Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Kennel posted:

Is there any notable drawbacks in starting a killing spree, if my non-lethal approach fails in MGSV?

You might grow a cool devil horn

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Not really, you might miss some optional objectives but the game is built with replaying missions in mind anyway.
Besides, MGS5 does the Dishonored thing where the game becomes increasingly more fun as things spiral out of control over trivial fuckups.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Jan 22, 2020

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Enemies will start wearing armor and gear appropriate to the ways you used to pick them off, so the more often you go full tilt and just start to run in guns blazing, the harder it will become to do that in the future. Headshot a bunch of guys and they start wearing helmets, that kind of thing.

And yeah, otherwise it doesn't do a lot. After all, you are already a demon.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Cardiovorax posted:

Enemies will start wearing armor and gear appropriate to the ways you used to pick them off, so the more often you go full tilt and just start to run in guns blazing, the harder it will become to do that in the future. Headshot a bunch of guys and they start wearing helmets, that kind of thing.

it's very much a game that encourages you to vary your approach, since if you ghost a lot of bases you'll get a lot of guys with night-vision goggles but none of the body-armor guys, which makes it easier to go rambo if you want to, and vice-versa

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Cardiovorax posted:

Adding to this, there are missions you can send dudes on to destroy supply lines for helmets and armor and poo poo, so you can mitigate the preventative measures the enemies take.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
going nuts in enemy bases with a grenade launcher was so fun, I really wish MGS5 had a hard mode so I could replay it, cuz every time it's just been way too easy to clear out a base, despite how fun the gunplay is

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
MGS 5 is surprisingly accessible to mods, so you can probably find a hard mode mod that does that for you quite easily.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
I had a blast using the mini mech and going full Front Mission Evolved on bases, just powersliding and going apeshit

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Although I know the game has a bad reputation, I had a blast playing Metal Gear Survive (which is basically a full conversion mod for MGS5) and the Walker Gear in that game is hilariously powerful compared to the enemies you face. Every time you are handed one, it feels like you were suddenly granted a superpower. Just smash crystal zombies left and right, it's great.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

Anything for Impire?

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Cardiovorax posted:

Although I know the game has a bad reputation, I had a blast playing Metal Gear Survive (which is basically a full conversion mod for MGS5) and the Walker Gear in that game is hilariously powerful compared to the enemies you face. Every time you are handed one, it feels like you were suddenly granted a superpower. Just smash crystal zombies left and right, it's great.
It is pretty great to be able to build an effective fort in a short amount of time. The speed running aspect of the game is always fun in coop and you always find people who put in more time and know what to do with each map.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Anything I should know/watch out for in Battlefleet Gothic: Armada 2?

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
Grabbed Code Vein on sale, having fun. Mostly curious about missables and building my anime vampire properly?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

There isn't really anything you can do wrong with that game. There are only very few missables and they all relate to which ending you get, so giving any concrete answers there would be spoilers. Just watch all the vestiges. When it comes to building your character, the thing about the game is that it has job classes pretty much straight out of Final Fantasy 5 and those determine your base stats at any given level. Since you can't really do anything wrong when investing your souls, you can basically just increase your level whenever you feel you need more oomph or max health and otherwise invest it into buying any skills you want.

Otherwise, the hints on the Wiki are good. Code Vein is a very straightforward game and it is incredibly hard to gently caress up in a permanent manner.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
The End is Nigh
- You have all your movement abilities from the start, but the game doesn’t tell you how to use some of them until later.
- The first keys to open the locked blocks are in the world where Flight of the Bumblebee plays, you can’t find any before then.
- Every screen has a tumor unless the tumor marker is crossed off.
- Sometimes a tumor is easier to reach if you come back in from the exit, but occasionally backtracking is impossible without restarting the whole area, so it’s usually worth trying to get it “the right way” at least a couple times.
- You should try to collect a decent number of tumors even if you don’t plan to 100% the game.
- If you see a little gap in a wall, etc that seems like a pain in the rear end to get to, there’s probably a small secret there.
- The second ending and the final area are unlocked by finding all 450 tumors.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

There is tips for Middle-Earth: Shadow of Mordor on the wiki, but not for it's sequel Middle-Earth: Shadow of War. So some tips for that game please. I have not played the first game.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Mierenneuker posted:

There is tips for Middle-Earth: Shadow of Mordor on the wiki, but not for it's sequel Middle-Earth: Shadow of War. So some tips for that game please. I have not played the first game.

I was just about to look for that. I picked up Shadow of War for sale after checking that the online rank, grind, micro transactions etc. Was removed aftet launch but even so it seems like they made a lot of gameplay changes from the first one.

