to hit it a second time, I need to unlock the phone. (And in theory let's say I wanted to hit it a third time? It works fine again. It's only the second one.)

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

What's your screen time out and snooze intervals set to?

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

LastInLine posted:

What's your screen time out and snooze intervals set to?
Both 5 minutes. So you're saying that's my problem :)

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

dwarf74 posted:

Both 5 minutes. So you're saying that's my problem :)

I'm speculating but I think if the alarm goes off when the screen is on the default action is an overlay (maybe a heads-up notification?) instead of the full screen alarm screen. Let's say the alarm goes off *just* before the screen goes off, now there's no full screen alarm screen and just a notification and the phone is locked.

Obviously the solution is to move the snooze to 6 minutes (can't do seconds, I checked) or change your screen timeout to something shorter. I looked at the notification channels and there's a note for Ongoing Alarm (Heads Up Notification) that states that pop-up must be enabled in Android 10 for the alarm screen to work at all so that means that the banner and the full screen alarm screen are, to the app, the same thing that are dependent on the state of the screen when the alarm triggers. I thought at one point there was an option to use the banner rather than full screen when the screen is on (maybe four versions ago?) but I can't find it now and it might've been removed after Android 10's release but if you see it, disabling the banner should work for you too.

Edit: Found it in the changelog. Version 4.3 second bullet point. I can't copy the entry but the banner/full screen toggle cannot be used in Android 10.

ClassActionFursuit fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Jan 25, 2020

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
I think that's a good idea. Would also explain why subsequent alarms work as expected. Thanks for the suggestion.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.
Got an email that Pepperplate, my recipe app of choice, is going subscription.

What's a good free or single-purchase multi-platform recipe app? I only have about thirty recipes to move over, so automatic Pepperplate importing would be nice, but not essential.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Anyone using NewPipe can confirm video playback just plain doesn't work at the moment? I'm dreading this being a 'me' problem.