The Nemesis system seemed awesome and with a ton of potential but I kept seeing things pop up how it shook out to be annoying as gently caress and loving up major quests when your nigh immortal nemesis pops in with an honor guard while you are on a stealth mission.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.
Is the wiki page for Slay the Spire still up to date? I suspect the game may have been updated some since the page was last edited. I see there's a very active thread on the game here, but for somebody effectively just starting out (or getting back to it after not having played the game in quite awhile), anything important to know beyond what's currently on the wiki?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

pentyne posted:

I was just about to look for that. I picked up Shadow of War for sale after checking that the online rank, grind, micro transactions etc. Was removed aftet launch but even so it seems like they made a lot of gameplay changes from the first one.
There really was only ever a grind if you chose to do the Shadow Wars postgame stuff, which basically existed just to give people who are into that kind of online rank stuff something grindy to do. The changes haven't fixed that, because it is a lovely game mode and that can't really be changed.

The base game itself isn't grindy, though, and never really was even when I played it right after release. I particularly recommend checking out the new difficulty levels that were patched in. One of them is a lot like a DMC-style Heaven And Hell mode - everything does crazy damage, including yourself. It's a really different but very fun way to play.

I also made a post about good abilities to get first just a few pages ago, I guess it was never added to the wiki. I would suggest just looking for it, it can't be far away.

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004
Weight gain is impossible.

McCoy Pauley posted:

Is the wiki page for Slay the Spire still up to date? I suspect the game may have been updated some since the page was last edited. I see there's a very active thread on the game here, but for somebody effectively just starting out (or getting back to it after not having played the game in quite awhile), anything important to know beyond what's currently on the wiki?

Looks fine to me. One of the tips about healing to full after bosses isn't quite true after a few ascensions, but you still heal to pretty close to full.

Jorbs has a lot of videos of Slay the Spire, some of which are "overexplain" runs where he talks through every decision he makes. I didn't have the patience for the overexplain runs but others are good once you've gotten a few runs in to see how an experienced player structures a deck. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=user?JoINrbs?videos

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Cardiovorax posted:

I also made a post about good abilities to get first just a few pages ago, I guess it was never added to the wiki. I would suggest just looking for it, it can't be far away.

Cheers. Quoting so it'll be easy for me to look at later on.

Cardiovorax posted:

If you're just playing the main story campaign, you can basically do whatever, it really isn't very hard. Just pick the captains you think are fun, they'll nearly all become outleveled by better captains from more difficult regions anyway. As of the latest patch, you will receive 80 perk points from level ups plus a number from side missions and special achievement-type stuff, so you'll have pretty much for anything you want.

Get all the main perks (the big symbols) first because they're all good for something no matter how you specifically want to play. You will receive enough points to get pretty much all of them, but the ones I find particular useful are: double parry (your ghost parries an extra dude for you, you never get attacked by more than two at a time), quick dominate, extra drops, Shadow Strike Pull (teleport orc to you instead of you to orc, great for stealthy captain grabbing to high places) as well as the one that lets you shadow mount unbroken Carragors plus the one that grabs all Carragors around them. That can single-handedly take out entire mounted patrols and neuter them completely. I also like the one that lets you poison grog at a distance because it makes it so that when you shoot them, there is a massive explosion of Balefire (poison flame) that kills practically anything short of a captain in one hit.

Otherwise, just experiment! This is a game for loving around in and everything is good for something.

Truman Sticks
Nov 2, 2011

Eldred posted:

Jorbs has a lot of videos of Slay the Spire, some of which are "overexplain" runs where he talks through every decision he makes. I didn't have the patience for the overexplain runs but others are good once you've gotten a few runs in to see how an experienced player structures a deck. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=user?JoINrbs?videos

I second the suggestion to look up Jorbs' videos to learn more.

One major takeaway I got from Jorbs was this: in the first act, treat your HP as a resource just like gold. If you find yourself near full health most of the time, you should be taking riskier fights to try and use some of that HP to get more powerful relics and cards. Don't be afraid to use campfires to rest when you play this way; the rewards you get for fighting elites can be way better than upgrading a single card.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Yeah, the StS wiki stuff all seems accurate for first time players. I wouldn't worry about throwing in addendums about Ascensions because by the time someone is playing Ascensions they'll have a grasp on the game (and the Ascensions tell you what they're changing as you unlock them).

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.

Truman Sticks posted:

I second the suggestion to look up Jorbs' videos to learn more.

One major takeaway I got from Jorbs was this: in the first act, treat your HP as a resource just like gold. If you find yourself near full health most of the time, you should be taking riskier fights to try and use some of that HP to get more powerful relics and cards. Don't be afraid to use campfires to rest when you play this way; the rewards you get for fighting elites can be way better than upgrading a single card.

Thanks. Should I presume that early on (or maybe even for the whole run) my main way to heal will be campfires? I've definitely been shying away from elites even at the beginning because I've been worries about conserving what seems like a very modest about of HP.

This is playing as the second character (the green one), if that makes a difference. I presume they all play somewhat differently, right?

The game probably explained this to me way back when I first tried it, and I've since forgotten, but what am I unlocking with the progress towards unlocks I see over the first three characters (those are the only three available to me right now).

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
2nd (prolly also last unless I start feeling I'm missing something) request for 'before I play' advice on Battlefleet Gothic Armada 2. Did the prologue/tutorial, starting on the Imperium Campaign when I'm feeling up to it.

Something I did figure out after a bit of trial & a lot of error is that torpedoes aren't actually aimed automatically at any target, and are instead shot forward from the front of the ship when you click the torpedo button. I'm guessing later on I'll run into more abilities that work this way, so I'm not yet sure on the wording for a general bit of advice to put in a potential Before I Play page for the game.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

McCoy Pauley posted:

Thanks. Should I presume that early on (or maybe even for the whole run) my main way to heal will be campfires? I've definitely been shying away from elites even at the beginning because I've been worries about conserving what seems like a very modest about of HP.

This is playing as the second character (the green one), if that makes a difference. I presume they all play somewhat differently, right?

The game probably explained this to me way back when I first tried it, and I've since forgotten, but what am I unlocking with the progress towards unlocks I see over the first three characters (those are the only three available to me right now).

There is very little healing in the game outside of campfires, a few potions, some events (question marks on the map), and some artifacts. If you beat the boss, you heal before the next level too.

Avoiding elites seems sensible because they can be bastards when starting out, but honestly you want their artifacts. The more artifacts you have the better. If you reckon you can fight an elite without definitely dying, I'd generally fight an elite.

All three (four!) characters play differently, yes (and have different card libraries to draw from). As you unlock stuff it'll either be cards for that character, or artifacts. These can show up in future runs.

The thread is very newbie friendly, so if you have specific questions just ask there.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Zaodai posted:

Yeah, the StS wiki stuff all seems accurate for first time players. I wouldn't worry about throwing in addendums about Ascensions because by the time someone is playing Ascensions they'll have a grasp on the game (and the Ascensions tell you what they're changing as you unlock them).
One Ascension-related thing could be mentioned, though: playing on Ascension 1 actually makes the game easier by giving you more relic opportunities.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Before I start Metro 2033, am I remembering correctly that there's some kind of weird screwup with how difficulty is calibrated such that higher difficulty levels are actually easier?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Omi no Kami posted:

Before I start Metro 2033, am I remembering correctly that there's some kind of weird screwup with how difficulty is calibrated such that higher difficulty levels are actually easier?
Yes. It does the STALKER thing where difficulty reduces all damage, including yours, turning enemies into ammo-eating bullet sponges.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

PMush Perfect posted:

Yes. It does the STALKER thing where difficulty reduces all damage, including yours, turning enemies into ammo-eating bullet sponges.

I'm glad I asked before starting... is there a recommended difficulty for optimal fun? A lot of people recommend Ranger, but I'm unclear whether that's "This is fun," or "This is hard and insanely frustrating."

Zushio
May 8, 2008
I too would like to know, after getting stuck in both games due to going broke accidentally.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I played on Hard when I actually beat the game. From what I remember, the really awful bits, the stealth sections, are A) mostly difficulty-independent, and B) only really bearable if you can at least guarantee that you can quickly stealth kill enemies. Everything else is probably fine as long as you remember it's a shooter where you're a glass cannon.

Karneios
Nov 5, 2009
An important question with ranger difficulty is if you're playing original or redux because they're different, with last light and beyond they made ranger also get rid of most of the hud elements and I hated that where I really liked ranger in the original where it was just difficulty stuff not getting rid of your hud so you have to mash interact in dark corners to find things

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

I recently played Metro 2033 Redux on Normal-Survival and it was fun. It never was really challenging, but I stuck to stealth as much as possible and had to deal with groups of (human) enemies less.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

PMush Perfect posted:

Shadows of the Empire does something like this. On hard difficulty you get half health and enemies get double health (roughly), but on Jedi difficuly everyone dies in one or two hits so it actually a lot easier if you can remember enemy locations.

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

Mierenneuker posted:

I've created a page now from all of the tips I found throughout the thread.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Awesome.

For those who've played Shadow of War: what determines whether you can destroy a piece of equipment and turn it into currency? I think whites and purples are off-limits, but I have no idea why it only sometimes works on yellows and oranges. I'm not fiending for currency, but I like cleaning up my inventory after I've killed a dozen captains.

Zushio
May 8, 2008
I should point out I only have the original versions of both Metro games.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Mierenneuker posted:

Awesome.

For those who've played Shadow of War: what determines whether you can destroy a piece of equipment and turn it into currency? I think whites and purples are off-limits, but I have no idea why it only sometimes works on yellows and oranges. I'm not fiending for currency, but I like cleaning up my inventory after I've killed a dozen captains.

I have no idea why the shortcut to destroy it directly from the inventory screen only shows up sometimes, but if you open the modify option there will be an option to dismantle it into elfbucks. Whites are also dismantlable except for your starting equipment, probably so you can't accidentally do something silly and destroy all your swords without even a lovely level 1 backup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.

PMush Perfect posted:

Is this still true in the Redux version?